[Guide] Surface Pro 1st gen Yosemite clean installation

JahStories

380 posts in this topic

@calreid

With EDITS to clarify

First make sure your create the USB 10.10 boot key as per post #1 then to install Clover on the Pen Drive follow post #65 of this thread (in post #1 it says "when done, install the latest clover to the pen, choosing efi installation" where post #65 details exactly what has to be selected:

JahStories said

• Select your USB Drive and the select “Custom Install”
  • Select “Install for UEFI booting only”
  • Select Themes
  • Select Drivers64UEFI

And provide also really detailed instructions to complete the Clover EFI configuration (plist, dsdt, kext...) - Frank Pacheto did a great post:

1. Ensure the EFI partition on your USB Drive is mounted. 

2. Create a new folder in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/Kext/ Name it "10.10" (NOTE: this folder should already exist in recent Clover versions)

3. Copy the  fakesmc.kext file from  /SurfacePro 1° Gen FilesPackage V.0.5.1/Drivers/ folder to  /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/Kext/10.10/ folder

4. Copy the  GenericUSBXHCI.kext file from  /SurfacePro 1° Gen FilesPackage V.0.5.1/Drivers/Yosemite Only/  folder to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/Kext/10.10/ folder         

5. Copy  the dsdt.aml and ssdt.aml files from  /SurfacePro 1° Gen FilesPackage V.0.5.1/ folder to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/ folder

6. Copy  the config.plist file from  /SurfacePro 1° Gen FilesPackage V.0.5.1/Dsdt & SSDT/ folder to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/ folder

I had issues initially to exactly understand what was needed regarding Clover options to push on the USB drive, and that did lead to many kernel panic.

Second, as mentioned in several threads, try "without cache & with kext injection AND without the -x option. I have the same issue: adding -x leads to a never ending boot process. Whereas simply booting without cache & with kext injection works fine.

I have been using an USB 2.0 HUB and USB 2.0 drive, so I can't comment on your particular USB 3.0 devices use.

Let us know how it goes!

@calreid

First make sure your create the USB 10.10 boot key as per post #1 then follow post #65 of this thread for the Clover installation. I had issues initially to exactly understand what was needed regarding Clover options to push on the USB drive, and that did lead to many kernel panic.

@gazgaz76 Using get info on the installer says that its version 1.6.7, apparently thats 10.0.1. Assuming that may be my issue?

EDIT: Apologies, didn't make what I was asking very clear. Turns out I was using a 10.10.1 installer, got a hold of an original 10.10 installer now so will try it.

The USB3.0 key boots fine directly plugged in to the surface, however it the surface no longer boots from it if it's plugged into the hub. I'll try a usb2 drive first, failing that I'll have to buy a touch/type cover. Was looking at a power cover anyway.

I've tried now with both a USB 2.0 drive and a USB 3.0, with the correct 10.10 installer and the result is in the attached image.

The result is the same with Injected kexts and cache with or without -x safe boot.

Had a google around other threads but haven't managed to find a way around it yet, as i mentioned earlier i have tried the suggested alternate config file.

Using the latest version of Clover for the USB drives.

post-546147-0-34593700-1422631581_thumb.jpg

Hi there

thank you for this very well documented guide.

I made a clean install of Yosemite on my "Surface Pro 1 st Gen".

Everything works except the sound! I do not understand why.

For audio, I took kext from "Yosemite only" directory, with KextDrop (v1.1 cause otherwise it stopped working after the first reboot - white windows etc.). I made it another time etc.

Should I change something in files ?

Help !

NB: For those who complain about a -x flag not working at boot, write only "x" in the line of options and not "-x")

Do you still use your USB 3.0 hub? Can you try with a USB 2.0 hub?

I found an old USB2.0 hub in my drawers and tested with it, got to Clover but i still had the same boot issue in the previous post. Wondering if the hub is the issue and if it would work with the drive directly plugged in. I may have to buy one of the keyboards for the surface. The keyboards look a bit rubbish sadly considering their cost.

Guys I'm using the 0.5.1 provided dsdt and drivers but I don't have audio input. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

+1

I'm experiencing the same problem. I tried many times and it didn't work (reinstall kext, permissions repairs etc.) I think we need probably to edit something in dsdt ... 

+1

I'm experiencing the same problem. I tried many times and it didn't work (reinstall kext, permissions repairs etc.) I think we need probably to edit something in dsdt ...

+1

I'm having that problem too, and i really need audio input.

I found an old USB2.0 hub in my drawers and tested with it, got to Clover but i still had the same boot issue in the previous post. Wondering if the hub is the issue and if it would work with the drive directly plugged in. I may have to buy one of the keyboards for the surface. The keyboards look a bit rubbish sadly considering their cost.

OK, you have an USB 2.0 Hub, did you try with your USB 3.0 drive, or do you have a USB 2.0 one to test, or yet another USB drive to use? I remember seeing in the Maverick related SP1 thread people getting issues with some USB keys, moving to another and getting better luck. I would advise against being those very expensive MS keyboards for now. One thing I learned so far from my test: if everybody else has it working but me, then I have an issue and I can fix it :-) If everybody else has the issue, then it is an issue (hello, audio input & built-in WiFi!)

I am using an USB 2.0 hub, installed with a USB 2.0 drive (8GB I had at hand), have networking through an Apple USB adapter and use a USB keyboard & mouse. If it works for me, and it did work for everybody else in this thread, you might be closer from success than you think.

Could you keep track & get images of your installation steps from making the USB install drive up to you issue and post it? that would help in spotting the detail that stops you. Let us know,

GG

Could you keep track & get images of your installation steps from making the USB install drive up to you issue and post it? that would help in spotting the detail that stops you. Let us know,

Thanks again for the reply. Ok, as of now i have attempted install with the following:

USB2.0 32GB drive, USB3.0 Corsair 64GB drive and 32GB Sandisk Micro SD card. I have used both a USB3.0 hub and a USB2.0 hub in attempting this.

I have read through the posts here and attempted every step as per the guide and tried the various suggestions, including the different config file.

Below is a video of my attempt with another drive, an 8GB USB2.0 drive that I have created a number of 10.6 and 10.8 Hackintoshes using. 

Hopefully someone will spot where I am going wrong.

Cheers,

Calum

@callum,

Whao that was great! It sure helps understanding what you did. What software did you used to capture your screen?

One thing I would try: you load a GenericUSBXHCI kext from a third party folder (version 1.2.7 for Yosemite). I used the one in the 0.5.1 pack, under Drivers/Yosemite Only

This later copy is of version 1.2.8d7. I did find & considered using that v1.2.7 you are using, based on its more recent date than the one in the 0.5.1 Pack, but decided NOT to use it in the end. I AM using v1.2.8d7 from the 0.5.1 Pack.

We're supposed to use files from the Pack only :-) and the release number of the 0.5.1 pack is higher, the file is also 21KB bigger than version 1.2.7.

If your USB driver fails to load, then obviously there is no boot. Please try with the v1.2.8d7 kext from the 0.5.1 pack and let us know if you go further. It is the only difference I can spot in your setup, compared to mine. Let's remove that difference and see what happens :-)

Cheers,

GG

Edited by GazGaz76

@callum,

Whao that was great! It sure helps understanding what you did. What software did you used to capture your screen?

If your USB driver fails to load, then obviously there is no boot. Please try with the v1.2.8d7 kext from the 0.5.1 pack and let us know if you go further. It is the only difference I can spot in your setup.

GG

For that i just used the quicktime player screen cap, every mac should have it. It's not the highest quality screen capture, but the filesizes are very reasonable and its ideal for this kind of job. Open Quicktime and then go "file/ New screen recording".

Will test the USB and let you know mate, just wanted to tell you about the screencap just now.

Calum

EDIT - Managed to get the mavericks installer to boot, which says to me theres definitely something up with the files or Yosemite install method I'm using. Seeing as Gaz has confirmed this is the steps he used, I'm wondering if i have some bad files. 

Same issues here, as calreid, I've used two different USB drives, and the genericusbXHCI from the pack and from third party and nothing.

EDIT: Is it possible that the Yosemite download from the store is not good for use as installer?

I have two versions of the installer, 10.10.1 and 10.10. Funnily enough I actually initally had minor progress with the 10.10.1 version, but it hanged during the install. With 10.10 I get nothing, has an immediate issue with the kernel.

Up until now I had created my install drives on a mountain lion machine, will try making it on a Yosemite machine tomorrow. Will also try the 10.10.1 installer again and see what stopped that install.

I have two versions of the installer, 10.10.1 and 10.10. Funnily enough I actually initally had minor progress with the 10.10.1 version, but it hanged during the install. With 10.10 I get nothing, has an immediate issue with the kernel.

Up until now I had created my install drives on a mountain lion machine, will try making it on a Yosemite machine tomorrow. Will also try the 10.10.1 installer again and see what stopped that install.

I tried to create the USB installer following the Mavericks guide (the mach_kernel changed to kernel) and it is a fail. I guess it is something with the Yosemite Installer (1.6.10 version here).

this is the error Im getting:

Error loading kernel cache (0xe)

boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting.

I tried to create the USB installer following the Mavericks guide (the mach_kernel changed to kernel) and it is a fail. I guess it is something with the Yosemite Installer (1.6.10 version here).

this is the error Im getting:

Error loading kernel cache (0xe)

boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting.

Thats the same issue I am getting with Yosemite installs, cant get around it.

I did use the "old" Yosemite installer I had on one of my disks, version 1.6.5.

Looks like guys with problems are using version 1.6.10. I'll download a recent Yosemite installer & make a pen drive out of it.

I'll report what it gives.

I did use the "old" Yosemite installer I had on one of my disks, version 1.6.5.

Looks like guys with problems are using version 1.6.10.

I've used 1.6.5 and 1.6.7 and had no luck. Think I actually got furthest with 1.6.7.

I'd be super interested to see how you manage dude.

I'll try with 1.6.5.

EDIT: 1.6.5 is working, after a long boot (with many warnings) Yosemite installer is working.

Glad it's working for you mate, got a couple of questions if you don't mind?

Did you just use the files in the surface 5.1 folder? Also what version of clover did you use?

If it hung for a considerable time did you use- x to boot?

And last question I promise! Did you get into yosemite after the install?

@calreid:

- I used the surface 5.1 files and the latest clover version

- The first time it took a lot of time and I tried with -v but I got the error, the same with "no cache and injected", the only way it worked is without the -v and "injected kexts".

- I can boot to Yosemite, but only after redoing all the partitions scheme, I lost my Windows partition.

- no sound, no Bluetooth, and I had issues with graphics and USB.

EDIT: Everything is working now (except wifi), sound (output only), bluetooth, display, etc... I used the latest fakesmc and genericUSBxhci.