Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

... I got my EFI already is a size of 500 mb. I assume I don't have to do anything to it ...

I believe 500MB is very fine and your assumption is correct. You don't need to do anything else with EFI partition until you finish installation then you put Clover on it.

• Like 1

Hello,

I've searched through this topic for an answer to my question however I could not find it. I'm sorry if this was already answered, however, in your guide you mention that a crucial step to installing OS X is creating a bigger EFI partition on Windows 8.1. I'm on Windows 10 and according to the list of partitions I got my EFI already is a size of 500 mb. I assume I don't have to do anything to it, however, my question is, do I have to do anything to the EFI partition on Windows 10 for OS X to install?

Partition ### Type Size Offset

------------- ---------------- ------- -------

Partition 1 Primary 500 MB 1024 KB

Partition 2 Primary 931 GB 501 MB

Thank you! :)

Bizarre, when I installed Windows 10 I need to increase the EFI part to 500mb. You are shore you have 500mb part? I have windows 10 pro.

Hello again,

Thank you to all the contributors and thank you for writing this guide, you've been more than helpful.

I ran into a few minor issues following your guide, due to slight differences I wasn't prepared for but I managed to resolve them on my own and made sure to follow your guide very carefully. I've successfully installed macOS Sierra and I have Windows 10 on another partition. My EFI partition now has Clover which successfully starts up, detects and boots both systems, however I've now run into an issue that I just cannot figure out and would really appreciate your help!

Issue: [FIXED]

Sierra boots until the loading bar under the Apple logo reaches halfway, then disappears into a dark screen (no cursor) which just sits there for minutes and does nothing.

I used my flash drive and booted Sierra from my hard drive using Clover on my flash drive. When I do that, Sierra boots just fine, however if I use Clover that's on the EFI partition, the issue persists!!

Things tried:

- Booted in safe mode, assuming it might be the kexts that are loaded, however soon after I saw the messages "failed to load kexts because they can't be loaded in safe mode" the text disappeared and I came at a dark screen (no cursor, same issue).

- Also tried verbose mode to see if I can catch anything, but same thing happened. If you'd like I can try to catch the last thing it says before the screen goes dark, or if you could be so kind to tell me how to save a log or make it freeze once it runs into an issue, I would be happy to try.

How'd I fix it?:

I fixed it by installing all the kexts using the utility while booted from flash drive and then using config.plist & patched folder provided by intruder16 and it works now!!! (Using the provided Clover zip in downloads with kexts installed didn't boot, I'm not saying the guide is broken, it just didn't work for me and I don't know why.. had to use provided files by intruder16!) Thank you!

Screenshot! It works! I am super happy! Thank you all! However I still have a few questions:

Do I need to change the serial number with another one and how do I generate a new one? I generated my own serial number along with the other data.

Is there anything else I need to do? Can I log into iCloud? Are there any issues that may arise? Does Siri work? I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm so excited.. :D Also, seems my battery is stuck charging at 71%. It's not moving. (Update on that: Using the battery works as normal - percentage drops as normal - when it's plugged in again it freezes at the % it was left at. e.g. plugging it in at 45% makes it stay at 45%. Issue isn't present on Windows, is the battery not charging or is the % wrong?) I'm wondering if there's a way to check if all kexts are installed and working correctly? I'm worried I haven't polished it out completely.

....How'd I fix it?:

I fixed it by installing all the kexts using the utility while booted from flash drive and then using config.plist & patched folder provided by intruder16 and it works now!!! (Using the provided Clover zip in downloads with kexts installed didn't boot, I'm not saying the guide is broken, it just didn't work for me and I don't know why.. had to use provided files by intruder16!) Thank you!

Great to see you successfully running macOS on first attempt (guessing)  :)

I honestly don't know why you can't boot using config.plist & SSDT's provided by ahmed_ais in OP. I have a bit of different setup, but both my & ahmed's files should work & boot fine afaik. Can you try again with EFI folder from OP?

Screenshot! It works! I am super happy! Thank you all!...

Don't mention it.  :welcomeani:

...Is there anything else I need to do?...

If you followed the guide, no.

...Can I log into iCloud?....

That would require you to generate a "unique" of the following :

1. Serial number (valid one)

2. MLB (Logic Board Serial)

3. ROM

4. SmUUID

You can find a no. of tutorials on these if you search a bit (google "imessage hackintosh).

Note: Do not use "Find my mac" on hackintosh. You could be locked out of your mac if you do this.

...Are there any issues that may arise?...

Why don't you find out and tell me?  :)

....Does Siri work?...

Yes.

.....Also, seems my battery is stuck charging at 71%. It's not moving. (Update on that: Using the battery works as normal - percentage drops as normal - when it's plugged in again it freezes at the % it was left at. e.g. plugging it in at 45% makes it stay at 45%. Issue isn't present on Windows, is the battery not charging or is the % wrong?)....

That shouldn't happen. Works all fine here. If the issue persists, try a clean install. If it still didn't work post your EFI folder & patchmatic extract.

....I'm wondering if there's a way to check if all kexts are installed and working correctly?

Post the output of:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

....I'm worried I haven't polished it out completely.

If everything's working as it should, you don't need to worry. You're doing fine.

Also, i would suggest you to take a learning approach here. Try to learn why you have to use all the hacks. A starting point would be to look at config.plist and determine what each option does and if you need it.

For ex, i don't use "KernelPm=true" in my personal config.plist because i disabled MSR lock in my modded BIOS. But for others it would cause a kernel panic.

In short, you can be absolutely sure if everything's working correctly only if you know what you're doing & why you are doing it.

Wow!  :lol: Thanks for the detailed answer.

Update on battery: Seems to be working now, I'm not sure why it's working or why it wasn't working. All I did was reinstall the Battery kext and reboot.

So far, everything's great. Once Karabiner is updated it will be perfect, the caps-lock issue is annoying.

I bought this device and now I have WiFi. (Was relatively cheap - $9.99 U.S.)

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN823N.html

It does not support Mac OS 10.11 and 10.12, however I installed a different driver -

this one - and it works absolutely perfectly!!

EDIT: [Fixed](I'm leaving it in case someone else encounters this) Very unfortunately.. there's a weird issue. At random points the whole system freezes and you just hear a random short sound every 3 sec., I just hold down the power button and boot back in. I'm not sure why it's happening and I was going to ignore it but happened more than 5 times now. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes after logging in for the system to freeze, sometimes around 40-60 minutes. Normal usage - Safari mostly, Skype is on, nothing else really. FIX: Stop using Safari

I read online that a lot of freezes are linked to Safari, so I completely stopped using it and downloaded Chrome. Will report back.

Update (2 hours later): No crashes. Smooth. The very first day I had this running (yesterday) I used Chrome, then I decided to switch to Safari this morning and the crashes happened tonight. Once I gave up on that browser again and downloaded Chrome, it stopped crashing.

Update (5 hours of usage later): I believe it's safe to assume Safari was the culprit causing the whole system to freeze up. 

Something else: Image

This doesn't bother me at all, I'm just wondering if this is just me?

Post the output of:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Mouse.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Controller.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IntelBacklight.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext CodecCommander.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67013 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA3B for kext AppleMobileDevice.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext AppleHDA282.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIKeyboard.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIBatteryManager.kext

KernelCache ID: F22466502619F72B754918F4E6B66067

symlink("/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel", "/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache") failed 17 (File exists) <createPrelinkedKernel 2795>

24767d9820d2:~ borislavborisov$

Hello there,
I don't know if this is good place to post this but I used your guide, so I know people who follows this post are using same equipment as me.
My problem: my lenovo "lags" and freezes itself. I don't know what is the issue (temperature or some junk in RAM/memory). At first I thought it was only the sierra mac os problem. It happened there 3 times when I was downloading XCode's documentation at installing phase (so that's why I think this might be overheating problem but I am using cooling pad). the screen literally froze. When I unplugged the HDMI and plugged it again and there was only hmmm.. noise(electronics) / snowing on screen / I think the right term is "white noise".  BUT... I played a game on Windows (SLI connected) and the same thing happened. Maybe little less because the sounds in game were looped.

Did anyone suffered from this issue and maybe know the solution?

It is possible to make Siri work on ethernet? When I ask for wether she said to turn on WiFi because she don't no location :).

Siri works fine for me - I'm on Ethernet at home,

although.. asking for weather really doesn't work because she needs a location.

I'm sorry I don't know how this can be fixed.

This guide was quite helpful for installing OS X 10.11 El Capitan on my Lenovo y410p.  Since most of the hardware of the y410p is exactly the same, if not similar to that of a y510p, I thought I might as well give this a go.

Most of the kexts and configurations work on the computer with a few exceptions:

1) The resolution is set to 1920x1080 even though my resolution is 1600x900.  The remaining part of the display is cut off.

As a workaround, I commented out the following in the config.plist file, to disable forced resolution resizing:

<dict>
	<key>Key</key>
	<string>AAPL00,override-no-connect</string>
	<key>Value</key>
	<data>
	AP///////wAw5BYEAAAAAAAXAQSQ
	IxN4ChXVnllQmCYOUFQAAAABAQEB
	AQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBGjaAoHA4H0Aw
	IDUAWcIQAAAZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
	AAAAAAAAAAAA/gBMRyBEaXNwbGF5
	CiAgAAAA/gBMUDE1NldGMS1UTEMy
	AGw=
	</data>
</dict>

This trick still allows backlight to function and HDMI can still properly switch resolutions.  This might be helpful for anyone trying to use resolutions that are not 1920x1080.  I do not know of any possible side effects as a result of doing this.

2) AppleHDA does not produce audio.  While the option to enable and display sound is there and only one output device is listed, the kext may not be configured correctly for this computer.  Either that, or I missed a few steps.

I'm surprised any of this managed to work.  During my free time, I'll try to find a way to configure AppleHDA to work for the y410p.

Someone with 10.12.1 version?

Just updated and my wifi stopped working...

Everything else seems to work. Tried to install the wifi kext again and nothin. Installed the main kext then the wifi still show me that "no hardware installed " when i click on the wifi icon.

Someone with 10.12.1 version?

Just updated and my wifi stopped working...

Everything else seems to work. Tried to install the wifi kext again and nothin. Installed the main kext then the wifi still show me that "no hardware installed " when i click on the wifi icon.

You are not alone in this .. take a look here and hopefully you might fix it. I reverted back to El Capitan while ago as Sierra is buggy so I can't test.

You are not alone in this .. take a look here and hopefully you might fix it. I reverted back to El Capitan while ago as Sierra is buggy so I can't test.

Well, I am not sure what exactly I have to do, but tried to add one ot the search/replace to the config file, but still not working.

post-1377288-0-59755000-1477572726_thumb.png

Edit:

Okay, I've figured it out!

Just add these three patches to your existing config:

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AirPortBrcm4360 - PCI Error 1</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				QTnEdRs=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AirPortBrcm4360</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				QTnEZpA=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AirPortBrcm4360 - PCI Error 2</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				QQ+3zTnBdQw=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				QQ+3zTnBZpA=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AirPortBrcm4360 - PCI Error 3</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				g33EBHQG
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				g33EBGaQ
				</data>
			</dict>

And voila, wifi is working again!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this great guide.

Newbie here, I have never used MacOS before and this guide will be the my first.

EDIT: I solved  the problems I have written.

Nice job  :thumbsup_anim:

Only thing left is serial number, I can't login to App Store.

Try to generate one using Clover Configurator (only the serial number or SMBIOS, don't use this tool to edit your config.plist)

here is an updated voodoops2 kext for the new sierra trackpad preference pane

it works fine on my synaptics trackpad cant say itll work on elan though

I think this is not new as the latest build by Rehabman dates to 16/6/2016 with version 1.8.24 which allowed the kext to load and work on Sierra. However, the pref pane problem is there using v1.8.24 the last time I checked. And no, Elantech touchpads are not supported by Rehabman's kext.

Thanks for helping people though, keep up  :)

it is actually newer, if you had checked the forks of rehabmans voodoo-ps2-controller on github ull notice someone by the name of "usr-sse2" rehabman is reviewing the pull requests he made to rehabman's github, but untill he accepts the changes the kext i posted is the same thing. 

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/pull/90

a user by the name of tluck compiled the kext with the mentioned commit and posted it here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/page-150?do=findComment&comment=2313522

do you know much about code?

i used to develop android roms for the sensation xl

https://github.com/onejay09

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2574304

before you jump down peoples neck take some time to look into the information please, your extremely condescending and my information is accurate otherwise i wouldnt bother posting it

Confirmed working trackpad preference pane with this new voodoo-ps2-controller kext

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=203917

I have some problems when pc woke up after a sleep, sometimes bluetooth isn't working by this I mean that shows is not installed, sometimes sound not working if I am using headphones and put the pc to sleep and then wake it up there is no sound, I have to unplug the headphones to get the sound back. Same as camera driver, after a wake up, trying to make a video call on skype is not working - camera isn't working.

it is actually newer, if you had checked the forks of rehabmans voodoo-ps2-controller on github ull notice someone by the name of "usr-sse2" rehabman is reviewing the pull requests he made to rehabman's github, but untill he accepts the changes the kext i posted is the same thing. 

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/pull/89

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/pull/89/commits

do you know much about code?

i used to develop android roms for the sensationxl

https://github.com/onejay09

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2574304

do your research ahmed

First, I actually did my research very good and I know what I'm talking about. I only consider the announcements by Rehabman himself after he review the changes and include them. You are free to use whatever fork you want or pre-release versions but I only speak of released things.

How much do I know about code? pretty much but this is not the place to brag about skills. This place is for people who want to help, politely.

So you have a resume of your own? good for you but I could not care less.

This is the second time for you to be aggressive (with me at least) without reason, calm down man, we are here to help each other and nothing else. 

I have some problems when pc woke up after a sleep, sometimes bluetooth isn't working by this I mean that shows is not installed, sometimes sound not working if I am using headphones and put the pc to sleep and then wake it up there is no sound, I have to unplug the headphones to get the sound back. Same as camera driver, after a wake up, trying to make a video call on skype is not working - camera isn't working.

I will check and get back to you.

• Like 1

except you slated me and wrote my post off as inaccurate, which isnt the case. 

i thought it nesessary to show creds as you seem to talk down to people and to be honest im not having you think you can school me.

ill be calm when people speak to me like im a person not an ideot.

i was only trying to help people and you cant seem to handle the fact you were wrong. its sad it really is

please tell me how this is an older version?

Screen_Shot_2016_11_08_at_22_19_55.png

except you slated me and wrote my post off as inaccurate, which isnt the case. 

i thought it nesessary to show creds as you seem to talk down to people and to be honest im not having you think you can school me.

ill be calm when people speak to me like im a person not an ideot.

i was only trying to help people and you cant seem to handle the fact you were wrong. its sad it really is

please tell me how this is an older version?

No it could be newer build of a different fork as you said later. I did not try to download your attachment and instead headed over Rehabman's repo and found no updates over there. You know already that anyone can fork a repo and make some changes but I only care when the main repo is updated as I trust Rehabman's build to be thoroughly tested and less buggy. Therefore, there is no new version of the kext provided by Rehabman but there will be in future (which may or may not include the changes in that fork). You will of course use whatever you want and everyone should do as well.

I'm very open to being proved wrong to learn and offer better help. However, you should have mentioned where you attached the kext that it is not mainstream and could have bugs and is not supported by Rehabman or most people at the moment. You did not make that clear and I assumed you are talking about mainstream builds and found no updates yet.

You still talk aggressively without a good reason but I never talked to you or anybody else as idiot. You and everybody in this community are most respected and welcome. Kindly calm down as nothing is worth being nervous here.

• Like 1

This guide was quite helpful for installing OS X 10.11 El Capitan on my Lenovo y410p.  Since most of the hardware of the y410p is exactly the same, if not similar to that of a y510p, I thought I might as well give this a go.

Most of the kexts and configurations work on the computer with a few exceptions:

1) The resolution is set to 1920x1080 even though my resolution is 1600x900.  The remaining part of the display is cut off.

As a workaround, I commented out the following in the config.plist file, to disable forced resolution resizing:

<dict>
	<key>Key</key>
	<string>AAPL00,override-no-connect</string>
	<key>Value</key>
	<data>
	AP///////wAw5BYEAAAAAAAXAQSQ
	IxN4ChXVnllQmCYOUFQAAAABAQEB
	AQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBGjaAoHA4H0Aw
	IDUAWcIQAAAZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
	AAAAAAAAAAAA/gBMRyBEaXNwbGF5
	CiAgAAAA/gBMUDE1NldGMS1UTEMy
	AGw=
	</data>
</dict>

This trick still allows backlight to function and HDMI can still properly switch resolutions.  This might be helpful for anyone trying to use resolutions that are not 1920x1080.  I do not know of any possible side effects as a result of doing this.

2) AppleHDA does not produce audio.  While the option to enable and display sound is there and only one output device is listed, the kext may not be configured correctly for this computer.  Either that, or I missed a few steps.

I'm surprised any of this managed to work.  During my free time, I'll try to find a way to configure AppleHDA to work for the y410p.

Hey mudman351, I'm also following this guide on my y410p. I have also had no luck with AppleHDA, though I've worked around this by plugging in headphones/speakers. Will report back to you if I solve the audio problem. 

How did you get brightness to work? It does not work on my laptop even with the proper kexts installed. 

I couldn't reproduce any of these issues so far. It's worth noting that I use 10.11.6 and everything is stable. You are using 10.12.1 I guess, aren't you?

Anybody else have these issues under Sierra?

No it could be newer build of a different fork as you said later. I did not try to download your attachment and instead headed over Rehabman's repo and found no updates over there. You know already that anyone can fork a repo and make some changes but I only care when the main repo is updated as I trust Rehabman's build to be thoroughly tested and less buggy. Therefore, there is no new version of the kext provided by Rehabman but there will be in future (which may or may not include the changes in that fork). You will of course use whatever you want and everyone should do as well.

I'm very open to being proved wrong to learn and offer better help. However, you should have mentioned where you attached the kext that it is not mainstream and could have bugs and is not supported by Rehabman or most people at the moment. You did not make that clear and I assumed you are talking about mainstream builds and found no updates yet.

You still talk aggressively without a good reason but I never talked to you or anybody else as idiot. You and everybody in this community are most respected and welcome. Kindly calm down as nothing is worth being nervous here.

the fork is from the latest version on github, then fixed up. whether you personally care whether its "official" or not the kext is there for everybody to try for themselves not just you.

next time please be more clear so people can have a direction to follow.

if you feel like i was aggressive i appologise that wasnt my intention

... whether you personally care whether its "official" or not the kext is there for everybody to try for themselves not just you ...

I, personally, prefer builds by the main author for support but as you say everyone has his choice. Remember, no one deleted your post or the attachment or the links to the fork so the choice is left to people. I never forced anyone to follow my suggestions and never will.

if you feel like i was aggressive i appologise that wasnt my intention

No worries. I too want to apologize if my responses left an unpleasant impressions. Thanks for mentioning the fork, I like that preference pane.