[Guide] Surface Pro 1st gen Yosemite clean installation

JahStories

380 posts in this topic

@iorduna, I do not have the "do not wake from sleep issue".

I have even the opposite issue: once I sleep the tablet, touching the screen brings it back to life, so keeping it in sleep mode while transporting it is an issue. I wish I could get the touch screen to stop register input, as well as the Windows logo. Only power button...

Other members of this forum: sleep issues? Or everything is fine?

GG

@iorduna, I do not have the "do not wake from sleep issue".

I have even the opposite issue: once I sleep the tablet, touching the screen brings it back to life, so keeping it in sleep mode while transporting it is an issue. I wish I could get the touch screen to stop register input, as well as the Windows logo. Only power button...

Other members of this forum: sleep issues? Or everything is fine?

GG

Same here Gaz, mines is sensitive in sleep mode, it awakens with a tap of the stylus. I'm not sure how we would get round this as a click would wake most machines,  capacative touch would probably be the same, however mines currently doesnt work as I bought my surface for pennies because it had a crack in the screen. Will probaby repair it now it runs OSX.

Bit of a step backwards today. Suddenly video playback is choppy and unreliable and sound often stops working. Not sure whats cause this, was using the surface on set today and was getting fast transfer speeds backing SD cards up using a full size SD to micro SD adapter to use the surfaces port and keep the usb3 port free. Sadly now the surface wont play any of the video footage back correctly or play youtube with sound or the correct speed.

You're still making progress. Thanks for the date & time fix, I would not have thought about it.

I don't remember what happens when my SP1 did complete setup, it was so long I was not there and the SP had rebooted & froze (trying to boot without kext injection). But I could see the installed disk. Can you restart the installer, & start Disk Utility to check that everything is fine on your internal SSD?

GG

Hi,

My first installation was even worse that yours (it is documented in this thread). I do not have choppy sound and it is not reported as a common issue (e.g. sound input not working), so you can either try to get to the end of it, or redo your installation to see if it leads to a better result (personally I tried to fix my mess and after a few hours, went for the wipe & start over again - second attempt was the right one).

GG

Thanks for the answer, reinstalled and sound fully working now!!! The only thing that is not working is the type cover 2 touchpad. It acts as a touch panel, can't do click on it. Is there any kext I must install for it to work? Thank you so much!!

(SurfaceOSX)

This is my first attempt at a hackintosh of any sort - other than the mac I have running in VirtualBox.  I used that Virtualbox, to create the clover boot drive.  I've attempted to do this several times, but keep getting the same result after booting to the flash drive.

I boot to the drive, and go down to the Options, and add -x to boot arg, and then press space bar while on hte thumb drive.

0sxAptioFixFrv: Starting overrides for .IABootFiles\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
efiboot loaded from device: Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/PCI(14|o)/Usb(2, 0)/HD(Part2,SigE7F7)

0736-7DBE-4FC9-B7D3-008057545AA5)
boot file path: .IABootFiles\boot.efi
,Using Safe Mode
.Error loading kernel cache (0xe)
Boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting...

then sits there until I manually reboot.  I have checked this thread, and the yosemite previous one, as well as the Maverick - but can not find anyone else with this issue.

Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

(SurfaceOSX)

This is my first attempt at a hackintosh of any sort - other than the mac I have running in VirtualBox.  I used that Virtualbox, to create the clover boot drive.  I've attempted to do this several times, but keep getting the same result after booting to the flash drive.

I boot to the drive, and go down to the Options, and add -x to boot arg, and then press space bar while on hte thumb drive.

0sxAptioFixFrv: Starting overrides for .IABootFiles\boot.efi

Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no

efiboot loaded from device: Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/PCI(14|o)/Usb(2, 0)/HD(Part2,SigE7F7)

0736-7DBE-4FC9-B7D3-008057545AA5)

boot file path: .IABootFiles\boot.efi

,Using Safe Mode

.Error loading kernel cache (0xe)

Boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting...

then sits there until I manually reboot.  I have checked this thread, and the yosemite previous one, as well as the Maverick - but can not find anyone else with this issue.

Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Add -v instead of -x and report result, please.

GG

No difference.  It seems to be an issue beforeany install actually starts.  This would lead me to believe it is something with either the boot thumb drive (followed the directions, step by step compared with the video), or that it is a security setting on the Surface Pro. I turned off hte secure boot, and see the red screen everytime i boot it.

Not sure what I missed.

To everybody having problem with loading kernel cache. Even though the guide tells you to only copy "and fakesmc and genericxhci to efi:clover:kexts:10.10", i had to copy all kexts there, and boot with kexts injected.

I managed to install my own 10.10.2, but after i managed to install Clover to the ssd and kexts with kextdrop, the normal boot doesn't use any kexts, except for audio. With injected kexts, i get everything else working, but audio.

So, how do i get kextdropped kexts to load from clover or get sound working with injected kexts?

Re-read other, and this thread, and tripped across calreid having the same issue on page 10 or so. (Sigh, I know only two pages back.)  Got it to book into disk utility, only the screen was all staticy. I had been trying with different kext files in the 10.10 folder, and hadn't had any luck.  I tried booting with injected, no cache and did not include -x or -v, and it got me in.

I'm going to remove all of the kexts that I added and try again, to see if I can get back there - but without the static to see what I am doing!

What makes this more interesting, is that my virtual Hackintosh is on my surface pro.. so once it starts going, I will be wiping out the machine it is on. 

I am embarrassed that I missed the last problem listed in the thread...  Will try all the various things Cal, Adene and Gaz suggested before I post again!

Installing now.. For some reason my installer is in italian (never got a language prompt), and the screen is all staticy.. But it IS installing at the moment.

So, finished installing and following step 3.  With the kext drop done, and a reboot - my screen looks normal, although it does flash a bit as I log in.

but about that reboot.. Even after installing clover to the internal drive, I have to use my thumb drive to boot.  If I boot from the clover installed to hte SSD, I get the message:

This version of MAc os X is not supported on this platform!

Reason: Surface with Windows 8 Pro

Has this come up for anyone before?

I'm wondering if this may be due to the version of clover I used.  Would reinstalling a different version of clover cause any issues? Or do I need to remove the current one somehow - first?

This version of MAc os X is not supported on this platform!

Reason: Surface with Windows 8 Pro

Never had such a weird error, please post some screenshot.

Looking at when folks started reporting the weird issues with clover, could the January 15 201t firmware update from Microsoft have caused an issue? It's listed as being a uefi security update

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/pro-update-history

The latest version of clover (3185) installed to the Surface Pro resolved the booting issue.  This version would not work on the thumb drive install, but was good here! Now to get all of the audio/usb/etc working.. And pickup a wireless dongle!

Making progress!  Thank you for writing this awesome guide!

• Like 1

I attempt to install it on hp stream 7 but i end up stucked with an underscore on the screen, i add -v but still stucked, anyone attempted on other tablet device?

That tablet uses a quad core Atom Bay Trail, I really doubt you'll get it running OS X. I believe snow leopard was the last os with atom support.

hello,

i have a working surface pro with yosemite latest version and everything seems to work stable.i just have some questions to make.

can i enable trim support?
can i see temps?fakesmc plugins works?

is kext-dev-mode=1 boot flag necessary?

i have sound work from voodoo kexts not applehda.

sometimes surface stuck on bluetooth boot error.do you have same experience?

thanks

chris

Has anyone successfully gotten clover to boot on an up to date surface pro 1?  I have only been able to pull off getting clover to boot with secure boot disabled (get invalid signature error when manually selecting UEFI boot with it enabled).  First time giving this a shot on my SP1, to my knowledge windows 8/firmware have been updated to current.

edit:  looks like i'm experiencing similar issues to silkchaos... I'm at least able to boot installer using the more generic RehabMan tutorial on tonymac but looks like I'm not 100% able to complete it yet.  I definitely think something changed on the latest update.  Will let you know what I find once I dig through the config.plist/dsdt/ssdt