[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, golimpio said:

I’m using the latest I2C and stopped using VoodooInput. I wasn’t using the latest I2C version before, so I wasn’t experiencing the panics. I should have tested it before make the changes, but unfortunately I didn’t. So I can’t confirm that the changes I’ve done really solved the panic issue. 

Thanks. I just really wish I knew how to modify these kexts myself to make for a better experience on the trackpad. I don't even really know where to begin with that, but considering I2C works well (except for me) and VoodooInput doesn't cause (me) panics (and reduces number of kexts used, since I2C needs two), surely there must be a way to make a kext that is the best of both worlds. :/

• Thanks 1

Actually, it looks like I found a solution after all! 

Long story short: VoodooPS2Controller was the reason behind my trackpad cursor instability, not VoodooInput. I found this out by tinkering with the plugin inside of VoodooPS2Controller, called VoodooPS2Trackpad. I used an old version of the plugin located inside my original VoodooPS2Controller to replace the newest version that was causing problems. This plugin has been removed entirely as of update #3. Read below for more info.

This helped me in two ways: It stabilized my trackpad cursor movement (it is perfect now!) and now that I can use the newest version of VoodooPS2Controller (with old VoodooPS2Trackpad plugin), I have a working caps-lock LED!

As long as I don’t experience any KPs, this is a big improvement all around. See update #3.

For reference, here are all of the changes I've made to my kexts folder, versus the current repo for 10.14.6:

• VoodooI2C.kext (using version 2.2) 

• VoodooI2CHID.kext (satellite for I2C above)

VoodooInput.kext version 1.0.3 removed as of update #3 below

• VoodooPS2Controller.kext version 2.1.2 using VoodooPS2Trackpad plugin from version 2.0.4 <--- IMPORTANT (See update #3)

End Results:

• Keyboard working!

• Caps-lock LED working!

• "~" key for ANSI layout working!

• Trackpad working!

• Multi-touch gestures working!

• 4K Touchscreen (single finger) working!

• 4k Touchscreen Multi-touch ***not working :( (see update below) (working as of update #3)

No KPs as of this writing. Will update if this changes. Still testing for KPs.

UPDATE: I later realized that VoodooInput does not enable multi-touch support for the 4k touchscreen. This is somewhat disappointing, but expected. I attempted a few workarounds for this, but no success to speak of as of yet.

UPDATE 2: As I was tinkering with workarounds for the touchscreen issue, I got a startup KP from VoodooPS2Controller. It could have been triggered by what I was doing, but it is likely that I am still getting random KPs from the newest version of the kext. Time will tell...

UPDATE 3: It appears VoodooPS2Controller was still causing startup KPs, specifically from the VoodooPS2Trackpad plugin. So, as a test, I have removed the plugin from inside of it entirely, and have stopped using VoodooInput as well (since it is dependent upon that plugin to work). Instead, I am now back to using VoodooI2C and VoodooI2CHID, but version 2.2 instead of 2.3 (due to KPs after wake from sleep). I have implemented some ACPI patches as recommended by the xxxzc repo to compliment VoodooI2C 2.2. The startup KPs have stopped, and VoodooI2C 2.2 does not give me KPs after wake from sleep. This is the most stable configuration so far. Will update if I experience anymore KPs.

Edited by agrafuese
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if you're fine with it - can you upload the modified files, so i can add them to the repository?

wild guess: i'm using the european version with iso layout on multiple machines, without any issue (so i cannot replicate the initial issue). I only got reports from US / CN - so maybe there is a difference in the machines itself?

On 3/13/2020 at 2:25 PM, agrafuese said:

Actually, it looks like I found a solution after all! 

Long story short: VoodooPS2Controller was the reason behind my trackpad cursor instability, not VoodooInput. I found this out by tinkering with the plugin inside of VoodooPS2Controller, called VoodooPS2Trackpad. I used an old version of the plugin located inside my original VoodooPS2Controller to replace the newest version that was causing problems. This plugin has been removed entirely as of update #3. Read below for more info.

This helped me in two ways: It stabilized my trackpad cursor movement (it is perfect now!) and now that I can use the newest version of VoodooPS2Controller (with old VoodooPS2Trackpad plugin), I have a working caps-lock LED!

As long as I don’t experience any KPs, this is a big improvement all around. See update #3.

For reference, here are all of the changes I've made to my kexts folder, versus the current repo for 10.14.6:

• VoodooI2C.kext (using version 2.2) 

• VoodooI2CHID.kext (satellite for I2C above)

VoodooInput.kext version 1.0.3 removed as of update #3 below

• VoodooPS2Controller.kext version 2.1.2 using VoodooPS2Trackpad plugin from version 2.0.4 <--- IMPORTANT (See update #3)

End Results:

• Keyboard working!

• Caps-lock LED working!

• "~" key for ANSI layout working!

• Trackpad working!

• Multi-touch gestures working!

• 4K Touchscreen (single finger) working!

• 4k Touchscreen Multi-touch ***not working :( (see update below) (working as of update #3)

No KPs as of this writing. Will update if this changes. Still testing for KPs.

UPDATE: I later realized that VoodooInput does not enable multi-touch support for the 4k touchscreen. This is somewhat disappointing, but expected. I attempted a few workarounds for this, but no success to speak of as of yet.

UPDATE 2: As I was tinkering with workarounds for the touchscreen issue, I got a startup KP from VoodooPS2Controller. It could have been triggered by what I was doing, but it is likely that I am still getting random KPs from the newest version of the kext. Time will tell...

UPDATE 3: It appears VoodooPS2Controller was still causing startup KPs, specifically from the VoodooPS2Trackpad plugin. So, as a test, I have removed the plugin from inside of it entirely, and have stopped using VoodooInput as well (since it is dependent upon that plugin to work). Instead, I am now back to using VoodooI2C and VoodooI2CHID, but version 2.2 instead of 2.3 (due to KPs after wake from sleep). I have implemented some ACPI patches as recommended by the xxxzc repo to compliment VoodooI2C 2.2. The startup KPs have stopped, and VoodooI2C 2.2 does not give me KPs after wake from sleep. This is the most stable configuration so far. Will update if I experience anymore KPs.

Just to confirm: although I didn't experience kernel panic on boot, I do have kernel panic on sleep with the latest VoodooI2C, even if I apply the patch. Also, I was using VoodooI2C 2.2 before, and I didn't have kernel panic on boot and also didn't have it at sleep. Thanks.

On 3/17/2020 at 5:39 AM, wmchris said:

if you're fine with it - can you upload the modified files, so i can add them to the repository?

wild guess: i'm using the european version with iso layout on multiple machines, without any issue (so i cannot replicate the initial issue). I only got reports from US / CN - so maybe there is a difference in the machines itself?

Absolutely - and to confirm, my system has been amazingly stable ever since my post about these changes. I should also note that my version of Clover is still 4895, and I am still on 10.14.6. Here are all of the changed files, in existing folder structure.

CLOVER - agrafuese.zip

18 hours ago, golimpio said:

Just to confirm: although I didn't experience kernel panic on boot, I do have kernel panic on sleep with the latest VoodooI2C, even if I apply the patch. Also, I was using VoodooI2C 2.2 before, and I didn't have kernel panic on boot and also didn't have it at sleep. Thanks.

Yes, it seems 2.3 has issues on our machines. There is also an issue thread open on alexandred's github, but I didn't report it because I'm not sure how to provide debug info in a hotpatch situation. It seems they want DSDT files to accompany error reports. If you are more knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, maybe you can add to the issue thread, here: https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/issues/231

On 3/17/2020 at 5:39 AM, wmchris said:

Very possible. At least I will believe this so that I don't feel so crazy ;)

• Thanks 1

I cannot install because no compatible wifi card, i do have a usb to ethernet adapter thats supported by macOS but need to get the drivers install to be able to use it, is there anyway i could install the drivers through the terminal or share internet with lighting cable from my iphone?

On 3/24/2020 at 3:36 AM, haerhaer said:

I cannot install because no compatible wifi card, i do have a usb to ethernet adapter thats supported by macOS but need to get the drivers install to be able to use it, is there anyway i could install the drivers through the terminal or share internet with lighting cable from my iphone?

do you need wifi/internet to install? can't you install offline?

Edited by jwijesundra

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 7:58 AM, golimpio said:

I've updated to 10.15.4
BIOS: 1.13.1
Everything that was working before seems to be working fine.

What version of Clover are you running? I'm on 5103 and am having performing the update.

EDIT: Updating to version 5107 worked for the installer, however now loading the OS fails on "Hash data from ME never returned" - I've read that this relates to the Intel GPU. Could you please post your Clover folder so I can compare it with mine and see if I'm missing anything?

EDIT 2: Updating Clover to 5107, Lilu to 1.4.2 and WhateverGreen to 1.3.7 did the trick for getting 10.15.4 installed and running for me.

Edited by Rajveer86
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rajveer86 said:

What version of Clover are you running? I'm on 5103 and am having performing the update.

EDIT: Updating to version 5107 worked for the installer, however now loading the OS fails on "Hash data from ME never returned" - I've read that this relates to the Intel GPU. Could you please post your Clover folder so I can compare it with mine and see if I'm missing anything?

EDIT 2: Updating Clover to 5107, Lilu to 1.4.2 and WhateverGreen to 1.3.7 did the trick for getting 10.15.4 installed and running for me.

Cool, I'm also on 5107 and I also keep Lilu and WhateverGreen updated.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 6:58 PM, golimpio said:

I've updated to 10.15.4
BIOS: 1.13.1
Everything that was working before seems to be working fine.

Sorry, I've been using this for so long and still forget that the details are important.

Usually before updating to a minor or major MacOS version, I first update the bootloader (Clover) to the latest, reboot and test it, if it's all good, I'll update the kexts to their latest version as well and test if everything is working before I start updating MacOS.

So, again, my apologies, because my kexts are not the same versions from the ones in the repository.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 5:00 AM, agrafuese said:

Yes, it seems 2.3 has issues on our machines. There is also an issue thread open on alexandred's github, but I didn't report it because I'm not sure how to provide debug info in a hotpatch situation. It seems they want DSDT files to accompany error reports. If you are more knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, maybe you can add to the issue thread, here: https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/issues/231

Very possible. At least I will believe this so that I don't feel so crazy ;)

I've tested VoodooI2C 2.4 and the kernel panic after sleep is gone so far. I'm on 10.15.4 (19E287) / Clover 5109
I've noticed that double tap to drag is less reliable now, it works only 50% of the time.

kexts.png

Ah, I just saw your post on alexandred's github. :) I guess that's good progress for now. I hope they continue to work on it.

On an unrelated note, Mojave became corrupt and stopped booting yesterday. This happened after a really unsuccessful attempt to apply whatever the last security update was (back in February, I think?). I didn't even realize it was available, and I stupidly updated to it last week. I started seeing the nx_corruption messages sprout up in the boot console, and then it all went downhill from there. Now I'm in the process of starting all over again, from scratch. I might make an attempt to reinstall Mojave on top of itself first without starting over, but I'm thinking the chances of success are slim, and I'll just end up moving to Catalina instead. It was fun while it lasted, I guess. Ha!

3 hours ago, agrafuese said:

Ah, I just saw your post on alexandred's github. :) I guess that's good progress for now. I hope they continue to work on it.

On an unrelated note, Mojave became corrupt and stopped booting yesterday. This happened after a really unsuccessful attempt to apply whatever the last security update was (back in February, I think?). I didn't even realize it was available, and I stupidly updated to it last week. I started seeing the nx_corruption messages sprout up in the boot console, and then it all went downhill from there. Now I'm in the process of starting all over again, from scratch. I might make an attempt to reinstall Mojave on top of itself first without starting over, but I'm thinking the chances of success are slim, and I'll just end up moving to Catalina instead. It was fun while it lasted, I guess. Ha!

Good luck with it, hope it works without much pain :).

I wish I could tell you that Catalina is better, but the truth is, in my case, I just get bored easily and keep moving forward and upgrading to new versions. I don't regret it though, it's serving me well.

What I really miss on hackintosh laptops is the lack of support for nvidia, or in this case, for optimus as well. It makes a huge difference in performance, since I use lightroom a lot and even web browsers can get a better performance from GPU nowadays.

I realised that in Catalina, removing support for GPU in most of softwares (if you have this option), increases the software performance and make the laptop's fan runs quieter.

Video editing on heavyweight software like Final Cut or Premiere is pretty much a no go for me now, the fans get too loud and the machine just reboot sometimes, plus the performance is terrible. I can still have Windows on it and get the GPU benefits, but I just prefer the MacOS experience.

I would like to get some information about Catalina. Im still on 10.14.6 with the latest security update (FireVault is enabled) and I have 3 annoying issues:

• battery indicator is garbage regardless of the condition of my battery. Windows displays it properly, but macOS often show 0% or drops the charging level down suddenly, even I can use the laptop for 30-40mins longer > not reliable
  • sleeping drains the battery a lot
  • after sleep my hama usb-c adapter wont work. I use it bc of the Ethernet adapter

I've never ever achieved to install a stable Catalina build to my XPS (maybe wrong EFI folder even I used the proper repo) but may I give it a try again in order to fix these problems I mentioned above? Are they fixed in Catalina?

Thank You for your help!

On 4/12/2020 at 4:22 AM, Mr.C said:

I would like to get some information about Catalina. Im still on 10.14.6 with the latest security update (FireVault is enabled) and I have 3 annoying issues:

• battery indicator is garbage regardless of the condition of my battery. Windows displays it properly, but macOS often show 0% or drops the charging level down suddenly, even I can use the laptop for 30-40mins longer > not reliable
  • sleeping drains the battery a lot
  • after sleep my hama usb-c adapter wont work. I use it bc of the Ethernet adapter

I've never ever achieved to install a stable Catalina build to my XPS (maybe wrong EFI folder even I used the proper repo) but may I give it a try again in order to fix these problems I mentioned above? Are they fixed in Catalina?

Thank You for your help!

I haven't noticed any issue with the battery indicator. The battery doesn't last longer anymore, but I can still get the right info about it and it still reminds me when the level is critical (which takes 1 and 1/2 hour or a couple of hours depending on what I'm doing, not much).

Sorry I can't help with the sleep issue, I usually don't use sleep because of some settings I have for my external monitor. I left it sleeping overnight a couple of days ago though, and I didn't notice anything odd, but it dropped 10% or so, which I think is probably too much. But it's better to get a feedback from someone else for this.

EDIT: I did a test last night and from 11pm to 6:30am it used about 3% of battery when sleeping (the battery went from 4% to 1%).

Edited by golimpio
  • Thanks 1

@golimpio @Mr.C Have either of you installed Catalina from fresh? Or did both of you install over your existing installations? I had to completely delete my Mojave install due to corruption, and now I'm having a hell of a time getting my Catalina USB installer with Clover r5017 to boot up. I'm following all of the instructions perfectly as well. For some reason, my BIOS isn't recognizing the drive, and it has never had a problem recognizing previous USB sticks loaded with Clover/Mac installers.

One thing that is a little confusing, here in the guide, it says to enable "Install it in the ESP" on the Clover installer, but when you read the description of that feature in the installer it says to make sure the drive is formatted FAT32 in order to enable the feature. However, this guide makes no mention of doing so, before this step. Currently, the USB stick is formatted pretty standard with a GUID table and HFS partitions. I'm attaching a screenshot of what it looks like in "diskutil list". Is this correct? I followed the formatting command in the guide perfectly, so if a FAT partition or MBR table is required, this guide does not mention it.

Screenshot 2020-04-13 10.28.33.png

7 hours ago, agrafuese said:

@golimpio @Mr.C Have either of you installed Catalina from fresh? Or did both of you install over your existing installations? I had to completely delete my Mojave install due to corruption, and now I'm having a hell of a time getting my Catalina USB installer with Clover r5017 to boot up. I'm following all of the instructions perfectly as well. For some reason, my BIOS isn't recognizing the drive, and it has never had a problem recognizing previous USB sticks loaded with Clover/Mac installers.

One thing that is a little confusing, here in the guide, it says to enable "Install it in the ESP" on the Clover installer, but when you read the description of that feature in the installer it says to make sure the drive is formatted FAT32 in order to enable the feature. However, this guide makes no mention of doing so, before this step. Currently, the USB stick is formatted pretty standard with a GUID table and HFS partitions. I'm attaching a screenshot of what it looks like in "diskutil list". Is this correct? I followed the formatting command in the guide perfectly, so if a FAT partition or MBR table is required, this guide does not mention it.

Screenshot 2020-04-13 10.28.33.png

I've installed over my existing installation, using normal MacOS update.

Lots of frustration while trying to install Catalina on a fresh partition. This guide really needs to be updated - no offense, @wmchris :). I am writing the following in real time as I install Catalina right now, and I hope it will somehow make its way into a new version of the guide. I really want to save other people from going through this same frustration.

ISSUE #1: The USB boot drive instructions are completely inaccurate. In order to boot from BIOS, the entire USB needs to be FAT32 compatible, but also contain an Apple partition within the scheme. I am not sure how to do this manually. The only way I was able to achieve this was by using a Windows-specific "Apple USB boot drive maker", called gibMacOS. I am hesitant to go into detail about this, because it opens up a lot of usage questions (although it is very easy to use in principle). Rather, it would be better if someone with more knowledge than me could contribute a manual method of creating a USB boot drive that looks like the attached screenshot.

ISSUE #2: Clover version. As of this writing (for Catalina 10.5.4), it seems ideal to have Clover version r5107 (or newer) installed onto the USB boot drive. While installing, you will want to make sure the "Install it in the ESP" option is ticked in the install options (and this is now compatible with our USB boot drive, since it will be in FAT32, as the option suggests).

ISSUE #3: In conjunction with Issue #2 above, @Rajveer86 pointed out that Catalina 10.15.4 requires Lilu.kext version 1.4.2 and WhateverGreen.kext version 1.3.7. So, once Clover is done installing on the USB drive, replace the Clover folder with the one from this repo, then replace the Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts inside with the new versions mentioned.

ISSUE #4: As stated in Step 7 of the guide, and a@jwijesundra pointed out, there are memory allocation issues to be aware of. In my opinion, this is too important to be written so late in the guide. As with jwijesundra, this is what helped me (slightly different from guide)...

- Remove OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi from CLOVER/drivers/UEFI (you can place it inside CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/other for safe keeping)

- Take AllocFix.efi & OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi out of CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/other and place them inside CLOVER/drivers/UEFI

- Inside CLOVER/config.plist add slide=0 (or your calculated slide value) under the "Arguments" section (or use CloverConfigurator). A slide value is absolutely required now!

EDIT(2.0): Post-install, I've decided to test reverting back to OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFixDrv-64.ef, and it seems to be fine so far.

ISSUE #5 (not really an issue at all, just a note): I'm not sure if this is common, but when Catalina finished installing, it threw an error, saying "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk". This did not cause any problems in the actual install, however, as far as I could tell. All it seems to mean is that Catalina Installer was unable to tell the system that it wants Catalina to be the startup disk after it reboots. This is because it doesn't know how to talk to a hackintosh :) Manually rebooting and starting up seemed to work just fine, and I was able to get into Catalina without issues. EDIT(1.1): Possibly related, there is an extra boot entry in Clover called "Boot macOS Install from macOS - Data". I am not sure if this is something leftover from the Catalina Installer or something new to all Catalina systems. I am looking into it. EDIT (4.0) - I have found the boot.efi file that was triggering the extra boot option in Clover, and I was able to disable it. I have detailed instructions on how to do that (in this post).

ISSUE #6: This may be due to the trackpad related kexts in the current repository, but Force Click/haptic feedback is garbage. When you click the trackpad normally, it thinks you are doing a long press, and therefore clicks do not register properly. Disabling Force Click in the trackpad settings fixed this. EDIT (1.1): Installing VoodooI2C 2.4 seems to have fixed this, so if Force Click is turned on (default on new installs), it will just be ignored (our touchpads don't support it, so this is the desirable effect).

ISSUE #7: Touchscreen functionality seems to be gone now. Still working on this one. I am thinking a kext replacement should fix this? Not a deal breaker, as long as everything else works fine. EDIT(1.1): Touchscreen worked suddenly after I booted up again this morning. I am not sure why it didn't work at first, possibly needed some time to register within the kexts, maybe similar to how the touchpad does with certain kexts?

ISSUE #8: Capslock light does not stay lit when enabled, because the version of VoodooPS2Controller in the repo is quite old now, and this issue has since been addressed, as discussed in our earlier posts here. EDIT(1.1): See below.

An interesting note: As of 8 days ago, VoodooPS2Controller now includes VoodooInput as an internal plugin. I am curious to see what happens when it combines with VoodooI2C/VoodooI2CHID. More on this later. EDIT(1.1): I have tested the newest VoodooPS2Controller from acidanthera, and it fixes the capslock light (as did previous versions), but the new inclusion of VoodooInput as an internal plugin is not enough to enable the touchpad when removing VoodooI2C/VoodooI2CHID. Those kexts still seem to be required. I will test further and possibly remove the plugin to avoid conflicts with the I2C kexts (from previous experience VoodooInput is subpar anyway, even when it does work). EDIT(1.2): VoodooI2C 2.4 package currently working successfully, as previously mentioned by @golimpio. Note: I realize double-tap-to-drag is unreliable on this version, but I do not use tap-to-click, so this is not disadvantageous for me, personally. Note 2: I have not removed VoodooInput plugin from inside VoodooPS2Controller, so currently it is working alongside the I2C package. We will find out in time if this configuration is successful or not. :) So far so good!

EDIT(2.0) - 

I was having trouble with the trackpad not loading with about 50% of reboots. I am currently investigating the cause. It seems to be memory related, judging by an error I am seeing in -v.

EDIT(5.0) - 

I have hidden the following section because the Sleep/Wake issues I originally reported have been resolved. For some reason, it seems that some power management plist files were corrupted or had insufficient permissions. I deleted them and rebooted, which allowed them to be rebuilt by the system, and now I have Sleep/Wake working once again, on both AC and batter power. For anyone with the same issue, the two files in question were:

- /Library/Preferences/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

- /Library/Preferences/com.apple.PowerManagement.Bunch-Of-Random-Numbers-And-Letters.plist

Spoiler

THE FOLLOWING ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED:

I am having trouble with sleep/wake in two different configurations. The first configuration uses the newest available versions of all kexts in this repo. With it, I was having trouble with sleep/wake on battery only (kernel panic at the EFI level, not kext-related as far as I understand). The second configuration uses @golimpio's Clover folder from February, except using the newest Lilu (1.4.3) and WhateverGreen (1.3.8). With it, I have trouble with sleep/wake on both battery and AC power. I am guessing this is related to those kexts, if golimpio isn't having issues.

EDIT(3.0) - 

In order to help me investigate the sleep/wake issues, @golimpio has kindly shared his Clover install with me (in this post ahead). Previously, I had been using Clover r5112 (newest as of this writing). His Clover version is r5109. However, I was not able to download that version due to the source no longer being available, so I had to use r5108 instead. Sleep/wake seems to be a bit more stable now, although there does seem to be a random issue where it will wake to a black screen, and a manual shutdown is the only way out of it. Aside from the Clover version, the following files were different from my setup:

CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-ALC298.aml - existed in my install, but not golimpio's.

CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-PCI0.aml existed in golimpio's install, but not mine.

CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-UIAC.aml existed in golimpio's install, but not mine.

CLOVER/kexts/Other/Brcm*.kext (all three files) are newer versions in golimpio's.

CLOVER/kexts/Other/FakePCIID.kext had different bytes, but appears to be the same version? Originally from repo?

CLOVER/kexts/Other/USBPorts.kext had different bytes, but appears to be the same version? Originally from repo?

The following had different bytes, possibly because of different Clover versions, as they are generally bundled with the Clover installer:

CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/FSInject.efi

CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/DataHubDxe.efi

CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/ApfsDriverLoader.efi

CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/AudioDxe.efi

CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/AptioInputFix.efi

CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/AptioMemoryFix.efi

CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/VirtualSmc.efi

CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/CsmVideoDxe.efi - existed in my install, but not golimpio's. I am most suspicious about this one being the culprit that was causing sleep/wake crashes.

Less important, I also had several filesystem drivers in CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/ that were not in golimpio's install. Possibly installed by Clover installer at some point.

Comparing my config.plist with golimpio's: 

- There was a slight difference in the way that ig-platform-id was being set, but the setting itself was the same. (AAAbGQ / 191b0000)

- A "High Current" setting was turned on under USB settings (does this mean USB3 is finally working???? I shall test!).

- Different data in RtVariables -> ROM (I know this setting relates to LAN/MAC Address, but I don't know why it was different in our configs).

- Everything else other than personal preference settings was identical.

Final thought: Besides CsmVideoDxe.efi mentioned, I am not sure which of the differences mentioned here would have the most impact on sleep/wake functionality. If anyone has any other ideas, I welcome their perspective.

EDIT(3.1) -

A small note about the trackpad issues. I finally got VoodooPS2Controller+integrated VoodooInput (v2.1.3) to work, but in my experience it does not perform well. The mouse pointer jumps all over the screen when more than one finger/thumb is touching the trackpad at once, and the scroll speed is slow. Unfortunately, I am forced to use the VoodooI2C kexts that are hit or miss on loading - I still suspect this is due to memory allocation issues. I may try to load them in /L/E instead of Clover injection. EDIT (3.2): In an attempt to stabilize VoodooI2C, I have removed the VoodooInput and VoodooTrackpad internal plugins from inside VoodooPS2Controller. This was something I did back in Mojave as well, so I am thinking it should be successful in Catalina now. So far, the trackpad is still functioning on just the VoodooI2C kexts, but it will be a matter of time until I know how consistently it loads. I am guessing it will still not load 100% of the time, unfortunately.

EDIT(3.2) -

After some investigating, I believe that we are loading these drivers in CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/ that are not necessary anymore:

- AppleImageLoader.efi

- AppleUiSupport.efi

From what I have gathered, these have been phased out from acidanthera's AppleSupportPkg, and have been reassigned only for OpenCore builds (I am not 100% sure on this, but pretty sure). I have removed them, and everything seems to be running fine so far. It's a difficult thing to test for, however, because I'm not even sure what their original intended purpose was.

Also, as stated in the Clover Installer when selecting drivers, we shouldn't have AptioMemoryFix.efi and OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi loading together. It says that we should choose one or the other. So, I have kept OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi and removed AptioMemoryFix.efi. So far, everything is loading fine.

EDIT (4.0) -

So far with everything mentioned above, my system is running very well. The only issue has been the trackpad randomly loading or not loading with each reboot.

Possibly another random issue, but I noticed that Airplay wasn't working with my iPhone (and visa versa) despite having BT4LEContinuityFixup.kext loaded. So, I removed the kext, and now Airplay is working as expected. I will be keeping an eye on any negative effects coming from the removal, but I don't think the kext is needed anymore, and may possibly be outdated anyway.

Also, some file path issues came up in regards to the ComboJack fix (found in the repo /Post-Install/Additional Steps/Audio/ComboJack/). I have outlined the necessary changes (in this post).

I will continue to amend this post with new findings as they present themselves. I hope this is helpful so far to anyone reading.

History notes:

Original post on April 13.

Edits v1.x on April 14.

Edits v2.x on April 15.

Edits v3.x on April 16.

Edits v4.x on April 17.

Edits v5.x on April 20.

Screenshot 2020-04-14 01.46.10.png

Edited by agrafuese
  • Thanks 1

@golimpio Can you take a look at the bottom of my post above (in Edit 2.0, Issue #2) and let me know if you have any thoughts on that? I am going to try Lilu 1.4.2 instead of 1.4.3 and WhateverGreen 1.3.7 instead of 1.3.8, but I'm not sure if that is the reason behind the sleep/wake crashes. Do you know if you patched anything that might be specific to your system? One of the driver (.efi) files maybe? Or did any of the kexts have you run an injection of some sort? (Also, can you tell me if you have the 4k screen and i7?)

1 hour ago, agrafuese said:

@golimpio Can you take a look at the bottom of my post above (in Edit 2.0, Issue #2) and let me know if you have any thoughts on that? I am going to try Lilu 1.4.2 instead of 1.4.3 and WhateverGreen 1.3.7 instead of 1.3.8, but I'm not sure if that is the reason behind the sleep/wake crashes. Do you know if you patched anything that might be specific to your system? One of the driver (.efi) files maybe? Or did any of the kexts have you run an injection of some sort? (Also, can you tell me if you have the 4k screen and i7?)

So far, I haven't experienced KP after sleeping (Note: I don't use sleep often, since when I have my external monitor plugged in, I have a different setup that doesn't allow me to use sleep). I only have tested it 3 or 4 times with the new VoodooI2C 2.4, both on battery and AC power.

The only issue I noticed after the laptop wakes up from sleep is the known (and eventual) screen flicker problem but it's not constant and it doesn't bug me much.

I still have a different setup from the original repository, because of some changes I did to try to address the VoodooI2C 2.3 KP (from xxxzc github repository), but it didn't work well as you have pointed out before.

Currently I'm no longer using VoodooI2C, just VoodooPS2Controller.kext (Note: I have touch screen disabled in BIOS, I don't use it). As you also pointed out, VoodooInput is now bundled in VoodooPS2. There was nothing wrong with the latest VoodooI2C in my laptop, but the double click to drag. I really like the double click to drag functionality, so I decided to remove VoodooI2C for now and give it a try.

Note: Scrolling without VoodooI2C is terrible and slow, I've changed it to be a bit faster on System Settings > Accessibility, but it's not the same as with VoodooI2C, so I may bring it back soon, it's a shame that we have to choose between click to drag and better scrolling when we could have both, anyway, I don't have the knowledge for helping fix this, so I'm just glad that I have options for now and it's free.

I'm using the last version for all the kexts I have installed. Probably some different versions of drivers, I'll attach my Clover folder, so you can check it.

P.S. I'm on Clover 5109

CLOVER.zip

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much, @golimpio. I really appreciate this! I have tested with your Clover and only changing personal preferences and IDs in config.plist. I have documented the experience in Edits 3.0 and 3.1 at the bottom of my original post if you are interested in reading the details. As I mentioned there, the only problem I had was that Clover r5109 is no longer available. I think some files were (accidentally?) pulled from the CloverHackyColor github, and it isn't available through Clover Configurator either. So, I had to use r5108. I am going to try r5110 now as well, and then move on to newer versions. Actually, I was using r5112 before you sent me your clover files, so if I can figure out where else my sleep/wake issues were coming from (I think I do have an idea now), I may go back to r5112 assuming it isn't causing any additional problems. Thanks again!

EDIT: I upgraded to r5112 again, and it is running fine so far.

Edited by agrafuese
  • Like 1