[HOW TO] Upgrade your 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 with new kernel

aberracus

118 posts in this topic

Hikari, it will work perfect

Toadsix, your partytion or system was booting previusly? one of the wonders of this method is that it is an upgrade on your working system

you really dont have any problem hardware wise

maybe you need to use GPARTED live cd (google it) and Flag your partition as booteable... but that only if its a fresh install

it was a working system.

i originally had the 10.4.8 re-seed and ran the semthex kernel, had to mess with a few thing to get the bugs worked out. it was real unstable for me.

so i tried doing the kernel update only, and replaced the applesmbios.kext repaired permissions (off a fresh 10.4.6 install with 10.4.8 combo update) and it gives me still waiting for root device.....

kextd[27]: kext-watch-volumes:couldn't set up diskarb sessions

kextd[27]: diskarb isn't ready yet; we';; try again soon

hnnrs, i got exactly the same....

any ideas someone?

the weird thing is i have two partitions. i did copy new kernel and everything on one of them, but the second one stopped booting as well :compress:

I'm like totally having problems. Now I get a Kernel Panic (CPU divide 0) and a Kernel Stack and I installed the offical USB kexts. IOUSBFamily-261.4.2, still does not work.

I don't have a digital camera, so I can't take a picture of it.

Specs:

Dell Dimension 8400

Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Prescott (SSE, SSE2, SSE3) 550

Updated via the method currently in the first post (I had no issues when following the instructions), results:

Computer boots till "Loading Darwin/x86" the restarts.

This loops continually.

I tried a few switches at boot:

"-s -v -legacy fsb=800"

Right now I am acquiring the somplete JaS 10.4.8 so I may just reinstall the entire thing, that will give me a chance to dual boot anyways...

I have another Mac and an external enclosure—I imagine i'll end up using them to fix things.....

This method is really good, thanks very much aberracus and also mifki :blink:

I have builded a package with packagemaker, it content all files combo 10.4.8 update from apple with mifki kernel and applesmbios.kext. It work well.

The only problem is a trouble with GMA950, integrated videocard of the asrock 945G DVI, it not work well, and I not foud the way for a solution :angel:

I only have VGA out because don't have DVI monitor, and don't try the DVI card still.

I have seen that in 10.4.7 there are only applei915 kext's , while in 10.4.8 there are applei915 and apple gma950 kext, witch think result confused and i believe that nobody has experimented with it, or that I think .

I installed 10.4.6 JaS, then 10.4.8 Combo. Put AppleSMBIOS.kext, replaced kernel. Then Installed MacVidia, just in case, now when I boot it hangs at logon window started.

I tried all sorts of options -x, -v, fsb=133, -nohpet, -legacy. But nope nothing works. I installed again, but didnot install MacVidia and still same problem.

Someone help me please.

BTW the 10.4.8 DVD also conks out, just before showing the Blue Screen, where u select language.

I have a Celeron D 315 with NO NX and using semthex kernel. I tried Mifki kernel, but it did not work.

This does not work on a Dell Inspiron 6400 with the Intel 945GM Express Graphics Card.

However it seems to be a Driver issue rather than a Kernel issue, as when I plugged in an external monitor it let me view Mac (however the picture was very grainy with lines crisscrossing on it)

Just a heads up for other Inspiron 6400 users... oh well. Time to install 10.4.7 for the 6th time today.