Haswell-E mach_kernel patch (5960X, 5830K and 5820K) 10.10 - 10.10.1 Yosemite

stinga11

670 posts in this topic

Someone has a mirror for Apple's open source, and as a result, IOPCIFamily on github. Here's a diff between the mavericks and yosemite versions... Obviously you can do this with any difftool but I like github's layout, makes the differences very obvious https://github.com/aosm/IOPCIFamily/commit/ed759342f996ba2cd7b376f8f0c41c68d19a5802

Ok guys after going slightly insane over the last 5 days over the issue with my install (see above posts), I FINALLY SOLVED IT.

This journey included 20+hours of troubleshooting, buying a new SSD and external HD dock, installing Yosemite and Mavericks around 10 times...

When I finally succeeded with installing on the brand new SSD, it behaved like my old install, rebooting/KP on login.

Had a Windows drive that booted just fine, although it was having random BSOD's after 4+ hours of use...

Started to give up on my whole system...

And then I saw it:

2o9ooLa.png

:drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

Removed it, and my installs started working 100%.... 

Not sure whether to laugh or cry  -_-

This told the clover guys to RampageDev

Hi there.

Kernel needs to be loaded in first 4GB (under 0x100000000), but your memory is mapped in a way that there is no enough free memory under 4GB available. For example, memory is not mapped to large memory range 0x40000000-0xFED1C000, but all is mapped above 4GB (0x100000000-0x8BFFFFFFF).

It does not look promsing to me.

If you are able to compile Clover, try to release area
BS_Code    0000000010000000-000000001000AFFF 000000000000000B 000000000000000F
to get larger available space. Sometimes such small areas can be released without issues.

You can do it by using OsxLowMemFix driver, but with few tricks:
1. edit OsxLowMemFix/OsxLowMemFixDrv.c and change line 48 from
#define KERNEL_TOP_ADDRESS 0x10000000 // 256MB
to
#define KERNEL_TOP_ADDRESS 0x20000000
2. compile Clover and you'll get OsxLowMemFix.efi
3. rename it to something else, for example Test.efi - this is needed since Clover will not load both OsxLowMemFix and AptioFix
4. try to boot with Test.efi and AptioFix in drivers64UEFI

But according to Rampagedev in the latest version of clover this error was fixed.

I'm having some issues where when I install a 2nd PCIe 4x card, I get OsxAptioDrvFix memory errors. Tried OsxAptioDrvFix, OsxAptioDrvFix2, and OsxAptioDrvFixLowMemory.

Are you still using the fix you outlined in the post? Would you mind sending me your modified OsxLowMemFix?

Thank you!
Nick

I'm having some issues where when I install a 2nd PCIe 4x card, I get OsxAptioDrvFix memory errors. Tried OsxAptioDrvFix, OsxAptioDrvFix2, and OsxAptioDrvFixLowMemory.

Are you still using the fix you outlined in the post? Would you mind sending me your modified OsxLowMemFix?

Thank you!
Nick

Try this. Replace VBox.efi with hfs.efi This driver found at UEFI 64 drivers folder

https://github.com/JrCs/CloverGrowerPro/tree/master/Files/HFSPlus/X64

• 4 weeks later...

i tried to get a Mavericks install to boot. I use a AsRock-WS board. No matter if using cpus=1 boot flag, nullcpu, and or VoodoTSC, i always get a "Unable to sync cpu" like message and then a reboot. Now i think this might have been due to not disabling turbo, i also tried just using one core (via uefi-settings as well as via clover) and various other patches (mostly via clover) but seems as if the cpus=1 does no longer work  ?

I just finished an x99 build. It's an evga x99 classified with a 5960x and gtx 980. I'm happy to report it was a very easy setup and works almost flawlessly. Clover boots in uefi mode with no issues, Ethernet works with mieze's kext (I've only tried one of the ports, haven't installed the kext for the other yet), only a couple of small bugs so far...

-Ethernet is reported as en2, I used my existing install so this is expected. Simple fix, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

-my pcie FireWire card isn't detected on os x. Odd because it's a natively supported chipset and it was working in my z68 build. Works in windows. Anyone have FireWire working on an x99 build?

-for some reason dockmod stopped working. The dock just crashes repeatedly. Haven't tried to fix this yet.

The reason I chose to take a risk and be the guinea pig for this board is that I had a bad experience with my gigabyte z68 board, and I'm not comfortable buying an Asus product due to their terrible customer service. Also, it's one of the only boards with which USB 2.0 ports for me. I have almost 20 USB devices - multiple mice, midi devices, audio interface, etc. And considering genericusbxhci is required for optimal performance on x99 I didn't want to plug them into the 3.0 ports and just leave those for hard drives only.

I would definitely recommend an evga board to anyone considering an x99 build.

• Like 1

Jamiethemorris, You already fully office Hackintosh with Clover on EVGA and 5960?

I'm assuming "office" was a typo, not sure what you meant to say... It's pretty much fully working if that's what you're asking.

One really concerning issue... My CPU won't go above 3 GHz in OS X. I even tried setting the multiplier to 3.5 GHZ manually (the default turbo speed). I'm going to be very upset if I'm stuck at the base frequency in OS X...

EDIT: Well, turned out it was an SSDT I had made that was the problem... However my Geekbench scores are still terrible in OS X. It goes up to 3.5 GHz now, but I get 2,200 single core and 22,000 multi-core. I doesn't stay up near 3.5 like I would expect when under load, it bounces around a lot between 3.0 and 3.5 - usually hovering around 3.10 or 3.2.  -____-

EDIT 2: Got it to ~3,300 single and ~25,000 multi in Yosemite... I messed with the BIOS settings a little bit, made sure EIST and Turbo were enabled, and set all the multipliers manually to 3.5. I also made sure to drop the stock SSDT and made sure C-state and P-state generation was disabled in Clover. That seemed to do the trick. I think this score is about normal for 64-bit mode, right? 

The works Speedstep?

The processor  should overclock bus. Overclock profile Manual, strap 125, the multiplier 30. 3750mGz no problem.  If you be working turboboost perhaps 4000mGz. Replaqced by the work of SpeedSte and Turboboost. Because of problems with Clover ans Asus x99, I think to change the motherboard to EVGA x99 micro.

Sorry  for Bad English language.

The works Speedstep?

The processor should overclock bus. Overclock profile Manual, strap 125, the multiplier 30. 3750mGz no problem. If you be working turboboost perhaps 4000mGz. Replaqced by the work of SpeedSte and Turboboost. Because of problems with Clover ans Asus x99, I think to change the motherboard to EVGA x99 micro.

Sorry for Bad English language.

no, i don't have true speedstep, but i do have other a few extra stepping frequencies. Overclocking the bus would probably work as well, the only problem is then you lose some of the really low frequencies which usually help keep temperatures down when the CPU isn't working hard. I haven't decided yet which way I'm going to do it. I'll just see how it goes, I'm going to start overclocking this weekend.

One very important thing I should mention about this board... It uses a soundblaster for audio, which to my knowledge means no applehda patch and I'm pretty sure voodoohda won't even work. This is a non-issue for me since I always use a Scarlett 2i2 as my main audio interface. But if someone needs built in audio they should consider either a different board or be prepared to buy a separate audio interface.

Just wanted to check in again about my overclocking progress... Here is what I discovered:

-OS X flat out refuses to go above the base multiplier, which in my case is x30. If I don't use NCPM, it APPEARS as if it's going above x30, but it's actually not based on my identical benchmark results.

-Intel Power Gadget reports incorrect readings. When it reports your clock speed in GHz, it assumes you are using a 100 MHz bus speed, so if I have my BCLK set to 125, it will show "3.00 GHz" when it's at 3.75 GHz. This happens in the Windows version as well.

-The only way I am able to get OS X to successfully use my overclock is by overclocking the BCLK. Currently, I've got a 167 MHz BCLK and x29 multiplier so I'm at 4.34 GHz.

Thanks @schumlav for suggesting overclocking the bus.

I would need some guidance regarding a 5960x hackie build that I need to make for audio production (and a little bit of video editing) only. (I am already using Professional audio Sound cards with proper drivers in my similar builds' Yosemite & ML, so built in audio is not needed). I would need at least a Mavericks 10.9.5 as a minimum requirement for my Audio Software (Logic Pro X) but a Yosemite would be great, too!
What motherboard would you recommend for this CPU (I want to OC it to around 4Ghz) that would also be as hassle free as possible with a Hackintosh installation?
I was thinking Gigabyte X99 UD4 /UD5 / Soc Force / Soc Champion or Asus X99 Deluxe / X99-A / X99-S or X99 E-WS.

What do you suggest for Ram - 2666 or 2400 in order to have a better step with 5960x ?

I have chosen this CPU since i found a sh one available at half of its price in my town and I intend to buy it. 5820k would be another option, too.

Hey does anyone know what I have to do to get about this Mac not to say unknown for my CPU? I can't figure out a cpuid to use and I also can't figure out how to edit about this Mac manually - Yosemite seems to be different than previous versions of OS X.

Hey does anyone know what I have to do to get about this Mac not to say unknown for my CPU? I can't figure out a cpuid to use and I also can't figure out how to edit about this Mac manually - Yosemite seems to be different than previous versions of OS X.

Something like this:

<key>CPU</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Type</key>
		<string>1281</string>
		<key>FrequencyMHz</key>
		<string>3700</string>
	</dict>

post-922667-0-06849700-1427753254_thumb.png

Something like this:

<key>CPU</key>	<dict>		<key>Type</key>		<string>1281</string>		<key>FrequencyMHz</key>		<string>3700</string>	</dict>
attachicon.gifabout.png
thank you, I'll that a try. Hopefully mine won't say 6 core. I think i might have asked this a long time ago, but is there any documentation on where these CPU codes come from?

Something like this:

<key>CPU</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Type</key>
		<string>1281</string>
		<key>FrequencyMHz</key>
		<string>3700</string>
	</dict>
attachicon.gifabout.png
thank you. I think o might have asked this a long time ago, but I'd there any documentation on where these CPU codes come from?

I haven't been able to find a list of these id's, certainly they exist somewhere...  Luck with it.

Try 1286

So unfortunately, neither of these seem to be working for me. Are you using this with success in Clover? I also tried the hex values of those numbers but that didn't work either. I wish there was a little more documentation in the wiki about this. I actually have a feeling these numbers come from the ioreg of real Macs.

Hey bro. in these day I've been a little busy, I think I broke my knee because hurts a lot. But always I follow this thread. Congratulations for your X99 new rig.

In my clover I use the following CPU type. Use it and I'm sure thats works for you.

<key>CPU</key>
<dict>
<key>Type</key>
<string>0x0A01</string>
</dict>

Hey bro. in these day I've been a little busy, I think I broke my knee because hurts a lot. But always I follow this thread. Congratulations for your X99 new rig.

In my clover I use the following CPU type. Use it and I'm sure thats works for you.

<key>CPU</key>

<dict>

<key>Type</key>

<string>0x0A01</string>

</dict>

Thanks stinga, I will give that a try... Umm... You THINK you broke your knee? Go to the doctor dude!

Do you happen to know where these numbers come from and what they mean?

So unfortunately, neither of these seem to be working for me. Are you using this with success in Clover? I also tried the hex values of those numbers but that didn't work either. I wish there was a little more documentation in the wiki about this. I actually have a feeling these numbers come from the ioreg of real Macs.

Yes.  It's working as posted.