Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 2200B/2915

tuxx

383 posts in this topic

denny what do you mean by "see" intel 2200B? if you mean to make it work and be able to connect to an access point then you're out of luck. this tread is all about waiting for the driver.... possibly the 4th... so keep a lookout

@denny

Activating Power buttons shldnt be too hard. For now its possibly best we get the driver functioning first.

On most notebooks its possible to activate the WLan in a different OS (say winXP) and reboot to MacOSX w/o completely shutting down (keep the power cable connected). Many notebooks have so called "software switches" including mine.. i checked the software switch driver for linux and freebsd.. it doesnt seem too hard to implement.

But thats something we really should work on once we have a working driver ;)

tuxx

Yes, in fact most laptops enable and disable wifi by using a combination of Fn+Fx keys, and also Fn+Fx does work for me to handle screen brightness (but not speaker volume for example).

had before another notebook that under 10.4.1 even displayed graphical values for volume and screen brightness with this very same combination of keys.

I don't need this driver, but I'm curious about the development. You implied that there's no 802.11 framework in Apple, but couldn't you take existing wireless code for OS X (like from http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/) and modify it to tailor it to your device?

It seems like a very, very doable thing, just requires some time.

(Oh, and tuxx, I've just recently realized that your code was one of the examples I read to help me create my nForce LAN driver. I didn't actually realize your code wasn't working yet until I read this thread [i only needed to make sure I was preparing the memory mapping correctly... wasn't at first]. So thanks ;))

glad the code was useful for something :D

memory mapping caused alot of headache and begging for help on the driver mailinglist for me too :)

Specially it being the first driver i wrote.

Its not as simple as just taking code from wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net since theyve only provided drivers for wlan cards which have the 820.11 routines implemented in the firmware which is loaded to the card.

It seems that most of the 820.11 work for the intel 2200bg is done by the firmware too. But the accesspoint association needs to be done by the driver itself :/

This is all unconfirmed Information which I got from the author of the atheros wlan driver (and several other drivers), after he looked into my work.

So acctually for anyone who is a bit more talented than me (or has more time) this really shldnt be that hard.. I will try to find some time to finish this project in a few weeks and hopefully will be able to work together with dlbogdan.

until then i have to work on passing my exams :)

tuxx

dlbogdan sorry to bring this topic up, but does tht mean i should hold off my Dell 1450 order....they dont hav it in stock and am being forced to order 1370 but is double the price..............so yeah

Well i know you all hate me know for talkin trash. I just wanted to say mad respect for all you guys waiting for the driver. I just got my Dell truemobile and it works great even in this warehouse at my work. Just put the thing in and up it came. I figure we all got this for free it won't hurt to pay 40 bucks to get wireless. Oh yea and donate to the project or go hit a Ad. yo! i'm out and wireless!

Finally… ordered my Mac Book Pro 31/3 at 12:31 apple time.. They say that I’ll have it the 5. of April… so no more waiting for a driver to work on a crappy :censored2: dell look-a-like Apple computer.. Finally getting the real thing… :) <- thats pure exitment

It's not the wrong forum.. I'm just happy, like Gilmore.

And I'm happy that I'm not going to need or wait for a driver...

Waiting for a MBP and finding out that just as soon as u get it, apple launches even better 3-th anniv products. Now thts gonna be bad

Let me know if you need some help. I know how to program cpp and some other languages. Haven't got many networking experience though.

Maybe it's an idea to make a wiki for the sourcecode files. So that everybody can look at it and add some comments. I'll offer webspace to do it.

Let me know, I will be in this topic.

If not.. Succes programming, I'm very interested whether this is going to work or not.