[GUIDE] USB Fix El Capitan 10.11

830 posts in this topic

@oSxFr33k,

For me, base on your example, doing so will lead "000001.386481 StandardUSB::validateEndpointMaxPacketSize: USB 2.0 5.[5|7].3: endpoint 0x00 invalid wMaxPacketSize 0x0040" in boot console

Scope (EUSB)
{
  Name (_STA, Zero) <== this
}

I don't see that in my console.  I even tried searching for pieces of it and all I see are network related messages thats it!!

According to your IOReg your AS2105 is under a USB2.0 hub under the RP06/PXSX device. Not sure why this is happening, but this is probably what's limiting your speeds to USB 2.0. I think third-party xHCI controllers won't work for the time being with USB 3.0, so OS X is probably forcing all devices to connect to the USB 2.0 ports.

Actually I forgot that I was using the FakePCIID Mux kext. That could be the reason why the AS2015 is detected as a USB 2.0 device. I remember before it was found under PXSX > AppleUSB30XHCIPort.

So that means that any third party XHCI controller like VIA won't work with any USB fix for El Capitan unless someone makes some sort of XHCI kext? So far I haven't seen anybody here with this controller.

I don't think any third party xHCI controllers are working in 10.11 right now. Does AppleUSBXHCI load for your VIA VL805? What do you see in IORegistryExplorer under RP0x (wherever the VIA VL805 xHCI controller is on PCIe).

My 3rd party Etron USB3 ports work partially (only for USB3 devices) with the same set of patches used for 10.10 and renaming the XHCI device to XHC. In ioreg, under the XHC device I see 2 AppleUSB20XHCIPort and 2 AppleUSB30XHCIPort.

So I finally have all Intel USB2 ports working and no Panic on boot.  I do not have to disable ASMedia USB3 in Bios.  I just use the SSDT I mentioned in post #342 and an un-modified Dummy XHCI.

What goes over my head is how can the USB2 and USB3 ASMedia ports all work if I do not use any 3rd party kexts or injectors and deal with the kernel panic and try to boot past it about 8 to 10 times I finally boot.  I get the flood of ASMX messages and all but 3 of the ASMedia USB 3 ports are working.  How is this possible?

Ioreg screehshot link of all but a couple of USB3 ports working after about 8 to 10 reboots and get past the panic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306777-guide-usb-fix-el-capitan-1011/?p=2169752

Current Ioreg Screenshots with Dummy kext and properly edited SSDT all USB2 ports working:

post-135888-0-99506800-1443158653_thumb.png

post-135888-0-16258600-1443158663_thumb.png

Just wow, fixing USB seems completely insane, good to see Apple is back to their old tricks of deliberately going out of its way just to sabotage hacks.

Looks like with my Asus P8Z77-V Premium even with the old DSDT patch it still doesn't have the naming convention down to what Apple expects (yay taking the U out of the UEFI spec) It now sees three controllers and one of them is a misconfigured USB 3.0 as a USB 2.0. I have attached DSDT, Screenshots, and IOReg. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. It looks like the Asus DSDT patch repo might had done more harm with these changes then good...

DSDT

IORegExplorer output

iMac 13,2 configuration:

EHC

XHC

How it is currently Detected:

Sys Info

*sighs* such a mess.

Just wow, fixing USB seems completely insane, good to see Apple is back to their old tricks of deliberately going out of its way just to sabotage hacks.

Looks like with my Asus P8Z77-V Premium even with the old DSDT patch it still doesn't have the naming convention down to what Apple expects (yay taking the U out of the UEFI spec) It now sees three controllers and one of them is a misconfigured USB 3.0 as a USB 2.0. I have attached DSDT, Screenshots, and IOReg. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. It looks like the Asus DSDT patch repo might had done more harm with these changes then good...

DSDT

IORegExplorer output

iMac 13,2 configuration:

EHC

XHC

How it is currently Detected:

Sys Info

*sighs* such a mess.

Which controller are you having issues with? AFAIK this is normal on El Capitan, System Information/USB no longer has two different entries for USB 3 (only USB 3.0 Bus instead of USB 3.0 Hi-Speed/USB 3.0 SuperSpeed).

Which controller are you having issues with? AFAIK this is normal on El Capitan, System Information/USB no longer has two different entries for USB 3 (only USB 3.0 Bus instead of USB 3.0 Hi-Speed/USB 3.0 SuperSpeed).

I am trying to get my Z77 USB ports worked out correctly before moving onto trying to fix my highPoint RocketU 1144D (4 usb 3.0 ports) and the onboard ASmedia USB 3.0 controller (2-ports). Basically things that can be fixed with DSDT or injector KEXTs instead of needing third-party drivers which are forthcoming.

so...

In total, the Z77 controller feeds 6 USB 2.0 ports and 4 USB 3.0 ports. one of those USB 3.0 ports is being seen as a separate USB 2.0 bus (the one with the G19 off of it) despite the other three ports being seen properly. From my understanding this means the bus is missing in the XHCI while being properly in the EHCI list (since all USB 3.0 buses are USB 2.0 buses with an extra controller for the xhci speed/capabilities)... or something like that. I also missing two USB 2.0 ports as only a total of 4 can be seen by OS X. I so wish my motherboard manual had a proper schematic of how the USB subsystem is laid out because I just can't read all of these dumps to figure out where/how to start.

• Like 1

I'm getting a very odd issue where USB devices are only being detected and operating as USB1.1 devices - a paltry 12Mb/s.

So far I've tried:

Changing system models (System was originally configured as a MacPro3,1 under Yosemite, then an iMac8,1 upon ElCap installation, alongside the dummy kext)

Changing the DSDT so the ports register as EH01,EH02 instead of EHC1,EHC2.

Changing Clover USB settings.

OS X is using the UHCI driver instead of EHCI, limiting the speed.

Any ideas?

So I finally have all Intel USB2 ports working and no Panic on boot.  I do not have to disable ASMedia USB3 in Bios.  I just use the SSDT I mentioned in post #342 and an un-modified Dummy XHCI.

What goes over my head is how can the USB2 and USB3 ASMedia ports all work if I do not use any 3rd party kexts or injectors and deal with the kernel panic and try to boot past it about 8 to 10 times I finally boot.  I get the flood of ASMX messages and all but 3 of the ASMedia USB 3 ports are working.  How is this possible?

Ioreg screehshot link of all but a couple of USB3 ports working after about 8 to 10 reboots and get past the panic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306777-guide-usb-fix-el-capitan-1011/?p=2169752

Current Ioreg Screenshots with Dummy kext and properly edited SSDT all USB2 ports working:

hey oSxFr33k could you help me fix my usb 2.0 and 3.0 i don't understand where to start man.. this screen is from 10.10.5 btw  

post-70952-0-92106900-1443455380_thumb.png

post-70952-0-05143700-1443455569_thumb.png

@david_osx,

Which motherboard do you have?  Put all your PC's in your signature.  I was kinda lucky to have a properly edited ssdt.  I just use the dummy xhci kext to get around kernel panic.  Other than that I don't think I can be much help.  I will try though.

ok this one is from 10.11

So you can boot without panic if you don't run any kext like dummy?  I get kernel panic.  I have the Asus X79-Deluxe and I wonder now if its the built in Wifi/USB card.  I am going to remove that card and see if the panic goes away.  You basically have the same chipset Asus X79 Sabertooth just without Wifi/BT.

Just grab the Rampagedev DMG for your board and get the ssdt's from there. Boot with them let me know what happens.

I would also think about using smbios for iMac14,2 instead of MacPro6,1.

If all your USB2 ports are working then I think you are good to go.  The USB3 are ASMedia and we have to wait for new GenericUSBXHCI.kext or equivalent.  I don't think the developer will be updating this any longer.

Edited:

I also see you are on 10.11.1 Beta.  So no kernel panic on 10.11 or 10.11.1 without dummy kext?

Admittedly, the X97 and the Z97 might be different enough that I may be wrong, but on my Z97 the culprit of the panic at boot was the ASMedia USB3 controller. If your motherboard has one, try disabling it (via the UEFI configuration UI) - for me, built-in WiFi (and Bluetooth) work (with kexts, but they work) and don't cause panics.

So you can boot without panic if you don't run any kext like dummy?  I get kernel panic.  I have the Asus X79-Deluxe and I wonder now if its the built in Wifi/USB card.  I am going to remove that card and see if the panic goes away.  You basically have the same chipset Asus X79 Sabertooth just without Wifi/BT.

Just grab the Rampagedev DMG for your board and get the ssdt's from there. Boot with them let me know what happens.

I would also think about using smbios for iMac14,2 instead of MacPro6,1.

If all your USB2 ports are working then I think you are good to go.  The USB3 are ASMedia and we have to wait for new GenericUSBXHCI.kext or equivalent.  I don't think the developer will be updating this any longer.

Edited:

I also see you are on 10.11.1 Beta.  So no kernel panic on 10.11 or 10.11.1 without dummy kext?

Hi,

I have an Asus X99 -A and USB 3.0 don't work until I changed the

following parameters in BIOS :
advanced > USB Configuration
  Intel xHCI Mode          > Enabled
  EHCI Legacy Support > Auto
  xHCI Hand - off           > Enabled
  EHCI Hand - off           > Enabled

I don't installed any Kext .

Now it works perfectly

Sorry for my English

• Like 2

Hey All,

Will this issue be addressed in clover (So we don't have to do all this) @slice

I believe I am having this issue on a Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H - I have 10.11 Beta 8 installed and I cannot seem to get the GM to boot/install for the life of me.

Can anyone be of assistance? All hardware is in the link i supplied as well as a video of each boot.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308221-issues-with-installing-1011-gm-on-ga-h87m-d3h/