2,188 posts in this topic

@Slice 1751997795_2020-01-2812_48_49.png.4064db6181abbfa5f79323693dc93ca3.pngThe monitor is strange only when AppleIntelInfo.kext is loaded, if you unload it, the monitor correctly displays Package 0 avg. I thought that if I look at msr, with the anvmsr utility, but the bug does not repeat. Probably not looking. As if not very necessary, just noticed, informed. And you probably have a panic because of the settings for AppleIntelInfo.kext, enableHWP? Or do you have no panic?

Edited by tyufhl

@tyufhl Здесь по-русски запрещено, есть отдельная ветка где можно.

AppleIntelInfo panics because it uses MSR registers not allowed on some CPUs. Panics observed by numerous users. Just wonder why such non-safe kext appears in DarwinDumper.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rodion2010 said:

No graphs for voltages, is it a bug or by design?

Unless you did not push on this on the selected sensor:

235078029_Schermata2020-02-03alle17_57_50.png.3cca3fc0a803e5c44463d1e35defe25d.png

it's a bug.

4 hours ago, Rodion2010 said:

No graphs for voltages, is it a bug or by design?

Forgot me. If voltages are taken from smc keys then will not show up, not even the button to activate them. Next will, sorry.. I forgot..

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AkimoA said:

B360M-DS3H.zip

You made nothing, your file is useless.

You shall write correct a name and multi.

Don't do skip fan if the fan connector really is on mobo, because this configuration file not only for you.

Edited by Andrey1970
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

right ok will double check the readme,  but there is only 3 Fan Headers 1 CPU+ 2 SYS Fans on the Board since im using all 3 i skipped the once not existing .

im well aware its not only for me ,the only reason why i shared it in the first place  ..just miss understood the readme ;) 

Where can I find the latest version of W836x.kext ? Is it on GitHub? I can't find it either on GitHub or on SourceForge.

@vector sigma @Slice

I have a version from May 2019 and I have the issue that every second boot or so, my CPU fan is off so I have to reboot and then it works. And I'm pretty sure that it didn't happen before I installed the Kext.

Then, I always wanted to look for an updated version but kept forgetting about it and just rebooting when the issue came up or just leaving it running with no fan since when doing light workloads, the temps never exceed 70 degrees C, even with no fan.

Edited by unixb0y

1 hour ago, AkimoA said:

right ok will double check the readme,  but there is only 3 Fan Headers 1 CPU+ 2 SYS Fans on the Board since im using all 3 i skipped the once not existing .

im well aware its not only for me ,the only reason why i shared it in the first place  ..just miss understood the readme ;) 

If only 3 connectors for fans on mobo, then OK.

Now you need to specify correctly name and multi for voltages.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

New HWMonitorSMC2.app v2.6.1

• Behavior follow Intel Power Gadget.app showing sensors (PMU is turned on by default).

• Plots corrected for wattages.

• Plots allowed for smc voltages.

• Plots have new theme(s).

• Main view resized and with left aligned text on the value column for a better reading.

• Added Asus P8Z77-v LX and Gigabyte Z370M DS3H-CF configurations by Nuacho.

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@vector sigma Thanks for the update.

I am booting off OpenCore 0.5.6 and using VirtualSMC 1.1.1 with SMCProcessor & SMCSuperIO kexts.

SMBIOS iMacPro1,1

IPG 3.7.0 installed

HWMonitorSMC2 v2.6.1 is showing 8 cores for my i7-3770K (4 cores with HT) where as iStat is correctly showing 4 cores:

HWMonitorSMC2 v2.6.1 is showing 5 fans correctly but iStat is only showing 2:

186846154_Screenshot2020-02-15at12_56_27.thumb.png.0891d407b97f127950e5c6d102f3aaf1.png1339372881_Screenshot2020-02-15at12_57_49.png.0b316dc0cdd93f51155fd54049073ada.png

How to make both apps show correctly ?

Also how to change the names of the FANS and Voltages ?

3 hours ago, MacNB said:

HWMonitorSMC2 v2.6.1 is showing 8 cores for my i7-3770K (4 cores with HT) where as iStat is correctly showing 4 cores:

this is the function that returns the core count in Intel Power Gadget:

/*@function PG_GetNumCores
* @abstract Gets the number of CPU cores on the specified package.
* @param iPackage Index of Intel processor package to query. Must be less than the value from PG_GetNumPackages.
* @param numCores Pointer that will be updated with the number of CPU cores on this system.
* @result True on success, false on failure. */
bool PG_GetNumCores(int iPackage, int* numCores);

..and there is no mention that numCores must divided by two, so I guess it is at least a bug in Intel Power Gadget (see next post). Don't be surprised, HWMonitorSMC2.app uses the latest availabe library while I have doubt iStat already implemented this, otherwise will have the same readings.

3 hours ago, MacNB said:

HWMonitorSMC2 v2.6.1 is showing 5 fans correctly but iStat is only showing 2:

This depend by developers. In the first place you have something wrong because the motherboard name didn't show up. So the LPC configuration (assuming one for your motherboard exists) is not applied. iStat decide that Fans reporting 0 rpm are invalid and not shown (this should depend if PWM can turn off the fans otherwise they must be display even with 0 RPM, I guess). In HWMonitorSMC2 this is configurable, as well for the fan/voltages name.

Edited by vector sigma

One interesting thing, Hyper-Threading:

some part of the core are duplicated, not entirely, but it physically doubles the cores which runs at different frequency and different temperatures.

19005f1.gif

Hyper-threading works by duplicating certain sections of the processor—those that store the architectural state—but not duplicating the main execution resources. This allows a hyper-threading processor to appear as two "logical" processors to the host operating system,

If i increase by one the core count manually it show 0 for both frequency and temperature of the fake core I added... all this is correct because that means that there are also sensors that monitoring all this for true.

Conclusion: HWMonitorSMC2 and Intel Power Gadget are right, iStat is wrong (or incomplete, maybe read SMC keys).

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, vector sigma said:

This depend by developers. In the first place you have something wrong because the motherboard name didn't show up. So the LPC configuration (assuming one for your motherboard exists) is not applied. iStat decide that Fans reporting 0 rpm are invalid and not shown (this should depend if PWM can turn off the fans otherwise they must be display even with 0 RPM, I guess). In HWMonitorSMC2 this is configurable, as well for the fan/voltages name.

The motherboard is pretty old now (Z77X-UP5-TH) but well used in the hack world. So not sure what would be wrong with LPC - apart from SMCSuperIO kext implementation for the ITX8*** sensor chip. It's the first time I am trying this kext & VirtualSMC.

It's a shame there is not a unified version of sensors & SMC emulator but instead three variants and SMC and various sensor kexts that do not inter-operate --- joys of open source and free will I guess.

Are you saying that HWMonitorSMC2 should display the motherboard name (Z77X-UP5-TH) instead of the sensor chip name ?

Regarding the iStat fan reading of zero, on that particular fan header, there is no fan connected so 0 speed seems correct ?

HWMonitorSMC2 too is showing 0.

I must have missed the name configuration in HWMonitorSMC2. Where is it?

Thanks for the explanation of the HT. This is obviously new in IPG (displaying both real and logical cores data).

6 hours ago, vector sigma said:

One interesting thing, Hyper-Threading:

some part of the core are duplicated, not entirely, but it physically doubles the cores which runs at different frequency and different temperatures.

19005f1.gif

Hyper-threading works by duplicating certain sections of the processor—those that store the architectural state—but not duplicating the main execution resources. This allows a hyper-threading processor to appear as two "logical" processors to the host operating system,

If i increase by one the core count manually it show 0 for both frequency and temperature of the fake core I added... all this is correct because that means that there are also sensors that monitoring all this for true.

Conclusion: HWMonitorSMC2 and Intel Power Gadget are right, iStat is wrong (or incomplete, maybe read SMC keys).

Thanks for the explanation. But...iStat on my real Ivy Bridge MacbookPro (with 4 cores) is also showing stats for only for 4 not 8.

Maybe, iStat is deliberately choosing to show physical core stats instead of architectural cores.

Or, maybe because IPG on my MacBook is only version 3.5.5 ??

On 2/15/2020 at 2:51 AM, vector sigma said:

New HWMonitorSMC2.app v2.6.1

• Behavior follow Intel Power Gadget.app showing sensors (PMU is turned on by default).

• Plots corrected for wattages.

• Plots allowed for smc voltages.

• Plots have new theme(s).

• Main view resized and with left aligned text on the value column for a better reading.

• Added Asus P8Z77-v LX and Gigabyte Z370M DS3H-CF configurations by Nuacho.

@vector sigma

Forgive my ignorance. I use asus z370-i gaming motherboard. I used the latest FakeSMC.kext 3.5.3 and W836x.kext 1.3.4 and HWMonitorSMC2 v2.6.1, and now I have two problems:
1. Unable to obtain fan information, changing the FANINLIMIT value will not work either;
2. The voltage value obtained by the chipset sensor is wrong. I don't know how to set the voltage value of each sensor, such as how to get the Rf and Ri values in + 12VC?
3. How to determine whether the default in W836x.kext or the corresponding motherboard setting is effective?
4. What is the relationship between HWMonitorSMC2.app/Contents/SharedSupport/LPC/ASUS/Nuvoton NCT6793D / ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING.plist and W836x.kext? I migrated the information from ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING.plist to W836x.kext. It didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Here are my screenshots and attachments, please help to look at the problem, thank you!

Defualt.thumb.png.569e2f07e260f03a67758d771bc5c479.png

QQ20200216-130602@2x.thumb.png.b06de090f5aff9395950374e28db89dc.png

QQ20200216-130258@2x.thumb.png.b77e095cf83255c8027b59b07fb8074a.png

10 hours ago, MacNB said:

Thanks for the explanation. But...iStat on my real Ivy Bridge MacbookPro (with 4 cores) is also showing stats for only for 4 not 8.

I think you should trust more Intel who made the software and your CPU, you don't think?

Maybe, iStat is deliberately choosing to show physical core stats instead of architectural cores.

What make you think "architectural cores" (logical part) are not physical? The difference is that each one of them (in pairs) share the processor execution resource part. All that to say that Intel apparently put sensors on each logical core, which is expected for a correct measurement.... and the library just read them.

Or, maybe because IPG on my MacBook is only version 3.5.5 ??

Here there is a distinguish. IntelPowerGadget.framework 3.7.0 carries 3 headers, first two are marked as deprecated (the framework print a clear message about this), the third one (which I using) was introduced this or last month, the newer iStat is from October 19...

6 hours ago, moozuki said:

I do believe I did!

Care to update your bootloader as is not showing the motherboard name? Say that because without OEM informations the configuration will not be automatically detected.