Haswell-E 5820k 5930k installation guide with full speedstep working

stinga11

358 posts in this topic

Ergot, if you are using the method I wrote out, then you are not using AICPUPM, so Null is doing nothing. You can keep it removed. 
If you also unlocked the MSR, then you do not need VoodooTSCSync to wake from sleep (VodooTSCSync has not been necessary to boot since 10.10.3).

Thanks!! I think my MSR is locked because system does not wake up from sleep just restart so i need to use the voodooTSCSync
Is their a patch to unlock MSR or it is MB BIOS related?

freqVectors is not loaded, I used your method for SMBIOS Mac Pro 6,1 using iMac 14,2

I assumed my GB results are low due to ES version of the CPU...

Thanks!! I think my MSR is locked because system does not wake up from sleep just restart so i need to use the voodooTSCSync
Is their a patch to unlock MSR or it is MB BIOS related?
freqVectors is not loaded, I used your method for SMBIOS Mac Pro 6,1 using iMac 14,2
I assumed my GB results are low due to ES version of the CPU...

Sorry what's the process for smbios macpro 6,1 using iMac 14,2?

I used the frequencyvector script made by pikeralpha for macpro 6.1 but not sure if it worked or not (is there anyways to test it)

Sorry what's the process for smbios macpro 6,1 using iMac 14,2?

I used the frequencyvector script made by pikeralpha for macpro 6.1 but not sure if it worked or not (is there anyways to test it)

there is no process just use SMBIOS for Mac pro and when running freqvector use SMBIOS for iMac 14,2

to check if freqvector is working run sysctl machdep.xcpm in terminal and make sure you see as below:

machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count: 1
  • Like 1

great thanks Ergot

I've tried your method but the frequency vector doesn't load when checking with: sysctl machdep.xcpm

​pretty sure the file is locked, i've tried unlocking via right click info, but i don't think it's working??

Could someone send a copy because i think i've broke the kext now :(

ekwipt, my system also not loading freqvectors...but it doesn't mean that the system in not working well..from my point of view

Thanks Ergot, i can't even get Pikeralpha xclm patches to work, still can't get past the +++++ sign, not sure what's wrong, theres couple of people that have broadwell-e chips working with the patch, but i know it's not properly supported yet, so maybe it just comes down to the motherboard type etc... or even the top of broad well chip itself. unsure at this point

Edit i've got Pikeralpha XCPM patches working, i've read that my FAKECPUID should actually be 

sysctl machdep.xcpm

still gives me: machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count: 0

So same as you, not sure what is happening.

An interesting not that when i ran ssdtPRGen.sh I now get an warning of

Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0402 instead of 0x0a02)

Warning: 'system-type' may be set improperly (1 instead of 3)

so not sure if its wrong or the script is wrong, but i will test and try again and also write to P.A. on his blog

Hi, I have a Broadway EP cpu and is working with this fakecpuid 0x040674

See in Pike blog for infos

then it is mandatory for me to have 5960x brumbaer patch and a kernel patch that suggest maleorderbride search for reboot fix

in clover you can solve those warning in this way

set type to  0x0a02 in clover cpu part (Thanks to Pike and Needy)

and the SmarUPS flagged for system type warning (Thank to TheRaceMaster)

Great thanks Fabiosun that did the trick for the errors   :thumbsup_anim:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

I have the same issue how ergot

" the issue with the kernel patches is sleep...when even i wake the system it auto restart, when using voodoo kext system wake up normally and still Intel power gadget show me nice PM states..., Geekbence results are same with the patch and without the patch, bottom line is that OK to leave the hack with voodoo instead of patches? or there is a patch to fix the auto restart...? "

How to fix it? Or Need I UEFIPatch 0.3.9  ?

Hello all!

I have the same issue how ergot

" the issue with the kernel patches is sleep...when even i wake the system it auto restart, when using voodoo kext system wake up normally and still Intel power gadget show me nice PM states..., Geekbence results are same with the patch and without the patch, bottom line is that OK to leave the hack with voodoo instead of patches? or there is a patch to fix the auto restart...? "

How to fix it? Or Need I UEFIPatch 0.3.9  ?

After testing, patching the BIOS does not help with random restarts.

You can stay with Voodoo if you prefer.

Yes, mine is also fine with Sierra. This is an i7-6850K @ 4.3GHz.

5820K =>25937, 6850K =>27653 :  6850K => +6,60%

5820K => 409€ , 6850K => 690€ : 6850K => +68,7%

a gain of 6.6% in performance for a higher price of 68.7%.

it's expensive 6.6%  :wink_anim:

Thanks, perhaps you can go back and edit your original post with a succinct numbered list of what needs to be done?

i.e.

1. Three patches

xcpm_bootstrap 10.11.6 © Pike R. Alpha
find 83C3BB83FB09 
replace 83C3B883FB09

cpuid_set_info 10.11.6 © Pike R. Alpha
find 5D7F288D48BB83F902
replace 5D7F288D48B883F902

reboot fix 10.11.6 © Pike R. Alpha
find 554889E5415741564155415453504189D64189F74889FB4585FF0F84
replace C34889E5415741564155415453504189D64189F74889FB4585FF0F84

2. FrequencyVectorEdit.sh (on a MacPro6,1 SMBIOS targeting iMac14,2, I assume?) https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/freqVectorsEdit.sh

3. Remove NullCPUPowerManagement & any FakeCPUID.

4. Disable EIST in BIOS (Ai Tweaker, Internal CPU Management, Disable Intel Enhanced Speedstep)

5. Oh, and have Clover 36xx? installed. What is the minimum version? I used 3688: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

6. Have a CPU SSDT from SSDTPRGen: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh    (not strictly necessary so long as you have x86 Platform and Shim loading from some method)

Edit: Ah, found another one.

7. in the BIOS, set Ati Tweaker->CPU Core Ratio to Sync All Cores, then Auto for the snyc'ed value (or if overclocking, set to your value). If you do not do this, then no turbo (when not overclocking) frequencies will be hit. 

With those changes I now get completely flat IPG readouts (!) while benchmarking, but my scores are still low. Multi-core are still 25% lower on Cinebench/GB with this method versus my own earlier method.

Presumably my SSDT needs some love?    No, I needed to do #7. It was pegged at non-turbo states without it.

Edit: After finding #7, I now have the flatest performance in Cinebench/GB with IGP that I have seen to date with Haswell-EP in MacOS. Performance in Cinebench is identical to my previous method, but GB went up by 1800. I was already using a method that did 2-7, but Pike's three patches greatly aid in keeping turbo constant and flat. 

Thanks Pike! Hope those random reboots are gone with this method. Temps seem ~5C cooler as well.

did the steps above and issue (kernel panic)...

can anyone help?

See picture:

6rz9Pu2.jpg

• Like 1

@T1ago, that information is outdated now anyway.

If you are using Haswell-E/P in 10.11.6 then I recommend the one patch method: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/315579-el-capitan-xcpm-for-x99-one-patch-solution/

Also, use MausiEthernet instead of IntelE1000e.

I have yet to find an equally straightforward and robust solution for Broadwell-E/P.

Since they are all a mess of kernel patches that seem likely to break with each OS update, I have fallen back to using FakeCPUID & Null with EIST disabled in the BIOS and C-states Enabled.

If someone has a simple (and reliable through updates) XCPM guide for Broadwell-E/P then it would be great if they would create a thread specifically for Broadwell since what works for one does not work for another (and this thread, is meant for Haswell ;p)

For those of you who PM'ed me about my 10.12 screenshots, that was the above FakeCPUID+Null+AICPUPM method that has worked since 10.9.5 with both Haswell-E/P and now Broadwell-E/P.

• Like 1

Hi

So also with broad well EP you have a good lower steps and Higher steps IPG graphics with fakecpuid and Null?

Yes, but I only have K-series Broadwell-EP's right now, not any Broadwell-E Xeons to test with.

Make certain you have CPU Core Ratio set to Sync All Cores (or an overclock), EIST Disabled, and C-States Enabled while using FakeCPUID+Null AICPUPM method.

Wahou!!! I'm curious

What use for your workstation

Video editing and coloring.

It just has a lot of PCI-e devices. With multiple NVMe drives, two GPUs, a Decklink, a RAID card, and sometimes a RR-X, I really do need at least 36 lanes.

• Like 1

@T1ago, that information is outdated now anyway.

If you are using Haswell-E/P in 10.11.6 then I recommend the one patch method: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/315579-el-capitan-xcpm-for-x99-one-patch-solution/

Also, use MausiEthernet instead of IntelE1000e.

I have yet to find an equally straightforward and robust solution for Broadwell-E/P.

Since they are all a mess of kernel patches that seem likely to break with each OS update, I have fallen back to using FakeCPUID & Null with EIST disabled in the BIOS and C-states Enabled.

If someone has a simple (and reliable through updates) XCPM guide for Broadwell-E/P then it would be great if they would create a thread specifically for Broadwell since what works for one does not work for another (and this thread, is meant for Haswell ;p)

For those of you who PM'ed me about my 10.12 screenshots, that was the above FakeCPUID+Null+AICPUPM method that has worked since 10.9.5 with both Haswell-E/P and now Broadwell-E/P.

I applied the patch but I am low score  :( 

See: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/653574