[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2019 at 11:50 PM, wmchris said:

then please take a deeper look into it. merge it line by line till it's not booting anymore.

Hi,

I've done some deeper testing and here's what I tried and what I found.

I've used the clover included in your repository in the Additional folder (v4972)

As I said before if I just install clover and boot from the usb drive the Catalina installer is correctly listed as one of the boot options.

I've then tried switching every field in the stock clover.plist with the one provided and I've found that the thing that makes the boot option disappear from clover is the "DisableDriver" field.

In the stock config file is present a "#DisableDriver" field that seems to have no impact in the showing of the installer but if I add the "DisableDriver" field from the provided config the installer fails to show.

Another thing that I noticed is that the folder configuration in the provided CLOVER folder is different to the one that I find after installing clover in my boot drive.

Namely in your repository there is only 1 "drivers" folder, while in the stock one I find a "driver64" folder and a "driverUEFI64" folder.

I don't know if this is the reason for my next problem.

If I try to boot with the working config file (everything from yours minus the "DisableDrivers" field) I can successfully reach the installer but before I can do anything meaningful it crashes and my pc reboots (I only managed to select the language and reach the utility window).

Tell me if I can give more infos,

Thank you for your help.

PS. I tried reading about the options in the clover config file. Can you clarify the meaning of the "#"? I don't think is a comment but maybe I'm wrong

Successfully installed latest security patch for mojave 10.14.6 (18G2022) with Clover_v2.5k_r5099 and updated kexts:

AirportBrcmFixup(2.0.4)
AppleALC(1.4.4)
BrcmPatchRam(2.5.0)
CodecCommander(2.7.1)
CPUFriend(1.1.9)
FakePCIID(1.3.15)
Lilu(1.4.0)
NoTouchID(1.0.3)
NullEthernet(1.0.6)
VirtualSMC(1.0.9)

VoodooI2C(2.3)

VoodooPS2(2.1.0)
WhateverGreen(1.3.5)

One thing to mention, sorry if it is a dump question but every Whatevergreen update comes with a SSDT-PNLF.dsl... Does it mean that I sould recompile my DSDT? Or I can leave it as it is.

Thank You!

Edited by Mr.C

@wmchris I hate to bring up the voodoops2 keyboard issue again, but I've failed in my attempts to add a proper slide value into the boot args and prevent the random "allocate" error (I can elaborate if you want, but that's not my main reason for writing this).

Since I didn't have any success with the slide value, I can't be sure whether the allocate error and the keyboard issues are related at all (it was a long shot anyway). If you recall, the latest 10.14 voodoops2 was giving me random KPs, and the previous version only works for my keyboard about 50% of the time. It's driving me insane, because I boot back and forth from Windows to Mac about twice a day. 

I'm really sorry to ask, but is there truly no way of finding a happy medium for my particular case? I know I'm an outlier here, but the newest version of voodoops2 would be perfect if it wasn't for the KPs. Is there any way to merge that version's strengths with the old version's strengths and come up with something that both doesn't KP and also loads the keyboard more reliably? Or, at the very least, does any of this signal any clues as to why I'm presumably the only one with the KP issue on the new version? There's nothing "weird" about my system configuration that I can think of. It's pretty straight forward as far as I can tell, so I have no idea why any of this is happening. Happy to post more details about my setup if it helps. Thanks for reading!

On 12/19/2019 at 6:29 AM, agrafuese said:

@wmchris I hate to bring up the voodoops2 keyboard issue again, but I've failed in my attempts to add a proper slide value into the boot args and prevent the random "allocate" error (I can elaborate if you want, but that's not my main reason for writing this).

Since I didn't have any success with the slide value, I can't be sure whether the allocate error and the keyboard issues are related at all (it was a long shot anyway). If you recall, the latest 10.14 voodoops2 was giving me random KPs, and the previous version only works for my keyboard about 50% of the time. It's driving me insane, because I boot back and forth from Windows to Mac about twice a day. 

I'm really sorry to ask, but is there truly no way of finding a happy medium for my particular case? I know I'm an outlier here, but the newest version of voodoops2 would be perfect if it wasn't for the KPs. Is there any way to merge that version's strengths with the old version's strengths and come up with something that both doesn't KP and also loads the keyboard more reliably? Or, at the very least, does any of this signal any clues as to why I'm presumably the only one with the KP issue on the new version? There's nothing "weird" about my system configuration that I can think of. It's pretty straight forward as far as I can tell, so I have no idea why any of this is happening. Happy to post more details about my setup if it helps. Thanks for reading!

I also have failed to add a proper slide value, even after upgrading to 10.15. I just assumed that it was something I've done wrong (which in my case, it's probably correct), but so far I haven't experienced any KP issue related to the voodoops2. I have a slightly different kext and drivers setup now, but I usually try the ones from the repository first, so I can help test them.

14 hours ago, golimpio said:

I also have failed to add a proper slide value, even after upgrading to 10.15. I just assumed that it was something I've done wrong (which in my case, it's probably correct), but so far I haven't experienced any KP issue related to the voodoops2. I have a slightly different kext and drivers setup now, but I usually try the ones from the repository first, so I can help test them.

Yeah, I also assume the slide value failure is my fault, haha. The instructions are well written but I'm clueless when it comes to picking out the right number in the table. I have no idea which of those is not too small, but not too big, the right type, etc... there's just way too many options. I picked one that seemed logically correct, and it did not work... I guess I could just keep changing the number +/- 1 until I stumble on the right thing, but it's just not worth the hassle when I only get the allocate error in very rare instances.

Anyway, when you say you're using slightly different kexts than the repo, is that specific to something in your setup, or do you think those are better kexts for stability overall? The repo is awesome, don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to find something that won't give me the KPs and/or also loads the keyboard more than 50% of the time... I'll even take a solid 80% of the time at this point, lol! It's literally the only thing bothering me about the hackintosh side of my system right now.

On 12/22/2019 at 4:20 AM, agrafuese said:

Yeah, I also assume the slide value failure is my fault, haha. The instructions are well written but I'm clueless when it comes to picking out the right number in the table. I have no idea which of those is not too small, but not too big, the right type, etc... there's just way too many options. I picked one that seemed logically correct, and it did not work... I guess I could just keep changing the number +/- 1 until I stumble on the right thing, but it's just not worth the hassle when I only get the allocate error in very rare instances.

Anyway, when you say you're using slightly different kexts than the repo, is that specific to something in your setup, or do you think those are better kexts for stability overall? The repo is awesome, don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to find something that won't give me the KPs and/or also loads the keyboard more than 50% of the time... I'll even take a solid 80% of the time at this point, lol! It's literally the only thing bothering me about the hackintosh side of my system right now.

I try to keep the kexts updated, but there is no particular reason for doing it other than testing. For example, I don't use touch screen, so I don't have VoodooI2C.kext and VoodooI2CHID.kext, instead I have the latest VoodooInput.kext (I still have VoodooPS2Controller.kext installed). I don't know if this can help you with the KP/keyboard issues, but it might be worth a try (in my case, there is no visible difference).

I've attached my clover here, just in case it can be helpful somehow. Drivers are a bit different, but the main reason is because of the slide value.

My config.plist is also slightly different because I need support for an external 4K monitor (connected to a displayport) and the only way I've found to have it scaled nicely to 2560x1440 HiDPI (60 Hz) was by changing my display to HD540 instead of HD530. The side effect is that I get a black screen after sleep and I couldn't fix it on 10.14.x and 10.15.x. But for me, proper scaled resolution for my external monitor is more important.

I think my laptop is the same one you have (9550 i7 6700HQ 16GB RAM).

I'm running MacOS 10.15.2 and Clover 5100

1 minute ago, golimpio said:

I try to keep the kexts updated, but there is no particular reason for doing it other than testing. For example, I don't use touch screen, so I don't have VoodooI2C.kext and VoodooI2CHID.kext, instead I have the latest VoodooInput.kext (I still have VoodooPS2Controller.kext installed). I don't know if this can help you with the KP/keyboard issues, but it might be worth a try (in my case, there is no visible difference).

I've attached my clover here, just in case it can be helpful somehow. Drivers are a bit different, but the main reason is because of the slide value.

My config.plist is also slightly different because I need support for an external 4K monitor (connected to a displayport) and the only way I've found to have it scaled nicely to 2560x1440 HiDPI (60 Hz) was by changing my display to HD540 instead of HD530. The side effect is that I get a black screen after sleep and I couldn't fix it on 10.14.x and 10.15.x. But for me, proper scaled resolution for my external monitor is more important.

I think my laptop is the same one you have (9550 i7 6700HQ 16GB RAM).

I'm running MacOS 10.15.2 and Clover 5100

Sorry, I forgot to attach the file...

CLOVER.zip

Thanks for sharing, @golimpio ! By any chance, do you have SD Card turned off in your bios? I know about the battery life benefits of turning it off, but I had it on until recently because I wanted to still have functionality in Windows. But about 3 nights ago, I decided to experiment by turning it off, and so far I have been able to boot into Mac with the keyboard functioning 100% of the time. So either that's just a very successful game of chance, or turning it off actually somehow had an effect on the keyboard working.

To anyone else reading this, if your keyboard works 100% of the time, do you have SD Card turned off in bios?

13 hours ago, agrafuese said:

Thanks for sharing, @golimpio ! By any chance, do you have SD Card turned off in your bios? I know about the battery life benefits of turning it off, but I had it on until recently because I wanted to still have functionality in Windows. But about 3 nights ago, I decided to experiment by turning it off, and so far I have been able to boot into Mac with the keyboard functioning 100% of the time. So either that's just a very successful game of chance, or turning it off actually somehow had an effect on the keyboard working.

To anyone else reading this, if your keyboard works 100% of the time, do you have SD Card turned off in bios?

Yes, it's turned off in bios. (I think it's turned off since 10.13).

Just an update to say that I'm still at 100% success with keyboard working on startup after disabling SD card. If I continue to have success, it may be worth noting this as an additional reason to disable SD card in the installation guide for those like me that did not initially mind the battery life warning. I suspect most users are disabling it anyway, but some of us with dual-boot setups (like myself) may not at first. I will report back with another update about this next week for anyone else that may be interested.

With this finding, I will also test the newer version of voodoops2 again to see if it still gives me KPs.

Edited by agrafuese

On 12/14/2019 at 1:58 PM, sangra4l said:

Hi,

I've done some deeper testing and here's what I tried and what I found.

I've used the clover included in your repository in the Additional folder (v4972)

As I said before if I just install clover and boot from the usb drive the Catalina installer is correctly listed as one of the boot options.

I've then tried switching every field in the stock clover.plist with the one provided and I've found that the thing that makes the boot option disappear from clover is the "DisableDriver" field.

In the stock config file is present a "#DisableDriver" field that seems to have no impact in the showing of the installer but if I add the "DisableDriver" field from the provided config the installer fails to show.

Another thing that I noticed is that the folder configuration in the provided CLOVER folder is different to the one that I find after installing clover in my boot drive.

Namely in your repository there is only 1 "drivers" folder, while in the stock one I find a "driver64" folder and a "driverUEFI64" folder.

I don't know if this is the reason for my next problem.

If I try to boot with the working config file (everything from yours minus the "DisableDrivers" field) I can successfully reach the installer but before I can do anything meaningful it crashes and my pc reboots (I only managed to select the language and reach the utility window).

Tell me if I can give more infos,

Thank you for your help.

PS. I tried reading about the options in the clover config file. Can you clarify the meaning of the "#"? I don't think is a comment but maybe I'm wrong

Hi sangra4l,

I've been having the same issue as you using the Catalina guide, so for the time being I've used the Mojave guide as its working 100%.

https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/10.14/README.md

The issue you're talking about with the different folder structure between the included EFI and the EFI after running the clover installer included in the Catalina guide is because the installer included is r2.4_4xxx whilst the EFI included is from a r2.5_5xxx install, and the folder structure changed on version 5000. This, however, is not the root of the issue, as even if you completely delete the installed EFI and replace it with the repo EFI, the Install Catalina boot option still doesnt come up.

I can also verify that the Install Catalina download that I downloaded from the settings is the full 8.1GB app/pkg, not a stub   install file if that is what @wmchris is referring to when he said that the full Catalina image had to be downloaded.

Another person with the same issue was posted on GitHub on the 18th November, https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/issues/126, however their suggested method, whilst it allowed me to boot into clover and see the Catalina install, crashed before it booted into the recovery.

I've read online of some people having success updating directly from the App Store install, however they said that they installed it onto a separate AFPS volume and copied over their existing files using the migration tool. They gave no details about their Clover EFI, however, although I assume they manually updated their drivers and kext.

On 12/16/2019 at 11:31 AM, Mr.C said:

Successfully installed latest security patch for mojave 10.14.6 (18G2022) with Clover_v2.5k_r5099 and updated kexts:

AirportBrcmFixup(2.0.4)
AppleALC(1.4.4)
BrcmPatchRam(2.5.0)
CodecCommander(2.7.1)
CPUFriend(1.1.9)
FakePCIID(1.3.15)
Lilu(1.4.0)
NoTouchID(1.0.3)
NullEthernet(1.0.6)
VirtualSMC(1.0.9)

VoodooI2C(2.3)

VoodooPS2(2.1.0)
WhateverGreen(1.3.5)

One thing to mention, sorry if it is a dump question but every Whatevergreen update comes with a SSDT-PNLF.dsl... Does it mean that I sould recompile my DSDT? Or I can leave it as it is.

Thank You!

Could you share your EFI folder please?

I tried updating my own clover to r5101 but every time I boot with it I get a memory slide error, and have to revert back to the EFI folder supplied with the 10.14 tutorial.

On 12/26/2019 at 6:05 PM, agrafuese said:

Just an update to say that I'm still at 100% success with keyboard working on startup after disabling SD card. If I continue to have success, it may be worth noting this as an additional reason to disable SD card in the installation guide for those like me that did not initially mind the battery life warning. I suspect most users are disabling it anyway, but some of us with dual-boot setups (like myself) may not at first. I will report back with another update about this next week for anyone else that may be interested.

With this finding, I will also test the newer version of voodoops2 again to see if it still gives me KPs.

Just want to mention that I also have a dual-boot setup with SD card enabled and also experience keyboard not always working on boot, but it's not too often so I haven't bothered looking in to it. I'll try to see how often I can reproduce it and then will also test with SD card disabled and will report back.

9 hours ago, Mr.C said:

calculate your slide value properly. There is a description how to do it

I've tried calculating my slide, however I then get a Error loading kernel cache as when the kernel tries to load its cache it also gets a similar page allocation failure. I've tried all the different memory efi files bar the efi2000, as it is referenced but not included within the repository for 10.15

@Rajveer86 Thanks for chiming in, looking forward to hearing back. I think this is a really important note for the guide. My reboots are still 100% perfect as of this writing, so I'm going to do a little testing with the newest voodoops2 that was previously giving me KPs, and see if I still get them now that I've disabled SD card. 

16 hours ago, agrafuese said:

@Rajveer86 Thanks for chiming in, looking forward to hearing back. I think this is a really important note for the guide. My reboots are still 100% perfect as of this writing, so I'm going to do a little testing with the newest voodoops2 that was previously giving me KPs, and see if I still get them now that I've disabled SD card. 

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc (Correlation does not imply causation). i never had these KPs and therefore i will not write it in the tutorial unless it is a proven fact.

Disabling the SD Card reader is written in the tutorial, so if you follow it and the SD card reader really is the culprit, then everything is fine. But i have doubts.

Edited by wmchris

On 12/29/2019 at 12:38 PM, wmchris said:

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc (Correlation does not imply causation). i never had these KPs and therefore i will not write it in the tutorial unless it is a proven fact.

Disabling the SD Card reader is written in the tutorial, so if you follow it and the SD card reader really is the culprit, then everything is fine. But i have doubts.

I completely understand your skepticism. If there's any other way to make it proven fact, I'm happy to take all reasonable steps to do so, short of a complete system re-install or 24-hour surveillance of my life ;)

I also just found this random Reddit post about it from 7 months ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/bo82ug/sd_card_reader_disables_my_keyboard_xps_9550/?ref=readnext

The only reason I suggested writing this possibility into the guide is because the guide only mentions disabling SD card for battery saving reasons, which is a suggestion that could be ignored if people don't care about saving battery or want SD card in Windows - but if they do want a possible solution for their keyboard not working/KPs happening, then it might be something for them to at least try. I don't know why my keyboard issues were so frequent before compared to others here, but clearly not all 9550s are made the same. So, in my case, the hint would have saved me a lot of headaches and reboots.

For now, I will say that if the SD card was not the reason for the keyboard not working (older kext) and it was not the reason for the KPs (newest kext), then I cannot imagine what would be. No software has been installed, no hardware has been modified, no software updates have been installed in while (I have auto turned off). I use macOS for web browsing and Adobe apps, and I use Windows for gaming, so this isn't any kind of dev machine where drivers and firmware are constantly being altered or anything. In other words, disabling the SD card is literally the only thing that has changed, aside from whatever normal things happen behind the scenes of macOS on a daily basis.

Either way, I'm just happy that I'm not experiencing the troubles anymore. Just hoping to help others, because it's a fantastic laptop for hackintosh! Much respect for the work you've done, @wmchris !

EDIT: Newest kext still giving me KPs. I have no choice but to revert back to the old kext, which still remains 100% fine.

EDIT #2: I didn't realize that Github had a issue reporting feature, so I've submitted the KP issue with the newest kext. I know that you've stated that I am a rare case, but I want this issue on record for others to see. It's unfortunate that this kext performs better than the older kext (for the ` key fix) but the KPs force me to stop using it.

Edited by agrafuese

On 12/26/2019 at 10:18 PM, YanYangC said:

Hi sangra4l,

I've been having the same issue as you using the Catalina guide, so for the time being I've used the Mojave guide as its working 100%.

https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/10.14/README.md

The issue you're talking about with the different folder structure between the included EFI and the EFI after running the clover installer included in the Catalina guide is because the installer included is r2.4_4xxx whilst the EFI included is from a r2.5_5xxx install, and the folder structure changed on version 5000. This, however, is not the root of the issue, as even if you completely delete the installed EFI and replace it with the repo EFI, the Install Catalina boot option still doesnt come up.

I can also verify that the Install Catalina download that I downloaded from the settings is the full 8.1GB app/pkg, not a stub   install file if that is what @wmchris is referring to when he said that the full Catalina image had to be downloaded.

Another person with the same issue was posted on GitHub on the 18th November, https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/issues/126, however their suggested method, whilst it allowed me to boot into clover and see the Catalina install, crashed before it booted into the recovery.

I've read online of some people having success updating directly from the App Store install, however they said that they installed it onto a separate AFPS volume and copied over their existing files using the migration tool. They gave no details about their Clover EFI, however, although I assume they manually updated their drivers and kext.

Hi,

thank you for your clarification.

I tried following the guide for Mojave and everything went fine as you said it would. I'm already thankful because I needed a macos version to work with the latest versions of Xcode and 10.14.6 already meets my requirements.

It would be nice of course to have Catalina on my pc as I was intrigued by the sidecar feature.

I've seen that @wmchris has reopened my issue on gitlab. As I stated before in my case changing only the config.plist and kext didn't work, I couldn't see the installer.

I can see it until I change the DisableDrivers field in the stock config.plist, but even If I boot inside the installer, it crashes shortly after I see the recovery menu.

I'll be following both the GitHub issue and this thread and I more than happy to test something else to resolve this problem.

On 12/31/2019 at 4:38 AM, agrafuese said:

I completely understand your skepticism. If there's any other way to make it proven fact, I'm happy to take all reasonable steps to do so, short of a complete system re-install or 24-hour surveillance of my life ;)

I also just found this random Reddit post about it from 7 months ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/bo82ug/sd_card_reader_disables_my_keyboard_xps_9550/?ref=readnext

The only reason I suggested writing this possibility into the guide is because the guide only mentions disabling SD card for battery saving reasons, which is a suggestion that could be ignored if people don't care about saving battery or want SD card in Windows - but if they do want a possible solution for their keyboard not working/KPs happening, then it might be something for them to at least try. I don't know why my keyboard issues were so frequent before compared to others here, but clearly not all 9550s are made the same. So, in my case, the hint would have saved me a lot of headaches and reboots.

For now, I will say that if the SD card was not the reason for the keyboard not working (older kext) and it was not the reason for the KPs (newest kext), then I cannot imagine what would be. No software has been installed, no hardware has been modified, no software updates have been installed in while (I have auto turned off). I use macOS for web browsing and Adobe apps, and I use Windows for gaming, so this isn't any kind of dev machine where drivers and firmware are constantly being altered or anything. In other words, disabling the SD card is literally the only thing that has changed, aside from whatever normal things happen behind the scenes of macOS on a daily basis.

Either way, I'm just happy that I'm not experiencing the troubles anymore. Just hoping to help others, because it's a fantastic laptop for hackintosh! Much respect for the work you've done, @wmchris !

EDIT: Newest kext still giving me KPs. I have no choice but to revert back to the old kext, which still remains 100% fine.

EDIT #2: I didn't realize that Github had a issue reporting feature, so I've submitted the KP issue with the newest kext. I know that you've stated that I am a rare case, but I want this issue on record for others to see. It's unfortunate that this kext performs better than the older kext (for the ` key fix) but the KPs force me to stop using it.

Have you tried to fix the ` key issue by creating a script to remap the key?
E.g.:

#!/bin/bash
hidutil property --set '{"UserKeyMapping":[{"HIDKeyboardModifierMappingSrc":0x700000064,"HIDKeyboardModifierMappingDst":0x700000035}]}'

It's not ideal, but it helped me when I had this issue - and I was too lazy to look for a proper fix :)

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, golimpio said:

It's working with 10.15.2 as well.

Yesterday Ive tried to clean install Catalina (10.15.2) with no success, the problem was with clover i think (weirdly the keyboard did not work properly and the allocation runtime area error occured randomly). Have to dig into the details to specify what was the main source of the problem but thanks to your feedbach the bios is not.

20 hours ago, Mr.C said:

Yesterday Ive tried to clean install Catalina (10.15.2) with no success, the problem was with clover i think (weirdly the keyboard did not work properly and the allocation runtime area error occured randomly). Have to dig into the details to specify what was the main source of the problem but thanks to your feedbach the bios is not.

No problem. I'm testing some new kexts from acidanthera repository: VoodooInputVoodooPS2 (I've removed VoodooI2*). Have you tried those (they might solve your keyboard issue)? There is a small issue though: the trackpad take a few boots to work (5+).

I didn't have allocation issues and I guess it's a side effect of my setup, which is a bit of a mess right now, since I didn't figure it out the correct slide number for it, so basically I'm relying on AllocFix.efi and I have "slide=0" on clover arguments, but I'm not sure if it's necessary, I just haven't cleaned up my config.plist for a while and I might have some stuff there that's not needed. 

Dear colleagues of XPS15 9550 hacking,

I had a working 9550 (32 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 970 Evo, Mojave 10.14.6) thanks to @wmchris. Then I thought I will update to 10.15, updated clover to 2.5 v. 5103, replaced my old EFI Clover folder with the new from wmchris's repository. That resulted in a multiple kernel panics (either the slide error problem or the kernelcache 0x09 issue) but the first 3 or 4 times, I could boot without any issues and it worked fine.

So, I restored my backup of the EFI folder, still the same problems were still around.

I played around for two weeks now (reinstalled 10.14 then upgrade to 10.15, direct install of 10.15...) sadly the errors persists. I could generate an error report, that I attached to my post.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Tika

debug_16979.zip