Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

those who have already installed, sierra, would any one of you please share, their efi folder and the list of kext, they used, it would be great, and thanks 

The same folder in the downloads section(Clover_FULL_EFI_10.10-10.12_SSDT-HACK) will do just fine. Just download all the kexts in the downloads section and install them(using kext wizard or some thing similar), Reboot your mac(hack) will work seamlessly.

Has anyone tried the high sierra? 

I tried it but when the reboot happens to install the update no installer or anything popped up. It just booted up into macOS10.12.6 like nothing ever happened. 

• Like 1

This is unfortunate. However, I suggest you start clean. Reinstall while wiping OS X partition and literally follow the guide here and you will have the results you want. If you have the same hardware as I do, you should expect to have the same output if you follow exactly the same steps.

Note: you don't need to make multiple quotes, just quote what is relevant and nothing more to keep the topic clean. Thanks.

The same folder in the downloads section(Clover_FULL_EFI_10.10-10.12_SSDT-HACK) will do just fine. Just download all the kexts in the downloads section and install them(using kext wizard or some thing similar), Reboot your mac(hack) will work seamlessly.

I tried it but when the reboot happens to install the update no installer or anything popped up. It just booted up into macOS10.12.6 like nothing ever happened. 

I have started a clean installation. Super clean...

Placed the SSDT-Hack Clover to EFI, Installed Kext to /S/L/E using kext wizard (because before this used easykext utility but didn't work)

But still having same problem, everything working except audio....

Then I saw here, just realise that quarter increment of volume and brightness is a feature of mac os

2. I reeeaaally love RehabMan's VoodooPS2 driver for keyboard because: the FN key works correctly, the sound and brightness buttons works normally (instead of increasing/decreasing volume by 1/4

I think I need to use VoodooPS2 to fix this but I cant use gesture like macbook with smarttouchpad because they are not compatible with each other...

haihhhh  :( 

Placed the SSDT-Hack Clover to EFI, Installed Kext to /S/L/E using kext wizard (because before this used easykext utility but didn't work)

Then I saw here, just realise that quarter increment of volume and brightness is a feature of mac os

2. I reeeaaally love RehabMan's VoodooPS2 driver for keyboard because: the FN key works correctly, the sound and brightness buttons works normally (instead of increasing/decreasing volume by 1/4

I think I need to use VoodooPS2 to fix this but I cant use gesture like macbook with smarttouchpad because they are not compatible with each other...

about the audio, did you go to https://github.com/ahmed-ais/Y510p-OSX-AppleHDAand follow the steps ? Also did you install codeccommander.kext

If you have done all these steps try sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u / in the terminal(Mentioned by ahmed_ais)

Once you realize that this is a hackintosh and that once upon a time this laptop did not even have the basic stuff like proper graphics, you will get over the small things like that. I'm sorry to call it small things but when you say "everything working except audio", I thought you have a problem getting audio to work then it turns out that audio is actually working on your setup but you just don't like the way volume is changed. This is something a real mac user may complain about (or not) but for a hackintosher, I don't think so.

Regarding kexts, use whichever one that will give you the nicer results. Totally up to you.

• Thanks 1

So, Here is how to update to HighSierra(10.13):
Download the EFI folder from here https://mega.nz/#F!lrowGCrI!e8wi2AQXAGHIgmmDHOpcZg.Paste it inside the EFI partition.

Download the High Sierra app from the app store.

Open it and follow the instructions in the app. You will be prompted to restart.

Restart the system you will now see a new "Install macOS High Sierra" option. Press enter.

Now the installation will begin it will take around 1 - 1.5 hours. Your keyboard and trackpad won't work so plug it a usb keyboard/ mouse if you want to see the installation progress(Display will turn off after a certain period of time). 

After the installation finishes the system will Reboot. 

You will be prompted to share analytic data with developers and the next slide will be setting up mac(functionality of the keyboard and trackpad will be restored).

You will now have a perfectly working mac with highSierra

About the update:

The first 3 - 4 cold boots will be slow and the OS itself will feel slower but everything will heal with the passage of time.

The audio won't work out of the box so use sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u / in the terminal and reboot. This will restore the audio.

Apart from that everything else works.

Once you realize that this is a hackintosh and that once upon a time this laptop did not even have the basic stuff like proper graphics, you will get over the small things like that. I'm sorry to call it small things but when you say "everything working except audio", I thought you have a problem getting audio to work then it turns out that audio is actually working on your setup but you just don't like the way volume is changed. This is something a real mac user may complain about (or not) but for a hackintosher, I don't think so.

Regarding kexts, use whichever one that will give you the nicer results. Totally up to you.

Maybe my english is very poor so that you couldn't understand me.

I did mentioned my audio problem before this,

"Facing audio problem with volume increment glitches (It doesn't increase one by one but continuously)

And also broken bass when volume is high..."

Of course I knew that nothing is perfect on hackintosh, I thought that y'all get it work correctly and only me got the glitch.

That's why I complain.

Last but not least, my bass still broken upon clean install.

This is the first time I make hackintosh and the tutorial is aiming for my laptop. I just want it works like you stated.

Thank you.

Download the EFI folder from here https://mega.nz/#F!lrowGCrI!e8wi2AQXAGHIgmmDHOpcZg.Paste it inside the EFI partition.

Open it and follow the instructions in the app. You will be prompted to restart.

Restart the system you will now see a new "Install macOS High Sierra" option. Press enter.

Now the installation will begin it will take around 1 - 1.5 hours. Your keyboard and trackpad won't work so plug it a usb keyboard/ mouse if you want to see the installation progress(Display will turn off after a certain period of time). 

You will be prompted to share analytic data with developers and the next slide will be setting up mac(functionality of the keyboard and trackpad will be restored).

About the update:

The first 3 - 4 cold boots will be slow and the OS itself will feel slower but everything will heal with the passage of time.

The audio won't work out of the box so use sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u / in the terminal and reboot. This will restore the audio.

Hi, you could upload the file somewhere else that is free, mega asks me account and pay to download the file.

Thank you

Ahmed_ais, thank you for staying active in this thread. I just acquired a Y510p almost a month ago and am still experimenting. Thanks to this thread and its downloads I've gotten a lot of stuff working but no audio yet. I'd edit something in the playlist, get crashes, then have to sort of start over. I've been working with helpful Redditor CorpNewt who has helped me immensely. I'm still learning patching and such, have pressed F4 at the Clover screen, tried a few tips for audio, etc.

i read previously that you were concerned about disassembling the laptop. I've done it once with this and there  are no special tools needed. The scariest part is getting the keyboard out though. The wide cable held in with a fragile plastic piece is nothing (mine broke but is still usable and holds the cable in place), but it's getting it out by pushing the screw holes with a screwdriver that make me nervous. I'm afraid of pushing it out too far, bending it. While I was under the hood I scraped off the old thermal paste and put a fresh coat on in both places. Wish I would have run Speedfan to get the before and after results though.

i haven't yet gone through all 60+ pages though. Has anyone gotten the GT750 card to work or does it just show up as Nvidia with 2GB without actually performing as such?

EDIT: I saw the glitchy graphics other were people were having from the start. My solution is/was to go in to Clover and set the FakeID as 0x04168086 instead of 04128086, as the graphics card shows as 0416 in Clover.

Ahmed_ais, thank you for staying active in this thread.

With pleasure :)

... I just acquired a Y510p almost a month ago and am still experimenting. Thanks to this thread and its downloads I've gotten a lot of stuff working but no audio yet.

Just follow the steps mentioned here (https://github.com/ahmed-ais/Y510p-OSX-AppleHDA) and you will have working audio. It's a tried and proven method.

i read previously that you were concerned about disassembling the laptop. I've done it once with this and there  are no special tools needed. The scariest part is getting the keyboard out though. The wide cable held in with a fragile plastic piece is nothing (mine broke but is still usable and holds the cable in place), but it's getting it out by pushing the screw holes with a screwdriver that make me nervous. I'm afraid of pushing it out too far, bending it. While I was under the hood I scraped off the old thermal paste and put a fresh coat on in both places. Wish I would have run Speedfan to get the before and after results though.

This is encouraging, I will try this some time soon. Thanks for the tip!

... Has anyone gotten the GT750 card to work or does it just show up as Nvidia with 2GB without actually performing as such?

Mentioned in the guide already and no; there is a problem having it fully working. Although macOS can boot using the built-in Nvidia GPU (only for those who have 2nd ultrabay GPU), the driver does not load correctly. Something is missing, and most importantly community interest as such hardware configuration is rare. Take a look here for more information (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304933-help-fixing-lenovo-y510p-nvidia-gt-755m-on-os-x-yosemite-10102/)

EDIT: I saw the glitchy graphics other were people were having from the start. My solution is/was to go in to Clover and set the FakeID as 0x04168086 instead of 04128086, as the graphics card shows as 0416 in Clover.

No. Fake means something different than the truth, obviously. The mobile HD4600 GPU has id=0x04168086 which IS NOT supported in macOS. The desktop HD4600 GPU which has id=0x04128086 IS supported, however. This is why we instruct Clover to camouflage our not supported iGPU as another one that is supported. We need to set FakeID as 0x04128086.

• Thanks 1

No. Fake means something different than the truth, obviously. The mobile HD4600 GPU has id=0x04168086 which IS NOT supported in macOS. The desktop HD4600 GPU which has id=0x04128086 IS supported, however. This is why we instruct Clover to camouflage our not supported iGPU as another one that is supported. We need to set FakeID as 0x04128086.

Sorry, I should have corrected myself. I used that FakeID to just get into the system, both when installing Sierra and right after setting it up and before adding the FakePCIID kexts for intel HD graphics. Once I have those there I set it back to 04128086. That 04168086 just prevents those repeating glitchy graphics from appearing the first time.

I just got another Y510p in the mail yesterday (from a won eBay auction) and disassembled it, and again it wasn't bad. This version had a M.2 connector on it (my original one did not), but it also had a stiffer latch to secure the keyboard in. All the screws to remove the bottom panel and the majority of the screws underneath that are the same. The only different screws from that are few: (1) the three small ones by the DVD bay (well, external device bay in the Y510p's case), (2) one different screw underneath the keyboard securing the top chassis to the motherboard, and (3) two small screws securing the motherboard to the bottom chassis. This is not including the one screw to secure the WiFi card to the board nor the two small screws securing the HD caddy to the chassis. After that there are three groups of cables to detach, one for the WiFi, one for the DC jack (by the fan), and one for the video cable (also by the fan). You can go on Lenovo's website and download the service manual directly. There are six screws holding down the heatsink to the CPU and GPU as well, but these cannot be permanently removed as loosening them stops at some point. They remain attached to the heatsink.

When I got my first DVD caddy I noticed something. The 2nd video card has that weird rectangular connector, but the DVD caddy had a flat plastic piece in place of that connector and instead had the SATA connector exposed. So the laptop has two connectors there. Also worth noting that the DVD caddy had the plastic adapter screwed on to the back and rear sides of it and can be removed, exposing just a regular 9.5mm device. The reason I'm pointing this out is that you may not have to pay lots more money specifically for a y510p DVD caddy. I don't know how easier or harder it is if you don't have the plastic piece, but it may help save a few bucks. Also discovered on my Lenovo E540 that while you can use an external DVD drive in OS X, it won't let you play actual DVDs from Apple's DVD player program unless a DVD drive is internally where it's originally supposed to be.

Another thing worth noting (for dual graphics card users) is the power adapter. I got a replacement off of ebay for the lesser 120W output for one video card, but got a second power adapter (bigger and beefier) that puts out 170W for those dual graphics cards to really shine. A good replacement shouldnt be too much, but avoid the mistake I did and do an eBay search for "45N0111". I tried saving some money and found out the adapter plug was larger and wouldn't fit in my Y510p. So now I can play video games in Windows using both GT750 cards.

I'm going to try the AppleHDA again. Should I go in and remove all audio kexts from S/L/E and L/E first or reinstall completely (I have a few SSDs so it's not a problem, just takes up 20 minutes of my time). I tried the auto patcher but got nothing other than extra files. Admittingly my knowledge of Unix and the terminal isnt much, and while one page from the guide said to move DDSTs and SSDTs the other did not mention anything about that (sorry for my ignorance). I made sure to go into my config.plist and edit the layout and edits for the Y510p, but still cant get audio devices to show. Another page did not mention this and I got lost. I tried another method by downloading an ALC292 kext and following those instructions, but still nothing. I did press F4 at closer to get all the files in clover/ACPI/origin, but ill try again later. Mostly I need audio to run MainStage live performance app, but I'm using a 5.1 output via USB. Still, I'd like to be able to use the internal speakers if need be.

• 4 weeks later...

About the update:

About the update:

Follow the instructions in this post.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202239

Supported built-in graphics cards

The following graphics cards come with Mac computers and support OpenCL in OS X Yosemite and OS X El Capitan.

Geforce Nvidia GT755 M 

So that's our laptop :) What does it mean ? If i use El Capitan on my Hackintosh Lenovo y510p i can use my second graphic card too ?

I hope so but I'm afraid it's not that simple. You might wanna take a good read here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304933-help-fixing-lenovo-y510p-nvidia-gt-755m-on-os-x-yosemite-10102/. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for answering to my question, the problem is that i testeed on my y510p and it didn't work as expected, the difference is that i am using a moddeb bios, because i am using a wifi card  that is not in lenovo whitelist, 

just today i put osx sierra on a usb drive with the help of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ( the settings used for [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is uefi mode), after [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] finished copying sierra on the flash drive, i used an app called efi mounter to mount the efi partition of the usb drive ( in which sierra is), than i downloaded the USB Installer EFI folder Sierra 10.12 than i copied the efi folder form it to the efi partition of the usb drive.

now i restarted it the pc, and booted using the flash drive and in the clover screen i selected start from usb (i called the flash USB),

now the loading started but it always finish with this photo, information i'm using modded bios and a wifi card dell dw1550,

please any help, how to fix it,

previously i always got an image ready to use from a russian site and i use to install osx,

and does the file in the download section (Clover_FULL_EFI_10.10-10.12_SSDT-HACK)work fine with modded bios( my case), and if it does should i modified it to make others wifi card (dw1550 for example) work,

thanks  any way

• 2 weeks later...

I own y510p and it's sitting idle under my desk and I figured I'd give a hackintosh a try. Is the first post up to date? Should I look for other posts within the thread for help? I'm sure there's a lot of information hidden away here in this thread.

Does y510p even work with latest MacOSX High Sierra 10.13.2?

I own y510p and it's sitting idle under my desk and I figured I'd give a hackintosh a try. Is the first post up to date? Should I look for other posts within the thread for help? I'm sure there's a lot of information hidden away here in this thread.

Does y510p even work with latest MacOSX High Sierra 10.13.2?

Speaking of myself, I stopped updating this guide since Sierra 10.12.x and I'm still using 10.11.6 on my machine. However, many have had success with Sierra and beyond on this computer and as you said you will find useful information hidden. Just read the most recent posts since 10.13 was released and you will be good to go.

It is tempting to say that I will give it a try and intend to update the guide one day but as you see this laptop is getting old (almost 5 years old) and a lot of people already moved on to other newer computers.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ahmed_ais please do you know if SSDT-HACK with the ssdt.aml included in .zip file work with modded bios ?

I don't have a modded bios so I don't know for sure what does the tables (DSDT and SSDTs) look like or how different they are from the stock. You could compare the tables and see if there's any change that affect any patch and if that is the case, you might need a special SSDT-HACK files

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a problem with my Sierra installation on my Lenovo. Always, I want to boot to macOS from clover installed on HDD (I copy it from first page) it stuck on "+++++++++" and then reboot. If I run clover from USB, macOS successfully finish boot. Can anyone suggest me what to do?

• 4 weeks later...

for those of you who are using modded bios, sierra worked for me using this kext and clover folder,

Kext:

FAKEPCIID.kext

FAKEPCIID_XHCIMux.kext

FAKEPCIID_intel_HDMI_audio.kext

FAKEPCIID_intel_HDMI_Graphics.kext

FAKEPCIID_broadcom_WIFI.kext

ACPIBatteryManager.kext
USBinjectAll.kext
AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
BrcmPatchRam2.kext
BrcmFirmwareData.kext
BTFirmwareUploader.kext
AppleHDA282.kext

and Fakesmc.kext in clover folder

clover folder link

i hope it would help

• 2 weeks later...
On 25.02.2018 at 11:20 AM, Peace&Love said:

for those of you who are using modded bios, sierra worked for me using this kext and clover folder,

Kext:

FAKEPCIID.kext

FAKEPCIID_XHCIMux.kext

FAKEPCIID_intel_HDMI_audio.kext

FAKEPCIID_intel_HDMI_Graphics.kext

FAKEPCIID_broadcom_WIFI.kext

ACPIBatteryManager.kext
USBinjectAll.kext
AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
BrcmPatchRam2.kext
BrcmFirmwareData.kext
BTFirmwareUploader.kext
AppleHDA282.kext

and Fakesmc.kext in clover folder

clover folder link

i hope it would help

Is the moded bios in the default settings? What should we change in modded bios settings?