[Guide] Surface Pro 1st gen Yosemite clean installation

JahStories

380 posts in this topic

So I wanted to say this work you guys have put in on this is AWESOME! and Thank you!

Now for my problem. I 2 have followed the guide to a "T" if you will several times over now retracing my steps and even got as far as OS X loaded on my Surface however my issue is its in the WRONG language....   :(   

I have no idea why its like in Italian or something...  And no where does it ever allow me to select a different region or language, the OS X installer comes up to do the Disk utility to format the hard drive and its in Italian  and then even if I continue I made it through the entire install but still wrong language and I cant change it when its done. :(

I really feel dumb here as I dont see anyone else has had this issue as I read all the post here... What am I doing wrong guys?

Thanks again for any feedback and direction.

@ slowang

When installing clover, make sure you install the uefi64 drivers. The newer version on clover seems to include and additional diver that you must skip during installation named osxaptiofixdrv2. Once I skipped that driver I was able to proceed further in the installation.

I've actually have not been able to install this properly. I consider myself a capable hackintosher able to follow instruction pretty well. Unfortunately this guide has not yielded positive results for me. I either get stuck with missing Bluetooth transport error or kernel panic with this. post-354868-14184187603576_thumb.jpg

On my last install, same thing happened, don't know why but you can just change language on installer screen to English?

I never get the option to change the language on the installer screen :) or I would lol. Or maybe I just dont know where the option is? Direction would be awesome! And Thank you Ethan9482!

I'll need to look at mine to remember, think counter5th might be right, click the back arrow?

Thanks Guys for all the help I actually found a way to change it in that screen shot I sent, if you select File\change language   guess what it works! LOL I just couldnt read the options under the file drop down because it was in another language so i guessed messing around and found it. Problem solved So I am currently installing Yosemite now. :)  Will keep you posted on what I run into next!

What size usb sticks are you guys using. I'm using 32gb thumb drives and none have worked so far. I'm trying to figure out the issue. So far I'm leaning toward clover being the culprit. Depending on the version of clover , it includes different drivers the make the installation video incorrect. We need to narrow down which of the UEFI 64 drivers the surface pro actually needs.

I've had zero issues with latest version of clover.. And Ive been using a 16gb usb drive. One thing I do know you cannot boot this in safe mode. You must boot without caches and injected kexts or just with injected kexts is how I have been able to get mine installed. However I still have the graphics issues as stated above. Now that I have the frameratebuffer kext installed it is very laggy and still glitches on normal and injected kext boot. I however am not familiar enough with how to roll back to the default one?

Also I would get a kernal panic and missing bluetooth if I did not have the kexts or config files in the correct location of the Actual EFI partition that clover makes.

Firstly thank you for the detailed guide for installing.

I am running mavericks 10.9.5 on my SP1 after following your other guide.

I have successfully made the USB key using your instructions, the problem I have is that when trying to install using the options you specify in part 2, my surface gets stuff on the second row of plus signs at the beginning.

Please advise, is this because I already have Clover installed on the SSD of the surface pro?

:) :) :)

Edit : All Yesomite now, I used the config.plist suggested in the above thread by InsanelyMac Protégé. Installed fine. My install was a little different as I just installed on top of the existing mavericks 10.9.5. All running perfect no issues.

However I am still a little confused how to get the extra resolutions with Switch res as when I save the new resolution it never installs and always remains not installed, any help would be appreciated.????

Hi,

I got everything to work. Excellent job guys, but here are my observations.

The issue with the bad or laggy display. I was able to fix  by using the DSDT file and Appleintelframebuffercapri.kext from post #59.

you may want to update the Surface pro file to include it.

When I updated to version 10.10.1, I had to remove the Appleintelframebuffercapri.kext and reinstall it again. Everything when smoothly.

Questions:

1. How do I get a on-screen keyboard to display at logon prompt? so that I may enter my password without connecting the keyboard.

and

2. I can rotate the screen, but the pointer is still of axis, is there a fix for it. I'm using a rotate utility found online from Mage. V1.2 display rotation menu. It works , again the mouse does not seem to follow.

thanks

I have successfully instaled Yosemite 10.10.1 on my 1st Gen MSFT Surface Pro. However, I am unsure which kexts are needed to correct the entires in my "Hardware Profile"

unable to get the sound displayPort or wifi working (w/ external USB wifi dongle). Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, Thank you for sharing this guide. Unfortunately, I am having trouble installing Yoesmite on my SP1.

I have done the following:

1) Created the usb drive and have yoesmite installed on it.

2) Used Clover r3033 to created a EFI partition on the usb drive and have the required files copied across, refer to  'Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 11.32.49 pm.png' attached.

3) Managed to boot my Surface Pro with the usb drive

4) Appended '-x' at the boot arguments under Options

5) Selected to Boot with kexts injection. This is where i got stuck, a error message appear on the screen, please refer to '20141202_230914.jpg' attached.

What have i done wrong? Any help will be very much appreciated.

mine did the same thing. I got rid of the step where you put in -x, I dont even open that, I go straight to the boot and hit space and choose no cache with injection. It worked for me.

Everytime i did -x I got that same error.

For everyone getting the installation in italian. All you need to do is click what you perceive to be the cancel button when the installer first starts, then hover your mouse on the top right to get the menu bar to come down. Choose what looks like language. It will then come up with a language that you can choose.

Having issues with audio. I know it should work because it has on my past installs. 

I for sure used applehda and the eapdfix

used them with kextdrop and also tried kext utility... no luck. tried changing the config and dsdt back, and it just started causing graphic issues and audio still didn't work. 

also am getting a problem when choosing inject, every other time it boots slowly and comes up with the graphic problem, then i hold down the power button and reboot and it will boot fine... not sure why it doesn't boot.

I completely deleted windows, so now it just boots to clover, is it possible to just boot straight to yosemite with injection?

thanks @JahStories, but looks like the problem its not driver related only.

already solved the problem of my edimax ew-7811un (RTL8192CU). look like many hackintoshes have that problem, its related to usb 3.0 diver too.

How did you fix this u have the same problems with the same wifi chipset

-Firmware Version-

Hi. About all the strange problems installing yosemite to this machine, can you just check your FIRMWARE-VERSIONS of your surface and post it here?!

HOWTO:

You need a running Win8. There is an entry in the device-manger about firmware

right click the Start Button in Desktop mode

manage device
Device Management
Firmware
doubleclick one item under Firmware
Tab: Driver

Mine are:

1st entry:  Firmwareresource: Date 21.06.2006 / Version 6.3.9600.16384

2nd entry: SurfaceProEmbeddedControllerFirmware: Date 26.12.2013 / Version: 9.0.50.0

3nd entry: SurfaceProSystemAggregatorFirmware: Date 09.05.2014 / Version: 2.84.350.0

4th entry:  SurfaceProUEFI: Date 01.05.2014 / Version: 1.6.350.0

I can not install yosemite. It hangs before install screen...

I can not even install Mavericks (as i used to before...) 

Thanks in Advance

Please use the badge -Firmware Version-

1st entry:  Firmwareresource: Date 21.06.2006 / Version 6.3.9600.16384

2nd entry: SurfaceProEmbeddedControllerFirmware: Date 26.12.2013 / Version: 9.0.50.0

3nd entry: SurfaceProSystemAggregatorFirmware: Date 09.05.2014 / Version: 2.84.350.0

4th entry:  SurfaceProUEFI: Date 01.05.2014 / Version: 1.6.350.0

the same entrys like you

• Like 1