P5W DH Deluxe Wifi Driver?

69 posts in this topic

One of my friends installed the PPC drivers and now his P5W-DH hacintosh will not boot.

Does anyone know how to uninstall these drivers rather than reinstall the OS?

Your friend will need to delete the following:

/System/Extensions/Library/rtl8187.kext

/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Does your friend have a way to make changes to the disk that macosx is on? Can he (or she) mount this disk on another system so that he can delete the files?

If he can, he can try something like the following:

sudo rm -rf /System/Extensions/Library/rtl8187.kext

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

That will uninstall the driver.

I suspect that they can not make changes easily though so other things to try so that they can boot macosx and make the changes:

Try to boot in single user mode. Not sure if this will work but it is worth a try. For instructions on booting in single user, try here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry258900

Once you are in single user mode (non graphical), you can try and delete using the commands above.

If that doesn't work, let us know and I will try and work out how to fix it by booting from the macosx boot dvd. He should not have to reinstall the os.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
thanks a lot i will try it!

It doesn't work and for you?

doesn't work for me either

I've maild them too and they expect to fininsh the RTL8187 driver for intel OS X at end of November.

What?? It's now middle of March, 2007 !!!!

I just noticed they released a new driver for 8185, so maybe ours is coming

The RTL 8185 driver doesn't work. I have just emailed them to find out why. I have tried everything to get 8185 working with my Laptop but no sucess. I have a RTL8185 and an ATI Xpress 200M plus a SigmaTel 9200 (that won't work). Everything else works though. Even both Cores <_< .

Blog

New driver at realtek page. Anyone tested it yet? If it works, I'll reinstall OSX and smile.

I see that it was updated today. I downloaded it and viewed the readme. In it, it says:

version 1.4.3

* Fixed system crash in x86 architecture

makes me think it just might work, though the recent version is 1.4.5.

the driver seems to detect my onboard WIFI card, however the realtek tool to i assume select networks etc is still a PowerPC binary and it wont start.

driver loads tho just fine.

Can't you use OSX to detect networks? I never used realtek utility in windows

no, the driver makes osx think the card is a ethernet card, it doesnt try to make it an airport card.

how frustrating... I haven't looked myself, but I assume there are no applications available that would work, they have to be specific to the adapter? I use a another usb wireless adapter and the software seems pretty generic. might give it a go...

Edited by melchior

so while i can connect with the utility, i cant seem to get an IP address from my DHCP. if i specify one it wont see anything on my network including the router/wifi. i've even tried disabling WEP.