Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

That's exactly why i went straight to clean install. It's a painful to see most of the programs not compatible and uninstall or find updates. I installed it on my only El Capitan partition (after format) and would've surely lost access to mac if it didn't install or gave any errors. But i was feeling rather confident that it would work and it did.

And here's an additional benefit of clean install: the upgrade process removed the 4.77GB installer I spent big time downloading just after it is done. I don't have a bootable disk for Sierra and I will have have to download it again.

Ā 

As per mounting ntfs r/w, you can use NTFS-3G for the time being. It's not as efficient as Paragon or Tuxera performance wise but it gets the job done (and it's free). Use Homebrew to install it.

I already paid for Paragon so its best to continue with them. They have updated the software and the new version works now (only if I knew that before I upgrade).

Ā 

Ā 

Oh. Thanks for the link. AppleHDA didn't work for me after using your script (maybe because of a clean install). I did edit your script to support Sierra but I forgot almost everything about AppleHDA and how i made it work. So i just went ahead with the "easy" choice and used "AppleHDA Patcher 1.5". There's 1 problem with it though, "ambient noise reduction" doesn't seem to work. Siri doesn't seem to hear me even when i am 2 feet away from mic. I'll surely take a look at it later.

You are not the first to note that the script is not working. I made the small edit to allow it to work for Sierra and gave it a shot. First I removed the previous dummy kext and cleared cache then rebooted to make sure audio is broken. Next I ran the script and it went fine apart from this:

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA282.kext: Operation not permitted

This line does not bother me as it is related to SIP which I have disabled but WTF. Anyway, a reboot after the script is done fixed the audio again. I still don't need the additional AppleHDA patch and the script pretend to be working as usual. I'm eager, though, to look for easier methods to drop this script and I believe there are some out there.

And here's an additional benefit of clean install: the upgrade process removed the 4.77GB installer I spent big time downloading just after it is done. I don't have a bootable disk for Sierra and I will have have to download it again....

Ā 

Hahahaha. I'm sorry you lost the app. That happened to me once a long time ago. Since then i always copy it as soon as the download completes.

Ā 

Ā 

...You are not the first to note that the script is not working. I made the small edit to allow it to work for Sierra and gave it a shot. First I removed the previous dummy kext and cleared cache then rebooted to make sure audio is broken. Next I ran the script and it went fine apart from this:

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA282.kext: Operation not permitted

This line does not bother me as it is related to SIP which I have disabled but WTF. Anyway, a reboot after the script is done fixed the audio again. I still don't need the additional AppleHDA patch and the script pretend to be working as usual. I'm eager, though, to look for easier methods to drop this script and I believe there are some out there.

Ā 

I tried it again and it worked indeed. I may have used wrong patches in clover before. I don't remember any of this stuff anyway :D.

Ā 

The "ambient noise reduction" check box still doesn't stick but i think it is working. Can you confirm?

Hahahaha. I'm sorry you lost the app. That happened to me once a long time ago. Since then i always copy it as soon as the download completes.

Yea that's the best thing, I will do that next time ... what an idiot I was.

Ā 

I tried it again and it worked indeed. I may have used wrong patches in clover before. I don't remember any of this stuff anyway :D.

That's great to know.

Ā 

Ā 

The "ambient noise reduction" check box still doesn't stick but i think it is working. Can you confirm?

It works fine here. I tried unchecking it then relaunched SP and it was not checked. Checked it again and relaunched SP and found it checked so its fine here.

85451b0370429f85.png

Ā 

Guide have been updated to include macOS Sierra 10.12Ā  :thumbsup_anim:Ā 

A lot of changes have been made, most notably changing the way we used to patch our DSDT and SSDT to the new method SSDT-HACK (credits to Rehabman for the idea and support). From now on, no need to extract the native tables and to attempt patching them manually or using helper tools as SSDT-HACK method allow us to patch the tables on-the-fly (hot-patching) using pre-made auxiliary SSDT(s) and some settings in config.plist. This make the post-installation process much much easier.

Ā 

Happy Hacking !!

• Like 2

Ā 

85451b0370429f85.png

Ā 

Guide have been updated to include macOS Sierra 10.12Ā  :thumbsup_anim:Ā 

A lot of changes have been made, most notably changing the way we used to patch our DSDT and SSDT to the new method SSDT-HACK (credits to Rehabman for the idea and support). From now on, no need to extract the native tables and to attempt patching them manually or using helper tools as SSDT-HACK method allow us to patch the tables on-the-fly (hot-patching) using pre-made auxiliary SSDT(s) and some settings in config.plist. This make the post-installation process much much easier.

Ā 

Happy Hacking !!

Ā 

Finally eh :D Was waiting for a good while

Workarounds for macOS Sierra Issues

Touchpad Prefpan and its Settings [mostly for VoodooPS2Controller users]

Ā 

Trackpad Prefpan for 10.12 is broken and will only show blank window. There's a workaround to get the window contents visible again by replacing the whole trackpad prefpan with a working one. The trackpad prefpan from 10.11 is working fine so if you still have a setup of 10.11 around or the installer app you might be able to extract the prefpan and put it in /System/Library/PreferencePanes.Ā Even with this fix the prefpan will not save touchpad settings between reboots, unfortunately, and we have to open System Preferences > Trackpad every time we boot into macOS so it gets activated then we set the settings again for it to work.Ā 

Ā 

To fix this one there are two suggestions. The first of them was my idea to automate opening System Preferences and setting the touchpad on reboot by using an AppleScript to do the following:

1. Silently (not visible) Open Trackpad Prefpan in System Preferences and uncheck "Clicking"
  2. Close System Preferences
  3. Silently (not visible) Re-open Trackpad Prefpan in System Preferences and check "Clicking", "Dragging", "Use two finger ...", "Allow horizontal scrolling" and "Tap trackpad using two fingers ..." ............................................ [these are the options I usually set]
  4. Close System Preferences again

Why do steps 1 & 2? because at least on my machine after boot the prefpan does not show all controls:

26bacc7c52dc06b6.png

Unchecking "Clicking" and reopening the prefpan restore all the controls. Anyway, here's the script:

d6fcf00f7096d9e0.png

Ā 

This code should be pasted into AppleScript then export the document to an Application (signing it is recommended) but I have attached this here already. The application should then be added to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Accessibility; to allow it to run. Now after boot we can run this app once to restore trackpad settings. Better yet is to add the app to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items; so it runs automatically on login.

This could look as a lot of work but actually it is very simple to use and work very well and all in the background.

Ā 

Ā 

The second suggestion, by Rehabman, is to ignore the whole prefpan completely and change the settings directly. This work by utilizing his tool 'ioio' which allow putting a value to setting as we like like this to enable dragging:

./ioio Dragging 1

This way, we can have a few commands to set the desired settings and then to have them executed on boot we create a Launch Deamon that load on login and execute the commands. I like this idea but the fact that changing settings this way does not reflect changes in the prefpan (i.e. prefpan will not be updated with the settings) is a deal breaker for me. Yes the functionality is the most important but I like to have a system that look and work like a real mac.

ResetTrackpadSettings.zip

• Like 2

Hey!

Ā 

@ahmed_ais:Ā I see that the new Clover Hotpatch method has been added. I've tried it and it works pretty well. Looking through them i saw some obsolete patches & I've a few suggestions for improvements:

Ā 

1. The SSDT files you have uploaded containing the patches have 1 patch that does nothing. It is this section:

Scope (_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.VPC0)
    {
        Method (MHCF, 1, NotSerialized)
        {
            Store (Arg0, Local0)
            And (Local0, 0x60, Local0)
            ShiftRight (Local0, 0x05, Local0)
            Store (Local0, BFUC)
            Sleep (0x14)
            Return (Local0)
        }
    }Ā 

I had created that patch (here) to fix compilation errors. It is not needed in Hotpatching.

Ā 

2. I see that you have added IGPU, HDMI etc property injections through "Devices/Arbitary" in config.plist. Frankly, it makes config.plist more cluttered & difficult to browse. As a solution you can also inject them through SSDT which will keep the config.plist clutter free and nearly all hacks in one SSDT. You can take a look at my Hotpatch files here for reference.

Ā 

3. I think DTGP methods can also be removed since we don't use any patch that uses it.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I have updated the Auto-Patcher just in case. I don't use it anymore since i'm using my own Clover Hotpatch patch filesĀ but still keeping it updated.Ā  :)

Ā 

Auto-Patcher for Y510p

Ā 

MyĀ Clover HotpatchesĀ for educational puropses only. (Keep in mind though, i've only created them yesterday and worked on them for a few hours, so i've not tested them for long).

Ā 

• Like 1

Hey!

Ā 

@ahmed_ais:Ā I see that the new Clover Hotpatch method has been added. I've tried it and it works pretty well. Looking through them i saw some obsolete patches & I've a few suggestions for improvements:

Ā 

1. The SSDT files you have uploaded containing the patches have 1 patch that does nothing. It is this section:

I had created that patch (here) to fix compilation errors. It is not needed in Hotpatching.

Ā 

3.Ā I think DTGP methods can also be removed since we don't use any patch that uses it.

Actually, I started the work on SSDT-HACK by mapping all the patches used in auto-patcher assuming nothing harm to add all of them (although few patches were just not possible with SSDT-HACK). But you are right, useless patches should be removed.

Ā 

Ā 

2. I see that you have added IGPU, HDMI etc property injections through "Devices/Arbitary" in config.plist. Frankly, it makes config.plist more cluttered & difficult to browse. As a solution you can also inject them through SSDT which will keep the config.plist clutter free and nearly all hacks in one SSDT. You can take a look at my Hotpatch files here for reference.

Yes at first I had these properties inside the SSDT but I have seen many SSDT-HACK projects do otherwise (i.e use config.plist for devices properties). Take a look on Rehabman's repo for Y50 hereĀ or Z50 there for examples. I just tried to follow the trend.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I have updated the Auto-Patcher just in case. I don't use it anymore since i'm using my own Clover Hotpatch patch filesĀ but still keeping it updated.Ā  :)

Ā 

Auto-Patcher for Y510p

Ā 

MyĀ Clover HotpatchesĀ for educational puropses only. (Keep in mind though, i've only created them yesterday and worked on them for a few hours, so i've not tested them for long).

Great, it is always welcome to have more options especially for anyone who want to learn more. Keep up!Ā  :thumbsup_anim:

....Yes at first I had these properties inside the SSDT but I have seen many SSDT-HACK projects do otherwise (i.e use config.plist for devices properties). Take a look on Rehabman's repo for Y50 hereĀ or Z50 there for examples. I just tried to follow the trend. ....

Ā 

I guess it's personnel preference.

Ā 

I was checking my CPU p-states and found out that iGPU seems to be stuck at 750 MHz. Are you facing the same issue?

I was checking my CPU p-states and found out that iGPU seems to be stuck at 750 MHz. Are you facing the same issue?

Ā 

DĆ©jĆ  vu !!!

Ā 

We both had the same conversation before but with chair replaced. Take a look here posts 21-25 and I suggest you benchmark with this site: Ā http://www.fishgl.com/. However, even with that GPU power demanding site, the results obtained by AppleIntelInfo show the sameĀ IGPU Current Frequency (550 here vs 750 at yours).Ā 

IGPU Info:
------------------------------------------
IGPU Current Frequency...................:Ā  550 MHz
IGPU Minimum Frequency...................:Ā  200 MHz
IGPU Maximum Non-Turbo Frequency.........:Ā  400 MHz
IGPU Maximum Turbo Frequency.............: 1150 MHz
IGPU Maximum limit.......................: No Limit

Intel Power Gadget show the actual frequency and once the site is loaded I can see the frequency bump up from 550 to 1150.Ā 

5eaf672d47c1096e.pngb8d80a3a9a1db9ef.png

I'm not sure if this a bug in AppleIntelInfo or that it is a terminology misunderstanding by us. But anyway GPU frequency is not stuck for sure but the question is, why it does not work at minimum frequency anytime? during general workload the frequency at my machine is always 550MHz until more GPU is needed then it bumps. Why the GPU actual minimum is 550 (750 for you) while it should be 200 by design? this results in more power consumption and more heat without need.

DĆ©jĆ  vu !!!

Ā 

We both had the same conversation before but with chair replaced. Take a look here posts 21-25 and I suggest you benchmark with this site: Ā http://www.fishgl.com/. However, even with that GPU power demanding site, the results obtained by AppleIntelInfo show the sameĀ IGPU Current Frequency (550 here vs 750 at yours). ...

Ā 

Lol. Funny thing is i don't remember any of that.Ā 

Ā 

It does boost to 1150 MHz while benchmarking (with the link you provided) but afterwards it again seems to be stuck on 750 MHz.

Ā 

The 500 vs 750 difference we are getting has to be due to different SMBIOS (yours is MBP 11,1 and min is MBP 11,2).

Ā 

There no other way to confirm it since we are the only 2 people using this laptop with hackintosh it seems.

Lol. Funny thing is i don't remember any of that.Ā 

Ā 

It does boost to 1150 MHz while benchmarking (with the link you provided) but afterwards it again seems to be stuck on 750 MHz.

Ā 

The 500 vs 750 difference we are getting has to be due to different SMBIOS (yours is MBP 11,1 and min is MBP 11,2).

Ā 

I thought to check the frequency on Windows and I was surprised that macOS driver performs better, apparently. Using Intel Power Gadget on Windows 10 with power-saving profile active show persistent IGPU frequency of 600MHz even with the benchmark website open it does not bump. Once switched to high-performance power profile, however, the IGPU frequency is goes up to 1150MHz and it does not change at all.

45113ddbe888c586.png

Another note, since Windows driver can only reach 600MHz minimum frequency then this is around the actual/real minimum. This answers why macOS (using SMBIOS MBP11,1) can only reach as low as 550MHz and the 200MHz reported by AppleIntelInfo.kext as frequency minimum may only be theoretical or that it can only be achieved on special occasions that I'm not aware of. I would suggest that you check with Windows and see if things are different.

Ā 

... we are the only 2 people using this laptop with hackintosh it seems.

I feel this too but that's good actually !! I spend more time writing and formatting here than I do to get things done !Ā 

I feel this too but that's good actually !! I spend more time writing and formatting here than I do to get things done !Ā 

Ā 

Well, some of us don't have free time to test, try and for me to use more macOS. But anyway, yesterday I tried to create a bootable (usb flash drive) with MacOS Sierra from VM with El Capitan, and I didn't find the option "restore" in disk utility. Well, I have made a video before how to do that and I saw that in the video with Yosemite things are different. Well I can run Yosemite and to create a bootable usb, but I want to do it somehow from Yosemite or Sierra(I think because is the newest things are like El Capitan), so where is that option, or what I have to do, to make this step with El Capitan or Sierra?

Ā 

Thanks for the updates in the thread and keeping up informed with the new patches, what works/not and so on!

Cheers and see ya soon :)

Well, some of us don't have free time to test, try and for me to use more macOS.

We all have our personal lives and our work or business. But when I do this without any feedback from the users it might mean that no one use it anymore or people want to take without giving (a feedback) which all sum to stop at some point. The interaction of the community members and sharing knowledge between themselves is what makes it a community.

Ā 

Ā 

... so where is that option, or what I have to do, to make this step with El Capitan or Sierra?

You mean this one? that's from Sierra.

d91c2b9e7e03ca2f.png

Cheers

Yep this one, but hmm I don't have it.Ā 

attachicon.gifno-restore-option.png

Ā 

In Yosemite:

attachicon.gifrestore-option-yosemite.png

Ā 

You can always use Terminal.

mkdir /tmp/install_esd

hdiutil attach "/Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg" -readonly -mountpoint /tmp/install_esd -nobrowse

sudo asr restore -source /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.dmg Ā -target /Volumes/install_osx -erase -format HFS+ -noprompt

diskutil rename "OS X Base System" install_osx

rm /Volumes/install_osx/System/Installation/Packages

cp -a /tmp/install_esd/Packages /Volumes/install_osx/System/Installation

cp -a /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.dmg /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/install_osx

hdiutil detach /tmp/install_esd

rmdir /tmp/install_esd

At last install clover.

With the terminal:

hdiutil attach "/Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg" -readonly -mountpoint /tmp/install_esd -nobrowse
hdiutil: attach failed - Resource busy

and
Ā 
Failed to rename volume: Invalid request (-69886)

Ā 

Ā 

Clover (the one linked in the first post), failed to install, too!

Yep this one, but hmm I don't have it.Ā 

I like the terminal commands that intruder16 suggests even if it didn't work out with you yet. But I will focus on that missing Restore option instead. It is very possible that you removed the button from the toolbar so try to right click beside the remaining buttons and select "Customize Toolbar ..." and hopefully from there you could drag the "Restore" button back to the toolbar. Another suggestion is to use the Edit menu as it should have a "Restore" entry once you select a volume. Alternatively, you could press Shift+Command+R as a shortcut to that menu entry.

Ā 

EDIT: you could also right click any volume and select Restore from the context menu ...

Ā 

Ā 

With the terminal:

hdiutil: attach failed - Resource busy

and

Failed to rename volume: Invalid request (-69886)

Try to unmount InstallESD.dmg before issuing these commands.

• Like 1

With the terminal:

Ā 

Clover (the one linked in the first post), failed to install, too!

Ā 

Try this:

sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume Ā /Volumes/install_osx --applicationpath "/Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app" --nointeraction

It cannot get any more easier than this. BTW, this is the recommended method to create USB installers (as you do in real Mac's). This will also create a Recovery HD while installing.

Ā 

IMP: While installing macOS with the above method, after the first reboot choose your TARGET partition in clover (not the USB).

• Like 1

Well, after boot and choosing sierra installer, it shows apple logo, then loads almost to the end (like 90% loaded), and then stops there.I waited for 15 min and nothing. What could be wrong?

I created the installer step by step like the old one to the step that I have manually edit .config files of clover, the difference here that we have to download and copy your folder, right?

Well, after boot and choosing sierra installer, it shows apple logo, then loads almost to the end (like 90% loaded), and then stops there.I waited for 15 min and nothing. What could be wrong?

I created the installer step by step like the old one to the step that I have manually edit .config files of clover, the difference here that we have to download and copy your folder, right?

So if I understand correctly the setup did not start just yet? if so, try again in verbose more and see where the boot stuck. You don't have to use my folder if you already installed Clover on the USB but make sure that you installed a recent version of Clover (so that Sierra is supported) and to use theĀ LATEST versions of FakeSMC and VoodooPS2Controller.

Well, I forgot to copy these files, but I checked now, in "4. Preparing OS X USB Installer" you only have mentioned the files, but in the guide there is no info where and when to copy them to the usb?