Haswell-E mach_kernel patch (5960X, 5830K and 5820K) 10.10 - 10.10.1 Yosemite

stinga11

670 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if a E5-2680V3 will run with the same patch?

Yes, It should work with the patch but you may need change the pci and acpi drivers if you want run it with OS X yosemite.

Thanks Stinga1  Why and how would I change these drivers?

The easiest way is follow this guide if you don't have access to another computer, in this thread you can find other methods of how to change these drivers.

GUIDE

The easiest way is follow this guide if you don't have access to another computer, in this thread you can find other methods of how to change these drivers.

GUIDE

So if I understand well I need to use your kext and test if they work?

I don't have the CPU yet but I want to buy it but I need to be sure it will run. It is not for me but for a customer of mine.

I follow this tread because I have X99 with 5930K and running it steady and stable.

Only issue is Audio still but I'll figure out that.

I don't have the CPU yet but I want to buy it but I need to be sure it will run. It is not for me but for a customer of mine.

I follow this tread because I have X99 with 5930K and running it steady and stable.

Obviously I can't guarantee anything. In this kind of thing is impossible to be sure.

I don't think anyone has done a build with that CPU yet. stinga's solution will PROBABLY do the trick, but notbody can be sure until it has been attempted, and the kext will likely have to be replaced for every update. I'm not so sure it's wise to choose that configuration for your client unless you are willing to exchange the CPU and mobo if it doesn't work and replace the kexts every update (as well as the kernel obviously). It's also possible, however, that the 2680V3 doesn't need any kexts replaced, but this is required on the 5960x so it's pretty likely you will need to do the same on any CPU with 8 cores or more.

• Like 1

Obviously I can't guarantee anything. In this kind of thing is impossible to be sure.

No of course nobody can tell I know. I would like to try maybe.

I don't think anyone has done a build with that CPU yet. stinga's solution will PROBABLY do the trick, but notbody can be sure until it has been attempted, and the kext will likely have to be replaced for every update. I'm not so sure it's wise to choose that configuration for your client unless you are willing to exchange the CPU and mobo if it doesn't work and replace the kexts every update (as well as the kernel obviously). It's also possible, however, that the 2680V3 doesn't need any kexts replaced, but this is required on the 5960x so it's pretty likely you will need to do the same on any CPU with 8 cores or more.

Yes I know there is no info yet anywhere. I tell my customers not to update OS with all my builds. I come by every once and while and do some maintenance for them.

So that's no problem. The question is will it or not. I also like to be pioneer and try things out but this one is a bit expensive tough.

Thanks for sharing anyway!

No of course nobody can tell I know. I would like to try maybe.

Yes I know there is no info yet anywhere. I tell my customers not to update OS with all my builds. I come by every once and while and do some maintenance for them.

So that's no problem. The question is will it or not. I also like to be pioneer and try things out but this one is a bit expensive tough.

Thanks for sharing anyway!

Any reason your customer needs X99 rather than X79? That's an option as well, even though it's slightly "outdated."

Amazon DOES sell those CPUs, and they basically have a no questions asked return policy as long as you don't abuse it. I think Newegg has a similar policy.

Any reason your customer needs X99 rather than X79? That's an option as well, even though it's slightly "outdated."

Amazon DOES sell those CPUs, and they basically have a no questions asked return policy as long as you don't abuse it. I think Newegg has a similar policy.

I know about the x79 as I have already build a few of them. But yeah a bit outdated..... And I have the X99 running well for now except for the time after I update Nvidia Webdrivers this night. It just won't boot instead it reboots. Doing a new install now. I'll talk to my customer and see if we can get it somewhere.

I know about the x79 as I have already build a few of them. But yeah a bit outdated..... And I have the X99 running well for now except for the time after I update Nvidia Webdrivers this night. It just won't boot instead it reboots. Doing a new install now. I'll talk to my customer and see if we can get it somewhere.

x79 is not out dated. If you look at real world performance you will find that x79 is faster such as PCIe performance for example 

Sounds like nvidia injection or graphics enabler is on. I'm assuming you didn't set it up that way, but that's what it sounds like to me...

x79 is not out dated. If you look at real world performance you will find that x79 is faster such as PCIe performance for example 

Shouldn't PCI-E performance be like exactly the same? What makes X79 faster?

IMO the type of person that requires a 12-core Xeon is probably a good candidate for something tried-and-true like the X79.

Something else to consider... Isn't turbo boost not working with X99? Usually that's the case when there's no power management. That could be a deal-breaker for a low clock speed 12-core.

Sounds like nvidia injection or graphics enabler is on. I'm assuming you didn't set it up that way, but that's what it sounds like to me...

Shouldn't PCI-E performance be like exactly the same? What makes X79 faster?

IMO the type of person that requires a 12-core Xeon is probably a good candidate for something tried-and-true like the X79.

Something else to consider... Isn't turbo boost not working with X99? Usually that's the case when there's no power management. That could be a deal-breaker for a low clock speed 12-core.

We don't know. Its a issue with the chipset or CPU. We don't know.

so is it enough to affect real world performance for something that doesn't take a ton of bw like gaming?

About 5 to 10 % loss with Multi GPU performance. Single GPU is about 3% faster however. 

Intel is working on a way to address it but DDR4 has been able to make people not notice this until you sit down and do proper case studies. 

About 5 to 10 % loss with Multi GPU performance. Single GPU is about 3% faster however.

Intel is working on a way to address it but DDR4 has been able to make people not notice this until you sit down and do proper case studies.

can you post a link? I'm probably just googling wrong but I can't find anything. Unless this is just your own personal research.

This told the clover guys to RampageDev

Hi there.

Kernel needs to be loaded in first 4GB (under 0x100000000), but your memory is mapped in a way that there is no enough free memory under 4GB available. For example, memory is not mapped to large memory range 0x40000000-0xFED1C000, but all is mapped above 4GB (0x100000000-0x8BFFFFFFF).

It does not look promsing to me.

If you are able to compile Clover, try to release area
BS_Code    0000000010000000-000000001000AFFF 000000000000000B 000000000000000F
to get larger available space. Sometimes such small areas can be released without issues.

You can do it by using OsxLowMemFix driver, but with few tricks:
1. edit OsxLowMemFix/OsxLowMemFixDrv.c and change line 48 from
#define KERNEL_TOP_ADDRESS 0x10000000 // 256MB
to
#define KERNEL_TOP_ADDRESS 0x20000000
2. compile Clover and you'll get OsxLowMemFix.efi
3. rename it to something else, for example Test.efi - this is needed since Clover will not load both OsxLowMemFix and AptioFix
4. try to boot with Test.efi and AptioFix in drivers64UEFI

But according to Rampagedev in the latest version of clover this error was fixed.

Morning all,

With some time off for the holidays, I've decided to have another go at this. From what I can tell, this fix is still necessary. I've created a fresh install of Yosemite from RampageDev's guide, using my Macbook and a spare Hack, along with the latest edition of Clover, yet I still get this error on my system. I'm able to boot my main drive via Chameleon, but it's on an MBR partition (as this was previously required for my board, no clue if it still is, if that shows you have out of the loop I am.)

Is this what I should still be trying to implement to fix this error when I try to boot, or is there a better way? 

Current hardware is:

GA-X99-UD4 with latest F11 BIOS

i7-5820K

2 x GTX 660

16GB of Crucial DDR4 2133 MHz RAM

As always, appreciate the help, and thanks in advance.

-N

Morning all,

With some time off for the holidays, I've decided to have another go at this. From what I can tell, this fix is still necessary. I've created a fresh install of Yosemite from RampageDev's guide, using my Macbook and a spare Hack, along with the latest edition of Clover, yet I still get this error on my system. I'm able to boot my main drive via Chameleon, but it's on an MBR partition (as this was previously required for my board, no clue if it still is, if that shows you have out of the loop I am.)

Is this what I should still be trying to implement to fix this error when I try to boot, or is there a better way? 

Current hardware is:

GA-X99-UD4 with latest F11 BIOS

i7-5820K

2 x GTX 660

16GB of Crucial DDR4 2133 MHz RAM

As always, appreciate the help, and thanks in advance.

-N

The only board that I have tested that still needs a solution is the Asus x99 E-WS. I have tested your board and it worked fine for me and many other users. 

The only board that I have tested that still needs a solution is the Asus x99 E-WS. I have tested your board and it worked fine for me and many other users. 

I agree with this statement. Up and running here since Bios F9e

• Like 1

Interesting. I'm still receiving the error, even with F11 BIOS and the latest version of Clover. Can't get it to do much at all. I'll try using the fix and see if that helps at all. 

Also interestingly, once I boot into Clover, I basically lose all control over the BIOS. Keyboard spams like Delete and F12 become unresponsive, and it just boots my Windows drive (#1 in boot priority). Have to reset the BIOS in order to do much of anything. Any ideas? 

Thanks.