331 posts in this topic

Mactabletman, thanks for the info. This morning I tried the i5 method using each of the ig platform id's for the 6000/6100. Unfortunalty after getting to Clover the process hauled on the apple log after the installer was started. I ran verbose and the process ended on line showing root device UUID 'xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx'. 

Unfortunately after a few attempts I was called away. I'm going to get back at it tonight and this weekend, but I'm a little rusty. So any insight would be greatly appreciated.

We will make it work.  How far have you gotten? Can you install and boot into the install with out acceleration using the i5 ig platform?

We will make it work. How far have you gotten? Can you install and boot into the install with out acceleration using the i5 ig platform?

I've only been able to load into the Clover menu. When I launch the installer I get this.

http://bit.ly/1Hnfvsq

I went back through and reinstalled Clover on my install drive and reloaded the patched files. I'm still getting the same results.

**UPDATE**

I rebuilt the installer using the terminal method which seemed to correct whatever the fault was. I now load past the UUID line but not all the way to the installer. I get stuck on ACPI and from what I have read here, this is also where Alexway got stuck before needing to edit the DSDT. Not knowing exactly what Alleyway did I decide to extract my native DSDT and since I still have Windows 8.1 installed on my CC2, I used the method RehabMan has posted here (https://github.com/R...patch-your-DSDT) for extracting your native DSDT and I also tried the F4 method, but I still get stuck on ACPI. screen shot .

I've only been able to load into the Clover menu. When I launch the installer I get this.

I went back through and reinstalled Clover on my install drive and reloaded the patched files. I'm still getting the same results.

**UPDATE**

I rebuilt the installer using the terminal method which seemed to correct whatever the fault was. I now load past the UUID line but not all the way to the installer. I get stuck on ACPI and from what I have read here, this is also where Alexway got stuck before needing to edit the DSDT. Not knowing exactly what Alleyway did I decide to extract my native DSDT and since I still have Windows 8.1 installed on my CC2, I used the method RehabMan has posted here (https://github.com/R...patch-your-DSDT) for extracting your native DSDT and I also tried the F4 method, but I still get stuck on ACPI. screen shot .

hmmm okay well try installing clover on the usb installer, dont use a custom config file, but add fakesmc.kext and cpupowermanagment kexts to the 10.10 folder in the efi partition kexts folder of clover.  The DSDT files shouldnt matter for the initial boot of the installer, thats for later and making everything work.  When you boot into clover go to the options and deselect all the dsdt fixes then go into the graphics options and delect inject edid.  This should give you the basic function without acceleration.  Let me know if this at least gets you to the installer. 

Also I have installed El Capitan with DP1 and DP2, neither have support for the wacom interface.  Not sure if they took this out on purpose but for some reason it seems as tho it was intentional.  Also sleep seems better supported as it goes to sleep quickly, still wakes to a black screen but maybe it will help us figure it out.

• Like 1

**UPDATE**

Hi Frestyl, I don't have the time for the moment to play with my cintiq to fix the graphic card problem.

I think the main problem with the ACPI is coming from the fakesmc. You can replace the files on your clover usb by these ones : https://dl.dropboxus...04/Good EFI.zip and it will work.

Please keep me posted on your progress. 

• Like 1

Hi Frestyl, I don't have the time for the moment to play with my cintiq to fix the graphic card problem.

I think the main problem with the ACPI is coming from the fakesmc. You can replace the files on your clover usb by these ones : https://dl.dropboxus...04/Good EFI.zip and it will work.

Please keep me posted on your progress. 

- Mactabletman, Alexway, Thanks for your help!

I was able to boot into the installer without any issues using the "Good EFI" Alexway provided. From there I was able to get Disk Utility open then attempted to format the partition I created for OS X to install on, but DU failed with a not enough free space error.

For now I'm holding off installing while I sort out the best method for creating a "bootable" HFS partition on the drive without clearing the current install of Win 8.1.

I'll post updates as I make progress.

- Mactabletman, Alexway, Thanks for your help!

I was able to boot into the installer without any issues using the "Good EFI" Alexway provided. From there I was able to get Disk Utility open then attempted to format the partition I created for OS X to install on, but DU failed with a not enough free space error.

For now I'm holding off installing while I sort out the best method for creating a "bootable" HFS partition on the drive without clearing the current install of Win 8.1.

I'll post updates as I make progress.

Oh yes forgot to mention that, don't trash the current Win 8.1 install. Even the recovery USB won't let it get you back the Win 8.1 install. You really have to clone the drive to keep it.

I am returning now my Cintiq to Wacom for a reinstall, I have found all the drivers for the Cintiq except the one to make it a peripheral and Wacom does not have an installer, you have to return it for them to install it !!!

Oh yes forgot to mention that, don't trash the current Win 8.1 install. Even the recovery USB won't let it get you back the Win 8.1 install. You really have to clone the drive to keep it.

I am returning now my Cintiq to Wacom for a reinstall, I have found all the drivers for the Cintiq except the one to make it a peripheral and Wacom does not have an installer, you have to return it for them to install it !!!

WOW! That is good to know regardless of what I'm doing now. I'll get the clone made before I proceed further.

Hi I'm a newbie, and I really wish I could help development but I know very little about x86/ACPI/UEFI. I followed your directions on a very early CC2 Core i5/8GB/128GB. When I add the AppleACPIPlatform.kext I can no longer boot. I get the following kernel panic:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffffff80008f0204): Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2782.20.48/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1590

When I don't install the same kext things work well, system boots, sound works. The only issue is that the battery has an X inside it.

Any suggestions?

I will install the Wi-Fi card soon to see if I can get networking up.

BTW, thank you for all the hard work to get me this far!!!

... After a bit of googling: maybe I need to mask out a DSDT fix?

Edited by tumble2k
  • Like 1

one more question: how do I get the entire boot log? Is this a clover setting?

Yeah the boot log should be in a folder, You would have to google it as ive never really referred to it myself, probably should, haha. What model do you have?

• Like 1

Okay I found the clover boot log info. I'll try it out and see if I can get some log lines before the panic.

• LogLineCount=0 - Set maximum number of lines for log file, default 0 (no Limit).
  • LogLocation=PATH - Set the path for the log files to be saved.
  • LogEveryBoot=Yes/No - Save log files at every boot.

I have one of the CC2s with the Core i5. I think the model number is DTHW1310L. If clover reports a model number I can try to find it.

Okay I found the clover boot log info. I'll try it out and see if I can get some log lines before the panic.

• LogLineCount=0 - Set maximum number of lines for log file, default 0 (no Limit).
  • LogLocation=PATH - Set the path for the log files to be saved.
  • LogEveryBoot=Yes/No - Save log files at every boot.

I have one of the CC2s with the Core i5. I think the model number is DTHW1310L. If clover reports a model number I can try to find it.

If you have the i5 version, then the install guide from my blog or the beginning of this thread should work. Follow it to a T.

http://thinkinginteraflops.blogspot.com/2015/03/yosemite-cintiq-companion-2-install.html

• Like 1

Okay I tried the command line version of the installer but on installation it would consistently hang with one second to go.

I went back and

1. Recreated the installer the hard way using the method at the beginning of this thread.

2. Installed Clover_v2.3k_r3185 with all of the specified settings from the beginning of this thread.

3. Added the FakeSMC.kext to EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 and EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other. As an extra step I added all of the kexts from the Kexts to Install directory to the EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 directory. Probably the wrong thing to do but I did it anyway.

4. Added the files in DSDT to EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched and the config.plist to EFI/EFI/CLOVER.

5. I ejected the USB flash drive and inserted it into the Companion 2. When I powered up Clover came up. I selected the only drive that appeared and booted.

6. Walked through the standard Yosemite install.

7. After the install finished, it rebooted into Clover.

8. Selected the newly created install. Booted. Yosemite came up!

9. I went back to /System/Library/Extensions but didn’t see the kexts from the Kexts to Install directory so I installed using Kext Wizard, fixed permissions, rebuilt the caches, and rebooted. Didn’t crash!

10. So then I installed the Cintiq driver. After installing while testing the pen I had some error message about ACPIButtons not working. However, I haven’t noticed any issues.

11. I then cracked open the case (actually cracked some of the stupid plastic tabs) and installed the Wi-Fi module chuppiejones mentioned here. I powered up, Used Kext Wizard to install the PCI kexts also mentioned in the same post (FakePCIID_BCM94352Z_as_BCM94360CS2.kext and FakePCIID.kext). Rebooted and Wi-Fi was working!!!

So now I’m super happy. This is the machine that the Cintiq Companion 2 was supposed to be! Adobe CC appears to work well. I had to turn off hard disk sleep in the Energy Saver Preference Pane to improve Illustrator pen tool performance.

• Like 1

AWESOME news tumble! glad to hear! Its a great feeling huh?  By any chance did you come from the tabletpcreview forum? I was posting in there for a while and they banned any mention of this project so i figured users would make their way here haha.  As for me, I also ordered the wifi card and im considering getting the 500gb ssd but dont think I need it at this point. Im considering tearing off the stock screen protector and replacing it with one that has less grain.  Im also looking into ways to lower the TDP to 15watts and testing out how well it performs. I want to save battery/ heat.  Glad you made it work! :D  Now lets get sleep fixed and were all set, haha.  

• Like 1

Yes, it's an awesome feeling and all possible thanks to your hard work on both the software side and directions on opening the device.

I did not come from the tabletpcreview forum. I just did a google search for hackintosh cintiq companion 2 and found this site to be the one with substance.

About sleep. I'd like to help if I can, but this is alien technology for me. I downloaded the APIC spec but I'd think I would need datasheets for the hardware components too. How do you guys figure out the DSDT patches? Is there some beginner's guide somewhere? Is it just a matter of patching the DSDT so it works with Mac OS X?

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Yes, it's an awesome feeling and all possible thanks to your hard work on both the software side and directions on opening the device.

I did not come from the tabletpcreview forum. I just did a google search for hackintosh cintiq companion 2 and found this site to be the one with substance.

About sleep. I'd like to help if I can, but this is alien technology for me. I downloaded the APIC spec but I'd think I would need datasheets for the hardware components too. How do you guys figure out the DSDT patches? Is there some beginner's guide somewhere? Is it just a matter of patching the DSDT so it works with Mac OS X?

Thanks again!

Hey thanks for the thanks! it truly means a lot and keeps me going.  As far as helping out, we all had to start somewhere and a lot of it is still alien to me. When i first started hacking the cintiq companion 1 i would sit up for nights on end just doing trial and error experiments. There is so so so much information to take in and so many damn variables it can all be a bit convoluted at times.  I did notice when playing with El Capitan DP2 the sleep worked right away without having to add the genericusb kext, which I think we have to do in yosemite if I recall correctly.  So the usb kexts are different, I might try to plug them into yosemite to see what happens, however the wacom interface no longer works in elcapitan so that could also be related to the new usb kexts.  So far we can basically get it to sleep but it has a black screen on waking.  

• Like 1

I read through this entire thread again. I thought I might try to summarize the sleep issue.

1. The sleep issue is related to USB because installing the GenericUSB kext with the proper flag gux-defer-usb2 allows the device to go into sleep (evidenced by the throbbing LED).

2. On wake, a lot of the machine comes up, but the display and perhaps other stuff does not get initialized properly.

3. The standard SD card is connected over USB 3.0 as is the display.

4. On El Capitan, the sleep and wake work properly, perhaps because Apple has added support for restoring the display in that OS?

I have learned from other experience that USB is a pain in the neck in general especially when mixing it with power states, but this seems to be more of a system issue of restoring the device on wake.

It seems that disassembling the El Capitan usb kext and comparing it to the generic USB kext might be helpful.

I just wanted to drop a note of where I'm at with my CC2 i7/512.

Using the EFI from Alexway I was able to successfully boot into the os X 10.10 installer (Thank you!). After that I planned out how I wanted to install mac OS X.

My main goal is/was to keep the original install of Windows 8.1 and add an install OS X 10.10. My reasoning for this method is that I want to retain the Desktop mode of the tablet, as Wacom does not currently provide the Windows peripheral mode drivers.

What I Have Found

My goal was to split the Windows 8.1 partition, format the new partition using Disk Utility in the OS X installer, and install OS X. Unfortunately after formatting the new partition Disk Utility was unable to format the partition and kept throwing errors about not enough space to complete.

Plan B was to use a 3rd party tool and pre-format the partition as HFS+. I was able to format the partition, however the OS X installer would not allow me to install on this partition. I did try to use Disk Utility again to reformat the drive, but the same error as above resulted. While messing around with Disk Utility I did notice that restore option for that partition was available so I decided to try and restore a clone of an of an OS X installation to the newly created partition and it worked.

Below is the "Hot Mess" of a workaround I came up with. It may or may not work for you. If anyone has a better way I'm all ears.

Bakup and Cloning

Backup the CC2 SSD - I made an ISO image of the entire SSD block by block. You will need to do this incase things go south and  you need to restore back to OEM install. 

Create clean clone of an OS X install and place it on a USB drive named CloneX. - I used my MacBook Pro to do this and cloned the drive using Carbon Copy Cloner to a USB.

Drive Partitioning and Formatting

Split the Windows 8.1 Partition in two. - You can use Disk Management in Windows to do this.

Format the new "empty" partition as HFS+ and name it MacHD. - You will need a 3rd party utility, I used a free Paragon HFS+ for Windows.

Installation and Restore

Attach your "OS X installer/Clover"and CloneX to your CC2

Boot into Clover, select the OS X Installer drive icon and enter all the appropriate settings you need and boot the installer.

Once at the OS X installation screen quit the installer and run Disk Utility. 

In Disk Utility select CloneX then click on the restore tab, CloneX will now be in the "Source" box.

Drag the MacHD (HFS+ partition) from the right column to the "Destination" box. 

Verify you have the proper Source and Destination and click "Restore".

Once the restore has completed shut down the CC2 and remove the ConeX drive.

Reboot your CC2 into Clover enter your appropriate setting and select MacHD and you should boot right into Mac OS X

Repair

On one occasion I experienced an issue booting into the new install of Mac OS X after the restore completed. To repair this I had to run the installer and reinstall/repair the restored partition.

Okay so this is where I have left off. I was able to boot into Mac OS X and install the Wacom drivers and that all seemed to work well. I have not yet had time to mess around with any thing else.

• Like 1

No that actually sounds about right, the osx installer wont allow installation to a drive with windows partitioning (GPT?) there are work around patches that should allow it but i have had hit and miss results with them. I just keep a clean install on an external drive then clone it to the internal to experiment on. If i mess anything up i just reclone the clean install and continue tinkering. I ordered the WiFi card and it should be here in a couple days. 

No that actually sounds about right, the osx installer wont allow installation to a drive with windows partitioning (GPT?) there are work around patches that should allow it but i have had hit and miss results with them. I just keep a clean install on an external drive then clone it to the internal to experiment on. If i mess anything up i just reclone the clean install and continue tinkering. I ordered the WiFi card and it should be here in a couple days. 

I'm glad to hear I wasn't completely as mad as I thought. I'm heading out of town for about a week, but when I get back I plan on seeing what I can do to get the graphics acceleration working properly and the i7 processor registering.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys while using the  cintiq on battery power I find its too powerhungry and awful with resources. Does anyone know anything about undervolting? I would like to clock the cpu down to about 15w. 

I found this link a while back. Unfortunately it's for Mavericks, but it could be useful. http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-support/128926-mavericks-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.html

• Like 1

I found this link a while back. Unfortunately it's for Mavericks, but it could be useful. http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-support/128926-mavericks-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.html

I run Mavericks on my CC2 and enabled haswell kernel power management. It gave me more Pstates, but honestly, the battery life difference is minuscule at best. Some apps like sketchbook pro 6 don't take advantage of stepping and other software toon boom harmony does really well. I've been tinkering with modding the UEFI bios to unlock the advanced ACPI menus. I've gotten pretty close so far in figuring it out. That definitely would help with undervolting. I'm thinking the answer to wake from sleep may be there too.

• Like 1

Interesting find freestyl, I will have to check into that. Chuppie, I agree the answer to sleep might be found there too. I just got back from taking it to a cafe and having an art session with a friend to put it thru its paces. I planned to take my power cord expecting to need it and FORGOT IT! UGHH. So i really had to experience how portable it would be. I got about 2-3 hours of zbrushing and sketchbook pro use. It said 2 hours remaining from around 90 percent then i turned the screen down to half brightness.  This is about what I was expecting. I dont know that windows would do much better but I imagine the power management might be better, will have to try it, but to be honest I would rather use OS X and deal with the slightly less time of use. I will just take my power cord from now on and invest in a powerbank for longer trips. All in all I freakin love it! Everything is pretty much working aside from sleep, for now I just save my work and shut down.  I did also notice that I wasnt able to find the bluetooth option with this new wireless card. Do you have bluetooth working chuppie? If so what did you do to get it working?  I will have to update the guide with all your guys hard work! thanks!

EDIT

I just saw you post about bluetooth, I will have to try it out when I get a chance. In the meantime I updated the first post and simplified the hell out of it. Also made a new installer pack with the kexts and edited DSDT.