IntelMausiEthernet.kext for Intel onboard LAN

Mieze
1,013 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, hackaro said:

Hi Mieze,

just wondering... is there any link aggregation support with this kext under High Sierra/Mojave? TIA!

Yes, the driver supports LACP. I successfully tested it in combination with a Realtek RTL8111E using my Realtek driver.

Mieze

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've had an annoying problem for quite some time now, but it only happens when downloading so I've lived with it. Everytime I downloaded large files with Ethernet for example 20gb game from GOG and left the download running and came back the computer had restarted. I noticed that when Safari is downloading for a long time the computer goes to sleep and reboots. I haven't had any problems with sleep previously, only when downloading.

So I noticed today you had updated the driver and gave it a try and it seems to have fixed this problem with Z270N WiFi board. I just wrote this to say thank you Mieze and maybe someone is googling the same problem and finds this helpful.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Amble said:

I've had an annoying problem for quite some time now, but it only happens when downloading so I've lived with it. Everytime I downloaded large files with Ethernet for example 20gb game from GOG and left the download running and came back the computer had restarted. I noticed that when Safari is downloading for a long time the computer goes to sleep and reboots. I haven't had any problems with sleep previously, only when downloading.

So I noticed today you had updated the driver and gave it a try and it seems to have fixed this problem with Z270N WiFi board. I just wrote this to say thank you Mieze and maybe someone is googling the same problem and finds this helpful.

Thank you for the feedback. I received a similar problem report form from vit9696 but I neither can reproduce the issue on my test system, nor do I have a conclusive explanation for it. 

Instead of that I noticed a strange behavior of the power LED during sleep on my test machine. Although the system seems to sleep and wake properly, the power LED stays on in sleep state which indicates, that the machine doesn't manage to complete the transition to sleep state (S3) completely. This never happened before updating to Mojave and it indicates that there is a general power management issue, which may also be related to the crash.

Anyway, it would be helpful if you could provide me a kernel panic report of the machine showing the incident? Are you using Gigabit Ethernet for your LAN? How fast is your internet connection?

I also attach the prebuilt binary (requires Mojave) to this post so that anybody interested in testing version 2.5.0d0 of the driver or having the same problem can try it too. It should also fix the no network after wakeup issue that some users with LM-versions of the NIC reported in the past, as it doesn't release control of the chip during sleep anymore

Mieze

IntelMausiEthernet-V2.5.0d0.zip

Edited by Mieze

22 hours ago, Mieze said:

Thank you for the feedback. I received a similar problem report form from vit9696 but I neither can reproduce the issue on my test system, nor do I have a conclusive explanation for it. 

Instead of that I noticed a strange behavior of the power LED during sleep on my test machine. Although the system seems to sleep and wake properly, the power LED stays on in sleep state which indicates, that the machine doesn't manage to complete the transition to sleep state (S3) completely. This never happened before updating to Mojave and it indicates that there is a general power management issue, which may also be related to the crash.

Anyway, it would be helpful if you could provide me a kernel panic report of the machine showing the incident? Are you using Gigabit Ethernet for your LAN? How fast is your internet connection?

I also attach the prebuilt binary (requires Mojave) to this post so that anybody interested in testing version 2.5.0d0 of the driver or having the same problem can try it too. It should also fix the no network after wakeup issue that some users with LM-versions of the NIC reported in the past, as it doesn't release control of the chip during sleep anymore

Mieze

I'll try this weekend.

On 12/2/2018 at 10:58 PM, Mieze said:

Mieze

I had time do this today. Can you PM me email address where I could send these files? On the Zip I added kernel log (2.4.0 debug version), KP file and screenshot of Ethernet.

On the kernel log 4.12.2018:

17:04 Restart

17:06 Sleep/Wake

17:07 Started the download

17:25 Monitor shuts down when computer goes or tries to go to sleep and then restarts.

I haven't had that sort of problems with power led. Connection is 250Mbit/s. File was about 23Gb and download speed about 11Mb/s. Don't know if it was just GOG having a temporary hiccup but with the 2.5.0 I compiled I got around 20Mb/s about an hour ago.

Edited by Amble
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, millusions said:

hey Mieze,

there is a problem with this driver and static IP.

it seems to kernel panic once a day around 00:20 every day if the IP is static, works perfectly with DHCP

thanks

Please delete system caches and see if it resolves the issue.

Mieze

First of all, if you don't know how to clean the system caches of your Mac OS version, ask Google.

Second, there is no driver problem with static IP addresses because address handling is far beyond the scope of a driver. The driver handles packets, nothing more and nothing less. In case it continues to crash, fix your system.

Mieze

First booting into osx, open terminal and enter the following command.

sudo kextcache -i /

press enter then enter your password if required. That should clean your cache.

Edited by p.H

• 2 weeks later...

@millusions i experience the same problems. Crash reports looks identical.  Not nearly as often as you. It can go weeks without a problem. 

But I use dchp, and still get the problem, so like @Mieze says; Its not a problem of static ip vs dchp. 

However i also use a schedule to sleep. So that we do have in common. 

I could think it is somehow related to power management. 

Kext version: 2.4.1d1

motherboard: asus rog strix z370-g

Hope you have some suggestions @Mieze ? 

I can obviously supply crash reports, if needed, but they look identical to those of @millusions

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Intel I219V7 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet:

Name: ethernet

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x15bc

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1043

Subsystem ID: 0x8672

Revision ID: 0x0010

BSD name: en2

Kext name: IntelMausiEthernet.kext

Version: 2.4.0

Many thanks to Mieze! My intel internet works perfectly after updating to v2.4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, please excuse my lack of knowledge since this is all new to me. When I go and look at the system report (brand new MacBook Pro 13") the kext listed under the ethernet cards section is /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBECM.kext.  Does this mean I cannot use this driver? I am having the problem where it says my cable is not plugged in after sleep. Thanks for your help!

Build:

• Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I
  • CPU: Core i5-9600k (Intel® UHD Graphics 630)
  • Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin BLS2K16G4D240FSC
  • AIO: Cooler Master MasterLiquid LC120E RGB
  • PS: EVGA 550 B3, 80+ Bronze 550W
  • Case: Cooler Master RC-130-KKN1 Elite 130 - Mini-ITX
  • Boot Storage: 1 Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
  • Additional Storage: 2 Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT1000P1SSD8 (2TB RAID 0 via software raid) 1 4TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Mac OS 10.14.3

Issue:

My issue is that my wired network will work fine and then immediately stall. For example, if I go to fast.com after rebooting my Mac, it will jump up to an OK 25Mbps. If I try to run the test again, it will go as high a few Kbps and then fail to complete altogether. Any test is the same—a download starts fast and then stalls, a Youtube video starts playing, then stalls. This stalling will continue until I restart the system altogether. Once I restart the system, it starts over the exact same. I've tried installing the IntelMausiEthernet.kext to the EFI partition as well as to the L/E path with the same result. This happens for both internet and local network activity. I've tried reinstalling, verifying that the IntelMausiEthernet kext is installed, verified that the correct hardware is present in the system report, and verified that the internet works without issue from the BIOS (downloaded firmware update without issue). I've went through the BIOS settings and disabled/enabled items based on the feedback through this mega-thread. I'm not really sure what to try next. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Z390-E Gaming
  • CPU: Core i5-8600k (Intel® UHD Graphics 630)
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 
  • AIO: Corsair H100i V2
  • PS: Seasonic 860W Platinum XP (SS-860XP)
  • Case: NZXT H440 White
  • Boot Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
  • Additional Storage: Samsumg 850 PRO 256GB, Seagate 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda
  • Mac OS: 10.13.6 (17G66)

Issue:

My Issue is that when attempting to use Blizzards Battle.Net Application to download World of Warcraft, the installation package fails constantly saying "Can not communicate with server", while everything else continues to work fine. i honestly dont even know what additional information i could supply to assist with this other than that, sorry. :'(

If the problem is limited to a certain service, a driver error can be ruled out. At first glance looks more like a firewall or routing related issue. Is MSS clamping configured properly? What about the firewall rules? Are all required ports accessible?

no firewall turned on. works fine on windows but not OSX so not a router issue. where do i set MSS on OSX? Google just has windows links. no specific ports turned off, again, works fine on windows, not on mac. Gatekeeper disabled, Wow and Battle.net added to accessability, what im guessing is going on is the same thing that was described on a previous page (Here), where downloading large files craps out the connection... but the fix file you listed was Mojave only. im running High sierra.

I compiled the 2.5.0d0 listed on Github, compiled under High Sierra, and installed. and now i have no internet connection at all. (copied kext into /l/e, sudo kextcace -i /, delete connections under prefpane, reboot) and even more strangely, after reinstalling the one i had that WAS working, i still can not get ethernet back up and running without reinstalling OSX completely from Ground up. im pretty confused.

43 minutes ago, Kazlehoff said:

I compiled the 2.5.0d0 listed on Github, compiled under High Sierra, and installed. and now i have no internet connection at all. (copied kext into /l/e, sudo kextcace -i /, delete connections under prefpane, reboot) and even more strangely, after reinstalling the one i had that WAS working, i still can not get ethernet back up and running without reinstalling OSX completely from Ground up. im pretty confused.

Hi

I don't understand why you've compiled v2.5.0d0 from source. A zip file is posted on this thread. 

Few questions:

• Do you install Clover UEFI/ESP?
  • If yes, install 2.5.0d0 in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other instead of L/E

Uninstall 2.5.0d0 in L/E and repair permissions (you can also rebuild cache...) with KCPM Utility Pro: Here

Edited by Matgen84

@Matgen84 You've probably got a messed up system which prevents the driver to be linked properly against IONetworking. kext. In order to resolve the issue, clean the system caches (this is not the same as the kernel cache, use the search function to find out how to do this) and, after that, recreate the kernel cache.

Mieze 

5 hours ago, Kazlehoff said:

FWIW, I was able to compile 2.5.0d0 with Xcode 9.x for usage on High Sierra. Make sure the target is 10.13, not 10.14. I believe the ZIP posted earlier in the thread is for Mojave only.

• Like 1

Hello, @Mieze.

First, thank you very much for IntelMausiEthernet and for the patch for AQC107.  Both have helped me a lot.

Secondly, I have been using IntelMausiEthernet 2.5.0d for a few weeks and just realized that "Wake for network access" doesn't work with 2.5.0d.  Reverting back to 2.4.0 and it works perfectly.

Again, thanks.

Cheers.

• Like 1