Ventura, Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra on HP 800 G1 USDT,SFF and Tower PC's

Donw35
430 posts in this topic

I'd like to share my experience with the HP 800 G1 SFF. My machine is a i5-4590 with 16GiB of RAM with using the integrated HD4600 as IGPU. I'm using:

Machine:

• BIOS version 02.75.
  • Using BIOS defaults:
    • Disable VT-D
    • Disable PCI Option Roms (this one prevented me to boot via DisplayPort).
  • Additional BIOS hacks (see below).
  • macOS 10.14.4 installed via a separate machine.
  • Video over DisplayPort.

Clover:

KEXTS (all in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other):

• IntelMausiEthernet (2.5.0d0)
  • Lilu (1.3.5)
  • VirtualSMC (1.0.3 with all drivers)
  • USBInjectAll (0.7.1)
  • VoodooHDA (2.9.1)
  • WhateverGreen (1.2.8)

Drivers (all in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI):

• ApfsDriverLoader-64
  • AptioMemoryFix-64
  • VirtualSmc

I spent a lot of hours on minimizing the config.plist file to stay as vanilla as possible, and remove anything that doesn't add (noticeable) value.

Now here comes the real work. Initially, I found out that you cannot disable CFG LOCK in the BIOS. It's easily fixed using some of the Clover patches, but I wanted to use a different approach. First, I tried to patch my BIOS using UEFIPatch. Patching went well, but flashing not. I then downloaded the BIOS using an EEPROM reader, did the patching and flashed in back. This worked great, and I verified this using the AppleIntelInfo.kext.

I then wanted to fix my HD4600 graphics, but there is no way in the BIOS to set the amount of memory allocated (DVMT setting). I then came across this excellent blog that also applies to the HP 800 G1 BIOS. Using this method, I could set the DVMT Pre-Allocated setting. But it also turns out that you can disable the CFG Lock this way! I reverted my BIOS, and used the following two commands in the EFI Shell (not the one from Clover, see the article):

//
// HP 800 G1 SFF BIOS 02.75 only!
//

// Change DVMT Pre-Allocated to 128 MiB
setup_var 0x233 0x4

// Disable CFG-LOCK
setup_var 0x4a3 0x0

Again, you can verify this change using AppleIntelInfo.

I currently have this machine running for about a day and I am typing this from this machine. Sound works, LAN works, sleep works, USB ports work, P/C states work and Turbo Boost works. The power button doesn't work (but I don't care), neither does 4K@60Hz output. Let's see what coming days will bring, but so far it has been a great learning. 

Edited by basilfx
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, basilfx said:

I'd like to share my experience with the HP 800 G1 SFF. My machine is a i5-4590 with 16GiB of RAM with using the integrated HD4600 as IGPU. I'm using:

Machine:

• BIOS version 02.75.
  • Using BIOS defaults:
    • Disable VT-D
    • Disable PCI Option Roms (this one prevented me to boot via DisplayPort).
  • Additional BIOS hacks (see below).
  • macOS 10.14.4 installed via a separate machine.
  • Video over DisplayPort.

Clover:

KEXTS (all in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other):

• IntelMausiEthernet (2.5.0d0)
  • Lilu (1.3.5)
  • VirtualSMC (1.0.3 with all drivers)
  • USBInjectAll (0.7.1)
  • VoodooHDA (2.9.1)
  • WhateverGreen (1.2.8)

Drivers (all in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI):

• ApfsDriverLoader-64
  • AptioMemoryFix-64
  • VirtualSmc

I spent a lot of hours on minimizing the config.plist file to stay as vanilla as possible, and remove anything that doesn't add (noticeable) value.

Now here comes the real work. Initially, I found out that you cannot disable CFG LOCK in the BIOS. It's easily fixed using some of the Clover patches, but I wanted to use a different approach. First, I tried to patch my BIOS using UEFIPatch. Patching went well, but flashing not. I then downloaded the BIOS using an EEPROM reader, did the patching and flashed in back. This worked great, and I verified this using the AppleIntelInfo.kext.

I then wanted to fix my HD4600 graphics, but there is no way in the BIOS to set the amount of memory allocated (DVMT setting). I then came across this excellent blog that also applies to the HP 800 G1 BIOS. Using this method, I could set the DVMT Pre-Allocated setting. But it also turns out that you can disable the CFG Lock this way! I reverted my BIOS, and used the following two commands in the EFI Shell (not the one from Clover, see the article):

//
// HP 800 G1 SFF BIOS 02.75 only!
//

// Change DVMT Pre-Allocated to 128 MiB
setup_var 0x233 0x4

// Disable CFG-LOCK
setup_var 0x4a3 0x0

Again, you can verify this change using AppleIntelInfo.

I currently have this machine running for about a day and I am typing this from this machine. Sound works, LAN works, sleep works, USB ports work, P/C states work and Turbo Boost works. The power button doesn't work (but I don't care), neither does 4K@60Hz output. Let's see what coming days will bring, but so far it has been a great learning. 

Great experience! Would you like to share Geekbench score?

On 4/25/2017 at 9:02 AM, Donw35 said:

10.14 using Intel onboard iGPU

1. Install Sierra from a real MAC to the hard drive going into the HP EliteDesk 800 G1

2. Install Clover v4813 from real MAC to hard disk with the below options checked

* Clover for UEFI booting only

* Install Clover in the ESP

* Themes

* drivers64UEFI

ApfsDrvierLoader-64..efi

AptioMemoryFix-64.efi

* Install RC scripts on target volume

* Optional RC Scripts - All

* Install Clover Preference Pane

3 Use Clover Configurator to Edit config.plist but see below for the code or just use mine and rename to config.plist 

4 Added the following Kext's to \EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other

*** Versions are important, use these or higher ***

FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext version 6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759

FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext version 6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759

FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext version 6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759

FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext version 6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759

FakeSMC.kext 6.26-357-gceb835ea.1800

IntelMausiEthernet.kext 2.4.0d0

USBInjectAll.kext 0.6.7

VoodooHDA.kext 2.9.1

Lulu.kext 1.2.8

WhateverGreen.kext 1.24

5 Reboot and setup

6 Sleep working, wake up using keyboard  -- open terminal and type sudo pmset -a standby 0   to resolve issues with waking up

I only tested video using the DP port

4k does not work

Note: this will probably work for other EliteDesk Towers, Small Form Factor and Ultra Small Form Factor

Working -- here is what I did with some help from others

1. Installed Sierra from a real MAC to the hard drive going into the HP EliteDesk 800 G1

2. Installed Clover v4630 from real MAC to hard disk

Bootloader - Install boot0af in MBR

CloverEFI - CloverEFI 64-bits SATA

Drivers64UEFI

ApfsDrvierLoader-64..efi

AptioMemoryFix-64.efi

Install all RC scripts on target volume

Install Clover Preference Pane

3 Used Clover Configurator to Edit config.plist but see below for the code

4 Added the following Kext's to \EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other

F akeSMC.kext

IntelMausiEthernet.kext

Lili.kext

5 Sound working with VoodooHDA 2.8.9 Clover-V6 (sound comes out of the internal speaker and green jack)

6 WiFi working OOB (AR9280 AR5BHB92 PCIe) Amazon $17

7 Sleep working, wake up using keyboard  -- open terminal and type sudo pmset -a standby 0   to resolve issues with waking up

UPDATE 11/17/2018 *** Speed step was not working FIXED *** EFI zip is a copy of the settings I am using. create your own serial number.

As of this date, my Mojave 10.14.1 is solid, I did do a test and 4k @ 60hz is not working. Not a problem at this moment and once we have Nvidia drives I have a 1050ti for this machine that I will go back to, then I will get my 4k monitor for. this machine.

Clover 4813

Below version or higher required to boot

EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext version 6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759

FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext version 6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759

FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext version 6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759

FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext version 6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759

FakeSMC.kext version 6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1800

IntelMausiEthernet.kext version 2.3.0b0

Lilu.kext version 1.2.8

USBinjectAll.kext version 0.6.8

WhatEverGreen.kext 1.2.4

VoodooHDA.kext version 2.9.1

EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI

AppleDriverLOader-64.efi

AptioMemoryFix-64.efi

UPDATE ---  I added my newest clover folder, it has USBMpa.kext for the USB ports. no more patching between updates. make sure you are using clover 4871 or newer

see file Clover_04062019, fix serial number for your own

HP_800_G1_Elitedesk.zip

Clover_04062019.zip

I am using a HP EliteDesk 800 G3 and it starts to install but I get a panic.  Will this work on a 3. I am using your EFI but you talk about a serial number and I am not sure what that is and if that may be the cause of the problem. If it is where do I get that

• Like 1

you can make one up, I don't know if it will cause a panic though....

here is one that I generated in Clover Configurator 

D25NVLZSF8JC

I haven't had access to a G3 but I think it should work. 

what are your specs on this machine ? 

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly just wanted to say thank you all for making my first Hackintosh build so easy. I have 800 G1 USDT running Mojave and everything is running perfectly except I am unable to get 4K output from the HD4600. I have tried every solution I can find online for enabling the 4K output but nothing seems to be working.

Has anyone been able to get 4k running on these machines?

Thanks again for all your help :)

I tested this a while ago and 4k didn't work, it does work in Windows 10 so we know its something with the config, try using a SMBIOS that has 4k or 5k monitor support and let us know.

Soooo I was finally able to get 4K output working. I did this by installing:

This is my first time doing any of this so there may be better options out there. But for now 4K seems to be working from the HD4600

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to add something new, since I just acquired an HP 800 G1 USFF:
I really had no luck with these instructions, but I don't have much patience.

I did install the Olarila version of Mojave, and it worked the very first time!  The only i had to manually tweak was the installation of the Ethernet kext.

THIS MACHINE FREAKIN' ROCKS!

Take care!

Edited by deeezy
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to you guys I got my system to work, just updated to 10.14.6 18G95 perfectly fine!

Updated to Clover bootloader 5055 fine too. Much appreciated for your hard work guys, I will assist people in anyway I can in this thread too.

• Like 1

Same with me, I plan on waiting till November/December until they've ironed out the initial bugs. I doubt the procedure will be much different to Mojave though.

Interestingly enough the CPU in these HP 800 units (I5-4590) is the same CPU they used in the 2015 iMac... so plenty of life left in this HP machine for sure.

Hello everybody,

I'm trying, hehe, with no luck, to install Mojave on a HP 800 G1 ultra slim

I think I followed every steps including the use of main page's clover.zip

Still no luck with a serie of ++++++++ and paf reboot

Can you give me any advice? What can be the root cause of this? 

Thanks a lot in advance