Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

jnolla

721 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2019 at 3:57 PM, nefilim said:

Hey guys - I have the same problem, same Sapphire Reference Vega 64. No problems running LuxMark in stress test mode for 30+ minutes, the crash almost always happens under no load, I can SSH in and manually sync/reboot. I usually have these in the kernel log:

Looks like the kernel can no longer connect to the card, hence not being able to get any data from IOReg. Sometimes it happens a bunch of times in a row, which is odd, I've even seen it happen in the BIOS once. I've replaced my Seasonic 650W Platinum PSU with Seasonic 850W Platinum, making sure I use separate cables for each of the PCIe connections on the card. 

I have looked into the BIOS a bit, I have version 8892 which is the latest I believe. I may downgrade to an earlier version and try it out. Right now I'm trying to run without injecting any soft PowerTable and the associated settings under <Properties> in clover config, enduring the fan at 2400rpm .. no crash in about 20 hours now, given that it crashes under no load I assume it's something to do with the lower/idle state(s) .. perhaps their voltage?

If anyone has any ideas that would be great, make my living on this desktop, very frustrating situation! 

ps. my RX 580 was rock solid 

UPDATE: crashed 41 hours later... 

Did you get any further on the issue? I'm having almost exactly the same issue. I've been using RadeonVegaLowFanSpeed.kext to deal with the fan noise.

I thought the issue had gone. But today it happened again (while working in Logic Pro X). 

Mar 21 00:35:03 iMac-Pro syslogd[42]: ASL Sender Statistics
Mar 21 00:35:05 iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 2 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 8 seconds.
Mar 21 00:35:17 iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 3 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 7 seconds.
Mar 21 00:35:25 iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.
Mar 21 00:35:36 iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 2 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 8 seconds.
Mar 21 00:35:45 iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.
Mar 21 00:35:57 iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 3 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 7 seconds.
Mar 21 00:36:05 iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.
Mar 21 00:36:17 iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 2 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 8 seconds.
Mar 21 00:36:36 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar 21 00:36:36 iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.
Mar 21 00:37:07 --- last message repeated 2 times ---
Mar 21 00:37:07 iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 2 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 8 seconds.

Edited by MatthiasSt

On 3/19/2019 at 10:05 PM, milky2028 said:

Did you get any further on the issue? I'm having almost exactly the same issue. I've been using RadeonVegaLowFanSpeed.kext to deal with the fan noise.

Nope - so frustrating, reverted back to RX580 now. 

One thing I did notice... it seems to happen a lot when starting to play a video (either in browser or slack video call etc)... anyone else notices that?

• Like 1

<key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key>
<data>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</data>
<key>PP_DisablePowerContainment</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>PP_FuzzyFanControl</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PP_ThermalAutoThrottlingEnable</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>PP_DisableDIDT</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>PP_DisableULPS</key>
<integer>1</integer>

I've been using the above, on my vega fe air, since the crashing issue surfaced. Zero crashes for weeks now.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, okrasit said:

<data>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</data>
<key>PP_DisablePowerContainment</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>PP_FuzzyFanControl</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PP_ThermalAutoThrottlingEnable</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>PP_DisableDIDT</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>PP_DisableULPS</key>
<integer>1</integer>

I've been using the above, on my vega fe air, since the crashing issue surfaced. Zero crashes for weeks now.

Do you happen to remember the PPT values?

I've made two changes and am cautiously optimistic, no crashes in almost 3 days now, after really trying everything to make it crash:

1. found that my mobo (Asus Z370-G) BIOS was really old, upgraded from v1002 to v1802 

2. used these values for my PPT:

Dev=64
P0cv=850 <==== NB
P1cv=900
P2cv=950
P3cv=1000
P4cv=1050
P5cv=1100
P6cv=1150
P7cv=1150
P0cf=852
P1cf=991
P2cf=1084
P3cf=1138
P4cf=1200
P5cf=1401
P6cf=1536
P7cf=1630
P3mv=1100 <===== NB
P0mf=500 <===== NB
P1mf=500
P2mf=800
P3mf=945
freeFan=1500
downFan=2400
minFan=400
maxFan=4900
senFan=4836
tempLine=70
power=50

as it crashed under NO load (it seems the moment it is put under a little load from no load, like watching a video or scrubbing an FCP timeline), upped the voltage for P0 and the lowest memory state frequency (which is supposed to be automatic?), also dropped the memory voltage from the default (VGTab) 1350mV to 1100mV (as seen in Wattman in Windows). 

45 minutes ago, nefilim said:

Do you happen to remember the PPT values?

I've made two changes and am cautiously optimistic, no crashes in almost 3 days now, after really trying everything to make it crash:

1. found that my mobo (Asus Z370-G) BIOS was really old, upgraded from v1002 to v1802 

2. used these values for my PPT:

as it crashed under NO load (it seems the moment it is put under a little load from no load, like watching a video or scrubbing an FCP timeline), upped the voltage for P0 and the lowest memory state frequency (which is supposed to be automatic?), also dropped the memory voltage from the default (VGTab) 1350mV to 1100mV (as seen in Wattman in Windows). 

It's almost at stock values. Memory 985M, SOC around 1200M and DPM7 around 1550M.

You don't need one anymore. Works perfectly fine without, just like on Windows. Only if you want to overclock you can still use one. But you should create one from scratch based on standard settings for use with 10.14.5.

Edited by CMMChris
  • Like 1

Did a GFXBench Metal run on the new Vega drivers. No PowerPlayTable used.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-29 um 23.34.44.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-29 um 23.36.12.jpg

Edit: Dirt 4 played on the new Vega drivers (10.14.5 Beta 1) without a PowerPlayTable

Edited by CMMChris

On 3/29/2019 at 12:01 PM, CMMChris said:

You don't need one anymore. Works perfectly fine without, just like on Windows. Only if you want to overclock you can still use one. But you should create one from scratch based on standard settings for use with 10.14.5.

looks pretty promising so far, no crashes with beta (18F96h), injected PPT removed and editing all day in Resolve. fan idles lower (~800rpm) than I ever got it with a custom PPT.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, does this:

<data>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</data>

works for Vega 56 Gigabyte gaming OC version (air cooled) on Mojave 10.14.4?

• 5 weeks later...

I have good peformance in LuxMark but very very bad in Geekbench 4 (I get like 40000 instead of 200000). The system is runing fine but I dont know where the problem is ... I tried quite a lot of things (including VGTab.kext - I made a preset myself, RadeonDeInit and InjectATI, WEG and Lilu and so on ...) I don't know where I'm wrong ...

System is:

Ryzen 5 2600 - OC 4 GHz (I tried with default clocks same issue and if multiplier is uneven number I get audio video out of sync so it has to be 3800 4000 4200 etc)

MSI B350M Pro VD PLUS (no issues here)

Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ LE

Can someone give me an idea what to do or try ? I can share EFI folder or config.plist depends on what is needed.

Thank you in advance !

Geek4.jpg

LuxMark.jpg

Metal.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, 

I'd like to upgrade my GA Vega RX 64 OC Gaming 8GB with a Radeon VII ... anybody knows if they works OOB or they require VGTab.Kext or any other method to work properly with Mojave 14.5? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 2:12 AM, bernek said:

I have good peformance in LuxMark but very very bad in Geekbench 4 (I get like 40000 instead of 200000). The system is runing fine but I dont know where the problem is ... I tried quite a lot of things (including VGTab.kext - I made a preset myself, RadeonDeInit and InjectATI, WEG and Lilu and so on ...) I don't know where I'm wrong ...

System is:

Ryzen 5 2600 - OC 4 GHz (I tried with default clocks same issue and if multiplier is uneven number I get audio video out of sync so it has to be 3800 4000 4200 etc)

MSI B350M Pro VD PLUS (no issues here)

Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ LE

Can someone give me an idea what to do or try ? I can share EFI folder or config.plist depends on what is needed.

Thank you in advance !

Geek4.jpg

LuxMark.jpg

Metal.jpg

I am facing the very same problem and I have no clue how to fix it. I tried messing with clover config and stuff too. Apparently only one guy has managed to fix it but I could not understand what he exactly did.

He said " Geekbench giving 197k on OpenCL and 209k on Metal"

Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 9.21.44 AM.png

Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 9.23.21 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...

Want to mention since I never posted back here about my issue. I decided to use Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 a bit to battle test the machine more. I started seeing crashes in those operating systems. Digging through the logs I noticed they were blaming the GPU / ati driver every time it crashed, much like the GPU Restarts in the logs I posted earlier in the thread.

TL;DR Phanteks Riser Cable was absolute {censored} low quality trash. Replaced the riser cable and now the machine is stable and no longer giving me issues. On top of that I have it running on 10.14.6 and it is working better than ever.

Thanks for trying to help everyone.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

I am considering upgrading my aging AMD 7970Ghz (R9 280X) to a Vega 64, eg the Gigabyte GV-RXVEGA64GAMING OC-8GD Radeon RX Vega 64 8 GB (Amazon.co.uk link).

I am running 10.14.5.  Would anyone be able to quickly confirm for me that these cards work fine now, with no need for special patches?  That seems to be what I'm reading on the last pages of this thread?

Also, is anyone running this card with a legacy boot system?  I am running a non-UEFI system.   If anyone was able to confirm for me if they know of any problems running a Vega 64 without UEFI, I'd be most grateful.  I currently use WhateverGreen to resolve some problems with my R9 280X, and even with that I can't get a picture on all monitors from boot, and have to sleep & wake in order to get a full picture on all screens.  I expect that problem to continue with any new card, but as long as I can sleep&wake and then get a picture, that would be fine.

I have 5 monitors attached, and one reason I'm particularly attracted to the Vega 64 is I see it has 6 outputs - 3 x HDMI + 3 x DP.    Lately I've been doing a lot of video editing work in Premiere Pro and After Effects, and might soon move to Blackmagic Resolve/Fusion, which has a lot more GPU acceleration.  So a better card could help me a lot.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Tb

Edited by TheBloke

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, nefilim said:

I'm having stability issues again, mostly when rendering using DaVinci Resolve.... I suspect since 10.4.6 (non supplemental). Anyone else? Screen just freezes, can SSH in sync & reboot. 

I recently bought a Gigabyte Vega 64 and I am plagued with an issue which I suspect is the same as yours.

In my H77 UEFI system, I can get the GPU running almost fine. I use the iMacPro 1.1 SMBIOS to enable HW accelerated h264 and h265 encode/decode.  I get a picture on all monitors from boot.  Benchmarks are OK.  Everything is fine.. except, a persistent issue with HW accelerated encode.  Maybe decode too, I am not sure.

At some random point when I am encoding video in Premiere Pro, or using an HW accelerated screen recording app like Screenflick, all displays will freeze.  The system is still running, and I can SSH in.   Checking the logs via SSH shows lots of errors like the following:

kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelFenceMachine::fence_timeout(IOTimerEventSource *): AMDRadeonAccelerator prodding blockFenceInterrupt
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelFenceMachine::fence_timeout(IOTimerEventSource *): AMDRadeonAccelerator prodding blockFenceInterrupt
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) AMDRadeonAccelerator: IOAccelDisplayPipeTransaction time out after 300ms. framebufferIndex=5
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2)     framebufferIndex=5, wsaa=17
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2)     eventInterruptEnabled=0, transactionInterruptEnabled=1, vblInterruptEnabled=0
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2)     powerOff=0, pipeTerminated=0, acceleratorEnabled=1, fWSAA=17
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2)     lastIOGraphicsMessageEvent=93, fbIndex=5
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2)     transactionQueueReadCount=12055, transactionQueueWriteCount=12056
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) lastCompletedTransaction: ID=12054 dirtyBits=0x1 options=0x1
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2)     pendingTransaction ID=12055, isTransactionComplete()=0, dirtyBits=0x1, options=0x1, errorCode=0x0, submittedReturn=0xe0014042
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2)     readTransaction ID=12056, dirtyBits=0x1, options=0x1, errorCode=0x0, submittedReturn=0xe0014042, event hasn't finished
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual IOReturn IOAccelEventMachine2::waitForStamp(int32_t, stamp_t, stamp_t *): initial wait for 1 second expired. Continue wait for 4 seconds. stamp 15313 (gpu_stamp=15312)
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual IOReturn IOAccelEventMachine2::waitForStamp(int32_t, stamp_t, stamp_t *): initial wait for 1 second expired. Continue wait for 4 seconds. stamp 9557 (gpu_stamp=9556)
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual IOReturn IOAccelEventMachine2::waitForStamp(int32_t, stamp_t, stamp_t *): timeout waiting for AMDRadeonAccelerator stamp 15313 (gpu_stamp=15312)
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual IOReturn IOAccelEventMachine2::waitForStamp(int32_t, stamp_t, stamp_t *): timeout waiting for AMDRadeonAccelerator stamp 9557 (gpu_stamp=9556)
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual void IOAccelEventMachineFast2::checkGPUProgress() - Signaling hardware error on channel 0..
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartEnqueued stampIdx=0 type=2
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual void IOAccelEventMachineFast2::checkGPUProgress() - Signaling hardware error on channel 2..
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartSignaled stampIdx=2 type=2 prevType=0 numStamps=22
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartEnqueued stampIdx=2 type=2
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual void IOAccelEventMachineFast2::checkGPUProgress() - Signaling hardware error on channel 5..
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartSignaled stampIdx=5 type=2 prevType=0 numStamps=22
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartEnqueued stampIdx=5 type=2
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual void IOAccelEventMachineFast2::checkGPUProgress() - Signaling hardware error on channel 6..
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartSignaled stampIdx=6 type=2 prevType=0 numStamps=22
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartEnqueued stampIdx=6 type=2
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual void IOAccelEventMachineFast2::checkGPUProgress() - Signaling hardware error on channel 12..
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartSignaled stampIdx=12 type=2 prevType=0 numStamps=22
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartEnqueued stampIdx=12 type=2
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual void IOAccelEventMachineFast2::checkGPUProgress() - Signaling hardware error on channel 17..
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartSignaled stampIdx=17 type=2 prevType=0 numStamps=22
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartEnqueued stampIdx=17 type=2
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual void IOAccelEventMachineFast2::checkGPUProgress() - Signaling hardware error on channel 18..
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartSignaled stampIdx=18 type=2 prevType=0 numStamps=22
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartEnqueued stampIdx=18 type=2
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual void IOAccelEventMachineFast2::checkGPUProgress() - Signaling hardware error on channel 19..
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartSignaled stampIdx=19 type=2 prevType=0 numStamps=22
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::signalHardwareError(eRestartRequest, int32_t): GPURestartEnqueued stampIdx=19 type=2
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::hardwareErrorEvent(): setting restart type to 2 (channel 0)
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) void IOAccelEventMachine2::hardwareErrorEvent(): GPURestartDequeued stampIdx=0 type=2
kernel[0]: (AMDRadeonX5000) [3:0:0]: channel 0 event timeout
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual IOReturn IOAccelEventMachine2::waitForStamp(int32_t, stamp_t, stamp_t *): a graphics error occurred, exitting..
kernel[0]: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) virtual IOReturn IOAccelEventMachine2::waitForStamp(int32_t, stamp_t, stamp_t *): a graphics error occurred, exitting..
kernel[0]: (AMDRadeonX5000) [3:0:0]: channel 0 GFX is hung! (lastReadTimestamp=0x0001212a) channelResetMask 0x00000000

These errors will repeat seemingly forever until I reboot.

The issue happens so regularly that, during testing, I started checking for these logs at all times, by SSHing in and running this command:

log stream --predicate 'process == "kernel"' --style syslog | grep -v IOAudio

(I remove IOAudio from the output only because it generates a flood of log messages periodically)

Next time this happens to you, can you SSH in and run either the above command, or:

log show --predicate 'process == "kernel"' --style syslog --source --last boot

The latter command lists all messages since the current boot.  Unfortunately it seems that Console logs are not kept between boots, so you can only get this info before you reboot.  My guess is you'll see the same or very similar messages.

I tested this for literally days last week, and I don't have a solution.   The one thing I did not test was going back to 10.14.5, and I may do that when I have time again.  I did test extensively on 10.14.6, with various combinations of Clover and WEG options.  I also tried upgrading a spare SSD to Catalina, and unfortunately experienced the same problem.  

At one point I was gettin these freezes as soon as 1-5 minutes after I started doing HW encoding stuff.  Latterly, I could go for as long as 45 minutes before it would happen.   But given enough time it would always happen.

I literally just bought the Vega 64 10 days ago, and after much testing I first found that it couldn't be made to work in a nice way on my legacy boot X58 system (requiring disconnecting all monitors but one on boot, then needing to sleep & wake before reconnecting them).  Then I found it mostly worked fine in the H77 UEFI system, once I had disabled CSM in the BIOS, except that I can't use HW encoding without freezes, and that was one of the main things I bought it for :(  

I'm not yet using Blackmagic Resolve, but I do plan to try it out soon, along with Fusion.  Right now I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.

It saddens me to hear these issues might have come with 10.14.6, because I was still kind of hoping maybe there was some solution.  But if it's a change in 10.14.6 that also persists in Catalina, the outlook looks bleak :(

Edited by TheBloke

47 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

I recently bought a Gigabyte Vega 64 and I am plagued with an issue which I suspect is the same as yours.

In my H77 UEFI system, I can get the GPU running almost fine. I use the iMacPro 1.1 SMBIOS to enable HW accelerated h264 and h265 encode/decode.  I get a picture on all monitors from boot.  Benchmarks are OK.  Everything is fine.. except, a persistent issue with HW accelerated encode.  Maybe decode too, I am not sure.

At some random point when I am encoding video in Premiere Pro, or using an HW accelerated screen recording app like Screenflick, all displays will freeze.  The system is still running, and I can SSH in.   Checking the logs via SSH shows lots of errors like the following:

exactly the same I'm afraid, it's too bad because it was really rock-solid there since April :(

may try to find a Radeon VII but need to do a bit more research to make sure I dont end up in the same situation