Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

Well, I forgot to copy these files, but I checked now, in "4. Preparing OS X USB Installer" you only have mentioned the files, but in the guide there is no info where and when to copy them to the usb?

Yes you are right. There used to be more information on installing Clover on the USB with its configuration which I recently removed in favor of adding ready-made EFI.zip to save time. I will edit the post accordingly when I have time for it. But then again, the mentioned kexts are a must and should be put into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ .. when? any time before you attempt to boot off the USB should be ok.

• Like 1

Yes you are right. There used to be more information on installing Clover on the USB with its configuration which I recently removed in favor of adding ready-made EFI.zip to save time. I will edit the post accordingly when I have time for it. But then again, the mentioned kexts are a must and should be put into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ .. when? any time before you attempt to boot off the USB should be ok.

Yep, thanks for the information. :)

I'll add them to the usb and will try again.

Will text again later to inform you how's going.

Edit: well I played 3h with the stupid usb, and the setup is not running. Sorry but something important is missing from the guide. 

I will do in tomorrow with the old method(the one I made a vid:

), playing with clover config files and etc. and by the way do the both files (FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller.) should be in "other" folder or 10.12? Anyway going to sleep, will continue to try again...

Edit: well I played 3h with the stupid usb, and the setup is not running. Sorry but something important is missing from the guide.

I still have no idea what do you mean by "not running". You should give some screenshots from the boot process or to provide more information on where the boot stop. Don't jump to conclusions before you investigate  :no:

I will do in tomorrow with the old method(the one I made a vid: ... ), playing with clover config files and etc.

I see (in the video) you are using Clover Configurator to add SMBIOS to the ready config.plist and then you saved to the same file; that's WRONG. Clover Configurator is known to destroy config.plist and we only use it to generate SMBIOS but NOT in the actual file we will use. To do this correctly, you should open Clover Configurator and head directly to SMBIOS section and save to a new file (say smbios.plist). Then, open the file you just saved (smbios.plist) with PlistPro and copy the SMBIOS section to the prepared config.plist.

... and by the way do the both files (FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller.) should be in "other" folder or 10.12? Anyway going to sleep, will continue to try again...

The kexts should work from either "10.10" (since you are preparing Yosemite installer) or "Other" but we generally use "Other" folder especially on actual installation so that we don't need to move the kexts around when we upgrade to newer versions of the OS. And by the way, if you have ELAN touchpad then I think you should put ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext instead of VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

Well, by not running I meant that the set up is not showing, and looks like it freeze/stuck on loading process.

btw, here I am using the guide to create the usb (not the one from the video above which actually is a working way for the Yosemite!)

post-1377288-0-02820200-1475403723_thumb.jpg

I am using the latest version of the all files!

Well, by not running I meant that the set up is not showing, and looks like it freeze/stuck on loading process.

As I told you before, boot in verbose mode so you can see where it stuck.

btw, here I am using the guide to create the usb (not the one from the video above which actually is a working way for the Yosemite!)

And apart from configuring config.plist, I don't see any difference between the method in the guide and the one in the video.

PS: you want to do this manually right? because there is ready made EFI for Yosemite that you could use and save yourself the hassle. You may also try to compare the files from your EFI folder and the one I put in the guide to get an idea where the problem lies in.

Emm I made many tries. Of course I copied your folder and config so if the config was broken with your things should be okay. And tried too, the way to save only SMBIOS on different file and then copy/paste to the config, without using clover configurator.

Will try now with different flash drive, just in case.

Just tell me now if the steps I am doing are the right one:

1. Formating the usb -> GUID

2. Mount InstallESD.dmg

3. Open BaseSystem.dmg

4. Restore to USB drive -> OS X Base System

5. Rename usb drive to installer etc

6. Copy both files BaseSystem.chunklist and BaseSystem.dmg to the usb drive main folder

7. Copy the folder “Packages” to  usb drive > System > Installation 

8. Mount EFI drive and Copy/Replace EFI folders with yours

9. Add FakeSMC and VoodooPS2Controller to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ - the latest ones I mean

8. Install Clover (I set up same options as these were in the video) Since you will use my EFI folder (step 9), no need to install clover

PS: I won't say this again but you should boot in verbose mode to see where the problem is.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_2648.JPG

Used diff usb drive and didn't install clover, used yours EFI, just updated the two files

• Nvidia GPU (built-in): This will have to be disabled as OS X does not support Optimus technology.
  • Nvidia GPU (external/ultrabay, for those who have it): This will have to be removed before using OS X.
  • Boot flags: -x -v nv_disable=1 dart=0 darkwake=10 kext-dev-mode=1
  • Read carefully!

Used diff usb drive and didn't install clover, used yours EFI, just updated the two files

Any luck? if not, let me take a look on your USB EFI folder (zip it and attach here).

I know you said you are using mine with just two files updated but still.

PS: the last line in the boot verbose from the screenshot you linked used to appear lately for people who try to install Sierra (google it and take a look). So I'm not so sure which OS version are you trying to install.

I'm trying to install Sierra, I have already installed Yosemite.

That's what I thought  :yes:

Here's the efi folder

I see you replaced the SMBIOS of MBP11,1 with MBP12,1. You should not go for higher numbers expecting better performance or compatibility as you might make mistakes if you did not do the research beforehand. The MBP12,1 series (i3, i5 and i7) all feature Intel Broadwell processors instead of Intel Haswell processors which MBP11,1 series have. We choose the SMBIOS of a specific mac which its main hardware parts are very similar to our PC and Y510p have Haswell processor.

The only compatible SMBIOS I knew of are MBP11,1 and MBP11,2 and iMac14,2.

That's what I thought  :yes:

I see you replaced the SMBIOS of MBP11,1 with MBP12,1. You should not go for higher numbers expecting better performance or compatibility as you might make mistakes if you did not do the research beforehand. The MBP12,1 series (i3, i5 and i7) all feature Intel Broadwell processors instead of Intel Haswell processors which MBP11,1 series have. We choose the SMBIOS of a specific mac which its main hardware parts are very similar to our PC and Y510p have Haswell processor.

The only compatible SMBIOS I knew of are MBP11,1 and MBP11,2 and iMac14,2.

Okay, will change it and will try again,

edit: well, no success again.

I just found few other people complaining about similar issue to yours. They claim it is due to using old versions of Clover so if the currently EFI_USB_10.12.zip does not work for you try install (and correctly configure) newer version of Clover to your USB. Alternatively, you may choose to try the attached zip instead as I have updated it to a more recent Clover revision (actually, this one works on my machine running 10.12).

I will wait for your feedback on this.

EFI_USB_10.12_UPDATED.zip

Yap, just now I try to clean install Sierra with your old EFI folder and it is the same error. When I have time I will try with new EFI folder. :)

UPDATE : Works with new EFI folder

I don't understand a thing, why you have in config.plist nvda_drv=1?

Yap, just now I try to clean install Sierra with your old EFI folder and it is the same error. When I have time I will try with new EFI folder. :)

UPDATE : Works with new EFI folder

That's great to know  :)

I don't understand a thing, why you have in config.plist nvda_drv=1?

Which config.plist do you mean? the updated one for 10.12 USB? it doesn't !

Is not a problem, working very wwell . yes the last EFI folder with config.plist. I don't have any Nvidia connected

I just checked and that flag is not there. I also booted from that EFI folder and no it is not there.

It doesn't make sense to include it if Nvidia Web drivers are not installed which is the case here. Do you have the drivers installed by any chance (even without any Nvidia GPU connected)? The driver installer usually add the flag automatically to config.plist.

Strange, I format hard disk before clean install. Yes, in Yosemite I used web driver for gtx 970.

I have read that this boot-arg can also exist in nvram (maybe by the installer). In this case, it will be there even after you wipe your hard disk. Attach the result of this command:

nvram -xp > ~/Desktop/nvram.plist