Haswell-E mach_kernel patch (5960X, 5830K and 5820K) 10.10 - 10.10.1 Yosemite

stinga11

670 posts in this topic

Didn't realize that it was case sensitive.

However, Kernel=mach_kernel or Kernel=asdasd still yields same result.

Here is my whole process, is it incorrect?

Format USB as GUID

Restore Yosemite dmg to USB

Install Clover.pkg with some custom settings like UEFI

Copy SSDT and kexts to correct place in EFI volume 

Copy SSDT and kexts to correct place in USB volume 

Place mach_kernel on root of EFI volume and USB volume. Patch with Stinga11 command.

Boot USB. In clover screen, options, boot command, Kernel=mach_kernel -v npci=0x2000

Cool Cindori as you try to decompose process cause i'm lost with clover

Cool Cindori as you try to decompose process cause i'm lost with clover

If I get this working, I will make a detailed 5960x+Asus guide...

But right now, it's best if all with this setup try to get it working. I have little hope of solving it alone.

• Like 1

I am beginning to wonder if there is a problem with the Stinga11's Yosemite patch for 5960x? Or some other thing causing issues with this CPU.

Because I have done a TON of research and found ZERO users with 5960x that have succeeded with installing Yosemite. It always fail on PCI Configuration Begin.

Me and samtimbaud have this issue with our Asus+5960x. Also, XLR from this thread had the issue with Gigabyte+5960x. Over at Tonymac, there are also 2 more users with this issue, with Asus and Gigabyte. All of us are using different GPU's as well, so that should be out of the question.

All the 5960x users are only succeeding with Mavericks, not Yosemite.

If someone manage to produce a fix that gets my 5960x up and running in Yosemite, I'll donate you $20 (paypal). Other 5960x users feel free to contribute and if you make progress, I hope you share...

• Like 1

I followed what jackie099 and lokicat said on another forum. 

Guide is based on the work of jackie099 and lokicat. 

1. Download the latest beta bios here : http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...beta-bios.html
2. Settings in BIOS: optimized defaults, other OS, and enabled legacy support for some other stuff like XHCI or something. 
3. Dload Uhibeast Installer
4. Format USB with label "USB" MBR partition table and HFS+
5. Let wizard install the files preferably on a USB 3.0 flash drive of speed but make sure to use a USB 2.0 port on the motherboard. 
6. Change boot flags to "-v -x -f npci=0x2000" in config plist in the USB/Extras folder (folder is hidden)
7. [Add VoodooTSCSync.kext to Extra/Extensions folder on the USB drive.
Edit the .kext for your cpu cores like in the OP first post if its not already edited] or use cpus=1 bootflag but the installer will be hella slow
8. Use the first kernel patch "sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel" 
9. I also added the boot flag nv_disable=1 for my GTX 980, you may or may not need it. 
This worked for me to get the installer running and install OS X onto the SSD. 

With that said I don't even know if its worth going through all that trouble because I'm pretty sure you can install OS X using a different machine onto the drive (like using a usb 3.0 adapter) 

10. But assuming you get this far and the install finishes you will need to boot into USB installer once again and then launch terminal to copy the patched kernel off the USB drive and onto the SSD. "cp -R /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Kernels/"
11. Finally reboot once more and use chameleon to boot into the SSD.
12. Install Nvidia Web Drivers.
13. Change bootflags to "npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1"
14. Reboot

15. Load the latest version of clover (right now its 2976) and install with it with the following boxes checked:
-Install for UEFi...
-Install Clover in the ESP
-(whatever theme you like) 
Drivers64UEFI
--OSXAptioFixDrv-64
--ParitionDXE-64 
-Install RC scripts on target volume 
-Panel

16. Copy the .kext from chameleon over to clover. I use AHCIPortInjector.kext from the OP, AppleGB.kext, AppleIntelE1000e, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagmenet, GenericUSBXHCI.kext, and VoodooTSCSync. 

17. Use clover configurator to set the bootflags of "npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1" and the profile to Mac Pro 6,1. 
18. [Optional] You can use clover to get iMessage working by messing around with SmMUUID, Serial Number and Board Serial Number in SMBIOS and Custom UUID, inject System ID in System parameters.

I am beginning to wonder if there is a problem with the Stinga11's Yosemite patch for 5960x? Or some other thing causing issues with this CPU.

Because I have done a TON of research and found ZERO users with 5960x that have succeeded with installing Yosemite. It always fail on PCI Configuration Begin.

Me and samtimbaud have this issue with our Asus+5960x. Also, XLR from this thread had the issue with Gigabyte+5960x. Over at Tonymac, there are also 2 more users with this issue, with Asus and Gigabyte. All of us are using different GPU's as well, so that should be out of the question.

If someone manage to produce a fix that gets my 5960x up and running in Yosemite, I'll donate you $20 (paypal). Other 5960x users feel free to contribute and if you make progress, I hope you share...

I guess it's settled then, it's the cpu... Is anyone using Yosemite with a 5930k or is it only the 5820k that works? Cause I'm wondering if it has something to do with the PCI lanes. There's nothing wrong with stinga11's patch, there's something else about the CPU causing it not to work. Sort of like what happened to the Pentium k in mavericks. I have a few ideas:

-if anyone has an x99-deluxe try the dsdt I posted in the other thread specifically for the Asus board problem.

-try putting your graphics card in a different slot

-try different pcirootuids?

-if anyone with a 5960x has pcie slot disable switches, try switching some of them off completely

-post any extra info at all you can get about your CPU from windows

Hopefully when the 10.10 kernel source is released we will be able to find out on what exactly the problem is.

• Like 1

I guess it's settled then, it's the cpu... Is anyone using Yosemite with a 5930k or is it only the 5820k that works? Cause I'm wondering if it has something to do with the PCI lanes. There's nothing wrong with stinga11's patch, there's something else about the CPU causing it not to work. Sort of like what happened to the Pentium k in mavericks. I have a few ideas:

-if anyone has an x99-deluxe try the dsdt I posted in the other thread specifically for the Asus board problem.

-try putting your graphics card in a different slot

-try different pcirootuids?

-if anyone with a 5960x has pcie slot disable switches, try switching some of them off completely

-post any extra info at all you can get about your CPU from windows

Hopefully when the 10.10 kernel source is released we will be able to find out on what exactly the problem is.

I really think the problem is yosemite because there are a few people who have the  5960x working it in mavericks. I could do more if I had a 5960x ( :angel_not: Maybe someone wants to give me one to me hahaha :drool: ) Maybe all owners of a 5960x should stay on mavericks until we have solved this problem.

• Like 1

I really think the problem is yosemite because there are a few people who have the 5960x working it in mavericks. I could do more if I had a 5960x ( :angel_not:Maybe someone wants to give me one to me hahaha :drool: ) Maybe all owners of a 5960x should stay on mavericks until you have solved this problem.

Yeah, obviously it's Yosemite specific but I guess what I meant was there's something about the CPU specifically that Yosemite doesn't like. Very similar to what happened to the Pentium k, which probably could have been resolved if more people were trying to hack that CPU. Hopefully that doesn't happen with the 5960x where it gets stuck on mavericks forever.

Maybe Yosemite doesn't like that it has 8 cores... Has anyone tried disabling 2 cores to see if that works? Or substituting it with IB-E in the kernel instead of Haswell?

Also, someone should try a fake cpuid in clover in combination with the kernel patch and see if that works.

Yeah I have the 5960X and running perfect (well perfect as it gets w/o pm) on 10.9.5.  F***ing Apple man.  S&^t's got me down...  I'm sure our lovely devs will come up with something soon, but at the least we'll see a Xeon E5 v3 Mac Pro Trashcan update in the next few months and it'll help weed all this wonky stuff out.  Bummer broskis.... bummer. 

I'd match that and raise it $20.

I really think the problem is yosemite because there are a few people who have the  5960x working it in mavericks. I could do more if I had a 5960x ( :angel_not: Maybe someone wants to give me one to me hahaha :drool: ) Maybe all owners of a 5960x should stay on mavericks until we have solved this problem.

And guess what would happen if I had one ;)

Feel free to e-mail me a couple ACPI dumps and I'll look into it.

ACPI is in DSDT right? My 5960x DSDT is attached one post up. If you need anything else just let me know, appreciate you taking a look at it.

You have four PCI devices. Comment out the last three, including the references to it, and see what happens.

Note: Having 40 PCI lanes is the problem ;)

• Like 2

You have four PCI devices. Comment out the last three, including the references to it, and see what happens.

Shouldn't that mean 5930K would have the same issue? i asked if anyone was running one but got no response... Probably because 5820K is the better value.

Can this be disabled by SSDT? I'm trying to edit Cindori's DSDT and there's references everywhere, it's pretty confusing, I have a feeling I'm going to accidentally comment out PCI0 somewhere.

• Like 1

:w00t:

So wait, I just want to make sure, the correct lines to comment out are

22823-22976 (PCI1)

30757-30909 (PCI2)

38689-38842 (PCI3)

Shouldn't that mean 5930K would have the same issue? i asked if anyone was running one but got no response... Probably because 5820K is the better value.

Can this be disabled by SSDT? I'm trying to edit Cindori's DSDT and there's references everywhere, it's pretty confusing, I have a feeling I'm going to accidentally comment out PCI0 somewhere.

FWIW, I've seen users with success running 5930k on Yosemite on "another forum". His username was CrusaderArts.

Edit: Actually not sure if he succeeded with Yosemite. I have asked him.

If someone has a 5960x and also has another computer, I have an idea.

1. For this test, I need the person use Chameleon as bootloader.

2. The person needs to have another computer running yosemite. must be hackintosh can not be real mac.

boot your hard drive in a computer that if work with Yosemite. Once up and change the all kexts with the kexts that are in the zip file. Once you've done that run my caches_rebuild.command when it finish turn off the machine and changes the hard drive to the computer with 5960x.

If someone has a 5960x and also has another computer, I have an idea.

1. For this test, I need the person use Chameleon as bootloader.

2. The person needs to have another computer running yosemite. must be hackintosh can not be real mac.

boot your hard drive in a computer that if work with Yosemite. Once up and change the all kexts with the kexts that are in the zip file. Once you've done that run my caches_rebuild.command when it finish turn off the machine and changes the hard drive to the computer with 5960x.

The first download gives an error when I try to download it.