Haswell-E mach_kernel patch (5960X, 5830K and 5820K) 10.10 - 10.10.1 Yosemite

stinga11

670 posts in this topic

I'm not sure you understand my problem.  I have a perfectly running X99 5930k Yosemite install.  I do dev work.  I need to run windows using either parallels or vmware fusion.  Both run the VM so slow that I cannot get windows to finish installing.  On my X79 system everything works great. I am just looking for confirmation that its the patched kernel that is causing the slow VM performance. Does anyone here have a X99 with either parallels or fusion running properly?

My bad. I was up all night working on my install.

Have you tried installing Vmware ESXi? : http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi-and-esx/overview 

My bad. I was up all night working on my install.

Have you tried installing Vmware ESXi? : http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi-and-esx/overview 

I use ESXi 5.5 for our infrastructure.  I like OSX as my main workstation OS.  I prefer it over windows or any of the *nix's.  I do however have some applications and Dev work that cannot be avoided in Windows.  I love the unity/coherence features of fusion/parallels.  They work great with my triple monitor workstation and I can work seamlessly between all the OSes I need.  My X79 workstation was flawless and I'm almost regretting upgrading but such is life and I know the X99 will get there in time; its the price one pays for cutting edge!

I know this isn't ideal for you, but have you tried VirtualBox or Parallels? 

I would ask if you have the settings in VMware correct, but I'm assuming since you use ESXi you know what you're doing. I'm surprised a kernel patch would make it laggy, that doesn't make too much sense to me. I wonder if it's actually a BIOS/UEFI issue or something.

we are working on the clover problems

What's the problem with Clover exactly?

Why some people manage to install with Clover and others get stuck on "waiting for root device", on the same hatdware? it doesn't makes any sense.

Yep and its been fun so far... 

Your installation method is irrelevant for many people, as long as you don't post any info about the edits you did to those SSDT's.

Also, i tried your method with 10.9.5 and pretty much disappointed, because i've got much better results by editing my DSDT myself.

I know this isn't ideal for you, but have you tried VirtualBox or Parallels? 

I would ask if you have the settings in VMware correct, but I'm assuming since you use ESXi you know what you're doing. I'm surprised a kernel patch would make it laggy, that doesn't make too much sense to me. I wonder if it's actually a BIOS/UEFI issue or something.

Parallels is the same behavior. Virtualbox is a little better and is usable but not my preferred hypervisor.

What's the problem with Clover exactly?

Why some people manage to install with Clover and others get stuck on "waiting for root device", on the same hatdware? it doesn't makes any sense.

Your installation method is irrelevant for many people, as long as you don't post any info about the edits you did to those SSDT's.

Also, i tried your method with 10.9.5 and pretty much disappointed, because i've got much better results by editing my DSDT myself.

SSDT does the same thing patch DSDT will do without being tied to the BIOS version. Editing your own DSDT has no benefit. 

Also I am working on getting Clover to work with x99 and since I don't plan to support Cham under 10.10 that would be contradictory now wouldn't? 

To answer your question about the issues with Clover its a Mem Map issue. 

Out of curiosity, how did you fix the memory allocation error and PCI config hang?

Honestly never had a issue with npci=0x2000 never working. 

I gave the Mem Map to dmazar from the x99 E-WS and he sent me a fix but never worked but have no idea if it helped or not. Thank you to Stinga for compiling it. 

That said the x99 E-WS is still not working. The more hardware that a board has it seems it does not work with Clover.

I need to test a few things with Clover before I update the DMG but on the x99 Deluxe I have all it well. Found I had a type with the address of the wifi card in the SSDT causing it not to load. Will update that soon. 

• Like 3

Update: Latest Clover now works on the Asus x99 Deluxe. Off to test more boards. 

When I try making a bootable USB disc using clove I get stuck at the "root device UUID is.." screen. I assume I either installed clover with the wrong settings and/or my mach_kernel isn't working. The setup works perfectly fine using chameleon. 

Side-note; everything on my install is working right now--even iMessage--with the exception of under "About this Mac" I have unknown for processor type and no audio. I'm trying to use the cloveralc patch but it can't detect my codec. Any help would be appreciated. 

System:

GA-X99-UD4 with F9e BIOS

GTX 980

Clover  

Same issue here.

Latest clover gets stuck at 

root device uuid is: xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

Asus X99-S

5960x

That's what happens when it can't boot the kernel. How did you patch the kernel and is it in the correct place?

Might have missed it.

I'm redoing from scratch now.

Where is the kernel located? I have Yosemite Base System USB with Clover, but there is no /System/Library/Kernels folder.

It's not in the base system; it's in the packages folder next to the basesystem.dmg. Extract it from the Essentials.pkg with pacifist. 

I patched mine using the script, renamed it "mach_kernel" then put it into the root directory of both the os x install partition and the efi partition (because I didn't know which) and added the bootflag "mach_kernel"

It's not in the base system; it's in the packages folder next to the basesystem.dmg. Extract it from the Essentials.pkg with pacifist. 

I patched mine using the script, renamed it "mach_kernel" then put it into the root directory of both the os x install partition and the efi partition (because I didn't know which) and added the bootflag "mach_kernel"

try Kernel=mach_kernel instead. That's the flag I use on my girlfriend's AMD build with Clover. I think using only "mach_kernel" might just be a chameleon thing.

Failed to extract kernel using Pacifist.

Downloaded kernel from here: http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/download/4169-mach-kernel-for-lapic-native-1010x/

I realize now that it's a modded kernel?

Anyway, I put it at root of USB and root of EFI volume.

Either with kernel=mach_kernel or mach_kernel entered at Clover boot-args during boot, I am still stuck in same place.

If it was found, but not compatible, it should have least given me an error right?

Failed to extract kernel using Pacifist.

Downloaded kernel from here: http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/download/4169-mach-kernel-for-lapic-native-1010x/

I realize now that it's a modded kernel?

Anyway, I put it at root of USB and root of EFI volume.

Either with kernel=mach_kernel or mach_kernel entered at Clover boot-args during boot, I am still stuck in same place.

If it was found, but not compatible, it should have least given me an error right?

No, it would give you the same "root device uuid is" thing regardless. If it couldn't find the kernel at all, it would tell you it can't find the kernel, but that would only happen if you actually went in and removed the stock kernel from the installer. Since the stock kernel is already in the stock installer, it could be finding that and getting stuck, so the message would be the same. Not sure why you were having trouble extracting the kernel if bomerr got it to work. Are you using the latest version of Pacifist? 

I think the kernel you found being modified might be why it's not working, but I'm not sure. 

Make sure Kernel is capitalized, some boot flags are case sensitive. 

Didn't realize that it was case sensitive.

However, Kernel=mach_kernel or Kernel=asdasd still yields same result.

Here is my whole process, is it incorrect?

Format USB as GUID

Restore Yosemite dmg to USB

Install Clover.pkg with some custom settings like UEFI

Copy SSDT and kexts to correct place in EFI volume 

Copy SSDT and kexts to correct place in USB volume 

Place mach_kernel on root of EFI volume and USB volume. Patch with Stinga11 command.

Boot USB. In clover screen, options, boot command, Kernel=mach_kernel -v npci=0x2000