Ryzen Clover Installation Guide macOS Sierra

Gigamaxx

1,334 posts in this topic

Has anyone worked out the reason for slow nVidia acceleration? 

We just know that the drivers Nvidia made for Mac were thought for Intel CPUs only, and that makes them useless for Ryzentosh. Basically AMD graphics cards work better with AMD and with Apple in general (considering the new iMacs will use RX580s).

Btw hi everyone in this community, I've been quietly reading everything you said but didn't bother to comment.

We just know that the drivers Nvidia made for Mac were thought for Intel CPUs only, and that makes them useless for Ryzentosh. Basically AMD graphics cards work better with AMD and with Apple in general (considering the new iMacs will use RX580s).

Btw hi everyone in this community, I've been quietly reading everything you said but didn't bother to comment.

What do you mean? Didn't bother to comment?

What do you mean? Didn't bother to comment?

I'm planning on building a Hackintosh myself with a Ryzen 5 1600, but I haven't bought any parts yet so I can't even test the methods you guys have been mentioning.  Therefore, I've just remained silent because I couldn't help with anything.

There is a new fix for AMD cards to work without helper cards or IGPU. Its a new Lilukext and WhateverGreenKext that allows disabling IGPU for RX cards. Its also working for Fury cards. This is for Intel Systems but it may work for Ryzen.

Clover Kexts folders or S/L/Extensions.

For 10.12.6 ??? I'll give it a try

Nvidia web drivers came out for 10.12.6 has anyone tried it? Any performance enchancements ???

I tried rebuilding the USB boot disk with 10.12.5 and I'm running into the same spot where I type exit in terminal after mounting the file system. It freezes just as the Mac OS installer begins loading at the black screen..

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

I tried rebuilding the USB boot disk with 10.12.5 and I'm running into the same spot where I type exit in terminal after mounting the file system. It freezes just as the installer is loading.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Sorry no.. have you tried it a couple times?

I installed 10.12.5 successfully using a different method I followed on youtube. Ive got internet working, and everything is running stable. But I am running into some small issues: 

1. Video card says 3MB (Nvidia GT220). I believe there is no official driver from Nvidia. I would like to upgrade the graphics card. All I need is HDMI 2.0, 4K resolution, and low noise silent operation. Inexpensive as well. Im not doing any intense graphics. I simply want a 4k web browsing experience with modern support and silent. What video card should I buy?  

2. Will I be able to just boot right back in after GPU upgrade, or will I have to reinstall? Maybe mess with Kexts? 

3. Is it safe to do System Updates through the App Store with hackintosh in general?

4. What will happen when 10.13 comes out? Will there be an upgrade path or will a reinstall be on the table?  

5. I noticed a boot loader didn't get installed onto the SSD I installed macOS on. I am able to boot the SDD using the USB as a boot loader and selecting the main installation drive. Is this normal? Is there a way to install clover as a bootloader?

Depending what graphics card you get I would go with amd since it's going to be easier... stay away from updates at all cost...your gt220 might not be capable of 4K its natively supported I think

Was able to install web driver, couldn't get them to enable :(

And @Gigamaxx I've tried the method you mentioned but so far no luck I'll keep trying loads then black screen

Does anyone have a way of monitoring CPU temp / Mobo / etc? I have tried HWMonitor which was developed to work with FakeSMC, but it only shows my HDD temps...

I assume FakeSMC we are using has likely been modified to work with Ryzen but I'm not sure. I'd really like to be able to see my temps etc if at all possible :)

Does anyone have a way of monitoring CPU temp / Mobo / etc? I have tried HWMonitor which was developed to work with FakeSMC, but it only shows my HDD temps...

I assume FakeSMC we are using has likely been modified to work with Ryzen but I'm not sure. I'd really like to be able to see my temps etc if at all possible :)

The FakeSMC.kext we are using is the same as the one Intel folks use.

I know because i used the one from HW Sensors software and it makes no difference.

Beware that if you install HW Sensors and select any other sensor package other than the GPU, your system may not boot.

So far I have only been able to monitor Nvidia Cards GPU Temperature and Core and Memory clocks.

The FakeSMC.kext we are using is the same as the one Intel folks use.

I know because i used the one from HW Sensors software and it makes no difference.

Beware that if you install HW Sensors and select any other sensor package other than the GPU, your system may not boot.

So far I have only been able to monitor Nvidia Cards GPU Temperature and Core and Memory clocks.

Strange.. I just installed HW Sensors and it will only show me the temps and state of my SSD's, nothing else, not even core clocks. Are you downloading from http://www.hwsensors.com/releases ?

If you have AMD card it doesn't show anything. If you have Nvidia card then select Customize when installing HW Sensors and select GPU Sensors.

Ah, yes thank you. I need to update my signature: R9 280x. Nothing for CPU temp and clock though?

AFAIK: Nothing. Our CPUs are not meant to be used with macOS so I guess there are no drivers to do the back and forth communication.

Well it was worth a shot haha, I should be fine, I'm not overclocked or anything.

I have been booted completely stable for the past few hours doing some housekeeping on the Ryzen hack to test stability... And it' been perfect! Working video, audio, everything is smooth. I've been sorting files, placing orders, listening to Spotify, and even importing some raw footage to FCPX! 

I was really impressed with the Import speed so I made a quick video... :D

https://youtu.be/UG43CnN4UMc

Well it was worth a shot haha, I should be fine, I'm not overclocked or anything.

I have been booted completely stable for the past few hours doing some housekeeping on the Ryzen hack to test stability... And it' been perfect! Working video, audio, everything is smooth. I've been sorting files, placing orders, listening to Spotify, and even importing some raw footage to FCPX!

I was really impressed with the Import speed so I made a quick video... :D

https://youtu.be/UG43CnN4UMc

How did you get audio working? I can't get anything audio-related. No audio card no HDMI audio, NOTHING. I have The Asus Crosshair motherboard.

How did you get audio working? I can't get anything audio-related. No audio card no HDMI audio, NOTHING. I have The Asus Crosshair motherboard.

I couldn't get it working either, so I got this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BMG9TB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works immediately!

Also, if anyone is skeptical about choosing Ryzen or not... I think this should convince you.

Here is the benchmark of the most powerful MacPro made. This machine is over $5000 from Apple.

The difference in MultiCore Geekbench score between these computers is only ~2000. Praise the PC gods!

ZGWnrj7.png

And here is the benchmark from my $300 Ryzen 1700X at stock 3.4GHz clock:

qIoZNHO.png

• Like 2