Clover: iMessage/Facetime Fix for Yosemite

leodaniel

252 posts in this topic

image.png

IMPORTANT: CAUSED BY NEW APPLE VERIFICATION-STEPS, you need MLB (BoardSerialNumber) and ROM from a real Mac.

The use of real mac MLB/ROM is a temporary solution. I always prefer to use generated IDs, but actually there is no way around.

Note:
This guide is for Clover users only. Please do not ask questions related to Chameleon or other Bootloaders.

Please follow all steps, or at least read them all.
You will probably need to call the Apple support to activate iMessage, but don’t worry, I will explain you what you need to do.
Also try to change your IDs as less as possible, this is also why I advise you to disconnect temporary from internet after step 3. 

Never share your ID's and never believe or use ID's found on the internet!

Requirements:

1 Step
You need to mount you EFI partition, to do so, type following command in terminal (Applications>Utilities>Terminal)

diskutil list

The output should look like this:

post-1251536-0-99042100-1415126512_thumb.png

Look for your System HardDrive or SSD (in my case HackintoshSSD 10) and copy your EFI partition IDENTIFIER (in my case disk1s1)

Now type following command:

diskutil mount YOUR_IDENTIFIER

in my case this would be:

diskutil mount disk1s1

Now you should see EFI Drive in Finder.

2 Step

Open the Clover Configurator Application, you should see following screen:

post-1251536-0-97461200-1415126633_thumb.png

Select following config file: EFI > EFI > CLOVER > config.plist

(Highlighted in blue).

Now move to the SMBIOS Section (left menu). Click on the magic wand icon and select appropriate bios for your system.

If you are not sure which one, check your About this Mac>System Reports and check your Model Identifier (in this example iMac (13,2) ).

post-1251536-0-21971900-1415128338_thumb.png

Click several times on the little shake buttons to generate a Unique Serial for you Hackintosh. (Note: This is only an example, don’t use the serials shown in the image!)

Now you need to check, if your Serial is a generic one and not from a real mac.

To do this: go to https://selfsolve.apple.com and enter you generated serial. If you don’t get an error Message, just randomise the serial again with the 2 little shake buttons. Repeat this until you get an error message on the site.

Click on “OK” to save you SMBIOS.

3 Step

You should now have a screen similar to this one.

post-1251536-0-57853900-1415128496_thumb.png

Now you need to populate those 2 RED indicated fields.

Open again Terminal and enter:

uuidgen

This will output something like this:

C5FAA18D-AA58-44E4-ABBF-C31885429CD7

Repeat this 3-4 times to be sure to get an unique one. Copy it and paste it into SmUUID.

The second file that needs to be populated, is the board ID.

For this, just copy your Serial and Enter some random letters and numbers, that you get a length of 17 digits!

In my example this would be: C02LHIA7DNMP7E8G4

4 Step

Go to the RT Variables Section, enter the MLB (BoardSerialNumber) & ROM value from a real mac and click Calculate.

Do not use values found on the Internet! Only use values from your own mac and never ever share them! To learn more about MLB check out this Thread by holyfield.

To find those Values on a real mac, simply run iMessage Debug or for older macs (OS X Lion / Snow Leopard) check out here (by Fusion71au). The real mac does not need the be the same model as your SmBios, you can use the ROM/MLB form a MacBookPro with MacPro SmBios on you hack. You can also still use both Macs on the same times on iMessage.

post-1251536-0-99302600-1417963174_thumb.png

Go System Parameters Section on Clover Configurator and make sure, that those are empty! 

Now save the file (cmd + s).

Disconnect your computer form Internet and Reboot. Do this several times and always check with iMessageDebug (double click on the file), that all IDs are set and stay the same.

post-1251536-0-35347500-1415128611_thumb.png

If it is so, you can reconnect to your network. If not, retry steps 1-4.

You will now be prompted to re-login to iCloud and iMessage.

Normally you should not get any error or code from iMessage if you use a valid ROM/MLB combination.

If you get an Code and you are asked to call apple, you are using some invalid ID combination, usually related by ROM/MLB. I would not recommend you to call Apple, as you are not using a mac, even if some other tutorials tell you that.

Enjoy fully functional iMessage!

Hope it helped

• Like 19

Thank you for the tutorial. I was finally able to get the Customer Code screen, which seems to be the gateway to get it fixed. Now I was wondering, my current build is obviously modern, able to run Yosemite and all. I do have an official serial number, however, it is from an old G4 Mac Mini. Will they recognize this? Or is that completely subjective to the rep?

I know that you may not even need the serial, but just in case, I wanted to know if they could see that, hey this machine can't even run an OS that uses iMessage.

All you need, is a valid apple Serial from a real mac. In some cases, they don't even want to know the serial. And if you don't have any, just tell them your actually not home and you just have copied the Support Code. Anyway, the Serial is only needed to associate your case with a device. Explain, that you get an error while trying to log in to iMessage. They will ask your for the Code (Something like 9378-3847-3904). After that all should work!

If possitioned correctly, you do not need a SN at all, read my post here about this.

Thank you for the tutorial. I was finally able to get the Customer Code screen, which seems to be the gateway to get it fixed. Now I was wondering, my current build is obviously modern, able to run Yosemite and all. I do have an official serial number, however, it is from an old G4 Mac Mini. Will they recognize this? Or is that completely subjective to the rep?

I know that you may not even need the serial, but just in case, I wanted to know if they could see that, hey this machine can't even run an OS that uses iMessage.

I can't give you an complete answer. What I know, is that the serial is send to apple. If and what they check about it, I'm not sure.

But I would never use a Hackintosh with a real Mac Serial. I think it's always better to use a generated one if you can.

What I know, is that the System Infos need to match the Serial. So you can't use a MacBookPro serial with the SMBIOS of a mac pro.

And I will update the guide with the infos from YoYelloW, so that a serial isn't needed.

Finally worked up the courage to call Apple Support. I took YoYelloW's advice and kept mentioning "My AppleID" and "iMessage", hardly ever brining up my Mac. I actually got an initial person that couldn't help me, then I was sent to another person that never experienced this problem before, and she was a director. So, I guess it is common, but not that common. Anywho, she was able to fix it before I got off the phone! The Customer Code really is the key to get this fix, otherwise they can't really find how to correct it. Thanks again to people in this thread, and in other threads to fix it!

It's way to much info around regarding iMessage and facetime. All you need is to make sure that you have unique SN generated in clover configurator and can't leave board ID field empty as clover generated Numbers are blacklisted. Calling Apple just say you upgraded to Yosemite and Messeges gives you code. They will never ask for SN.

This hack works fine! You need SMBIOS settings on your Clover configuration. Make sure, that those are correct and valid for your model Clover suggest by-self the best model for your comp. So, generate based on suggested model the actual SMBIOS setting. Also these unique ID's as described by leodaniel.

Please note you also need an IPhone, iPad etc. They send the verification code on your iPhone screen at support call time.

This hack works fine! You need SMBIOS settings on your Clover configuration. Make sure, that those are correct and valid for your model Clover suggest by-self the best model for your comp. So, generate based on suggested model the actual SMBIOS setting. Also these unique ID's as described by leodaniel.

Please note you also need an IPhone, iPad etc. They send the verification code on your iPhone screen at support call time.

I don't really think iphone or iPad is really needed at all just generating the serial numbers and making sure you get the customer code at the login screen of iMessage worked just fine. You only need a serial number of a real mac m give them that serial number of that real Mac and they will unlock for u as easy as that.

I don't really think iphone or iPad is really needed at all just generating the serial numbers and making sure you get the customer code at the login screen of iMessage worked just fine. You only need a serial number of a real mac m give them that serial number of that real Mac and they will unlock for u as easy as that.

There is nothing to do with thinking/guessing. I activated iMessage by myself.

Here is the full list of information required by Apple support:

• First and Last Name
  • Apple ID
  • Computer Serial from About This Mac
  • iMessage Activation ID (from iMassage alert box)
  • Then, they send a verification code to iPhone, which you have to tell to support 

teddybearapple, you can think/believe whatever you want, I told what actually happened.

So, keep your iOS device next to you when placing an support call to activate iMessage on Hackintosh.

Done!

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this guide! The hardest part was the near hour long wait on hold with Apple support. Also, I did not need an iPad or iPhone to complete the procedure -- Robert, the support tech, took care of it there over the phone.

• Like 1

There is nothing to do with thinking/guessing. I activated iMessage by myself.

Here is the full list of information required by Apple support:

• First and Last Name
  • Apple ID
  • Computer Serial from About This Mac
  • iMessage Activation ID (from iMassage alert box)
  • Then, they send a verification code to iPhone, which you have to tell to support 

teddybearapple, you can think/believe whatever you want, I told what actually happened.

So, keep your iOS device next to you when placing an support call to activate iMessage on Hackintosh.

Done!

I have called them several times myself, I only needed a serial once and all the other times they required a support token. 

Maybe it is related to your Apple ID which wasn't verified before (no Credit Card)? Anyway, it worked, that matters :D.

• Like 1

If you say that you updated to Yosemite and message does give you code to contact them, they will never ask for s/n only for that code. I did hovewer had many real Apple products registered on my id before.

If you start your conversation mentioning your machine model than that triggers model specific problem and they might ask s/n. Talk only yosemite and message.

• Like 2

If you say that you updated to Yosemite and message does give you code to contact them, they will never ask for s/n only for that code. I did hovewer had many real Apple products registered on my id before.

If you start your conversation mentioning your machine model than that triggers model specific problem and they might ask s/n. Talk only yosemite and message.

Thank you luki1979!!

I don't understand why to state something, thats not true for sure :D. Probably on some cases it's true. Whatever Apple needs to take or ask to make sure you are not some cracker, etc, they will ask and do.

I just wrote, that they ask for serial number etc, also there are several post on various Hackintosh forums, which reveal the same, that Apple Support asks for serial number etc.  

My intention was to inform, that this method is working and what Apple support asked, so others can be well prepared for support call

I have called them several times myself, I only needed a serial once and all the other times they required a support token. 

Maybe it is related to your Apple ID which wasn't verified before (no Credit Card)? Anyway, it worked, that matters :D.

My Apple ID is fine. I have used AppStore to buy software/apps. 

Probably Apple is trying to protect users from being cracked/spied  trough iCloud or iMessage. I think, they shall implement for iMessage similar activation like they have for Keychain.

They never asked for a serial or customer code. I think my experience is in the vast minority. I had to push them to check the customer code. Then after some prompts, the rep was able to figure it out. As aforementioned, she has never heard of this problem, so your milage may vary. Just keep pushing that there is a problem with iMessage and the Messages app.

• Like 1

They never asked for a serial or customer code. I think my experience is in the vast minority. I had to push them to check the customer code. Then after some prompts, the rep was able to figure it out. As aforementioned, she has never heard of this problem, so your milage may vary. Just keep pushing that there is a problem with iMessage and the Messages app.

I activated iMessage for another comp today.

Today they requested

First and Last Name

Apple ID
Computer Serial from About This Mac
iMessage Activation ID (from iMassage alert box)

They didn't sent verification code to iPhone this time, but support personnel mentioned, you had a issue couple of days ago. I explained, it's my second comp, which I upgraded too into Yosemite.

Just for case, I recommend to backup your Clover config file, if you replace HD etc, you can restore previous settings for iMessage, so there is no activation needed I guess.

Continuity calling is really call feature if enabled from FaceTime prefs. Really easy to place call directly from desktop trough you iPhone cellular network with comp headset!

I just did all this, called Apple, told them I wasn't physically near my computer and that my (now angry) wife can't login to Messages for Mac or FaceTime. No serialnumber needed. After I told them what to do and look for (rather unknown problem apparently), I gave them my customer / validation code annd they said my account would be "unlocked" again. So I tried and it threw the exact same code at me again. Calling them back now, trying to get it unlocked again... the advisor, who I had to tell what to do again, they unlocked it again but it still throws the same code. I'm currently on hold for a Senior Advisor...  Also, the FaceTime is doing the same now, throws that code too, unlike before where it'd just not work. To be continued.

Anyone else had this issue?

Edit: Waited in line for well over an hour... was told to boot into safemode and try again. So eh yeah. I told them I'd try later tonight but did it rightaway. Booted with an added -x boot argument, tried, still the same error. Now going to contact them... again...

Edit 2: Got back in contact with the guy. Apparently there's another case just like this where they had to boot the system in safemode, then "unlock" the account, reboot into normal mode and then try to login again. Still no luck on my end though. Highly doubt this is a Hackintosh problem though, this is Apple's BS imho. He's going to email me some sort of script or program that gathers logs from the computer to figure out what's going on. Which will be interesting to say the least xD

I just did all this, called Apple, told them I wasn't physically near my computer and that my (now angry) wife can't login to Messages for Mac or FaceTime. No serialnumber needed. After I told them what to do and look for (rather unknown problem apparently), I gave them my customer / validation code annd they said my account would be "unlocked" again. So I tried and it threw the exact same code at me again. Calling them back now, trying to get it unlocked again... the advisor, who I had to tell what to do again, they unlocked it again but it still throws the same code. I'm currently on hold for a Senior Advisor...  Also, the FaceTime is doing the same now, throws that code too, unlike before where it'd just not work. To be continued.

Anyone else had this issue?

Edit: Waited in line for well over an hour... was told to boot into safemode and try again. So eh yeah. I told them I'd try later tonight but did it rightaway. Booted with an added -x boot argument, tried, still the same error. Now going to contact them... again...

Edit 2: Got back in contact with the guy. Apparently there's another case just like this where they had to boot the system in safemode, then "unlock" the account, reboot into normal mode and then try to login again. Still no luck on my end though. Highly doubt this is a Hackintosh problem though, this is Apple's BS imho. He's going to email me some sort of script or program that gathers logs from the computer to figure out what's going on. Which will be interesting to say the least xD

Hi C.44,

please make sure, that you have prepared you comp 100% properly! Use iMessageDebug tool to make sure that it's done properly.

Please note, Apple is trying to protect their customers from being hacked. New features of iMessage/FaceTime provide various functionality how to link your Mac with your iPhone or other iOS devices. You can now make cellular calls, send SMS etc directly from your Mac computer etc. There is a big risk, that someone can hijack your comp settings to spy after you (For example room mate on campus, angry spouse, colleagues at work etc. So, I believe that Apple is trying to protect everyones privacy.

Hi Holyfield,

i followed the guide to the letter. Checked 3 times between power downs to make sure all hashes were identical between sessions (I used iMessageDebug), which they were. It was only then that I even tried to log in. Ever since I'm getting the Customer Code. Friend of mine has the exact same problem.

Hi Holyfield,

i followed the guide to the letter. Checked 3 times between power downs to make sure all hashes were identical between sessions (I used iMessageDebug), which they were. It was only then that I even tried to log in. Ever since I'm getting the Customer Code. Friend of mine has the exact same problem.

Did you cleaned up all iMessage and FaceTime caches and junk? 

That I didn't do. Got some more information on which specific files and folders to trash?

Reset network configuration

Go to
  • /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
Trash these file
  • NetworkInterfaces.plist
  • preferences.plist 
Empty trashcan and reboot you comp

Clean iMessage cache etc

Switch on on Finder Show All Files (Terminal)
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

Open folder:
  • /StartupDrive/Users/username/Library/Caches
Trash all files which begin with the prefix:
  • Caches/com.apple.Messages
  • Caches/com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent
Open
  • /StartupDrive/Users/Username/Library/Preferences
Trash all files which begin with the prefix:
  • com.apple.iChat.
  • com.apple.imagent.
  • com.apple.imessage.
  • com.apple.imservice.
Also trash the folder
  • /StartupDrive/Users/Username/Library/Messages

Reboot, try to log into iMessage, you should have a new case ID.

Reset Finder

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder
  • Like 1