Pattern of MLB (Main Logic Board)

holyfield

573 posts in this topic

I have the same issue , something changed.

Yeah, stopped working. I am using a real MLB/ROM from my MBA.

I wiped clean all the plists, history and tried again. It logs in just fine (screenshot below) but the messages never come-in or go out.

Same problem here. MLB & ROM from a real iMac. Stopped working somewhere around yesterday. I'm trying to pin point any changes I've made to my configuration but the only thing that comes to mind was installing this NTP Security Update

I was using real values too, but now unable to send a message, and now I have been kicked out and cannot log back in. 

Maybe the real values were black listed? 

I'm still logged in and highly doubt that the values were blacklisted as nobody else uses my donor mac

You called to AppleSupport?

Nope

Yeah, stopped working. I am using a real MLB/ROM from my MBA.

I wiped clean all the plists, history and tried again. It logs in just fine (screenshot below) but the messages never come-in or go out.

Hi I use the ROM and MLB my mac mini 2010 on several machines and it still works fine, and I did the Last security update

Have you shared your MLB ROM and on the internet?
It will also change when INJECT SYSTEM ID in SYSTEM PARAMETERS in clover
if it is active or disables this has effects on services CLOUD (iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime)

iMessage is what always work on your Macbook?

If you are trying to send SMS messages you have to enable SMS relay on your actual iDevice

The problem is my hack disappeared from my iPhones text forwarding list. It's like imessage on my hack sits in it's own universe: i can send messages that get confirmed with "delivered" status but no one actually gets any messages. They will not appear on my iPhone. Nothing. I can log in and out without any problems, multiple restarts etc.

I´d like to contribute to the work done so far and let you know what I was able to figure out so far...

Before December 29th early in the morning (german time) it was enough to have a valid pair of MLB/ROM to sign on to iMessage an use the Service after that it stopped working for some of us though we´re still signed on (iMessage Preferences shows the Service to be activated). After this date we´re still able to log out an log into iMessage using a valid pair of MLB and ROM values but we´re not able to send or receive Messages at all. Again it logs in successfully but won´t send or receive any Messages even though it says the message was delivered...

I started to investigate on the issue and tried to figure out why my desktop machine was able to send and receive messages (iMessages and even SMS) where my Laptop and the mac I borrowed the ROM and MLB values from wasn't. Although all of them use the same ROM and MLB values only my Desktop PC was able to send and receive Messages. I logged out and back in on both of them (Laptop and MAC) and iMessage showed me to be logged in and activated but I was not able to send or receive any messages on this devices. I decided to run iMessageDebug on my working desktop and on the not working but signed in Laptop and MAC and discovered that SystemID and HardwareUUID where different on all of them. In a next step I disconnected the Laptop from the internet (Laptop is using Clover as bootloader) and changed SMUUID and SystemID to match the ones of my Desktop. After a reboot (still disconnected from Internet) it told me that the iCloudKeyChain has been deactivated. I checked all values with iMessageDebug and verified that ROM,MLB,System-ID and Hardware UUID do match my desktops values rebooted an connected the laptop to the network and iMessage worked again...

So my conclusion to this is, that apple started to associate ROM and MLB values with normally unique System-ID and Hardware UUID values and they do associate the first Hardware UUID and System-ID with the given ROM and MLB values which signs in to their services...

• Like 7

The problem is my hack disappeared from my iPhones text forwarding list. It's like imessage on my hack sits in it's own universe: i can send messages that get confirmed with "delivered" status but no one actually gets any messages. They will not appear on my iPhone. Nothing. I can log in and out without any problems, multiple restarts etc.

Ditto. Strange thing is the 'Delivered' status, which is a lie *lol*

If I enable iCloud email for iMessages on both phone & hack with 'iPhone Cellular Calls' in Facetime settings on both, I can send/recieve regular SMS messages. In fact twice, intended iMessages got automatically converted to SMS (green color) and then sent (via relay). Turned it off as they cost $$.

I'll dig into the log to see if I can find anything.

So my conclusion to this is, that apple started to associate ROM and MLB values with normally unique System-ID and Hardware UUID values and they do associate the first Hardware UUID and System-ID with the given ROM and MLB values which signs in to their services...

Confirmed, thank you.

I changed all values to the ones from my real MBA except the Model (iMac12,2) & Serial.

Values I changed in 'Clover Configurator':

1) SMBIOS > Board-ID ('Board-id' value from my MBA obtained via iMessage_Debug2 utility)

2) SMBIOS > Board Serial Number ('BoardSerialNumber' value from my MBA obtained via iMessage_Debug2 utility)

3) SMBIOS> SmUUID ('System-ID' value from my MBA obtained via iMessage_Debug2 utility)

4) Rt Variables > ROM ('ROM' value from my MBA obtained via iMessage_Debug2 utility); just in case

5) Rt Variables > MLB ('BoardSerialNumber' value from my MBA obtained via iMessage_Debug2 utility); just in case

Rebooted to check the values. Automatically generated 'Hardware UUID' indeed now  matches that of the MBA (didn't have to insert this)

After re-authorizing iCloud via 2-factor authentication, logged into iMessage.

It now works (all blue colored contact names and messages)  :)

Guys, something changed this week.

I'm not able to send or receive iMessages from iMac12,2 even with valid MLB/ROM from my MacBookAir6,2. Perhaps they are checking the Serial/SMBIOS now as well?

It logs in just fine but messages never get delivered. No issues whatsoever on the iDevices.

I second this.  Was using cloned MLB/ROM from iMac.  As of the 28, I was logged out of messages and my iMac has been blacklisted.  I can no longer log into iMessages on the iMac even after a fresh reinstall.   Have an ongoing call into apple, but no one has solved the issue.  I was using the clone method for several months with no issue.  Be aware.   If I get my imac unlocked I am no longer cloning.

Same issue. Switched to a completely different SMBios that I took from an online Hardware dump while including SMUUID, Serial, ROM, and MLB and still cannot deliver any messages. I can also confirm the SMUUID is the same as the one I placed inside my config. My Laptop works fine with just a valid MLB and ROM.

Did you verify if your Hardware UUIDs are the same on both machines?

So.... I would like to add I was on the phone with Apple for almost 3hrs today trying to get my real MbP fixed with iMessage, FaceTime. Still not fixed btw but after talking to a Apple Tech, a Senior Tech and a Tech Engineer I asked each just a general question on how secure iMessage really was and if my iMessage cert could get highjacked and if I could get them to verify every device that has used my Apple ID, they all 3 said the exact same thing, only my actual registered devices (iPhone, iPad and real MacBookPro) was the only devices that has been used to login to iMessage, but they did mention a few Windows computers that I used to login to iTunes, none of my 3 hacks were even listed, so that tells me 2 things. 1. all 3 techs are retarded or 2. Apple servers are not registering every device you use your Apple ID on and linking them to the account itself. Interesting stuff though.

Yes, I can confirm from the IOReg dump from the original machine that the Hardware UUID id that appears in System Profiler is the same.

Ok, becuase on my hack where iMessage is now working, the only values different than my MBA are the serial & model-id.

I did not try to login to iMessage/Facetime on my original MBA to see if it is black-listed or not but it is logged into iCloud services with a different Apple ID.

Anyway, this feels like a cat & mouse game at this point.

Hi,

I've been looking into this latest issue (Late Dec 2014) with iMessage, i'm still not 100% certain but based on the testing i've done so far and with the feedback from the community i think the following may be going on ....

First lets recap on some basic iMessage functionality.

The very first time you log into iMessage (or FaceTime) the server registers your Hardware UUID (derived by OSX from SmUUID), MLB & ROM and possibly the System Type. Up until April 2014 it didn't matter about Hardware UUID at least as far as iMessage was concerned, however after that date it became apparent that all systems using iMessage must have a unique and valid Hardware UUID which led to the discovery of the so called SId bug ... where some BIOS's do not initialise SystemID correctly leading to invalid or non-unique Hardware UUID and led to the now standard practice of injecting a unique SmUUID via the boot-loader, usually locally generated by running 'uuidgen' in terminal.

At this point it was enough for these ID's to be simply unique and follow a basic syntax check, however as we all know Apple have been gradually improving iMessage back-end verification over the last eight months ... the most complex being the tighter MLB verification introduced around mid November, leading to an increase in the use of cloned MLB & ROM values when running iMessage on non-Apple hardware.

I think this latest issue is a 'quick and dirty' attempt by Apple to stop the widespread use of cloned ID's by checking that the MLB & ROM match the Hardware UUID that was registered the first time that the source system (of the MLB & ROM) connected to the iMessage servers .... 

As already posted by some users it seems that you can restore iMessage functionality by also cloning the SmUUID (and thus Hardware UUID) of the doner (MLB & ROM) system on to the systems using those ID's ....

But i think this could change very soon, it seems a far to a simple method to work around ... so I suspect that Apple are working on a more complex method to stop the use of cloned MLB & ROM values so expect more changes soon....

This is my best guess as to whats going on ... but it seems logical given the testing i've done and reports from other users posts.

Cheers

Jay

• Like 1

So how has it written jaymonkey that will probably get worse come from Apple to shut out all Hackintoshler.

Then we'll have to say goodbye to the small, need not necessarily end tool iMessage and FaceTime and use alternative tools for it.

Just because iMessage and FaceTime I will not separate me from my Apple OSX on my PC. I continue to work with hackintosh,

is the best alternative to Windows.

if cloned real value on the hack and true Mac connects without problems we can send messages but not reach the recipient. messages remain blocked in the network that is a problem so if you had an iPhone message not always pass through iMessage jumps SMS

this is not the Apple ID that is put on a black list, it is the computer that give the ROM is on black list you will have to call Apple to try to unlock the Mac

@jaymonkey I agree with your posting in almost every point except of one...

The very first time you log into iMessage (or FaceTime) the server registers your Hardware UUID (derived by OSX from SmUUID)

In fact this is something they might have changed around 28th of December. I think as Apple registered a notable increase of login attempts against not matching pairs of MLB/ROM and SystemID they decided to reset their databases to get rid of all the cloned systems and sharpen their checks of SystemID, MLB and ROM including a forced log out of their Services. Once logged out the first machines Hardware UUID which reconnected to their services was registered to be legit owner of the given pair of MLB and ROM values and the Services got totally enabled for this machine.

This step is totally logical to me since it won´t affect any legit MAC user but will heavily  affect all the non legit users since they are logged out and stay (okay some kind of logged out since valid MLB and ROM still allow to login to iMessage but won´t allow to send or receive Messages without a valid SystemID but I think this is just because the client doesn´t know how to handle the servers response) logged out. To proof my thoughts I use 2 hacks with cloned MLB/ROM values from a real MAC and one of the hacks (name it hack 1) was online around Decembers 28th and was logged out from iMessage and quoted me to enter my password to sign in again. I entered my password and the services worked normally...

A day after I used my hackbook and everything looks normal but all Messages I send out were not delivered even though iMessage claims they have been delivered. I tried the same on the donor and the same result, iMessage claims the Messages where delivered but in fact they were not. In a next step i cloned the hardware UUID and System ID from hack 1 to my hackbook (clover since hack 1 is Ozmosis) and rebooted. Once rebooted and logged in hack 1 and all of my IOS devices reported that a "new" MacBook was registered to use iMessage/FaceTime with my appleID...

Some thoughts about why Apple sharpens iMessage login and activation procedure:

At least I think Apple does not bother that much about if their services may od may not be used by hackintosh users since most of them are not so relevant to users security (AppStore, FaceTime, iTunes) except of Messages since this is the only service offered by Apple which offers cellular data forwarding even if your cellular Phone isn´t in reach of your MAC. Messages makes it possible to send or receive cellular Data from any iMessage enabled phone on every Mac associated to your AppleID which is enabled to receive iMessages. Since all other Services offered by Apple require yourself to auth against Apple (AppStore, iTunes) or to be authorized against Apple and at least be present in the same Wireless Network (FaceTime) to take over, iMessage is the only Service which may be a major security risk for Apple´s customers since it forwards any cellular data to any device which is enabled to receive the data by entering the corresponding AppleID´s data. Knowing about this it is more than just a logical step for Apple to do anything possible to suppress anything which enables Messages for more than one Machine using the same value...