Haswell-E mach_kernel patch (5960X, 5830K and 5820K) 10.10 - 10.10.1 Yosemite

stinga11

670 posts in this topic

NZXT S340  B)

Is that different from restoring in disk utility?

If so, I will try it.

It looks super badass. I always loved the super minimal look. Too bad it doesn't come in a full tower.

And yes, it is different. It probably uses diskutil in the background or something, but basically creates an installer is intended to work exactly like a standard app store installation. Hence why the recovery partition is created, which does not happen with the disk utility method.

While we're comparing d&^k sizes:

IMG_5739.jpg

IMG_5641.jpg

Only main issue right now is audio. Let's get it fixed   :yes:

Ok well I got Audio working on my rig thanks to Samtimbaud actually.  NOTE: I have the Asus X99 Deluxe with ALC1150.  If you download Rampage Dev's X99.dmg (meant for 10.9.5 - don't install other kexts from there unless you know what you're doing... SSDT works great tho :) ) he has the old AppleHDA kext on there that I believe he patched.  So install his AppleHDA.kext (from the dmg) then click through Toleda's  audiorealtekALC-90_v2.0.4 command, reboot and wa-lah!  On board audio.  Andrew's (cough cough, I mean Rampage Dev's) SSDT also delivers audio via GPU (DP1.2 for instance).  I spoke with him earlier and he said that he's in the process of updating his DMG for all X99 chips, so stay tuned and as always, donate to any dev that helps you out.  Thanks Samtimbaud for discovering that... 

10. Install latest Clover and Clover Configurator on your disk

11. Install nvidia web drivers if necessary

12. Use clover configurator to set your clover boot args and Mac Pro 6.1 smbios. Set nvda_drv=1 if you installed nvidia web drivers. 

Yes, thanks for doing that Cindori.  I get impatient sometimes when outlining steps like that and end up blowing through it.  Can you post your clover config.plist so we have a reference of where to begin?  I've only ever dabbled with Clover and I get it for the most part, but I'd like to see what all you're using.  I really want Clover to work, as I need iMessage, it would be nice to have a UEFI Windows install AND it seems like the smarter choice in the long run. 

• Like 2

I should have probably mentioned that the above audio fix works for Asus ALC1150.

What settings are you using in clover for audio and ssdt? I almost got audio working with his applehda somehow. 

I am not using Clover (yet).  I have been booting via Cham.  However I did an in-place patch using the following.  Note: this is for Asus boards with 1150 - I'm not sure how it would pan out any other way because this is NOT my work.  Credit goes to Toleda and Rampage Dev.  Samtimbaud took a shot in the dark and it worked... So anyway install the attached AppleHDA.kext to S/L/E (remove or rewrite original but back up) then after it's installed correctly run the command and follow the prompts.  Toleda's script is nicely written I must add.  After the patch process completes, reboot.  That's it.  Thanks Rampage Dev and Toleda! 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1nx6gqhvcxluqf/x99%20Audio%201150.zip?dl=0

• Like 2

I should have probably mentioned that the above audio fix works for Asus ALC1150.

I am not using Clover (yet).  I have been booting via Cham.  However I did an in-place patch using the following.  Note: this is for Asus boards with 1150 - I'm not sure how it would pan out any other way because this is NOT my work.  Credit goes to Toleda and Rampage Dev.  Samtimbaud took a shot in the dark and it worked... So anyway install the attached AppleHDA.kext to S/L/E (remove or rewrite original but back up) then after it's installed correctly run the command and follow the prompts.  Toleda's script is nicely written I must add.  After the patch process completes, reboot.  That's it.  Thanks Rampage Dev and Toleda! 

Thank you for the information. 

I was struggling because I had too many variables to deal with: AppleHDA,  HDAenabler, rampage ssdt, toleda script, BIOS settings and tons of clover settings; needless to say it was impossible to troubleshoot properly by isolating the issue.

I remade the Cham USB loader--per your hint--and indeed rampages SSDT with the AppleHDA, HDAenabler and then the script did work. 

Once I got those 4 variable out of the equation I know the problem had to be in clover or the BIOS.  I disabled NewWay under clover boot fixes and now audio works great under OS X. 

Thanks, everyone. 

• Like 1

Alright - i hoped to do my build tonight...no dice.  Hopefully tomorrow.  I was reading through the guide below and had some questions

step 4: I assume 10.9.5 is not required.  I plan to use "another machine" which is an x58 system with 10.10.  Since this step is just modifying the USB stick so i cannot see why that is a problem

step 7/8: These become a problem for me though.  I do not have a mavericks build for the x99 system.  Is the only way to move the x99 drive to another computer and make the edits to the drive there?  I am using a NVMe PCIe drive so i am half concerned that my x58 system will not be happy when i put the PCIe drive in...i guess i will have to figure that out when it comes up unless there are alternate suggestions.

step11: what cards require web-drivers?  I went to nvidia's site and looked at many cards from the 600 series on - whenever i searched for a yosemite driver it came back with "no result"

step 12: What are the recommended clover boot args - this is my first time with clover and looking at boomer's post above, i did not see any boot args

And here is where i show my ignorance (if not already apparent)....there was talk about waiting for rampage Dev's SSDT.  would this get added in clover configurator?  I assume using SSDT means no need for DSDT.  Clearly i have some reading to do on DSDT/SSDT 

1. Make sure you have working Mac install to prepare your USB on (can be other machine), and latest BIOS

2. Create USB install with un!beast (if you don't want to support them, you can try installer link above)

3. Patch kernel according to first post in this topic

4. While in 10.9.5 delete stock AppleACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily from USB/S/L/E and then remove all kexts from Extra on your finished USB installer

5. Copy the kext's from stinga11's package to USB/S/L/E: [stinga11 pkg for 5960x]

6. Boot with -v npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 (if Maxwell gpu, also use nv_disable=1)

7. Complete install and then reboot your previous working OS X install

8. Now redo step 3, 4 and 5 but on your Yosemite disk as target

9. Reboot to USB but select your Yosemite in bootloader

10. Install latest Clover and Clover Configurator on your disk

11. Install nvidia web drivers if necessary

12. Use clover configurator to set your clover boot args and Mac Pro 6.1 smbios. Set nvda_drv=1 if you installed nvidia web drivers. 

13. Install AppleE1000.kext and AppleGB.kext to S/L/E. This enables internet straight away.

14. Now you can remove the USB and just boot your Yosemite disk!

I did an in-place patch using the following.  Note: this is for Asus boards with 1150 - I'm not sure how it would pan out any other way because this is NOT my work.  Credit goes to Toleda and Rampage Dev.  Samtimbaud took a shot in the dark and it worked... So anyway install the attached AppleHDA.kext to S/L/E (remove or rewrite original but back up) then after it's installed correctly run the command and follow the prompts.  Toleda's script is nicely written I must add.  After the patch process completes, reboot.  That's it.  Thanks Rampage Dev and Toleda! 

Do the NVMe PCIe drives work at all? I'm guessing it's an Intel DC P3600 since it's one of the few out there? I've contemplated getting one but Intel does not list OS X as supported OS.

900 series GTX need web drivers but maybe your card will benefit too.

Boot args are same as the one in my guide.

I've not played around with SSDT yet. Will try now.

PS. Those are some awesome rigs guys   :thumbsup_anim:

snip

I'll explain the long way what you are trying to accomplish at every step.

Step 1 is to upgrade your BIOS to latest versions (or beta version)

Step 2 is to install the OS.

A. If you already have a machine that is working with OS X then don't bother doing steps 1-4. Hook up the HDD/SDD you plan on using on the Hackintosh to your working Mac using SATA cable or a USB adapter and just run the OS X Yosemite straight up-as-is. 

b. If you can't do that for some reason and you HAVE to use the Hackintosh to install the OS then your goal is to create a USB installer.

i. For this we recommend un|beast (with an i) because it's simple and works very well. Format the flash drive to MBR partition table and HFS+ then run the usb installer.

ii. Now the installer will give you a generic profile settings and drivers which are mostly right but require a bit of modification to actually load the installer. Step 4 in that guide above says remove all kext but that isn't really necessary. Basically the ones you want to keep are (located at root/extras/extensions which is a hidden folder):

-AppleGB.kext and AppleIntelE1000e.kext for Internet (DO NOT SIGN INTO YOUR APPLE ID)

-NullCPUPowerManagement.kext for power management 

-EvOreboot for turning on and off

Delete the rest and add to this the 4 .kext from this link [stinga11 pkg for 5960x]

iii. Now you have all the drivers to boot but your flags are still incorrect. To fix this open org.chameleon.Boot.plist in the Extra folder with textedit and change it to "-v npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1" You can also add the flags -x for safe mode and -f for no caches and nv_disable=1 for GTX 970/980 if you run into issues. Likewise you can even remove the VoodooTSC in extensions folder and add the flag cpus=1 if you are still having issues as a way to troubleshoot. 

iv. Lastly you need to patch the kernel to allow the system to run. For this we use the following command in terminal. "sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel”

v. Now with all this done you are ready to boot the USB drive. Make sure you install it into a USB 2.0 port and then select USB (assuming you named it that) and start the process.

Step 3 is copying over the modified kernel.

So now you’ll have OS X installed on a fresh partition but you will not be able to boot from it because of the kernel. To fix this we need to copy the kernel on the USB drive—the one we just patched—to the HDD/SSD. To do this boot from the flash drive once again and select USB. Once you get back to the installer open up terminal and run the following code “cp -R /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Kernels/”

Step 4 is changing the bootflags once again

So the bootflags we use to install aren’t necessarily the same we use to run the OS. In my case I had to remove the bootflags -f and –x to load the OS normally. That is to say I hooked up the USB drive back to my PC and switched my bootflags to “npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 nv_disable=1” Then I booted from the usb drive once again and this time selected my ssd partition to boot from.

Step 5 GFX drivers (optional, maybe?)

If you are running a GTX 970 or 980 then it’s required to dload the web drivers. Idk why but they are hard to find on the nvidia website. Here is a link to them.  http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/343.01.01f02/WebDriver-343.01.01f02.pkg

Once they are installed change your bootflag from nv_disable=1 to nvda_drv=1.

If you don’t have a GTX 970 or 980 then you might be able to get away without doing this step although recent nvidia web drivers are usually recommend over the stock apple drivers.

Step 6 is install clover

Basically we used chameleon as our install bootloader because it has working patched kernel support but we want to use clover as our day to day bootloader.

Download clover and install it with the following settings:

-Install for UEFi...

-Install Clover in the ESP

-(whatever theme you like) 

Drivers64UEFI

--OSXAptioFixDrv-64

--ParitionDXE-64 

-Install RC scripts on target volume 

-Panel

Step 7 is configuring clover

Just like when we installed cham, we need the proper kext and config file to run clover.

You should notice a new EFI partition that appeared on your PC. Inside it you will find the folder kext with 10.8, 10.9, etc. Rename one of the folders 10.10 and copy the kext from your USB drive extension folder over. Delete EVOreboot tho. You will also want to add the following .kext

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=148513  For pretty settings

http://sourceforge.net/projects/genericusbxhci/files/ for USB 3.0 support

Next you will want to add toledo's ssdt.

Find the SSDT you want put it in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched

Now time to setup the config file. To do this download “clover configurator” and click the bottom button in the middle of the left panel. There will be 3 config files but only the file in the clover folder matters. Do not bother modifying the other two.

For settings I all that matters in terms of booting is setting the right flags in boot section. They will be the same you used for cham.

Step 8 optional configs

In default boot volume put the name of your volume  and you can set the timeout to 0 to bypass the clover config bootloader entirely or leave it as-is, I use a setting of 3. For XMP go with yes. In ACPI-fixes all you need for audio to work is HPET so you can mess around with removing the rest. Disabling NewWay disables all the new way fixes. FYI it’s between NEWWAY breaks audio (on the X99-UD4) so I recommend disabling. 

Make sure nothing is in the audio inject field of the devices panel.

Lastly the RT variables, SMBIOS, System Parameters are what you can use to fix iMessage. In short you need custom settings in order to connect with Apple servers on your hackintosh. There is some other important stuff too like they will flag your account if you try signing in on a bad machine too many times. I’ll talk about fixing imessage latter.

Step 9 Audio fix

will get to later

• Like 3

sRUzCWt.png

I really REALLY like this case. It's new to the market, yeah? Cheap too. I might have to get me one!

I also patched IOBluetoothFamily to accept the bluetooth from the Asus X99 Deluxe (Broadcom BCM20702A0) If you guys don't want to patch it yourselves.... Full functionality. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/49sp92kds5pgnwh/IOBluetoothFamily.kext.zip?dl=0

I really REALLY like this case. It's new to the market, yeah? Cheap too. I might have to get me one!

I also patched IOBluetoothFamily to accept the bluetooth from the Asus X99 Deluxe (Broadcom BCM20702A0) If you guys don't want to patch it yourselves.... Full functionality.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/49sp92kds5pgnwh/IOBluetoothFamily.kext.zip?dl=0

What did you do for the patch? Just a device id? If so you should just use a fake id via ssdt or clover.

Bomeer. Thank you. I feel like I am starting to understand why instead of just hacking away like a monkey. I know enough to know the area that is screwed up but no clue how to fix it.

When trying to install from usb I get stuck here(attached). Looks to me like appleacpiplatform is the issue.  I tried booting with -x for safe and also tried -f thinking I may have had a cache issue. Then I just tried combinations of ge=yes and nv_disable=1 which I should not need for my 640.  I will say i screwed up trying to patch the kernel - got a bunch of errors.  Knowing that was bad, i copied the kernel from another USB and patched that one (went through without issue).  I did move the clean (patched) kernel using finder, is there something about needing to patch in place that i broke?...(yes grabbing at straws)

$ sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74|\x11\x83\xF8\x3F

> sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /volumes/usb/system/library/kernels/kernel

> sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74|\x11\x83\xF8\x3F

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

-bash: g /volumes/usb/system/library/kernels/kernel

sudo perl -pi -e s: No such file or directory

-bash: x11x83xF8x3F: command not found

-bash: x74x11x83xF8x3C: command not found

-bash: x74x11x83xF8x3F: command not found

-bash: x74x11x83xF8x3C: command not found

-bash: x74: command not found

Password:

Backslash found where operator expected at -e line 1, near "s|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74|\"

Backslash found where operator expected at -e line 1, near "x11\"

Backslash found where operator expected at -e line 1, near "x83\"

Backslash found where operator expected at -e line 1, near "xF8\"

syntax error at -e line 1, near "s|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74|\"

Substitution replacement not terminated at -e line 2.

I know I missed something (probably very simple). Suggestions on where to start.  if nothing is obvious i can go back to scratch assuming it was my kernel patch fiasco that did me in

post-1425981-0-38564800-1414603947_thumb.jpg

Can you help me then Cindori?  Would you mind letting me know what initial Clover settings you installed with and also mind posting your config.plist as a reference?  I am hitting this error:

OsxAptioFixDrv: AllocateRelocBlock (): can not allocate relocation block (0x16439 pages below 0x10000000): Not Found

This told the clover guys to RampageDev

Hi there.

Kernel needs to be loaded in first 4GB (under 0x100000000), but your memory is mapped in a way that there is no enough free memory under 4GB available. For example, memory is not mapped to large memory range 0x40000000-0xFED1C000, but all is mapped above 4GB (0x100000000-0x8BFFFFFFF).

It does not look promsing to me.

If you are able to compile Clover, try to release area

BS_Code    0000000010000000-000000001000AFFF 000000000000000B 000000000000000F

to get larger available space. Sometimes such small areas can be released without issues.

You can do it by using OsxLowMemFix driver, but with few tricks:

1. edit OsxLowMemFix/OsxLowMemFixDrv.c and change line 48 from

#define KERNEL_TOP_ADDRESS 0x10000000 // 256MB

to

#define KERNEL_TOP_ADDRESS 0x20000000

2. compile Clover and you'll get OsxLowMemFix.efi

3. rename it to something else, for example Test.efi - this is needed since Clover will not load both OsxLowMemFix and AptioFix

4. try to boot with Test.efi and AptioFix in drivers64UEFI

But according to Rampagedev in the latest version of clover this error was fixed.

• Like 1

I have clover running on my 5820k.

As long as the flag nvda_drv=1 is enabled the web drivers will load regardless of what the nvidia panel says. 

@ gulftown use a USB 3.0 flash drive, format it and start the guide from scratch. A lot of times its easier then just messing around trying to fix stuff. 

Can you help me then Cindori?  Would you mind letting me know what initial Clover settings you installed with and also mind posting your config.plist as a reference?  I am hitting this error:

OsxAptioFixDrv: AllocateRelocBlock (): can not allocate relocation block (0x16439 pages below 0x10000000): Not Found

Not sure about your error. You installed clover to your HD right?

My settings for clover:

8k0eaOx.png 0pgwzzk.png

This told the clover guys to RampageDev

Hi there.

Kernel needs to be loaded in first 4GB (under 0x100000000), but your memory is mapped in a way that there is no enough free memory under 4GB available. For example, memory is not mapped to large memory range 0x40000000-0xFED1C000, but all is mapped above 4GB (0x100000000-0x8BFFFFFFF).

It does not look promsing to me.

If you are able to compile Clover, try to release area
BS_Code    0000000010000000-000000001000AFFF 000000000000000B 000000000000000F
to get larger available space. Sometimes such small areas can be released without issues.

You can do it by using OsxLowMemFix driver, but with few tricks:
1. edit OsxLowMemFix/OsxLowMemFixDrv.c and change line 48 from
#define KERNEL_TOP_ADDRESS 0x10000000 // 256MB
to
#define KERNEL_TOP_ADDRESS 0x20000000
2. compile Clover and you'll get OsxLowMemFix.efi
3. rename it to something else, for example Test.efi - this is needed since Clover will not load both OsxLowMemFix and AptioFix
4. try to boot with Test.efi and AptioFix in drivers64UEFI

But according to Rampagedev in the latest version of clover this error was fixed.

But not for the Asus x99 E-WS :( 

Fixed for the Asus x99 Deluxe and other boards but not the baddest board on the market atm.