Clover problems report & features request

ErmaC
953 posts in this topic

kext injection does not work in Catalina

I have InjectKexts set to Detect in config.plist

Have FakeSMC and several other including Lilu/WhateverGreen in kexts/Other

I try to boot Catalina installer (with its shipped prelinkedkernel).

When I get to the menus, I open Terminal, then run kextstat (from Mojave volume /usr/sbin), and the injected kexts are not there!  All other kexts seem to be ok.

I try to boot Mojave Recovery partition (with its shipped prelinkedkernel).

Get to menus, open Terminal, run kextstat, and the injected kexts are there!

This is a problem because I need WhateverGreen with the shipped prelinkedkernel.

PS Clover is release 5096 from github.

Edited by Zenith432
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zenith432 said:

kext injection does not work in Catalina

I have InjectKexts set to Detect in config.plist

Have FakeSMC and several other including Lilu/WhateverGreen in kexts/Other

I try to boot Catalina installer (with its shipped prelinkedkernel).

When I get to the menus, I open Terminal, then run kextstat (from Mojave volume /usr/sbin), and the injected kexts are not there!  All other kexts seem to be ok.

I try to boot Mojave Recovery partition (with its shipped prelinkedkernel).

Get to menus, open Terminal, run kextstat, and the injected kexts are there!

This is a problem because I need WhateverGreen with the shipped prelinkedkernel.

PS Clover is release 5096 from github.

Try Injectkext = Yes

its work

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@chris1111: You're right, it's just the Detect feature that is broken.  Setting it to true makes the injection.

Now I have a bigger problem which is that AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer hangs even with current Lilu/WhateverGreen injected.  The Device is 0x3e91 (UHD 630).  I have to disable the kext with bootarg -DisableIOFB.  This means even if I install Catalina I won't have AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer working.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/12/2019 at 8:50 PM, Zenith432 said:

@chris1111: You're right, it's just the Detect feature that is broken.  Setting it to true makes the injection.

Now I have a bigger problem which is that AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer hangs even with current Lilu/WhateverGreen injected.  The Device is 0x3e91 (UHD 630).  I have to disable the kext with bootarg -DisableIOFB.  This means even if I install Catalina I won't have AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer working.

ig-platform-id:
0x3EA50009 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E920009 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E9B0009 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3EA50000 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E920000 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E000000 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E9B0000 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3EA50004 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3EA50005 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3EA60005 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E9B0006 (mobile, 1 connectors, no fbmem, 39 MB)
0x3E9B0007 (desktop, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E920003 (desktop, 0 connectors, no fbmem, 1 MB)
0x3E910003 (desktop, 0 connectors, no fbmem, 1 MB)
0x3E980003 (desktop, 0 connectors, no fbmem, 1 MB)

@Slice

This morning when I have checked for Clover updates (I knew 5070 to be the latest version.) I get notified on an update. Instead of an update, I have found a text file that said that Clover has been moved to GitHub. I have downloaded the 5096 version that failed to install, it said to contact the software manufacturer. Browsing the threads on this board in the Clover section, I see that it seems that Slice has forced, somehow, Clover, I find hard to follow several pages on the Clover development thread. I do not understand, is this a permanent change, a development experiment? Shall I wait for a new update on Sourceforge?  Can I help with information or files?

Update: Tried again to install, failed. Clover Preference Panel was gone. Tried to return to version 5070, but it fail to install with the same message.

Edited by Vyzantion

On 10/14/2019 at 4:02 PM, Slice said:

ig-platform-id:
0x3EA50009 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E920009 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E9B0009 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3EA50000 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E920000 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E000000 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E9B0000 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3EA50004 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3EA50005 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3EA60005 (mobile, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E9B0006 (mobile, 1 connectors, no fbmem, 39 MB)
0x3E9B0007 (desktop, 3 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)
0x3E920003 (desktop, 0 connectors, no fbmem, 1 MB)
0x3E910003 (desktop, 0 connectors, no fbmem, 1 MB)
0x3E980003 (desktop, 0 connectors, no fbmem, 1 MB)

Clover auto-injects ig-platform-id 0x3E920000 for device id 0x3e91, and it worked under Mojave which I believe has nearly the same table, and the entry for 0x3E920000 is the same parameters.  I don't set ig-platform-id manually in config.plist.

I've now installed the system (to a different volume, not over Mojave) so I can have more flexibility rebuilding prelinkedkernel with kextcache.  I've tried both with and without WhateverGreen/Lilu and AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer freezes.  Last time I had a freeze was in ComputeLaneCount, which is also overcome by setting boot-arg HDMI_2_0_Disable=1, but that doesn't work either.  It's a new freeze.

So now I have Catalina installation, but it onlly boots if I set boot-arg -DisableIOFB to suppress CFL and run IONDRVFramebuffer instead.  Of course, the graphics performance is sh*t this way.

• Like 2

@Slice

Yesterday, I have performed a clean install of Catalina with the latest Clover. It went fine, the issue seemed gone. But then it came the first Catalina supplemental update.

So, as always, I have re-downloaded the Catalina installer app and re-created the installer pen drive, using the latest Clover. All went well. Not that I use the dosdude1 patch app, in order to avoid the issue of the invisible internal hard-drives. Also, because Clover does not see the correct SMBIOS in Catalina, I set using Clover Configurator the definition as iMac 14.2, although I install patches from the dosdude1 app for iMac10.2, due to the fact that my hardware is older. 

Between the installation of Clover on the pen drive and on Macintosh HD I remember those differences: 1) On Macintosh HD, I have checked first the theme option, decided not to use it. 2) On Macintosh HD installed Clover Preferences Panel. 3) On Macintosh HD, also placed the FakeSMC plugins to use with HWMonitor on the EFI partition of the pen drive.

Usually, before reboots during and after the install, I get an error message, but I choose to reboot and things are fine. Since High Sierra, during installation, the machine reboots at the beginning of the installation, then it continues after reboot until the end. But, on this time, the install had only one reboot, in the end, not two, as it happened until now.

The installation finished, got into the desktop and installed all the usual things: Clover, FakeSMC+plugins, Realtek Ethernet, VoodooPS2, then with Clover Configurator set the default boot volume, InjectNvidia and SMBios iMac 14.2 . But on first boot, instead of the Clover boot menu, got the error screen with multiple read lines including Rip! and error 000000000! . But it boots up fine using the pen drive with the same Clover version. Tried to install Clover again, but I have got the install error message that I had received two days ago.

Note that one the patches from the dosdude1 app that I install is Intel IDE Controller patch, without it, the OS blocks into the first boot after the installation with the message: Still waiting for root device.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/2472c259c46ca66bda7a13be784b8ae520191016230048/7197ab16a6ffe7bd8b24f2a7c8a7379120191016230048/c67aad

Into this link I have uploaded

1. EFI1: the contents of the EFI of the Macintosh HD internal SATA hard-drive.

2. EFI2: the contents of pen drive EFI partition.

Specs:

Asus P5P41TED (legacy motherboard)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

2 gb ram DDR3

Edited by Vyzantion

I found the problem.  It's the boot-arg HDMI_2_0_Disable=1.  Apple have somehow f**ked this feature-disabling flag up so that when it's used, AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer freezes.  If I remove it - instead using WhateverGreen or a patch to suppress ComputeLaneCount - AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer goes back to work.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Vyzantion said:

@Slice

Yesterday, I have performed a clean install of Catalina with the latest Clover. It went fine, the issue seemed gone. But then it came the first Catalina supplemental update.

So, as always, I have re-downloaded the Catalina installer app and re-created the installer pen drive, using the latest Clover. All went well. Not that I use the dosdude1 patch app, in order to avoid the issue of the invisible internal hard-drives. Also, because Clover does not see the correct SMBIOS in Catalina, I set using Clover Configurator the definition as iMac 14.2, although I install patches from the dosdude1 app for iMac10.2, due to the fact that my hardware is older. 

Between the installation of Clover on the pen drive and on Macintosh HD I remember those differences: 1) On Macintosh HD, I have checked first the theme option, decided not to use it. 2) On Macintosh HD installed Clover Preferences Panel. 3) On Macintosh HD, also placed the FakeSMC plugins to use with HWMonitor on the EFI partition of the pen drive.

Usually, before reboots during and after the install, I get an error message, but I choose to reboot and things are fine. Since High Sierra, during installation, the machine reboots at the beginning of the installation, then it continues after reboot until the end. But, on this time, the install had only one reboot, in the end, not two, as it happened until now.

The installation finished, got into the desktop and installed all the usual things: Clover, FakeSMC+plugins, Realtek Ethernet, VoodooPS2, then with Clover Configurator set the default boot volume, InjectNvidia and SMBios iMac 14.2 . But on first boot, instead of the Clover boot menu, got the error screen with multiple read lines including Rip! and error 000000000! . But it boots up fine using the pen drive with the same Clover version. Tried to install Clover again, but I have got the install error message that I had received two days ago.

Note that one the patches from the dosdude1 app that I install is Intel IDE Controller patch, without it, the OS blocks into the first boot after the installation with the message: Still waiting for root device.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/2472c259c46ca66bda7a13be784b8ae520191016230048/7197ab16a6ffe7bd8b24f2a7c8a7379120191016230048/c67aad

Into this link I have uploaded

1. EFI1: the contents of the EFI of the Macintosh HD internal SATA hard-drive.

2. EFI2: the contents of pen drive EFI partition.

Specs:

Asus P5P41TED (legacy motherboard)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

2 gb ram DDR3

Another install, I booted with Clover 5070, installed Clover 5070 and it went fine. Until I have tried to upgrade to Clover 5096 over it, the error came back ands before, no further Clover installation possible, not even to an older version. I think I shall stick to Clover 5070 until a new build of Clover emerges.

I have forgot to mention, I use this customised version of Voodoo HDA Audio https://github.com/chris1111/VoodooHDA-2.9.2-Clover-V14/releases installed on the Clasic option, the only way to get sound going. I remember this goes into the Preboot volume somehow, perhaps this causes the issue, although probably not. Perhaps @chris1111, who is the packager, knows best.

Update: Copy-pasted the contents of the EFI from the pen drive on the main hard drive. Version 5096 seems almost fine working, except for the Clover Preferences Panel, that is absent (not even the file is present in Preferences Panel in neither of the three locations on the hard drive). Tried to install the standard Clover 5096 and it failed at usual. Here it is the install log, attached.

Clover_Install_Log.txt

Edited by Vyzantion

@Slice: When I boot the Catalina installer from a USB stick, and turn on debug, it sometimes prints the line

DBG_RT(Entry, "Kernel not found at 0x%p - skipping patches!", KernelData);

found in kernel_patcher.c and skips the kext injection and patching.  It's the reason that inject Detect feature was not working for me.  It appears to happen at random.  I'm using AptioMemoryFix.efi and no slide= parameter in Arguments.  Any idea why this is happening?  Doesn't seem to happen from sata boot.

Edit: Setting slide=0 appears to prevent this - couldn't reproduce it again afterwards.

Edit: With USB, if I don't set slide=0 in Arguments, sometimes kernel_patcher.c gets reported back a slide value of 0 even though the kernel was moved, so it can't find it.  If I set slide=0 in Arguments, kernel_patcher.c always finds the kernel at the non-slid location.  The kernel succeeds booting either way, but when the slide value reported back to kernel_patcher.c is incorrect, no injection takes place.  I don't know if this happens because of Clover, the firmware or AptioMemoryFix.

Edited by Zenith432
Added information
  • Like 2

There is a new ig-platform-id in AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer for OS 10.15 0x3E920008 0x3E9B0008.  It has 1 connector.  Also, some of the parameters in the connector table for the other ig-platform-ids have changed from OS 10.14.6 .

Edited by Zenith432
corrected errors

5 hours ago, Zenith432 said:

There is a new ig-platform-id in AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer for OS 10.15 0x3E920008.  It has 1 connector.  Also, some of the parameters in the connector table for the other ig-platform-ids have changed from OS 10.14.6.

You have a misprint. New FB: 0x3E9B0008 (mobile, 1 connectors, no fbmem, 58 MB)

Edited by Andrey1970
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Vyzantion said:

Another install, I booted with Clover 5070, installed Clover 5070 and it went fine. Until I have tried to upgrade to Clover 5096 over it, the error came back ands before, no further Clover installation possible, not even to an older version. I think I shall stick to Clover 5070 until a new build of Clover emerges.

I have forgot to mention, I use this customised version of Voodoo HDA Audio https://github.com/chris1111/VoodooHDA-2.9.2-Clover-V14/releases installed on the Clasic option, the only way to get sound going. I remember this goes into the Preboot volume somehow, perhaps this causes the issue, although probably not. Perhaps @chris1111, who is the packager, knows best.

Update: Copy-pasted the contents of the EFI from the pen drive on the main hard drive. Version 5096 seems almost fine working, except for the Clover Preferences Panel, that is absent (not even the file is present in Preferences Panel in neither of the three locations on the hard drive). Tried to install the standard Clover 5096 and it failed at usual. Here it is the install log, attached.

Clover_Install_Log.txt

Another install, tried to install Clover 5070 over 5070. The same error. This shows the bug is older then I tought. It may be something regarding this new Catalina build.

Hi, I've had problems with clover (r5096) when I updated it from this clover https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder/releases. My machine was very slow and crashed 2 times today due to a kernel panic while only surfing the web. Had to revert back to my previous version of clover from that link and it's fine and back to normal.

Edited by Qola

3 hours ago, Qola said:

Hi, I've had problems with clover (r5096) when I updated it from this clover https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder/releases. My machine was very slow and crashed 2 times today due to a kernel panic while only surfing the web. Had to revert back to my previous version of clover from that link and it's fine and back to normal.

Your Dids link redirect to r5093 release (not 5096). You can use official Clover repo: CloverBootLoader

5 hours ago, Slice said:

AFAIK Catalina requires SSE4,2 instructions absent in this CPU.

My MacPro3,1 (not Hackintosh) runs Catalina without SSE4.2. Catalina AMD graphics drivers may require SSE4.2 (or a workaround). I use dosdude1's Catalina Patcher.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-15-catalina-on-unsupported-macs.2183772/

Something similar may be needed for old Hackintosh PCs.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Slice said:

AFAIK Catalina requires SSE4,2 instructions absent in this CPU.

No, it does not, CPUs with SSE4.1 can run Catalina, but they are blocked by the telemetry plugin. If patched or removed the telemetry plugin, Catalina works fine on CPUs with SSE 4.1 . The dosdude1 app has a patch for that too. There are some Macs that have SSE 4.1 but not SSE 4.2 and there are some people on Macrumors with unsupported Macs who use Clover there. Catalina works fine on my machine for now and I do not think this has anything to do with the fact that I can not update or re-install Clover after one install. I have posted a link with some contents, you can check the files and see and how it works without SSE 4.2, and also about the error.

On GitHub, I see a new Clover build, 5077, but only sources, not installer. 

Edited by Vyzantion

5 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Your Dids link redirect to r5093 release (not 5096). You can use official Clover repo: CloverBootLoader

Yes I'm using that release(5093, Dids). 5096 https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases has been buggy for me it crashed my system and forced me to reinstall Catalina using(Dids 5093 release)

• Like 1

Clover build 5097 fails to install over 5070, like the previous ones. Issue still present. No new information in the installer log. Perhaps shall I totally remove Clover then reinstall it? I do not know how to do that.

Edited by Vyzantion

3 hours ago, Vyzantion said:

Clover build 5097 fails to install over 5070, like the previous ones. Issue still present. No new information in the installer log. Perhaps shall I totally remove Clover then reinstall it? I do not know how to do that.

First Method:

For reinstall a clean r5097:

• Mount EFI partition and cut your previous folder on Desktop and unmount
  • Install the new release of Clover in EFI partition
  • Copy/Paste CLOVERX64.efi et BOOTX64.efi from the new Clover to the right place in EFI Folder on your desktop
  • Mount EFI partition, delete the new release of Clover 
  • Copy/Paste your EFI folder on Desktop to EFI Partition and unmount

2nd Method:

• Download CLOVERX64.efi from Release on Official Repo
  • Keep it in any folder, rename a copy to BOOTX64.efi
  • Copy both files to the right place in EFI Folder

Sorry for my bad english

Edited by Matgen84

7 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

First Method:

For reinstall a clean r5097:

• Mount EFI partition and cut your previous folder on Desktop and unmount
  • Install the new release of Clover in EFI partition
  • Copy/Paste CLOVERX64.efi et BOOTX64.efi from the new Clover to the right place in EFI Folder on your desktop
  • Mount EFI partition, delete the new release of Clover 
  • Copy/Paste your EFI folder on Desktop to EFI Partition and unmount

2nd Method:

• Download CLOVERX64.efi from Release on Official Repo
  • Keep it in any folder, rename a copy to BOOTX64.efi
  • Copy both files to the right place in EFI Folder

Sorry for my bad english

Sorry, what you said does not make sense. First method can not be understood and the second is much too simple. I can not install Clover more then once on the Macintosh HD.

Edited by Vyzantion

9 hours ago, Vyzantion said:

Sorry, what you said does not make sense. First method can not be understood and the second is much too simple. I can not install Clover more then once on the Macintosh HD.

The two temporary methods works perfectly. If you do not understand, I'm not for nothing. Do as you see.

BOOTX64 and CLOVERX64 are the same file with two different name: one in EFI/BOOT and other in EFI/CLOVER. In Clover Repo in GitHub, you can find the PKG and  CLOVERX64 from Release Tag.

Good luck for solve your issue. I repeat: These are two temporary methods before solving it.

Post the install log and complete your signature: maybe others users can help you.

Edited by Matgen84
nd

4 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

The two temporary methods works perfectly. If you do not understand, I'm not for nothing. Do as you see.

BOOTX64 and CLOVERX64 are the same file with two different name: one in EFI/BOOT and other in EFI/CLOVER. In Clover Repo in GitHub, you can find the PKG and  CLOVERX64 from Release Tag.

Good luck for solve your issue. I repeat: These are two temporary methods before solving it.

Post the install log and complete your signature: maybe others users can help you.

No, I did not meant that I do not understand how it works, I meant I do not understand what to do.

• Like 1