IntelMausiEthernet.kext for Intel onboard LAN

Mieze
1,013 posts in this topic

In this thread, I found a discussion about using Drogo. Using Drobo is easy. You can get started even with one hard drive installed. But with this configuration, you will not get any data protection. To protect the product, developers use encoding such as HASP and there are many ways to emulate a key for hardware, for example https://lostdongle.com 

Does anyone here understand how this works?

• 3 weeks later...

As 2.5.0d14 has been working fine here on Sierra I built a copy targetting Yosemite to run on my Z68. That has been running 2.2.0 up until now.

Initial impressions are that it's working fine but I'm curious if Yosemite will see any benefits in running 2.5.0 over 2.2.0? I guess there's the improved interrupt throttling code at least.

On 9/24/2019 at 2:15 AM, Riley Freeman said:

Initial impressions are that it's working fine but I'm curious if Yosemite will see any benefits in running 2.5.0 over 2.2.0? I guess there's the improved interrupt throttling code at least.

I don't think that there will be any benefit because the new version is optimized for Mojave. As power management has a significant influence interrupt latency, it may impact network driver performance as well. That's the reason why I have to run speed tests and rework interrupt throttling code whenever Apple changes power management. After all, in most cases the impact of changes in power management on network performance aren't dramatic. We are talking about 5% but if you want to achieve results which are near the limits of gigabit ethernet, it's inevitable to go through these steps of optimization with every major release of macOS. 

On 8/28/2019 at 1:29 PM, CoBrA2168 said:

@Mieze I noticed that @vit9696 has forked and made a copy of your kext.  I've seen that some of your commits were also pulled into that new repo.  I'm currently using your latest debug driver, as it works great with 10.14.6 but I was wondering which you recommend to use going forward?  Will the acidanthera version be the one to use going forward?

Well, I checked his changes and besides support for kernel debugging there is nothing useful in it. vit9696 and I, we had a discussion about a kernel panic he encountered while using IntelMausiEthernet.kext some time ago and he wanted to convince me that there is a bug in the driver. Tracing back the call chain in the kernel panic report he sent me, I finally came to the conclusion that it was a linker error, although he insisted on his point of view. Maybe that's one of the reasons why he forked. For a detailed explanation of the problem and how to avoid it (clean system caches), please see the section about kernel panics in post #1 of this thread.

As already, mentioned, the only valuable addition is support for kernel debugging. If you need it, his fork is the way to go. Otherwise there is not much reason to use it. I may integrate support for kernel debugging at some point of time in the future but as most users don't need it, it's a low priority feature for me.

• Like 2

Hello!
Please, help
I have a motherboard X8DTH with ethernet controller INTEL 82576.  I downloaded the kext from the first page, but the network interface still does not work. Please tell me what to do. I used kext utility for installation 

Please, help

On 10/1/2019 at 6:05 PM, Mieze said:

Well, I checked his changes and besides support for kernel debugging there is nothing useful in it. vit9696 and I, we had a discussion about a kernel panic he encountered while using IntelMausiEthernet.kext some time ago and he wanted to convince me that there is a bug in the driver. Tracing back the call chain in the kernel panic report he sent me, I finally came to the conclusion that it was a linker error, although he insisted on his point of view. Maybe that's one of the reasons why he forked. For a detailed explanation of the problem and how to avoid it (clean system caches), please see the section about kernel panics in post #1 of this thread.

As already, mentioned, the only valuable addition is support for kernel debugging. If you need it, his fork is the way to go. Otherwise there is not much reason to use it. I may integrate support for kernel debugging at some point of time in the future but as most users don't need it, it's a low priority feature for me.

Thank you for the explanation.  In that case, I'll continue to use your version of the kext, considering you're the maintainer.

Now that I have your attention, do you have any plans to cut an official release of 2.5.0?  I'm using 2.5.0d14 and it's working perfectly fine on 2 of my Mojave hacks.  I'd say it's stable enough to promote to a full release. :)

2 hours ago, CoBrA2168 said:

Now that I have your attention, do you have any plans to cut an official release of 2.5.0?  I'm using 2.5.0d14 and it's working perfectly fine on 2 of my Mojave hacks.  I'd say it's stable enough to promote to a full release. :)

Yeah, you are right! I'll publish the official release during the next days!

Mieze :cat:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

First time poster here, but I need your assistance.

So I have updated my hackintosh, which is an Intel NUC8i7BEH with 32Gb RAM and 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD, to MacOS Catalina recently. The update went smooth except for the fact that my Ethernet became super unreliable.

I do have ethernet connectivity but the performance drops sometimes to a level where browsing becomes impossible.. I did not had such issues on MacOS Mojave.

I have tried numerous suggestions by all kinds of forums (reddit, tonymac,..) like changing a bios setting, updating a clover setting (FixedRegions in ACPI) but none of them fixed the issue.

The only thing that gives me a stable ethernet connection is go System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > Advanced > Hardware and change the setting from Automatic to Manual and lower the speed to 100BaseTX from 1000BaseT, which is absurd in this day and age.

So I hope I can find some help here! Looking forward to it (I don't have Wi-Fi on my NUC for now, so it's kinda annoying..)

16 hours ago, Hedgehog2k said:

I do have ethernet connectivity but the performance drops sometimes to a level where browsing becomes impossible.. I did not had such issues on MacOS Mojave.

Are you sure that the real problem is related to ethernet because you are talking about browsing which could very well be more a graphics related issue.

Also keep in mind that GB ethernet performance depends on power management to work properly and at first glance, your problem makes me think about PM.

In any case, please check your kernel logs first.

• Like 1

Are you sure that the real problem is related to ethernet because you are talking about browsing which could very well be more a graphics related issue.

Also keep in mind that GB ethernet performance depends on power management to work properly and at first glance, your problem makes me think about PM.

In any case, please check your kernel logs first.

Could you guide me how to check the kernel logs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Hedgehog2k said:

Could you guide me how to check the kernel logs...emoji846.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One possibility among others: Open Terminal and type

sudo log show --predicate "processID == 0" --debug

You will get all entries. If you only want the entries of today or today/hours type: date/hours below are for example

sudo log show --predicate "processID == 0" --start "2019-10-14 08:00:00" --debug

Edited by Matgen84

14 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

One possibility among others: Open Terminal and type

sudo log show --predicate "processID == 0" --debug

You will get all entries. If you only want the entries of today or today/hours type: date/hours below are for example

sudo log show --predicate "processID == 0" --start "2019-10-14 08:00:00" --debug

I took the logs from today. Going on a limp here and attach them.. No idea if I share something sensitive. But I have no clue what to look for.

kernel.txt

Tried to compile the kext from: https://github.com/Mieze/IntelMausiEthernet (5ab7f9d). Succesfully compiled the .kext but after rebooting no Internet connection anymore. Tried 2.4.0 and that one worked.. anything wrong with 2.5.0? I've attached the compiled .kext (and yes - I've selected 10.8 as base SDK and deployment target).

IntelMausiEthernet.kext.zip

Hi, I'm not too technologically inclined, but I wanted to ask for a little help...
I have a Intel i217-LM on my device, which I just installed Mojave on.
I couldn't get the internet working, so I downloaded your prebuilt binary for 10.11 and above, copied the "IntelMausiEthernet.kext" file on to my desktop along with Kext Beast. I ran Kext Beast and chose Library-Extensions as the install folder. Afterwards, I saw that the IntelMausiEthernet.kext was placed into the folder.

I rebooted, but I am still unable to get internet connection.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you

Edited by dptntkfkd

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 8:23 PM, Mieze said:

I just uploaded the prebuilt binaries of version 2.5.0 to the downloads section here on IM.

Have fun! :cat:

Thank you for your work I have Intel (R) Ethernet Connection I219-V and it is impossible to work in the installation of mojave and catalina

On 11/12/2019 at 1:47 AM, RubenR said:

Thank you for your work I have Intel (R) Ethernet Connection I219-V and it is impossible to work in the installation of mojave and catalina

Your problem description suggests that the reason is located in front of the computer. Please fix your system or, in case of a real, driver related problem, post a bug report which shows what is wrong. :P

Mieze

• Haha 1

I have compiled IntelMausiEthernet.kext from Github Resources with XCODE version 11.2.1 with success in Catalina 10.15.2 Beta 2

My Intel I219V2 from Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 is working properly, sleep and wake without problem (with ethernet cable attached).

And just for the information, i always use Wifi for daily usage. i just tried new version and give feedback for dev.

Thanks very much

Edited by Andres ZeroCross
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 11:24 PM, Andres ZeroCross said:

I have compiled IntelMausiEthernet.kext from Github Resources with XCODE version 11.2.1 with success in Catalina 10.15.2 Beta 2

My Intel I219V2 from Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 is working properly, sleep and wake without problem (with ethernet cable attached).

And just for the information, i always use Wifi for daily usage. i just tried new version and give feedback for dev.

Thanks very much

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 11.18.18.png

HI, Can you please add support for I350 onboard lan?  (0x15218086 )

here is the key from AppleIGP.kext, as you may already now, It's unstable with kernal panics... but when it does not panic, it works well.

<key>i350</key>
        <dict>
            <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
            <string>com.insanelymac.driver.AppleIGB</string>
            <key>IOClass</key>
            <string>AppleIGB</string>
            <key>IOPCIMatch</key>
            <string>0x15218086 0x15228086 0x15238086 0x15248086 0x15468086</string>
            <key>IOProviderClass</key>
            <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
            <key>NETIF_F_TSO</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>

On 10/2/2019 at 4:07 PM, Evgeny2256 said:

Hello!
Please, help
I have a motherboard X8DTH with ethernet controller INTEL 82576.  I downloaded the kext from the first page, but the network interface still does not work. Please tell me what to do. I used kext utility for installation 

Please, help

Hi. Smalltreexxxxx.kext will support your MB. On Mojave and Catalina. I know , I have the same Nic on my X8DTi

• 1 month later...