[Guide] Surface Pro 1st gen Yosemite clean installation

JahStories

380 posts in this topic

good so, yes the edimax is now the big project!

It was working perfectly with the install from the MAnufacturer's website for several days - but that quit saturday (and no forum to search for answers!!!)   Now it connects to the router, but isn't really on a network.

Now that the forum is back up, I can find my answer!  I will keep you informed!

It was working perfectly with the install from the MAnufacturer's website for several days - but that quit saturday (and no forum to search for answers!!!)   Now it connects to the router, but isn't really on a network.

Now that the forum is back up, I can find my answer!  I will keep you informed!

Glad you got it working, i gave up at the end as i followed the guide to the end, and with the other files and no luck, every time i boot in and install audio doesnt work, screen is too dim and system doesnt recognize my edimax nano wifi usb adapter :/ multitouch is also broken

anyways if you got time would you mind to pm me what exactly did you do and what did you install when you did a reinstall with vudo's files

Glad you got it working, i gave up at the end as i followed the guide to the end, and with the other files and no luck, every time i boot in and install audio doesnt work, screen is too dim and system doesnt recognize my edimax nano wifi usb adapter :/ multitouch is also broken

anyways if you got time would you mind to pm me what exactly did you do and what did you install when you did a reinstall with vudo's files

Of course, Let me re-do it, so I know I am giving you the correct information, and I will write it up.  We can see if we can get the walk-through updated as well, and maybe help out some other folk as well.  It sounds like you are doing well, up until the kext install parts, so I suspect you will be very pleased at how quickly you get it going.   Btw, in order to get your touch screen fully functional, you will need to purchase the driver.  i decided 100 bucks wasn't worth it, although I know he offered a group discount once. If we can get the people to do another one (if there are enough people that still need it), i'd help put that together.

read my guide! if y have the pack then u also have the link to the guide... because the installation is very simple:

(only on the side y get by pm there is the installation pack in version 2.0.3, last update)

1. create usb pen by command.

2. install clover (picture), theme is bootcamp.

3. copy fakesmc & gnericuhcx, dsdt & ssdt, config.plist to pen.

4. start from pen, press spacebar - start without cache and with injected kext.

5. install yosemit - screen is dim! this change after reboot.

6. boot yosemite first time, drop all kext-files to s/l/e by kextdrop, repair permission and rebuild cache - reboot

7. install clover on local drive too, enter dsdt, ssdt and config

ps: every time y boot up via pen-drive, press "space" and boot without cache and with injected kext!

after drop of all files after first boot of yosemite, the dim-screen is gone and every hardware is running - no internal wlan

6. boot yosemite first time, drop all kext-files to s/l/e by kextdrop, repair permission and rebuild cache - reboot

ok one more thing, regarding this step do i need to put them manually in S/L/E and also install them via kext-drop or just simply install them with kext-drop

ok one more thing, regarding this step do i need to put them manually in S/L/E and also install them via kext-drop or just simply install them with kext-drop

Kext drop will take care of it.

I then used kext wizard to repair the permissions and rebuild cache - although kext drop should do it.  I figured it couldn't hurt.

read my guide! if y have the pack then u also have the link to the guide... because the installation is very simple:

(only on the side y get by pm there is the installation pack in version 2.0.3, last update)

ps: every time y boot up via pen-drive, press "space" and boot without cache and with injected kext!

after drop of all files after first boot of yosemite, the dim-screen is gone and every hardware is running - no internal wlan

followed all steps, and hdmi dont work and sometimes my surface boots perfectly with all graphic transitions smooth and sometimes it boots a little slow, choppy, laggy and slow transitions in graphics, i can feel the defference.

only those 2 problems.

followed all steps, and hdmi dont work and sometimes my surface boots perfectly with all graphic transitions smooth and sometimes it boots a little slow, choppy, laggy and slow transitions in graphics, i can feel the defference.

only those 2 problems.

if by hdmi you mean mini display port then its not supposed to work, tho there is somewhere a modded version of capri kext that someone posted that makes the mini display port functional but some users reported it wasnt working i think, check earlier posts in this thread

I've tried several guides online to try and get my surface pro 1 to dual boot, and I haven't yet found one that cuts it.  Currently, I need the pen-drive to boot into Mac.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Would be nice to be able to just leave my usb wireless in!

I've tried several guides online to try and get my surface pro 1 to dual boot, and I haven't yet found one that cuts it.  Currently, I need the pen-drive to boot into Mac.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Would be nice to be able to just leave my usb wireless in!

theres one option, if you leave ur windows partition and then shrink the volume and put osx there, you can make tablet boot manually into windows by enabling both options in surface pro BIOS which would make the surface bios boot from windows partition and ignore the osx FS, try doing that... then if you want to boot back into osx just access bios again (hold vol+ and turn on the device) and disable both options it will start booting again from efi partition made by clover (didnt try this but shouldnt work - used this technique to reinstall windows back after giving up on osx, tmrw or this week will try to make a dual boot win-osx)

on usb pen y can copy by finder, under OS X y have to drop by kextdrop and after that use kext wizard to rebuild cache and permissions, then restart.

the other thing y tell is sometimes slow and sometimes fast, there is a bug in clover to load the system-id right.

i hope this will be fix in future. it also comes from the external usb-port, if there is a dongle insert.

in moment i try different usb dongle to find out how.. stay tuned.

my workaround is: update clover after installation to v3185 then y have build 3172:3182 combination installed local and plug-in the dongle after login.

if y want to use windows partition too, thats simple. y have to follow the that step in my guide, because read here in forum "multi boot" guide.

i use windows 8.1 pro and yosemite 10.10.2 on the surface very well.

if y want to use windows partition too, thats simple. y have to follow the that step in my guide, because read here in forum "multi boot" guide.

i use windows 8.1 pro and yosemite 10.10.2 on the surface very well.

The instructions in your guide (after being run through google translate as I don't read German)

3.1 bootmgrfw.efi (EFI / Microsoft / boat) rename: bootmgfw-old.efi

(If not bootmgrfw be present, then "bootmgfw" in rename "bootmgfw-old.efi"! ')

3.2 CLOVERX64.efi (EFI / CLOVER) copy by: EFI / Microsoft / boat

3.3 CLOVERX64.efi (EFI / Microsoft / boat) rename: Bootmgfw.efi

3.4 All check again and then reboot, done.

upon doing this, clover does boot up by default, showing the Mac Partition, the Rescue Partition and the windows partition.

20150311_165017_zpsn62aetxm.jpg

However, when I choose the windows partition on the right, the screen changes to, and stays at:

20150311_165116_zpskcywy4le.jpg

It never gets in to windows.

Y have to add custom entries in gui and set: scan+entrie

have a look at here - in older version of clover the entrie isn't needed..W

Worked perfectly!  Thank you. I did have to add a custom entry for Mac OS as well - but works smoothly.

Now, back to the edimax.  Installing the driver seems to wreck all of the other ones we add - screen goes fuzzy, USB 2 and audio stop working..  I imaged the tablet, so I can just restore and try whatever the new attempt is. this has made finding wrong installs a bit easier to deal with!

Time to google some more, as once the wireless is working i am at 100%!

Hi Vudo and others, I am a newbie and followed this guide on my SP1 but once I boot from the pen without cache and with injected kext I get this message and then it reboots.. Can someone please help?

IMG_1365.jpg

Hi Vudo and others, I am a newbie and followed this guide on my SP1 but once I boot from the pen without cache and with injected kext I get this message and then it reboots.. Can someone please help?

When you boot to your pen drive, try each of the choices (with or without cache/kext/etc..)  - you may find you need to use one of the others to get it to go.

Worked perfectly!  Thank you. I did have to add a custom entry for Mac OS as well - but works smoothly.

Now, back to the edimax.  Installing the driver seems to wreck all of the other ones we add - screen goes fuzzy, USB 2 and audio stop working..  I imaged the tablet, so I can just restore and try whatever the new attempt is. this has made finding wrong installs a bit easier to deal with!

Time to google some more, as once the wireless is working i am at 100%!

So it seems I had messed up my config.plist - so that any time I would try to install the wireless, it would mess up all the others.

For dual booting - it seems it is a very good idea to get your Mac OS X install working 100%, before tackling the dual boot!  (and remember, clonezilla your disk - so you can just reload the image!)

Completely functional Yosemite 10.10.2 and Windows 8.1!   WOO HOO!!!! (now to add android on the SD Card!)

• Like 1

Thanks silkchaos - unfortunately that didn't work but will keep on trying and post if i find answer..

What version of clover are you using?  I had to go back to version 3113 or so - to get one that worked on the pen drive.

then had to use the latest version to install on the tablet.

• Like 1

What version of clover are you using?  I had to go back to version 3113 or so - to get one that worked on the pen drive.

then had to use the latest version to install on the tablet.

3113 as well for the installation.. If I try safe mode it shows an error loading kernelcache (0x9).. could there be a problem with the drive?

I would re-make the pen-drive installation and/or use another drive.  Try and eliminate that as the issue.

I would re-make the pen-drive installation and/or use another drive.  Try and eliminate that as the issue.

Thanks to all for their help so far - I have the same problem as above, tried another pen drive but no luck, its not that as the pen drive I used the second time was one I have previously used to install Mavericks and Yosemite DP on the same Surface Pro.

Happy to try other things if anyone has any suggestions but I am stuck!

Thanks to all for their help so far - I have the same problem as above, tried another pen drive but no luck, its not that as the pen drive I used the second time was one I have previously used to install Mavericks and Yosemite DP on the same Surface Pro.

Happy to try other things if anyone has any suggestions but I am stuck!

Hi. Had the same issue. Look in clover about your options. The boot Args are the problem... darkwake=0 npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 is enough for me to boot. Then select your install and press space, choose: with injected kext. I dont know if this matters but in my kext-10.10-folder on the EFI-partition (stick and internal) i have only two kexts: GenericUSBXHCI and FakeSMC (up to now... not finish yet...) but it works, with shortly distorted booting-logo while booting from disk, booting from stick is fine) AH ... and I use clover rev.3113 for stick and internal (a must for the stick, for internal ...lets see.. ;) )

Also try once booting without caches and with injected kexts (with surely stuck boot) then boot again with injected kext only.

If this works for you, edit your config.plist to make it permanent (boot args).

3113 as well for the installation.. If I try safe mode it shows an error loading kernelcache (0x9).. could there be a problem with the drive?

The safe mode is not functioning (in my installs up to now). Maybe it belongs to the stuff i wrote above.

@all: One more thing... IMHO you need a yosemite-install fully functional BEFORE you think about dual-boot. I am doing it right now with this approach: (for this you need clonezilla-backups of the whole win8-drive in advance (safety) and backups of your single partitions - manage your partition size also in advance before you do this) Yosemite install on a clean hfs+ partition ( about 40GB in my case... because the win-partition is so blown up)  / clover install / Windows 8 install / clover fixes  AND THEN i get my clonezilla-backup of WIN8 (and the 2 other partitions related to win ...not the EFI) restore it back to the partition where i installed the new win8.  

I tried to install OSX beside my Win8.1 ...resulted in some sort of disk corruption after a couple of boots, and clover hung on "searching for bootoptions". The OSX partition was unfixable (macdrive, gparted). :(

UPDATE: Yes it works as written above. Dual-Boot with keeping your Win8 partition (via clonezilla). SURE: You need the Yosemite FIRST on your clean drive then clone your Win8 back to drive.

BTW: Strange thing: while installing, i was not able to use the diskmanagmenttool to format the partition or drive... stuck. i needed to get my good old reliable mavericks-boot-stick to get that done. Anybody?!

Use older clover version to create pen drive like 3113 for install, the one in the installation pack - after success update to the actually one. If not y get different errors, just follow the guide, don't change the boot arguments or something others.

On pen drive u need "fakesmc & genericxusbxhci" and boot "without cache and white injection kext"

Some tips but written in guide too.

Hi

Thanks for the responses.

Tried the suggestions made above, can't seem to get it to work with any variation, clover 3113 from scratch, tried with the different args, different boot options - no joy....

All hangs at the same point still.

Hi

Thanks for the responses.

Tried the suggestions made above, can't seem to get it to work with any variation, clover 3113 from scratch, tried with the different args, different boot options - no joy....

All hangs at the same point still.

Is yours a single-boot system (yosemite only) or a multiboot (still with win8 on)?