Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

I, personally, prefer builds by the main author for support but as you say everyone has his choice..

No offence, but afair Rehabman too forked VoodooPS2 from someone else. He's not the original creator but maintainer.

...Remember, no one deleted your post or the attachment or the links to the fork so the choice is left to people. I never forced anyone to follow my suggestions and never will...

I agree with onejay15 in this case though. Imo, if the fix works, why not use it? It doesn't matter much if it's from different author since both are open source.

People will usually follow what's written in the guide. They don't even know if there's an alternative unless it's mentioned in the guide or in a recent post. It's always better to have alternatives. :)

Please don't take this the wrong way, following RehabMan is good, but don't do it blindly.

@onejay15,

Thanks for the heads up! I've been away from hackintosh scene for a while now. I think it should work on elan too. Will try.

• Like 1

No offence, but afair Rehabman too forked VoodooPS2 from someone else. He's not the original creator but maintainer.

I agree with onejay15 in this case though. Imo, if the fix works, why not use it? It doesn't matter much if it's from different author since both are open source.

People will usually follow what's written in the guide. They don't even know if there's an alternative unless it's mentioned in the guide or in a recent post. It's always better to have alternatives. :)

Please don't take this the wrong way, following RehabMan is good, but don't do it blindly.

It's true that Rehabman forked VoodooPS2 while ago and it is also true that it's fine to use the updated work instead of Rehabman's. However, I prefer (and this is just me) to use software that is well supported which is what Rehabman able to do. It's not about the quality of the new work or that I follow Rehabman blindly but instead it's following what is well supported. Furthermore, it was me who played a beta tester for weeks with EMlyDinEsH while he was developing SmartTouchPad to get it to work on Synaptics Clickpad (I didn't settle for VoodooPS2 and blindly follow Rehabman, did I?).

With that said, people should use what THEY want to use and not what I prefer to use for MYSELF even though the guide were initially written around my experience. Whether people would follow the guide literally or not it's their choice. I want to stress a statement I put in the very beginning of the guide:

Overview:

• For every step there might be other ways to do it better (or worse). The experts here in this forum may not agree with some of the steps mentioned here. This is what I had to do to get it working for my liking but comments and suggestions are very welcome indeed.

So kindly all, use whatever you want ... inform us if you well of new things (but let us know more details) ... enjoy your hack ... and let us do away from arguing for well ya?

• Like 1

Hey mudman351, I'm also following this guide on my y410p. I have also had no luck with AppleHDA, though I've worked around this by plugging in headphones/speakers. Will report back to you if I solve the audio problem. 

How did you get brightness to work? It does not work on my laptop even with the proper kexts installed. 

Did you move SSDT-HACK-SmartTouchpad.aml (which is in Clover_FULL_EFI_10.10-10.12_SSDT-HACK.zip) into your EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder?  I had that issue even after installing kexts until I added that file into there.  Do not add SSDT-HACK-VoodooPS2.aml into that folder.

heres the thing, im not sure rehabman is in a rush to fix the prefpane issue, hes had a few weeks, and i cant put up with the issues it produces, for another 3 weeks...

were all good here! :thumbsup_anim:

I will give it a try myself while waiting.. Thanks.

@ahmed_ais i need to install the moded bios to i can install new wifi card so i need to know when you changed your bios to moded one have you got any problems or overheated? (sorry for my broken english)

Nope, works OK. Don't mess with the settings. I broke once the laptop.
  • Like 1

I couldn't reproduce any of these issues so far. It's worth noting that I use 10.11.6 and everything is stable. You are using 10.12.1 I guess, aren't you?

Anybody else have these issues under Sierra?

Sorry for the late response, but... Yep I am with 10.12.1 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Did you move SSDT-HACK-SmartTouchpad.aml (which is in Clover_FULL_EFI_10.10-10.12_SSDT-HACK.zip) into your EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder?  I had that issue even after installing kexts until I added that file into there.  Do not add SSDT-HACK-VoodooPS2.aml into that folder.

I did that but brightness still isn't working. Did you manually install everything or use the auto patcher?

can anybody help me, i need someone to zip up a copy of /Library/Sandbox/ please, im having sandbox issues

im on osx sierra

I'm using El Capitan but out of curiosity I thought to check the contents of that folder and found it contain one empty folder named Profiles. Not sure if this is the default for Sierra too. 

can anybody help me, i need someone to zip up a copy of /Library/Sandbox/ please, im having sandbox issues

im on osx sierra

I'm using El Capitan but out of curiosity I thought to check the contents of that folder and found it contain one empty folder named Profiles. Not sure if this is the default for Sierra too. 

I'm using sierra at the moment. There is only one empty folder called Profiles in /Library/Sandbox/.

• 2 weeks later...

I can say only one thing, Ive spent 5 or 6 days in nothing, because of faulty tool... Don't use the tool in the guide(EasyKext Pro) use this one:

Latest Kext Utility macOS "Sierra" Super Speed Edition.

And yep, I did everything right, but the tool didn't install the kext, thats why my keyboard didn't work, that's why my mac didn't boot. Now it works.

Well, now have to fix the sound, but why there is no compiled AppleHDA282.kext?

Edit: Finally everything works fine....

please can you upload your entire efi folder, the one that work

Hey, two videos for now, on how do download and how to create USB flash drive.

Now I am editing and maybe have to create a new one how to install kext files, but till tomorrow they will be done, so hope they would be helpful for some people :)

1. How to Install MacOS Sierra on Lenovo Y510P - Downloading 

2. How to Install MacOS Sierra on Lenovo Y510P - Creating Bootable USB flash drive 

thanks for the tutorial, could you please finish the 3 and 4th, the post install, i always install it without problem, but in the post install, problem always happen,

You have my config.plist and ahmed's SSDT-HACK. Either use my SSDT-HACK or ahmed's config.plist.

For now, i have attached my SSDT-HACK.aml. Replace it with SSDT-HACK-VoodooPS2.aml in your ACPI/patched/ folder.

Note: With my SSDT-HACK you need to use USBInjectall kext from here

Also, attach the output of :

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

@intruder16 thanks for your patience, please can you upload your clover, the one that work with all the kext in it, and how to generate smbios without the use of clover configurator, and is it okay to edit config.plist with textedit(even if it's advised), and does the same clover folder work on el capitan

please can you upload your entire efi folder, the one that work

My EFI folder

First sorry for the delay, I am really busy these days... But yeah here is my EFI folder (well only CLOVER folder, in the EF partition you have to have two folders "apple "and "clover" ). Btw I edited my confing.plist in the zip file, so you need just to generate your own SMBIOS info, but yeah that's my folder and I am using actually sierra as my primary OS, don't know why but I like it a lot.

About the videos, well, will try tomorrow to do it, but don't promise. I record them, but with the wrong tool, that actually didn't do the job, but hell maybe be will edit the videos and will set a label/test which tool to use. Will se, will try my best ;)

Anyone updated to 10.12.2 ?

Edit: Updated successfully to 10.12.2 (16C67) without any issues!

Edit: will try today to upload the 3th and 4th videos tutorials.

Hello,

I need help or at least some clarification.

i was doing "3. Increasing EFI Partition Size" of the guide, and while doing 13-18 points, i probably deleted the partion with windows, because on 22(list vol) i saw that the new EFI is a C disk now, and no disks have volume of my original windows C.
as i understand, now the space that was used by windows is empty and all iformation is erased?

in cmd i see my usb, and i have 2 partions, with 25 gb(it is a SSD part of disk, i have 1tb that is part HDD, part SDD), it was used for virtualiation of android. And another part is X that is 500mb and no sign of anyting of size of my main drive. when i look up partions of my main disk in cmd, i do not see the partion where windows was. 

as someone suggested "winodows 8.1 and later encrypt the drives by default if you use a microsoft account", but when i try to recover windows, it doesnt ask me for password.

when windows tries to repair, it only attempts and goes back to window with options to troubleshoot, use usb etc. and no option works.
and i do not have repair disk. only usb with installation that was needed in the guide to make EFI bigger.

I hope someone can tell me, if my information is gone or not?
i also made raw partion with 800gb(about the size of partion i lost), though maybe i shouldn't have.
please, help T-T

i was doing "3. Increasing EFI Partition Size" of the guide, and while doing 13-18 points, i probably deleted the partion with windows, because on 22(list vol) i saw that the new EFI is a C disk now, and no disks have volume of my original windows C.

as i understand, now the space that was used by windows is empty and all iformation is erased?

The steps 13-18 as you know aim to delete three partitions (~300MB Recovery partition, ~100MB EFI partition, and 128MB MSR (Microsoft Reserved) partition) that are created with default Windows 8.1 installation. OEM manufacturers may have tweaked setup process which can result in different partition layout and therefore one may need to tweak the steps in part 3 of the guide accordingly to keep other needed partitions intact. Did you install Windows by yourself or that's the original setup your laptop came with pre-installed?

In all cases, if you wiped the Windows system partition then you might need to start with installing Windows first (that's, of course, if you need Windows at all). For dual booting Windows and macOS I think it is better to have Windows installed first. 

The steps 13-18 as you know aim to delete three partitions (~300MB Recovery partition, ~100MB EFI partition, and 128MB MSR (Microsoft Reserved) partition) that are created with default Windows 8.1 installation. OEM manufacturers may have tweaked setup process which can result in different partition layout and therefore one may need to tweak the steps in part 3 of the guide accordingly to keep other needed partitions intact. Did you install Windows by yourself or that's the original setup your laptop came with pre-installed?

In all cases, if you wiped the Windows system partition then you might need to start with installing Windows first (that's, of course, if you need Windows at all). For dual booting Windows and macOS I think it is better to have Windows installed first. 

I didn't install Windows myself, it was already there and already updated to Windows 10. 

I had more than 3 partions that were for Recovery(picture attached). And this is what I saw in cmd:

volume 0 c windows main 808 gb
volume 1 d macosx 78gb created space for osx
volume 2 e lenovo ssd 25gb, adnroid

volume 3 winre_drv windows recovery drive 1000mb
!volume 4 g system_drv sys drive 260mb EFI
!volume 5 450mb
!volume 6 350mb
volume 7 pbr_drv 16gb - recovery for??

volume 8 F USB 8gbmoms

volume 9 lrs_esp 1000 mb

I deleted 4, 5 and 6 volume, which resulted in deletion of volume 0 C disk.

I had a lot of stuff on my C, and some info would be nice to recover. I am also worried I cannot install windows because I didn't save a key.

I think maybe while deleting partions I had to "list vol" after each, maybe partions got renamed/rearranged in the process, because I definitely wasn;t deleting volume 0.

Is there a way to undo it maybe?

post-1774873-0-94631000-1482664659_thumb.png

I didn't install Windows myself, it was already there and already updated to Windows 10. 

This is why you have non standard partition layout and the steps should have been edited to match the layout. And I see you had 260MB for EFI partition which could work without the need to delete anything.

I deleted 4, 5 and 6 volume, which resulted in deletion of volume 0 C disk.

When your C volume is listed at index 0, it won't change its index after removing volumes at any other location because its on top of the list. If Windows volume (C at yours) was removed then there have to be something else you did that deleted it. Unless you listed volumes but removed partitions because the partitions order (via list par) is different than volumes order (list vol). In the guide I list and remove partitions so I work with the same order.

I had a lot of stuff on my C, and some info would be nice to recover.

I'm afraid if you deleted the partition you may have lost it especially if you override it with other new partition. If you just deleted the Windows partition but the space is left unmodified then you may be able to restore some of the lost files using partition recovery software like http://www.easeus.com/partition-recovery/.

I am also worried I cannot install windows because I didn't save a key.

You can go ahead and re-install Windows without worrying about the key because it is stored in BIOS and Windows Installer will pick it automatically. However, you need to install the correct version of Windows that match the key stored in your laptop's BIOS. This one works fine here: Windows 10 Home x64 (14393.0.160715-1616.RS1_RELEASE_CLIENTPRO-CORE_OEMRET_X64FRE_EN-GB.ISO), Google it.

Is there a way to undo it maybe?

I'm not aware of possible way to do so. Sorry!

I have a working HDMI on my MacOS Sierra 10.12.2, but only the picture. If I want to stream the sound, I have no option. The OS detects only if I plug in headphones, but doesn't detect the HDMI? 

Am I missing something?

I have a working HDMI on my MacOS Sierra 10.12.2, but only the picture. If I want to stream the sound, I have no option. The OS detects only if I plug in headphones, but doesn't detect the HDMI? 

Am I missing something?

Which version of Clover are you using now?