[HOW TO] Fix second stage boot logo and loading bar for some dedicated desktop video cards

arsradu

391 posts in this topic

The only machine I could use this on is my Z68 because the others all need a DSDT or SSDT so I can just inject AAPL,boot-display with those. And the Z68 is also the only one I can't disable CSM on because of the crappy old BIOS on it.

I tried adding @0,AAPL,boot-display to AddProperties again but it isn't getting injected. It's not a big deal as it works fine the other way (and I don't get a second stage boot logo until the desktop loads anyway). Was just hoping AddProperties would have been an option for this.

I'm injecting it with arbitrary

<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arbitrary</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Intel HD Graphics 4600</string>
				<key>CustomProperties</key>
				<array>
					<dict>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>AAPL,ig-platform-id</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<data>BAASBA==</data>
					</dict>
				</array>
				<key>PciAddr</key>
				<string>00:02.00</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Nvidia Display</string>
				<array>
					<dict>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>@0,AAPL,boot-display</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<data></data>
					</dict>
					<dict>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>@1,connector-type</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<data>AAgAAA==</data>
					</dict>
					<dict>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>hda-gfx</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<string>onboard-2</string>
					</dict>
				</array>
				<key>PciAddr</key>
				<string>01:00.00</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>9-Series IMEI</string>
				<array>
					<dict>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>subsystem-vendor-id</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<data>hoAAAA==</data>
					</dict>
				</array>
				<key>PciAddr</key>
				<string>00:16.00</string>
			</dict>
		</array>

and it's working fine

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Using the Arbitary method here too on gtx1060, its easy and works good :-)

The aapl,boot-display fixed boot with 2 displays for me, thx!

Just one problem, if i boot with 1 display only, i have first stage + secound stage boot animation...

if i boot with 2 displays, i get only first stage and secound stage is just black.

anyone here with dual display and working boot animation ?

doesn't really matter since its just works at all now with 2 displays xD

but would be good to know...

Cheers :-)

• 1 month later...

Using the Arbitary method here too on gtx1060, its easy and works good :-)

The aapl,boot-display fixed boot with 2 displays for me, thx!

Just one problem, if i boot with 1 display only, i have first stage + secound stage boot animation...

if i boot with 2 displays, i get only first stage and secound stage is just black.

anyone here with dual display and working boot animation ?

doesn't really matter since its just works at all now with 2 displays xD

but would be good to know...

Cheers :-)

can you post your device config.plist, please? i have no lucky with my 1070 and i don´t know what´s wrong.

thanks in advances!

Hi guys,

It's good to see this topic is still "en vogue". :)) I've been wondering though...did anyone try FileVault so far? Cause I've got a small issue with it. Well, not directly with it, but with the second stage boot screen when FileVault is enabled. Meaning I pretty much lose the Apple logo for this case. Just the logo. The loading bar is ok. But the logo is gone. :)) I don't mind it that much. But I was wondering if anyone tried FileVault so far (works with Clover, if you have all the correct drivers in /drivers64UEFI) and managed to find a solution to this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Arsradu,

I get this with my boot logo, it runs a half and it flashs a little bit and returns its way after that. You can see my video at here because I can attach bigger 10Mb file.

I also used your method on 1st page but still the same :D

I don't use csmvideodrv and disable CSM in UEFI bios.

Hi Arsradu,

I get this with my boot logo, it runs a half and it flashs a little bit and returns its way after that. You can see my video at here because I can attach bigger 10Mb file.

I also used your method on 1st page but still the same :D

I don't use csmvideodrv and disable CSM in UEFI bios.

You pretty much got a perfect boot.   :) Mine is exactly the same, if I don't enable FileVault. We seem to be using the same video chipset. So yeah, it's normal to have the same results.

The gap between first and second boot is normal. Well, maybe not normal, but some older real iMacs have the same issue. :) And I don't know why. Not sure if anyone managed to find a solution for it.

If you were trying to fix that gap between first and second stage boot, this tutorial is not what you need. Cause it's not meant for that. :P

And to be honest, I don't know if that issue can be fixed. I have to admit, I didn't have the time to look into it too much. So, if you find a fix for it, I would be glad to hear about it. But I'm pretty happy with the current result.

My only issue is with FileVault. And now I just realized that there is no actual "Apple logo" for this case. At least my MBP doesn't display any. It's just a "default" user icon replacing the Apple logo. But still, I only have that for the first stage boot on the hackintosh. On the second stage, it's just the loading bar on a black background. While on the MBP, I have the same icon (on a transparent background) for both stages.

So that's what I was trying to figure out.

You pretty much got a perfect boot.   :) Mine is exactly the same, if I don't enable FileVault. We seem to be using the same video chipset. So yeah, it's normal to have the same results.

The gap between first and second boot is normal. Well, maybe not normal, but some older real iMacs have the same issue. :) And I don't know why. Not sure if anyone managed to find a solution for it.

If you were trying to fix that gap between first and second stage boot, this tutorial is not what you need. Cause it's not meant for that. :P

And to be honest, I don't know if that issue can be fixed. I have to admit, I didn't have the time to look into it too much. So, if you find a fix for it, I would be glad to hear about it. But I'm pretty happy with the current result.

My only issue is with FileVault. And now I just realized that there is no actual "Apple logo" for this case. At least my MBP doesn't display any. It's just a "default" user icon replacing the Apple logo. But still, I only have that for the first stage boot on the hackintosh. On the second stage, it's just the loading bar on a black background. While on the MBP, I have the same icon (on a transparent background) for both stages.

So that's what I was trying to figure out.

Thanks for your reply. Actually I also installed hackintosh with another nvidia cards such as gt 730, gtx 970, 980Ti and i got the same results with mine. But I haven't seen from other one who using hackintosh. So if you got the same result, I think it's normal and won't care about it anymore :D.

Just want to make it as smooth as possible but if can not, it's ok and no problem  B)

Thanks for your reply. Actually I also installed hackintosh with another nvidia cards such as gt 730, gtx 970, 980Ti and i got the same results with mine. But I haven't seen from other one who using hackintosh. So if you got the same result, I think it's normal and won't care about it anymore :D.

Just want to make it as smooth as possible but if can not, it's ok and no problem  B)

I know... We all want that. It's just sometimes...we gotta be ok with what we got. Also, as I said, this also occurs with some old iMacs. I suppose Apple fixed it. Or it's just the graphics card. I don't know... But I don't know anyone who figured it out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, its possible fix the logo en my GTX980 ?

Appears chubby in the 1st part :)

Thank so much.-

https://imgur.com/8Y5WC66

That's a resolution issue.

Did you disable CSM for Windows in BIOS? Does your card have a UEFI VBIOS? Are you using CSMVideoDxe driver in Clover? Cause you shouldn't need it. Try with and without it. See if it makes a difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's a resolution issue.

Did you disable CSM for Windows in BIOS? Does your card have a UEFI VBIOS? Are you using CSMVideoDxe driver in Clover? Cause you shouldn't need it. Try with and without it. See if it makes a difference.

Hello @arsradu

CSM for Windows Disable, My card have a uEFI vBios.

If I use CSMVideoDxe in clover the logo is very big.

Now I have put this set and appears very small

EDIT:

This is the change with the setting
https://imgur.com/a/iUC7C

1st part logo small, 2do size correct.

My connection in the Monitor is by DP

My Monitor is u28d590 and think that take resolution 4k

post-471348-0-17940100-1507134862_thumb.jpg

Hello @arsradu

CSM for Windows Disable, My card have a uEFI vBios.

If I use CSMVideoDxe in clover the logo is very big.

Now I have put this set and appears very small

EDIT:

This is the change with the setting
https://imgur.com/a/iUC7C

1st part logo small, 2do size correct.

My connection in the Monitor is by DP

My Monitor is u28d590 and think that take resolution 4k

In my experience, if you have a UEFI VBIOS and if you disabled CSM in BIOS (you don't need that unless you're planning on installing Windows XP any time soon, which is not something I would recommend), you don't need CSMVideoDxe in the first place. Have you tried without it? Is this how it looks without it? I'm just not sure I understood you correctly.

I watched your video. And LOL, it looks like you're zooming in on the second stage boot. I know you're not. But it's just the way it looks. Other than the display resolution, everything looks just the way it should.

By the way, is your OS set to 4K? Cause, for as far as I know, second stage boot shows up after the video drivers are initialized (I could be wrong though). So, I'm just thinking maybe CLOVER is actually the one in native resolution (so not too small, but when you have a 4K display...things do tend to look small lol) and the OS might actually be the one with a different resolution That's why I'm asking.

So let's see which one is actually correct. :)

As I said, other than this minor issue, everything looks pretty much on point.

• Like 1

My monitor is 4k, clover respects that resolution in the first part of the logo where the apple looks smaller, that's what I would like to fix.

If I change the resolution from GUI> Screen Resolution only work 2, my graphics is not able to use from the all list.

Of those 2 only I get soon chubby or bigger than you see in the second part.

My system is set to 1080p, the second part of the logo is correct, where WedDrivers works correctly.

CSMVideoDxe is removed because otherwise the logo comes out huge and I have disabled CSM in BIOS

Thank you very much for your help, regards.-

My monitor is 4k, clover respects that resolution in the first part of the logo where the apple looks smaller, that's what I would like to fix.

If I change the resolution from GUI> Screen Resolution only work 2, my graphics is not able to use from the all list.

Of those 2 only I get soon chubby or bigger than you see in the second part.

My system is set to 1080p, the second part of the logo is correct, where WedDrivers works correctly.

CSMVideoDxe is removed because otherwise the logo comes out huge and I have disabled CSM in BIOS

Thank you very much for your help, regards.-

I see, so you're trying to have 1080p for the first stage boot, too. Even though that's not the native resolution. Well, this might be more of a Clover thing than what this thread is aiming to achieve. :)

But I'll try to help. 

For as far as I know, Clover accepts other resolutions than the selectable ones, too. I could be wrong though. Have you tried entering the same resolution as your system manually? I suppose your resolution is not exactly 1920x1080, cause that one is already in the list.

Anyway, you can try to enter that resolution manually and see if it does anything for you. If not, I think the Clover guys might be able to help you better here.

Clover General Discussions thread can be found here.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

possible to have an example from a terminal

11ght3m.png

thank you

Hello,

1. make sure you download gfxutil.zip from the main page

2. extract it somewhere on your computer

3. create a new folder on your Desktop (you can call it whatever you want, it doesn't matter). I called mine GFX, for example. It can also be anywhere you want on your computer. I chose Desktop cause it's a common place.

4. put the extracted gfxutil file into that folder

5. open Terminal and follow the commands below

The command below assumes that you also called your working folder "GFX" and it's also on your Desktop. If that's not the case, change the command below to match your case.

cd Desktop/GFX/

ioreg -lw0 -p IODeviceTree -n efi -r -x | grep device-properties | sed 's/.*<//;s/>.*//;' > "device-properties.hex" && ./gfxutil -s -n -i hex -o xml "device-properties.hex" "device-properties.xml"

You can see what it should look like in the screenshot below.

post-1303722-0-40214700-1518727694_thumb.png

Now, open up the GFX folder, and you should have the necessary files to go to the next step.

• Like 1

Thank you so much

I added to the config.plist is right

<dict>

<key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BootDisplay</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>EDID</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
        <key>PatchVBios</key>
        <true/>
        <key>VideoPorts</key>
        <integer>3</integer>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Thank you so much

I added to the config.plist is right

<dict>

<key>Graphics</key>

<dict>

<key>BootDisplay</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>EDID</key>

<dict>

<key>Inject</key>

<true/>

</dict>

<key>Inject</key>

<dict>

<key>NVidia</key>

<true/>

</dict>

<key>PatchVBios</key>

<true/>

<key>VideoPorts</key>

<integer>3</integer>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

Well, where did you add the hex output (step 4)? I think you might have skipped a few steps in the process.

You need to edit the device-properties xml file, update the hex based on those changes, read the hex, inject the output into the config. I think you might have missed a few steps along the line.

Well, where did you add the hex output (step 4)? I think you might have skipped a few steps in the process.

in the config.plist

You need to edit the device-properties xml file, update the hex based on those changes, read the hex, inject the output into the config. I think you might have missed a few steps along the line.

?