IntelMausiEthernet.kext for Intel onboard LAN

Mieze
1,013 posts in this topic

@Mieze Thanks for joining, and I hear what your sentiments are concerning proper bios settings and ACPI data structures, and I agree entirely. In my case however I have a situation where an add on NIC - DGE-560T - works exceptionally well WOL wise, in an identical bios and  ACPI data environment in which any version of the IntelMausi.kext which I can lay my hands on, just does not, you figure ?

From my vantage point I  believe it to be a kext problem and would not want to change anything in any of my systems to make, what I believe a flawed driver, work in my environment the way it should.

My sentiments are reinforced by the age old adage "if it ain't broken don't fix it"

In my 10 machine environment, comprising any macOS from Big Sur, Monterey as well as Ventura, in multi-boot OC 0.8.3 configurations, WOL/VNC work exceptionally well from anywhere to anywhere.

The attached pictures are examples of a machine that was woken with a standard WOL packet followed by a proper VNC construct and voila 12 seconds after issuing the WOL/VNC construct, the login screen appears. That is what I wish the IntelMausi.kext would also be able to do. Incidentally in Windows 10 environments the onboard Intel i219-V onboard NIC works quite well with WOL/VNC, obviously using the windows driver with the same bios setting that macOS is operating under.

14 hours ago, jpz4085 said:

I assume WOL from sleep has never worked with the i219-V on your Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3. Is that correct?

Yes that is correct, however it also applies to another, Haswell based macOS, hack using  an Intel i217-V onboard NIC instead.  The cure in this case once again was using an add-on DGE-560T NIC. On this particular machine I am however not short of spare PCIe slots. Incidentally in this case Windows is using the same "personality" that it is using for the i219-V NIC on the Skylake mobo.

"If so are you using any ACPI patches that would power down the network controller during sleep to prevent instant wake issues?"

No not at all. On non of my machines, in my particular environment, did I need to action anything to prevent this phenomena, because I have not experienced that yet. 

"You could test whether the kext is even able to set the power mode and Magic Packet filter required for WOL by temporarily enabling wake from S5. That would at least tell us it's really sleep specific."

Done that, but it makes no difference, and this "setting" is also not available in most of the iterations of this kext floating around.

Greetings Henties.

Login screen.png

WOL:VNC dual screen.png

13 hours ago, Henties said:

From my vantage point I  believe it to be a kext problem and would not want to change anything in any of my systems to make, what I believe a flawed driver, work in my environment the way it should.

We'll need to look more closely at your configuration to determine what is causing the issue.

My sentiments are reinforced by the age old adage "if it ain't broken don't fix it"

At this point that only applies to the DGE-560T which is different hardware and different driver but WOL doesn't work on the integrated NIC so clearly that's broken and needs fixed.

Yes that is correct, however it also applies to another, Haswell based macOS, hack using  an Intel i217-V onboard NIC instead.

WOL is working on my Haswell GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK with an i217-V. Again we need to look more closely at your configuration considering it's never worked for you.

I'd suggest opening a separate thread to address these issues and attach the EFI folder for your machine(s) and mention me in the post. System specific troubleshooting is outside the scope of this driver support thread.

Edited by jpz4085

@jpz4085 Thks for your response, will open a new thread as you suggested and as soon as I am back home.

That the DGE-560T uses a different driver is clear, being @Mieze 's version 2.4.2 RealtekRTL8111 kext.

What makes me wandering is that for @Mieze's IntelMausi.kext certain bios settings and ACPI data structures need to be in place for it to function properly, but  these same conditions seem to be irrelevant, as far as her RealtekRTL8111 kext is concerned. To me this just does not make sense, considering my lifelong experience in the telecommunication industry and particular R&D, developing IP based system management software and more.

The "IP stack" that Apple provides is certainly the same for both of @Mieze's kexts, therefore both should work in one and the same environment if coded accordingly.

Environmental rules (API's) for software to function properly, in controlling similar categories of hardware, are universal, it therefore depends on the coder to take that into account when producing software.

I do however acknowledge that our macOS hacking world is far from ideal because API's are generally not published and need to be discovered by trial and error. Also the IntelMausi.kext has been in circulation for many years during which Apple introduced changes requiring the kext to be frequently "patched" to continue to be of use to the community. The IntelMausi.kext presently supports a total of 51 hardware personalities (variations) which is a big ask to make it work properly in conjunction with any NIC of that class one happens to throw at it.

Just my 2 cents, acknowledging that @Mieze 's service to the hacking community has been outstanding, without which basic networking would not have been possible as effortless as we have gotten used to with her kexts.

Greetings Henties

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, i have ASUS PRIME Z790m-PLUS with Intel i219-V id 8086:0DC8

00:1f.6 8086:0dc8 /PC00@0/GLAN@1F,6 = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x6)

There is no such id in the IntelMausi.

Changing the id did not help, it is not in the system settings.

Снимок экрана 2023-04-29 в 16.38.29.png

Снимок экрана 2023-04-29 в 16.39.05.png

19 hours ago, Creo2005 said:

Hi, i have ASUS PRIME Z790m-PLUS with Intel i219-V id 8086:0DC8

00:1f.6 8086:0dc8 /PC00@0/GLAN@1F,6 = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x6)

There is no such id in the IntelMausi.

Changing the id did not help, it is not in the system settings.

Снимок экрана 2023-04-29 в 16.38.29.png

Снимок экрана 2023-04-29 в 16.39.05.png

With new V2.5.3d4 kext from @Slice all work!

IntelMausiEthernet.kext V2.5.3d4.zip

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2023 at 12:20 PM, Creo2005 said:

With new V2.5.3d4 kext from @Slice all work!

Thanks for the test!

Welcome to my fork where I included new 16 Intel chips. Now the version is 2.5.4.

https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/IntelMausiEthernet

The release kext was compiled under Ventura 13.4 with Xcode 14.3 and tested in Mojave 10.14.6 and in the Ventura. It works with my Intel V219 chip.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slice said:

Thanks for the test!

Welcome to my fork where I included new 16 Intel chips. Now the version is 2.5.4.

The release kext was compiled under Ventura 13.4 with Xcode 14.3 and tested in Mojave 10.14.6 and in the Ventura. It works with my Intel V219 chip.

Thank's. Add your repository to OCAT config for update.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 6:26 AM, Slice said:

Thanks for the test!

could you add support for intel 82574L please none of the old kexts work or the patches to make it run native.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it possibly a bug?

I cannot change Duplex in Sonoma 23A5301H using version 2.5.4. It's locked to full-duplex only.

In System Info "There was an error while gathering Ethernet device information."

😊

EDIT

Using the same kext, Clover version and config.plist, everything works as expected in Monterey.

(The NIC is I219-V.)

Edited by Henry2010
  • Confused 1

• 5 months later...