[Guide] Surface Pro 1st gen Yosemite clean installation

JahStories

380 posts in this topic

OK, I did a couple of tests around backing up & restoring my pen drive.

There is something with the boot options I do not understand, but I have to share it.

My restored pen drive does not boot, it ends (EDIT for clarity: Clover, boot selection the option that says "inject kext & no cache") with the (0xe) error.

If I add the -v option, it does boot 100% of the time. Just turning verbose mode on fixes it.

So your options should say "darkwake=0 npci=0x2000 -v" and give it a try.

Cheers,

GG

Cheers,

GG

Is this with or without kext injection?

Cheers,

GG

Is this with or without kext injection?

Oh, I formulated poorly, my bad. Without cache & With kext injection. Looks like Ayane has it working using the kext injection only. Try both :-)

Oh, I formulated poorly, my bad. Without cache & With kext injection. Looks like Ayane has it working using the kext injection only. Try both :-)

In my case:

• -v, -x or any combo did not work, the installer not boot
  • Without cache & kext injection will not boot

I solve the (0xe) Error, Workaround: Use older Clover Version like v3113. With the updated one the error occurred!

Some more: GenericXHCI is in Version 1.2.8d (File-Pack) but online is the 1.2.7, with is to use?

Up until today I was making my installers with mountain lion, had a weird issue whereby the EFI partition would never eject, even force eject didn't work.

Updated both my desktops to 10.9.5 today, kept onto mountain lion for so long because my systems are used for video editing and once I have a solid setup I stick with it as long as I can.

Anyway, made up a fresh installer today on my Mavericks system and it worked a treat, EFI ejected easily.

Working with Gaz and following his sterling advice, I've made the most progress installing Yosemite today than I ever have before. As Gaz has suggested, booting with -v worked the best. It's taken a while but I've made it to an apple logo eventually, however it's currently hanging and the progress bar isn't moving. Will hold off for another 10 minutes or so and will see if it moves.

EDIT: Unfortunatley I didn't get progress, now ive retried without cache and injected Kexts and Ive made it to the installer. Unfortunatley now I'm being told that the installer can't verify this copy of Yosemite installer. Ha back to square on for now.

Hey calreid,

I would say you made huge progress. You are booting and get the installer: you have a proper recipe for boot.

I never got the error of the pen drive boot telling me it could not verify the installer. Did you redo your pen drive as per this thread's guide, or do you work out of a restored DMG copy?

Vudo, I used the files from the pack, so I did stick with GenericXHCI 1.2.8d7 (I did test with 1.2.7 and the pen drive did not boot, your mileage may vary). There is a more recent 1.2.8d9 out there (Google is your friend) and I can report that it works too to build a pen drive. I still have to update GenericXHCI to 1.2.8d9 on my SP1 internal SSD to confirm it works (but I am confident now). I was playing with more recent fakesmc.kext (6.9.1315) version, but it does just stall at boot, loading it. At last, I did all my tests with Clover 3128. On my SP1, once installed & working, I did upgrade to 3142 and it still worked. But I never made a pen drive with a more recent version than 3128.

Cheers!

@GAZ

Yeah I've made good progress, really appreciate your help.

I was using an applications based installer, not a restored version. The version of 10.10 I have I sourced from the Internet, by the time I came to try this only 10.1 was availible. The origins of the installer may well be the issue.

Going to try a couple of ideas that I've had to see if I can make progress.

Cheers

Calum

Ok, progress update.

Got into the installer again, this time using a key based on 10.10.2 from the App Store and using the Giles and clover from the surface pro files package. I used ignore cache and injected Kexts as my boot option.

However still having issues with install as its claiming the installer isn't verified. Strange as I used the same installers to create desktop Yosemite installs and didn't have any problem.

One thread online said that they had this verification problem with a Mac mini that wasn't using stock ram (won't be changing out the RAM in my surface anytime soon!)

Will let you guys know if I have any progress.

Cheers,

Calum

I installed Yosemite on an external Hard Drive. The first boot was a fail, with the "no" sign on screen. I boot again bit with the -v and it boot, but it looks like the kext loading failed.

EDIT: Yes! Without cache and inject kext works and now I can boot from an external USB hard drive...

EDIT: After deleting the kext cache I can boot normally. Now I can use the internal SSD for Windows and my external 500GB HDD for OSX.

EDIT: Is there a way to change the display to an external monitor? I had the HDMI adapter but it is not working.

Finally some success!

Don't want to speak too early but I am currently watching Yosemite install! Got past the installer verification issue by setting the date and time in terminal in the installer.

Well let you know if the installer completes and the system boots.

EDIT: Sigh... Another issue. The installer gets the whole way though, down to the about 1 second, however there is no install complete message, the system just restarts.

Apon rebooting Clover I end up back at square one, no distro is detected on the internal drive, I just see the option to install again..

• Like 2

Got past the installer verification issue by setting the date and time in terminal in the installer.

(...)

EDIT: Sigh... Another issue. The installer gets the whole way though, down to the about 1 second, however there is no install complete message, the system just restarts.

Upon rebooting Clover I end up back at square one, no distro is detected on the internal drive, I just see the option to install again..

You're still making progress. Thanks for the date & time fix, I would not have thought about it.

I don't remember what happens when my SP1 did complete setup, it was so long I was not there and the SP had rebooted & froze (trying to boot without kext injection). But I could see the installed disk. Can you restart the installer, & start Disk Utility to check that everything is fine on your internal SSD?

GG

Thank you very much for this awesome guide! I have Yosemite up and running! The only problem I have is that sound is choppy. Have you got that problem too? Haven't installed framebuffer capri because launchpad was so slow. Could it be the cause? Thank you!

Hi,

My first installation was even worse that yours (it is documented in this thread). I do not have choppy sound and it is not reported as a common issue (e.g. sound input not working), so you can either try to get to the end of it, or redo your installation to see if it leads to a better result (personally I tried to fix my mess and after a few hours, went for the wipe & start over again - second attempt was the right one).

GG

Ok well, after rebooting the installer from another key, that had 10.10.2 on it rather than 10.10, I was able to continue the install and finish it.

I got to desktop and got the machine working, installed the Kexts and I'm now getting the Bluetooth controller transport issue.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292880-apple-logo-stuck-and-missing-bluetooth-controller-transport/

Trying to follow the above guide, but can't for the life of me work out how to type "*" on my keyboard, it's the raised star not the asterisk you get for pressing shift and 8.

Any ideas? It's driving me nuts that something so silly is stopping me now!

• Like 1

@Calreid: Use the on-screen keyboard.

Sorry should have clarified, I'm typing this during single user boot.

Trying to type : mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelF* intel_back/

Well i finally did it, got a working surface running 10.10.2.

Everything works other than internal audio input, used all kexts except Capri.

So far getting far battery battery life than in windows, RDM and Keyup are great.

Cheers to those that helped, especially GAZ.

post-546147-0-74059200-1423496323_thumb.png

• Like 1

Sure!

When I force sleep the SP1, never wake up. When the energy control put it on sleep, neither it is.

Well i finally did it, got a working surface running 10.10.2.

Everything works other than internal audio input, used all kexts except Capri.

So far getting far battery battery life than in windows, RDM and Keyup are great.

Cheers to those that helped, especially GAZ.

I see in your screen the icon of the multidisplay...Your HDMI outoput work well?

@iotduna

I see in your screen the icon of the multidisplay...Your HDMI outoput work well?

Actually that's just the display resolution switcher, I'll test multi display later.

Calum

@iotduna

Actually that's just the display resolution switcher, I'll test multi display later.

Calum

Of course, I should saw the wrong icon.

Of course, I should saw the wrong icon.

No luck on the external display. Got a cheap mini DP to hdmi adapter off ebay, adapter may be the cause but more likely a issue with the kexts. Don't have framebuffer installed, just default.