Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

peace on you,

the only problem that i still facing is that, every time i start windows and shutdown it, i have to remove the battery and tape on power on button for around 8sec to be able to boot up again on osx el capitan, is there any fix to that and sorry for bothering, keep the good work ,and thanks

peace on you,

the only problem that i still facing is that, every time i start windows and shutdown it, i have to remove the battery and tape on power on button for around 8sec to be able to boot up again on osx el capitan, is there any fix to that and sorry for bothering, keep the good work ,and thanks

So you mean that Clover only show on cold boot? and that on restarting Windows your laptop goes directly to Windows again?

Today I received the card wifii + bt bradcom, I installed it but the pc does not boot gives me the message "unauthorized wireless network card is plugged in" I have to mod the Bios? How do I have to reinstall windows to change the bios or is there another method?

Today I received the card wifii + bt bradcom, I installed it but the pc does not boot gives me the message "unauthorized wireless network card is plugged in" I have to mod the Bios? How do I have to reinstall windows to change the bios or is there another method?

That's unfortunate  :(

The problem is that Lenovo put restrictions for many (all?) parts inside such that they can only be swapped with those on a white list created by Lenovo. Below is the white list for Wifi and bluetooth card. Take a note of the FRU number on the right. The card has to have that FRU number sticker on it or else it will not work even if it the same model.

oopDIQz.jpg

The white list lies inside BIOS so you have to use a modded BIOS in order to use any part not on the list. I don't believe you would need to reinstall Windows just for using a modded BIOS. You might need, however, to find other way to activate Windows because you would lose the Windows key stored in your current BIOS.

That's unfortunate  :(

The problem is that Lenovo put restrictions for many (all?) parts inside such that they can only be swapped with those on a white list created by Lenovo. Below is the white list for Wifi and bluetooth card. Take a note of the FRU number on the right. The card has to have that FRU number sticker on it or else it will not work even if it the same model.

oopDIQz.jpg

The white list lies inside BIOS so you have to use a modded BIOS in order to use any part not on the list. I don't believe you would need to reinstall Windows just for using a modded BIOS. You might need, however, to find other way to activate Windows because you would lose the Windows key stored in your current BIOS.

BroadCom AzureWave BCM4352 BCM94352HMB Half Mini PCIe PCI-express 802.11AC 867Mhz Wireless WIFI WLAN Bluetooth Card

This is the card that I bought, I bought the one recommended in this forum. I hope that it will work with sierra.

BroadCom AzureWave BCM4352 BCM94352HMB Half Mini PCIe PCI-express 802.11AC 867Mhz Wireless WIFI WLAN Bluetooth Card

This is the card that I bought, I bought the one recommended in this forum. I hope that it will work with sierra.

I believe it will work with macOS (including Sierra) no problem. But the main issue would be getting it to work at all through BIOS because if it is blacklisted as I told you earlier it won't work at all not only in Windows but also in macOS and Linux.

I believe it will work with macOS (including Sierra) no problem. But the main issue would be getting it to work at all through BIOS because if it is blacklisted as I told you earlier it won't work at all not only in Windows but also in macOS and Linux.

you recommend a card that is accepted by the bios and from sierra?

Hi Allan. Speaking of myself, yes I do ...

Good to know.

I want to know if you have the native brightness keys working with hotpatch. 

I have a Lenovo G480, all the things are working with hotpatch, but I don't know how (RehabMan has teach me to collect the DSDT values with Hex Fiend) to do to get the values and transform it in a patch...

The others patches that I've analised it, and then apply one by one in my config.plist, but I just copy/paste it.

you recommend a card that is accepted by the bios and from sierra?

Yep. This is a link to ebay for the card I bought which I can recommend: ThinkCentre M92 M83 M93 E93 y410p y510p BCM4352 AC WLAN BT4.0 wifi card 03T7135

EDIT: I just noticed that the card in the link now advertised as used so don't rush and think twice and think of the link as an example.

PS. : There is a number of members here who opted for modded BIOS and it worked fine for them. Since you already have a card that works with macOS but not with stock BIOS then I think you should consider flashing the modded BIOS instead of haunting in the market for rare thing or buying used cards.

EDIT2: take a look on this one too: BCM94352 AC BT4.0 Wifi Card F Lenovo ThinkCentre M92 M83 M93 E93 Y410P Y510P Mac

I want to know if you have the native brightness keys working with hotpatch. 

Yes I do .. I have a patch in my SSDT-HACK to fix this.

I have a Lenovo G480, all the things are working with hotpatch, but I don't know how (RehabMan has teach me to collect the DSDT values with Hex Fiend) to do to get the values and transform it in a patch...

I have been there before and Rehabman taught me to use iasl to get the values precisely instead of fiddling with Hex Fiend. He told me to use the "-l" option in iasl to generate a mixed listing of the ACPI file like this iasl -l dsdt.aml and this would create a .lst file contains information about the bits associated with the object we want to rename.

For example, in my DSDT I wanted to rename method _Q12 to XQ12 (i.e. change the underscore to X) so when I press FN + Up Arrow (for brightness UP), the ACPI call _Q12 as usual but won't execute the code in XQ12 (originally was _Q12) and instead execute the alternative _Q12 that I supply in my SSDT-HACK.

Now to the work ... 

After running the command above, it generated a dsdt.dsl (it should create .lst instead as written in the man page for iasl binary but whatever ..). Then we open this file with MaciASL and search for _Q12:

gdQTwtv.png

Here we take a look at the bits 14 49 10 5F 51 31 32 00. Using a Hex-Ascii table, 5F corresponds to _ and 51 -> Q and so 31 -> 1 and 32 -> 2. The other bits represent some formatting within the binary file so we will take them as is without change to make sure we are patching the right area. Therefore, the underscore (5F in hex) needs to be replaced with X (58 in hex) so the needed patch is:

Find   :    14 49 10 5F 51 31 32 00

Replace:    14 49 10 58 51 31 32 00

I hope this helps ...

• Like 1

hey again, just wondering, if there is any solution to my problem, fixing the efi part? or maybe i should reinstall everything(i just afraid it will get only worse if i try)...

no-no, sorry, i didn't mean it is your command. i just messed up again, trying things.
I half the time understand what I'm doing haha. i know i sohuld've not done hackintosh with my lack of knowledge, but i need it for studying, so i keep hitting that wall(with semi-success).

partitions 1 and 2 are mac partitions, i tried to figure out something regarding getting working efi(in another thread and another forum) so i ended up having 2 sierras.
4, 5 and 6 are windows partitions.
7 is EFI, i believe.

the 3d point in "problems" with black screen after sleep, figured that out by now.

also, is there something i could read to understand better cmd/terminal? i mean not just tutorials, but something serious, like CS literature/lecture on youtube, I want to actually understand these, I am not sure what topic should i look for. i remember a friend programmer changed my password on windows in few moments, when i made a password that couldn't get accepted 2nd time because of wrong language used(or something), i'd love to know my way around such stuff, and just generally not to mess things up every time i try something(or mess up a bit less haha).

thanks a lot for your help, you are really patient :)

hey again, just wondering, if there is any solution to my problem, fixing the efi part? or maybe i should reinstall everything(i just afraid it will get only worse if i try)...

Sorry for the late reply. Can you summarize the current problem? I'm starting to get confused because of the updates.

PS: it is OK to hackintosh even if you are not experienced because this way you will learn. You will get confused at times and frustrated at others but eventually you will know your way.

My only problem fan is not working at all,no blowing. What is the problem? I installed Macs Fan Control.app. Could not find fan.

Does it work in Windows? if so, do you have CPU power management working fine in macOS?

So you mean that Clover only show on cold boot? and that on restarting Windows your laptop goes directly to Windows again?

no, after using windows, and shuting down the laptop,with the battery on, if i power on the laptop, it loop on restart, the only way to fix that, is to remove the battery and power cable and push power on button for 8seconds

no, after using windows, and shuting down the laptop,with the battery on, if i power on the laptop, it loop on restart, the only way to fix that, is to remove the battery and power cable and push power on button for 8seconds

I want to narrow down the possibilities. What about:

• RESTARTING from Windows?
  • RESTARTING from macOS?
  • SHUTTING DOWN from macOS?

I want to narrow down the possibilities. What about:

• RESTARTING from Windows?
  • RESTARTING from macOS?
  • SHUTTING DOWN from macOS?

all is ok, except restarting from macos, if i want to restart macOS, i need to shutdown macOS  than poweron the pc again, and like i said before after i shutdown windows or restarting it, if i want to open macOS i need to remove the battery and plug and push power button for 8 sec, thanks

That's ok. My only problem, I can get to OS X only by using the flash drive. My EFI part is used by Windows and, as I understand, is not connected to OS X. I would like to be able to use Sierra without the need of USB and maybe have a choice window, which OS I would like to work with, when I turn the laptop on.

Thanks for kind words, I'm trying to not give up :D

Sorry for the late reply. Can you summarize the current problem? I'm starting to get confused because of the updates.

PS: it is OK to hackintosh even if you are not experienced because this way you will learn. You will get confused at times and frustrated at others but eventually you will know your way.

all is ok, except restarting from macos, if i want to restart macOS, i need to shutdown macOS  than poweron the pc again, and like i said before after i shutdown windows or restarting it, if i want to open macOS i need to remove the battery and plug and push power button for 8 sec, thanks

The behaviour with restarting from macOS is known issue and is documented in he guide:

Issues and What does not work  :thumbsdown_anim: 

• Intel GPU / Restart issue: There is a problem related to graphics occurs when display goes off then on, like when system sleeps and wake or when changing display resolution for example, which results in no display on restart. These events requires re-initialization for the graphic driver but it seems the driver re-initialize incorrectly. As a result, the graphics related memory hold wrong data for some graphic registers which indirectly affects the restart functionality. Once the system is restarted in any of these scenarios, the POST (where Lenovo logo should appear) has no display and so is Clover and beyond if an OS is selected and booted using keyboard blindly. However, this is a graphic driver issue and has nothing to do with power or reboot function itself. Workarounds:
    • If you did not trigger the graphic-restart issue (no display off/on switch) then use Restart function as you wish.
    • If you triggered the graphic-restart issue then use Shutdown instead of Restart and Power on again. It is a good advice anyway not to hot-reboot between different OS's as some devices do not initialize properly.
    • If you triggered the graphic-restart issue and used Restart already and stuck in a black screen, calm down and do not panic. Just know you are on Clover bootloader and control it using keyboard:
      • If you were planning to boot OS X, blindly choose it using keyboard and hit Enter. Now press Ctrl+Shift+Eject to set the display to sleep then press any key and the display will return. [Eject key is mapped to Insert for VoodooPS2Controller.kext users]
      • If you were planning to boot Windows, blindly choose it using keyboard and hit Enter and wait until Windows boots completely. Now press Fn+F1 to set Windows to sleep, then press any key to wake up the machine and display will be back on.

So try not to put screen off/on while you are working with macOS to avoid the issue or deal with it thereafter.

Regarding having to pull out battery after shutting-down/restarting Windows to be able to boot into macOS is the weird thing here. I never had this nor I have any idea why it happens to you  :(

That's ok. My only problem, I can get to OS X only by using the flash drive. My EFI part is used by Windows and, as I understand, is not connected to OS X. I would like to be able to use Sierra without the need of USB and maybe have a choice window, which OS I would like to work with, when I turn the laptop on.

So you have a FAT32 formatted EFI partition that Windows does use to boot from and for some reason macOS don't. What happen if you put the CLOVER folder from your USB into that EFI folder on the HDD EFI partition and press F8 on boot (with USB not connected)? Can you see Clover options listed in the boot menu?