AppleHDA Solution - Work in progress

Taruga

4,108 posts in this topic

Thank you for imic2.

Sound is vastly important to me as I try and tweak and remaster old tapes of my grandfather and stepfather's orchestral works and then put them onto CD. Macs used to be the way to go, DTP and AV wise but now I'm less sure, and very out of date.

Is there a seperate thread on USB/Firewire sound? I tend ask annoying questions like that because I am limited to dial-up and I multi-task, which slows searches down to a crawl. Broadband is on the list but... it's a distraction to getting any writing done.

Macs still are the way to go for DTP and AV...if you buy a real Mac it will work just fine. We're working with patched stuff here so it doesn't always have the stability or functionality of a real Mac. I'd love to get the 888 audio in on my ASRock mobo working too, but I'm still stuck with basic stereo out using Azalia.kext.

There are a lot of talented and dedicated folks working on getting OS X to work properly on unsupported hardware...they just need time and support. I know I appreciate all their hard work and time spent.

Ok i have tried installing the alc82 kext but no luck. I have an 925xecv2 M/O and although i have enabled sound I cannot enable the rest( Mic, headphones etc.)

Please any suggestions?

P.S A step by step guide would help everyone at this point especially the non programmers.

THANX

Skippy tried your last install package, very nicely doen that pkg- alc833 with 3 outputs... dont work, i tried restarting , and manually correcting permissions, to no avail

anyway...

please keeep trying, i have made an special parttion just to test your installer..

Guest bikedude880
Gentlemen,

Does this HDA sound fix work with the ADI chipset ?

I got an ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi with ADI® AD1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC

So far as I know it's only for Intel ICH6-8 (though I'm not positive) and Intel High Def. codecs 882, 883, 888 (with the later being iffy.) A codec dump from Linux might help though.

Execute these commands inside the Linux CLi.

cd /proc/asound

Look for something like Card0 if your codec is supported and browse into that dir.

cat codec#0 > /tmp/ADIdump.txt

Now copy that txt file to a place where you can access it later (i.e. Save it) and post it here.

Someone might take interest in it and attempt to add it to the kext :unsure:

one question, how can i wake up my audio :huh:, why does AppleHDA v0.2a.mpkg and v0.4 make no diference, why i can't run patch command , and how can i treat the ALC 883 in my lappy to start working, before with azalia i have had "visable "audio but no sound from any of outputs, right now no sound with 8.8.1 10.4.8 , any howto/doc where can i chnge the vendors in hdaudio kexts ?

one question, how can i wake up my audio ;), why does AppleHDA v0.2a.mpkg and v0.4 make no diference, why i can't run patch command , and how can i treat the ALC 883 in my lappy to start working, before with azalia i have had "visable "audio but no sound from any of outputs, right now no sound with 8.8.1 10.4.8 , any howto/doc where can i chnge the vendors in hdaudio kexts ?

I count 5 different questions in there...

I count 5 different questions in there...

hello rammjet ;)

let's say that was one multiqestion, I'm a bit lost , i'm not sure what path should I take, dealing with azalia, or apple hda.kext, i'm going in the mountains with my snowboard and skies, and i think that at the late evenings audio would be grate for painful knees :D and i can't take all my external stuff , so I will trye to fix my audio. Have you got some ideas how to get it ?

I have got ALC 883 10ec (i945)

Edited by NET

From what I know, they are actively working on trying to enable ALC882, 883 and 888 sound. If I had the magic secret to fix it, I would reveal it - for a cool $1 million.

Why not get one of those really inexpensive (like $10) USB devices for the trip and chill out until the driver situation gets fixed?

From what I know, they are actively working on trying to enable ALC882, 883 and 888 sound. If I had the magic secret to fix it, I would reveal it - for a cool $1 million.

Why not get one of those really inexpensive (like $10) USB devices for the trip and chill out until the driver situation gets fixed?

I'll trye to hexedit the HDAudio and trye to find the solution:

00010ec0 popl %ebp

00010ec1 ret

00010ec2 pushl %ebp

00010ec3 movl %esp,%ebp

00010ec5 subl $0x18,%esp

00010ec8 movl 0x08(%ebp),%eax

00010ecb movl %eax,(%esp,1)

00010ece call *__ZTV8OSObject+0x0000004c

0001f2c4 cmpl $0x10ec0882,%eax

000203d0 cmpl $0x10ec0882,%eax

maby changing last two to my vendor will fix the problem :/

Rammjet i already have got external audio, external wifi, external dvdr, external harddrive, external gprs/edge modem (second phone) too much things to carryon while being on holidays I think i will fix the audio. the main problem wit it is that , taht even fixing the sound core will might not be the end of the problems, i've seen that many people with acer laptops has got problems with pinconfig, they are mapped in a different way. even windows vista has got the same problems like the osx has. on my lappy vista was playing sound thru the build in speakers, but pluging in the headphone jack was causing the digital audio autput to be turned on on that connector. (BTW Vista sucks, that's a piece of {censored}, and maby it will work at all with SP2 just like XP is :hysterical:, do not trye it it's not worth )

Taruga - Bravo! :rolleyes:

Not news to you, as I have the same mobo. I did notice that the output is cleaner, and BOOMS in my headphones enough

that I no longer have the vol set at 70%, more like 40% now. GREAT WORK AND THANK YOU!

So far as I know it's only for Intel ICH6-8 (though I'm not positive) and Intel High Def. codecs 882, 883, 888 (with the later being iffy.) A codec dump from Linux might help though.

Someone might take interest in it and attempt to add it to the kext :rolleyes:

I might do that when i get some time.

My motherboard is based on the ICH8 chipset...... if i'm not mistaken ?!?!?!

Intel® P965 / ICH8R with Intel® Fast Memory Access Technology

Ok I know I have bothered you again but I would be realy grateful if anyone could direct me on which pkg to install for my 925xecv2 M/O with alc82 onboard, the alpha or the beta one. And what should I do afterwards, just pray??? ;)

THANX

Edited by pfmarios

Question re: ALC880... I know (and am using) a solution for ALC880 which works in regards to line in and line out for 10.4-5 through 10.4.8 (I am currenlty using this solution ... which uses the 10.4.5 kext, modified for ALC880 in 10.4.6 and 10.4.8). However, I cannot get digital in out. Is there a way to mod the ALC882/883 kext for ALC880 with digital (SPDIF) in out? Thanks for the hard work guys! PS: With the ALC880 kext, Parallels works with full audio as opposed to using Azalia which causes a Parallels sound error).

Steve

mm this thread is dying, Skippy and Taruga the developpers aent appearing to much lately

Its not true, Taruga is working hard in a more solid and universal solution, instead of making kexts for an infinity of mobos and sound chips. You guys have only to wait... and continue posting the results of the published kexts.

Just so I don't get my head bit off, I am very new to the OSX world.

I don't know if this will be of help to any of the developers, but I thought I would post it.

I have a Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi with ALC883, using JAS 10.4.7.

I have not been able to get sound to work no matter what I try. I have tried Ramjets method and could not get it working. So I figure that this will be the best place for me to start. So onto my thought...

When I first installed Ubuntu on it, the sound would not work at all. I read through there forums and found that it was a problem with ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) and that they were working on it. Well not that long ago Ubuntu Dapper 6.10 came out and ALSA had the sound fixed.

Someone was saying earlier that the pin configuration on Acer laptop is different then most and that is why we are having so much trouble getting sound working. So to finish I was thinking that since ALSA had problems and just recently got the sound to work, maybe they have some secret they could share on how to get the ALC883 working.

I must say this is a very cool project.

Hey, one other quick question. Does Darwin or OSX have a program like ndiswrapper that allows you to use xp drivers for your devices?

Edited by krondordkd

Guest bikedude880

Hey, one other quick question. Does Darwin or OSX have a program like ndiswrapper that allows you to use xp drivers for your devices?

No. Ndiswrapper is specific to Linux as it has (I believe) strong ties into the kernel header files. It would be near impossible to get it working on a Darwin based system.

Just so I don't get my head bit off, I am very new to the OSX world.

I don't know if this will be of help to any of the developers, but I thought I would post it.

I have a Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi with ALC883, using JAS 10.4.7.

I have not been able to get sound to work no matter what I try. I have tried Ramjets method and could not get it working. So I figure that this will be the best place for me to start. So onto my thought...

When I first installed Ubuntu on it, the sound would not work at all. I read through there forums and found that it was a problem with ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) and that they were working on it. Well not that long ago Ubuntu Dapper 6.10 came out and ALSA had the sound fixed.

Someone was saying earlier that the pin configuration on Acer laptop is different then most and that is why we are having so much trouble getting sound working. So to finish I was thinking that since ALSA had problems and just recently got the sound to work, maybe they have some secret they could share on how to get the ALC883 working.

I must say this is a very cool project.

Try this one. It work on my rig.

http://rapidshare.com/files/7815649/Realte...io.dmg.bz2.html