Clover problems report & features request

ErmaC
953 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, iCanaro said:

@vector sigma 

I "fixed" update to catalina 10.15.4 stable with Clover 5098

Take you good EFI folder with clover 5098 and replace ONE file from 5107. The file is named CLOVERX64.efi.

Only this file!

• Like 2

The latest Catalina update came alongside a nasty issue, this may be a permanent damage to the machine. Perhaps some bug in Clover+ Catalina 15.4 messed up something inside the BIOS, a corruption? I have already posted on this thread

You do not need to answer in here, wanted to let you know about it, in case this is an issue. This could bring many working Hacintoshes to be un-hackintosh-able, if this is not just about my machine.

2 hours ago, Vyzantion said:

The latest Catalina update came alongside a nasty issue, this may be a permanent damage to the machine. Perhaps some bug in Clover+ Catalina 15.4 messed up something inside the BIOS, a corruption? I have already posted on this thread

Why I have the sensation that the rtc patch location is changed in 10.15.4?

Not sure if this is a bug, or something else, but I'll mention it here.   I upgraded from 5018 to 5107, on a perfectly working config, only to find my mouse now doesn't register mouse clicks on the clover GUI.  The cursor moves, but I cant click on any of the drives, or clover options.  Keyboard still works fine.  (Both are USB).

Not sure if related, but it seems clover no responds to the boot timeout value in the config (eg. auto boot after 6 seconds) , it just waits for user input to select a drive.

5 hours ago, avian said:

Not sure if this is a bug, or something else, but I'll mention it here.   I upgraded from 5018 to 5107, on a perfectly working config, only to find my mouse now doesn't register mouse clicks on the clover GUI.  The cursor moves, but I cant click on any of the drives, or clover options.  Keyboard still works fine.  (Both are USB).

Not sure if related, but it seems clover no responds to the boot timeout value in the config (eg. auto boot after 6 seconds) , it just waits for user input to select a drive.

Yes, it was a bug.

Test this version

CLOVERX64.efi.zip

I have a suggestion that might make life easier for point and version upgrades of MacOS.

I just upgraded from 10.15.3 to 10.15.4 using Clover r5107.  Went Perfectly!!!

[my SSD Name] was set as the DefaultVolume in Clover.

I had to select 'Boot macOS Install from [my SSD Name] - Data' twice before that choice finally disappeared and I was left with 'Boot macOS from [my SSD Name]'. 

If Clover sees 'Install' AND 'Data' surrounding the DefaultVolume's name, could it be set to auto-boot from that 'Install' partition (with optional flag to turn off the behavior), as it seems this confuses a lot of new users who always mess up this step during an upgrade?

It would also mean that a user wouldn't have to be present for the restarts during an upgrade, as is required now.

• Like 1

I have a suggestion that might make life easier for point and version upgrades of MacOS.

I just upgraded from 10.15.3 to 10.15.4 using Clover r5107.  Went Perfectly!!!

[my SSD Name] was set as the DefaultVolume in Clover.

I had to select 'Boot macOS Install from [my SSD Name] - Data' twice before that choice finally disappeared and I was left with 'Boot macOS from [my SSD Name]'. 

If Clover sees 'Install' AND 'Data' surrounding the DefaultVolume's name, could it be set to auto-boot from that 'Install' partition (with optional flag to turn off the behavior), as it seems this confuses a lot of new users who always mess up this step during an upgrade?

It would also mean that a user wouldn't have to be present for the restarts during an upgrade, as is required now.
yes. but if lang is kor, parition label nams is "Install" and "데이터".

나의 SM-N960N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, vector sigma said:

Why I have the sensation that the rtc patch location is changed in 10.15.4?

Right now, I have two pen drives, one with the installer of Mojave, one with the installer of the latest Catalina. Neither work on this machine. No acces to a real Mac or Hackintosh to re-create the pen drives. Is there a build-in function of Clover to allow me to try to fix the issue?

On 3/29/2020 at 11:14 AM, Sherlocks said:

yes. but if lang is kor, parition label nams is "Install" and "데이터".

나의 SM-N960N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Would adding two additional strings to the language localization make that work? 

I'm unclear on how 'text' searches work with alphabets other than English.  I can deal with the way Clover works now, but this one thing really does seem to cause new Hackintosh users a lot of grief when upgrading.

At least I learned something today!  I'd previously assumed (how foolish of me) that the symbols of Asian languages were all the same.  Koren looks elegant and the basic alphabet easy to learn.

On 3/29/2020 at 7:42 PM, Vyzantion said:

Right now, I have two pen drives, one with the installer of Mojave, one with the installer of the latest Catalina. Neither work on this machine. No acces to a real Mac or Hackintosh to re-create the pen drives. Is there a build-in function of Clover to allow me to try to fix the issue?

Updated the BIOS. Another CMOS reset. Issue still there? This probably hardware. If it were software, I guess it should have been fixed with all that. Right?

On 3/29/2020 at 2:01 PM, avian said:

Thanks Slice.  Unfortunately it behaves the same way.  I'd be happy to try any others, or supply a log if that would help.

I afraid you changed the file Cloverx64.efi but booted with file BootX64.efi as usual.

Sure you started new Clover. Provide preboot.log as a proof.

17 hours ago, Vyzantion said:

Would it be possible to install Catalina from a dual-lawer DVD booted through Clover from a pen-drive or another CD-Rom? This may be the only way I could install Catalina on this system.

Yes, possible. Official Clover release contains ISO that is bootable from DVD drive if burn it to DVD disk.

On 4/1/2020 at 2:41 PM, Slice said:

I afraid you changed the file Cloverx64.efi but booted with file BootX64.efi as usual.

Sure you started new Clover. Provide preboot.log as a proof. 

You were right.  I did a bcfg boot add and made cloverx64.efi entry 00.  Mouse clicks work fine now.  Thanks Slice.

Edited by avian

10 hours ago, Slice said:

Type F9 and see what is happen.

F9 gave me this image which didn't display the SSD name selected at all.

It was non-responsive to the keyboard or mouse after that.

I rebooted to insure that I had also tried the mouse.  This time, F9 didn't display the lower resolution screen, but instead rebooted the system.  I tried again, another reboot, and on the 2nd try got the lower resolution screen again.

Note: if I DON'T hit F9, I have full mouse and keyboard control and I can boot up into 10.15.4 without issues (so far).

Clover_Aero_after_F9.JPG

Edited by exquirentibus
added new info that I CAN boot ok with 5109, only F9 is a problem
  • Sad 1

I found out recently that I had an older patch, from years ago, in my config.plist - that caused a problem after moving to 10.15.4 and updating all the kexts.

Newer versions of WEG/Lilu, etc. are beginning to take over many functions that were previously handled thru config.plist patches.

Possibly a 'Sanity Checker' for config.plist that would flag patches and settings that are likely problematic would be useful - and result in fewer users with issues that they don't understand?

It might, optionally, also remove or comment them out, making a backup?  Allso possibly making a complete EFI backup to the EFI of a thumb drive so that in the case of failure, the user would still be able to boot?

I  found  this  in  my  boot.log :

3:326  0:000  === [ PutNvramPlistToRtVars ] ===================

3:326  0:000   Adding Key: bluetoothActiveControllerInfo: Size = 16, Data: 01 00 12 0A 00 00 00 00 16 1A 00 15 FFFFFF83 30 65 3C

3:326  0:000   Adding Key: efi-boot-device-data: Size = 85, Data: 02 01 0C 00 FFFFFFD0 41 08 0A 00 00 00 00 01 01 06 00 02 1F 01 04 15 00 FFFFFFC5 FFFFFFFA 31 FFFFFFCF 4E FFFFFFC2 FFFFFFD2 11 FFFFFF85 FFFFFFF3 00 FFFFFFA0 FFFFFFC9 3E FFFFFFC9 3B FFFFFF80 04 01 2A 00 02 00 00 00 00 48 06 00 00 00 00 00 68 FFFFFFC1 FFFFFFCC 07 00 00 00 00 FFFFFF84 FFFFFFD4 FFFFFFAA FFFFFFBA FFFFFFD9 59 FFFFFFD5 49 FFFFFFBE 72 13 FFFFFFC1 69 FFFFFF92 FFFFFFA7 FFFFFFE6 02 02 7F FFFFFFFF 04 00
3:326  0:000   Adding Key: fmm-computer-name: Size = 8, Data: 4D 61 63 50 72 6F 35 31

3:326  0:000  === [ InitXTheme ] ==============================

Maybe  it's  a  bug ?     I  use  the  last  Clover revision: 5112 (commit 36b908900)

14 hours ago, AndyYa said:

I  found  this  in  my  boot.log :

3:326  0:000  === [ PutNvramPlistToRtVars ] ===================

3:326  0:000   Adding Key: bluetoothActiveControllerInfo: Size = 16, Data: 01 00 12 0A 00 00 00 00 16 1A 00 15 FFFFFF83 30 65 3C

3:326  0:000   Adding Key: efi-boot-device-data: Size = 85, Data: 02 01 0C 00 FFFFFFD0 41 08 0A 00 00 00 00 01 01 06 00 02 1F 01 04 15 00 FFFFFFC5 FFFFFFFA 31 FFFFFFCF 4E FFFFFFC2 FFFFFFD2 11 FFFFFF85 FFFFFFF3 00 FFFFFFA0 FFFFFFC9 3E FFFFFFC9 3B FFFFFF80 04 01 2A 00 02 00 00 00 00 48 06 00 00 00 00 00 68 FFFFFFC1 FFFFFFCC 07 00 00 00 00 FFFFFF84 FFFFFFD4 FFFFFFAA FFFFFFBA FFFFFFD9 59 FFFFFFD5 49 FFFFFFBE 72 13 FFFFFFC1 69 FFFFFF92 FFFFFFA7 FFFFFFE6 02 02 7F FFFFFFFF 04 00
3:326  0:000   Adding Key: fmm-computer-name: Size = 8, Data: 4D 61 63 50 72 6F 35 31

3:326  0:000  === [ InitXTheme ] ==============================

Maybe  it's  a  bug ?     I  use  the  last  Clover revision: 5112 (commit 36b908900)

Could be a bug. Also, your nvram.plist already probably contains the erroneous data now. Post your nvram.plist please.

Also, do you know, for example, what should be the correct data for bluetoothActiveControlerInfo or other nvram key with problems? (Perhaps an older log?)

@Jief_Machak Perhaps due to the change of AsciiSPrint in Nvram.cpp, maybe this commit?

Edited by Pene

This FFFF happened when I converted a AsciiPrint that uses %{number}X format with a 64 bits value.

The same idea could have happen if there were a format to print 8 bits values but 32 bits values were given. But there is not such AsciiPrint format.

Maybe the bug I introduced put some invalid values and yes, asking for nvram.plist is the first thing to check.

Shame I didn't think about this 32 bits format/64 bits values side effect...

Wait and see.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

This FFFF happened when I converted a AsciiPrint that uses %{number}X format with a 64 bits value.

The same idea could have happen if there were a format to print 8 bits values but 32 bits values were given. But there is not such AsciiPrint format.

Maybe the bug I introduced put some invalid values and yes, asking for nvram.plist is the first thing to check.

Shame I didn't think about this 32 bits format/64 bits values side effect...

Wait and see.

The thing is that even if the bug is fixed his nvram.plist was probably saved and keeps containing the invalid values. If you think you fixed it, t probably should be just deleted, and see if the problem repeats.

9 hours ago, Pene said:

Could be a bug. Also, your nvram.plist already probably contains the erroneous data now. Post your nvram.plist please.

Also, do you know, for example, what should be the correct data for bluetoothActiveControlerInfo or other nvram key with problems? (Perhaps an older log?)

I have  attached  my  nvram.plist

nvram.plist.zip

nvram.plist

• Like 1