"Titan" Enables QE/CI for Hackintosh NVIDIA Cards

REVENGE

58 posts in this topic

In an unexpected breakthrough, Omni released on November 1st a special kext codenamed "Titan" that enables 10.4.8 original NVIDIA kexts to properly detect and accelerate QE/CI on PC NVIDIA video cards. Implications include being able to use a wide range of PC NVIDIA graphics cards with both "Hackintoshes" and "Macintoshes", and possibly even ATI drivers in the future based on the same method. The kext itself is NOT a modification of the original NVIDIA 10.4.8 kexts, but rather something that enables the PC cards to be initialized properly (full technical explication on Omni's site). Note that this kext will only "officially" work with new 10.4.8 hackernels (currently, only Intel SSE3 is available), although some users have reported success with older kernels by moving over the 10.4.8 NVIDIA kexts.

UPDATE: Just a reminder that various 10.4.8 AMD SSE3 kernels are also in beta staging right now. They are stable enough to be deployed and used, though deployment is still a hassle because no ppf patch has been released. If you have a Geforce graphics card and an AMD processor (like me), you can head on over to our genius bar and try to get a new kernel working to install Titan/Natit. Good luck!

Current version: Titan Novermber 4th Release

Thanks to Simania NL for posting this in Reader News!

A preliminary HCL has been setup here.

UPDATE: NeoPheus, creator of the easy-to-use installers for the Borisbandenov ATI driver and the DaemonES Realtek driver, has created a new installer for dm_webd's Titan clone "Natit".

NeoPheus "Natit" Installer

"Natit" by dm_webd support thread

UPDATE: Our wiki now has an info page with HCL on Titan

Try it folks and post your results!

Edited by REVENGE

In an unexpected breakthrough, Omni released on November 1st a special kext codenamed "Titan" that enables 10.4.8 original NVIDIA kexts to properly detect and accelerate QE/CI on PC NVIDIA video cards. Implications include being able to use a wide range of PC NVIDIA graphics cards with both "Hackintoshes" and "Macintoshes", and possibly even ATI drivers in the future based on the same method. The kext itself is NOT a modification of the original NVIDIA 10.4.8 kexts, but rather something that enables the PC cards to be initialized properly (full technical explication on Omni's site). Note that this kext will only "officially" work with new 10.4.8 hackernels (currently, only Intel SSE3 is available), although some users have reported success with older kernels by moving over the 10.4.8 NVIDIA kexts.

Current version: Titan Novermber 4th Release

Thanks to Simania NL for posting this in Reader News!

A preliminary HCL has been setup here.

Try it folks and post your results!

Hm OK, nice news!

But now you can add:

Installer for Natit (Titan clone) by NeoPheus there: My Website

Test it and post results!

cYa NeoPheus

There is absolutely lots of hope for you. Omni has said on his site that he is looking into employing a similar method to get ATI cards to work. Remember, this is not modifying the original driver kexts, but rather creating a kext that delivers the information to the driver needed to initialize cards properly.

True Revenge but remember that x200 is, from what I understand, different in it's design from the rest of the ATI cards. But anyway, here's to the glass is being half full.

Plus, yeah I'm willing to donate some money as well if it works for AMD Xpress 200M cards as well.

This is insightful work by Omni, I'm glad his expertise is once again on the project.

joblo10 and I suspected the limitations of ATI drivers were due to missing keys, but we added them too late in the boot process with our AGP kext - which is sort of hopeless anyway in a more and more PCIe world.

Apple machines may be able to use Titan, but they would miss out on a console for the EFI startup world, unless it was a second monitor (only Mac Pro's support plugin cards).

It works a lot better on the Hackintosh because that is a BIOS machine using a BIOS startup.

Hm OK, nice news!

But now you can add:

Installer for Natit (Titan clone) by NeoPheus there: My Website

Test it and post results!

cYa NeoPheus

Oh man this saved my life! I was desperate trying to install it manuallyh but no progress and now with this great installer I was able to get my 7900GT fully working with a few clicks :compress:

note that this kext will only "officially" work with new 10.4.8 hackernels (currently, only Intel SSE3 is available), although some users have reported success with older kernels by moving over the 10.4.8 NVIDIA kexts.

Did anyone try that method without the 10.4.8 kernal?

Wow, if this would've came out a month or two early I could've gotten that Geforce 7800 or whatever it was that was the same price as my x1600 that I got for OS X. :compress:

Me too! My x1600 still isn't quite working 100%...

A nice shiny 7800 may be on my shopping list now...

(Holds breath for someone to change kexts for ATI...)

joneSi

On my AMD machine Titan doesn't start CI/QE support. I deleted Geforce.kext to make system bootable in GUI and have Nforce4Ultra chipset with Geforce 6600. What to do to turn on CI/QE?

And o'corse i have 8.8.1 kernel, and 10.4.8 install.