Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

Mmmm.. to me it says "no driver found to built 17A306f" and does not offer any download option... I'm using NVIDIA® WebDriver Updater v1.5

To install the driver i use os 10.12.6, After i upgrade to high sierra beta 3 and i patch it. the upgrade to high seirra Not work

i guess nvidia cant release webdriver untill high sierra GM release

They released webdriver for Sierra DB1 the day after its first build. Nah, maybe it is something else... maybe they have trouble with metal 2 or their interests are purely elsewhere.

Understand by that why updating drivers for macOS when Apple's no more using nvidia graphics cards??? This is the message delivered by nvidia with 10.12.4 webdriver (Nvidia Web Driver - 378.05.05.05f01) with Pascal support.   ;) 

• Like 1

cool, i will try it this night

i think that in the worst case we have to please nvidia to release an high sierra web driver, like the community did with pascal support

attachicon.gifcinebench.jpeg screen of cinebench on beta 3

luxmarkattachicon.giflux.jpeg

What did you do different from all of us to get OpenGL and Metal working? I use the patched 10.12.6 WebDriver on 17A306f with my AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Extreme edition. Definitely no OpenGL or Metal support. Cinebench OpenGL Benchmark simply fails.

What I did so far:

1.) Download and installation of the patched 10.12.6 WebDriver from HERE

2.) Patch of the "NVDAStartupWeb.kext" with Nvidia WebDriver Updater v1.5 to "17A306f" (PB2 and DP3)

3.) "NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext" and "SkylakeGPolicy.kext" in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Others/

post-1362934-0-81666700-1500966384_thumb.png

What did you do different from all of us to get OpenGL and Metal working? I use the patched 10.12.6 WebDriver on 17A306f with my AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Extreme edition. Definitely no OpenGL or Metal support. Cinebench OpenGL Benchmark simply fails.

The Pascal GPU haven't acceleration for the moment.

• Like 1

The Pascal GPU haven't acceleration for the moment.

And why that? The 10.12.6 Driver works fine with Pascal under Sierra...

I hope that the former quite weird and annoying Nvidia Sierra Pascal Driver driver story will not find it's continuation under High Sierra. It is anyway more than strange that no official 10.13 WebDriver has been released yet by Nvidia  :cry: ....

Just finished some extended chat with the Nvidia support hotline  :cry:

Apparently, the 10.12 Nvidia Pascal Web Driver disaster will find its continuation under 10.13 High Sierra  :wallbash:

The answer was quite clear. There is an ongoing dispute between Apple and Nvidia concerning contracts, rights and marketing policies... Currently he was not able to say if there will be 10.13 macOS High Sierra web driver support at all. But for sure it seems that there will not be any 10.13 Web Driver support in the near future!  :thumbsdown_anim:

Very deceiving news   :help:

Ironically, the 10.12.6 Web Driver workaround just supports OpenGL and Metal for Kepler graphics cards. Pascal and likely also Maxwell users have to live with proper screen resolution and basic video acceleration  :bye:  :blowup:

• Like 2

Apparently, the 10.12 Nvidia Pascal Web Driver disaster will find its continuation under 10.13 High Sierra  :wallbash:

There will not be any 10.13 Web Driver support in the near future!  :thumbsdown_anim:

Ironically, the 10.12.6 Web Driver workaround again just supports Maxwell but not Pascal! Just bad luck?  :bye:  :blowup:

Well that's too bad! :no:  :thumbsdown_anim:

Is there some user with a Maxwell graphics card who is been able to activate meltal 2/opencl acceleration in any version of High Sierra?

I mean with old driver 10.12.5/6 hack?

From what I see only falcodj has acceleration from his grab and he uses a Kepler card

With my gtx 1080 ti I have no acceleration but only the chances to use cuda on a multimonitor rig (laggy OSX interface)

Uppps... I guess your are right... it was Kepler not Maxwell! In any case Pascal is not supported by the 10.12.6 workaround for sure..

There will not be any 10.13 Web Driver support in the near future!  :thumbsdown_anim:

Ironically, the 10.12.6 Web Driver workaround just supports OpenGL and Metal for Kepler grapics cards. Pascal and likely also Maxwell users have to live with proper screen resolution and basic video acceleration  :bye:  :blowup:

I really don't understand what your mean is. I'm using pascal GPU and I think the web driver for 10.12.6 is working well.

Can you explain more detail ?

I really don't understand what your mean is. I'm using pascal GPU and I think the web driver for 10.12.6 is working well.

Can you explain more detail ?

Did you read my post? I am not talking about the web driver for 10.12.6 macOS Sierra. I am talking about a the web driver for 10.13 macOS High Sierra, yet to be released! After having a chat with the Nvidia hotline yesterday it seems to be quite sure that there will not be any 10.13 macOS High Sierra Web Driver in the near future. The current workaround with the patched 12.10.6 Web Driver under 10.13 macOS High Sierra provides OpenGL and metal support just with Kepler GPUs. Pascal and Maxwell users have to live with basic support like proper screen resolution and basic video acceleration (no OpenGL or Metal support with Pascal and Maxwell under 10.13 with the workaround). The graphics interface therefore is quite laggy and e.g. causes glitches and partly missing resolution when moving or opening windows, etc...   

Did you read my post? I am not talking about the web driver for 10.12.6 macOS Sierra. I am talking about a the web driver for 10.13 macOS High Sierra, yet to be released! After having a chat with the Nvidia hotline yesterday it seems to be quite sure that there will not be any 10.13 macOS High Sierra Web Driver in the near future. The current workaround with the patched 12.10.6 Web Driver under 10.13 macOS High Sierra provides OpenGL and metal support just with Kepler GPUs. Pascal and Maxwell users have to live with basic support like proper screen resolution and basic video acceleration (no OpenGL or Metal support with Pascal and Maxwell under 10.13 with the workaround). The graphics interface therefore is quite laggy and e.g. causes glitches and partly missing resolution when moving or opening windows, etc...   

I personally don't believe that support staff would have access to driver development timelines. As for 10.12 web drivers that support Pascal, no one knew they were coming until the news suddenly dropped and they were available a few days later.

I do believe that it may take a while for Nvidia to adapt the web drivers to suit Metal 2 and other changes in 10.13, which is perhaps why we have not seen an updated driver as yet. I don't see any reason for Nvidia not to maintain their drivers as High Sierra has such a focus on eGPU-related development, AR etc. which only broadens their market (IF they maintain their drivers).

• Like 1

I personally don't believe that support staff would have access to driver development timelines. As for 10.12 web drivers that support Pascal, no one knew they were coming until the news suddenly dropped and they were available a few days later.

I do believe that it may take a while for Nvidia to adapt the web drivers to suit Metal 2 and other changes in 10.13, which is perhaps why we have not seen an updated driver as yet. I don't see any reason for Nvidia not to maintain their drivers as High Sierra has such a focus on eGPU-related development, AR etc. which only broadens their market (IF they maintain their drivers).

I would be more than happy if you are right! Cheers!

"OMG, i'd thought i'd never see the day. Am i dreaming? Like seriously this can't be happening right now..!!!"

(are U sure? if what Nvidia means was Web Driver for macOS Beta, they already dropped it's support while ago << I just hope something like that. Cheers!)  ^_^

"OMG, i'd thought i'd never see the day. Am i dreaming? Like seriously this can't be happening right now..!!!"

(are U sure? if what Nvidia means was Beta Web Driver, they already dropped it's support while ago << I just hope something like that. Cheers!)  ^_^

The answer was quite clear. There is an ongoing dispute between Apple and Nvidia concerning contracts, rights and marketing policies... Currently he was not able to say if there will be 10.13 macOS High Sierra web driver support at all. 

• Like 1

(are U sure? if what Nvidia means was Web Driver for macOS Beta, they already dropped it's support while ago << I just hope something like that. Cheers!)  ^_^

The one who looks the most stupid here is Nvidia. Why?

• Apple made a big push towards Thunderbolt based external GPU enclosures and related advancements in macOS High Sierra.
  • Nvidia made a big announcement of continued driver support for Apple's operating system on Pascal hardware.

I bet Nvidia will have a beta driver ready by the time High Sierra launches around October 2017. If they don't, no one will take any of their support announcements seriously.

We can continue to use Sierra 10.12 for the time being.

• Like 3

i think that we have to make pressure on nvidia to have a driver release and also we have to do pressure to have also external cpu support in web drivers, so real mac users can also enjoy it, but the think that i'd like to see most is a proper open cl support in the web drivers to have better performance in apple software and also be able to get some software to work 

• Like 1

i think that we have to make pressure on nvidia to have a driver release and also we have to do pressure to have also external cpu support in web drivers, so real mac users can also enjoy it, but the think that i'd like to see most is a proper open cl support in the web drivers to have better performance in apple software and also be able to get some software to work 

I fully agree that we should start to make pressure on Nvidia concerning 10.13 Web Drivers. If we just wait like in case of Pascal and 10.12, the 10.12 Pascal Web Driver Disaster might find its continuation in a general 10.13 Web Driver Disaster. I think at least it would be fair to know about Nvidia's plans and strategies in this direction. This could avoid steadily growing concerns on side of the users and the hackintosh community.

i think that nvidia is no longer interested in mac drivers, they are just offering better drivers for existing mac for nvidia graphics cards that apple still supports and for the peoples who upgraded they old style mac pro with an maxwell GPU, pascal gpu support is just like satisfying for a moment a whim of a child, so nvidia just satisfied our whim for some time, but  they just do not want to continue supporting us, because they are not interested.

i hope nvidia will came back in mac scene, but for now apple has better agreements with amd so if we want to still use the latest gpus in the future, we have to switch to amd

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1080 GTX with 10.13 DP5 /w the 10.12.6 drivers. Can confirm not working. :-(

modified the version checker to match 10.13 DP5's build and took care of the graphics device policy edit. Black screen and no window server (can't even ARD into it) with the webdrivers enabled.

As for the prior discussion with the Apple vs Nvidia conflict... no surprise. but Apple doesn't have the ability to restrict or prevent Nvidia from releasing kexts for their OS... the only leverage Apple would have is to not work with Nivida and not include their products in their macs in the future. aka the current status quo. If Nvidia wanted to they could engineer and distribute web drivers all they wanted for OS X, they just won't get the cooperation of Apple. Its not like there is documentation for how these features work in Macs... Apple just isnt timely in releasing it in advance unless you are a partner (often it comes a few months after OS X goes gold). In theory, even without Apple's help, their OS X market would be larger under 10.13 with the thunderbolt 3 enclosures than they have today (just old macpros being updated and a few enthusiasts doing... unsupported activities).

Really, I think Nvidia wants to try and get its Quadros as an option for the Mac Pro in 2018. ^.~

• Like 1