OS X Yosemite DP's builds!

2,033 posts in this topic

Didn't work for me at all. Maybe I'll try that then...

68BE1002 in the amd5000.kext info.plist and 68BE1002 in the juniper framebuffer section in the ati or amdx3000.kext info.plist. works great. It's been my experience that after installing the kexts back that I've had to shut down then boot, with -x, the first time, then reboot again regular P.S. you'll have to re-do each new DP as a new install, that's the way it's been in the past anyway

Nice lol so are you using the Radeon with Yosemite?

The GTX650 is a more powerful card so I don't really mind the upgrade even if I didn't have to. But if the 5750 works in Yosemite I might run it for a bit.

And that's what I figured. What a pain in the ass lol I might stay at DP1 until the official release lol

Not yet, I have to either wait for a chameleon boot  or get a new drive. I don't want to mess up my mav trying clover, even though it looks pretty straightforward, so if I can make some room I'll get it going, got some great tutorials already, good luck to you on your install, it'll shake out for everyone real soon I'm sure!

Reviewing:

I remember reading in the release notes something about the Migration Assistant, but all I can tell is it worked great for me - perhaps because I only migrated the apps, not any user account. Logic Pro X and a lot of audio units work under 10.10 with absolutely no hassle. In fact, a vey pleasant experience so far with all my audio apps and plugins, that including Adobe Audition. My Fast Track and my professional Universal Audio both worked OOB, and I didn't try to install drivers for ye old Soundblaster Emu10K, or for lil' ol' Envy 24 Audiophile 2496. 

Talking about Adobe, all CS6 apps but After Effects worked as they should. Of course something will come out, since I didn't really have time to do extensive tests. Some of them needed the legacy Java library to be installed.

Little snitch doesn’t work anymore.

FaceTime and iMessage both work as advertised, and I didn’t yet notice any big changes. Safari, on the other hand, is a clone of iOS’ version, and I like the change. The icons take time to get used to, but now I’m starting to like them more than the “old fashioned” Mavericks icons. The spotlight search opens in a transparent menu and it seems to have become quite powerful, but it’s obviously unfinished work, since it’s slow quite a lot. Like the intuitive way the apps enter fullscreen - the maximise window green little ball. Cool, better than before, the green circle became useful again.

Coming in the next few hours: will FCPX work properly? Stay tuned.

All the best!

P.S.: Hahahahaah! Both the Soundblaster and the Audiophile works with their old drivers. Amazing, and props to the developers!

P.P.S.: My Logitech webcam works OOB with FaceTime, but that was kind of expected.

P.P.P.S.: Cvad, we need a new Kext Utility! :) The current one cannot rebuild caches under 10.10: I'm afraid to reboot, hehehe.
  • Like 5

Not yet. Cannot you use the USB stick to boot from the Yosemite HDD? I also cannot but using the Yosemite HDD's own Clover, so I use the one installed on my main Mavericks HDD and select the Yosemite HDD in the menu.

P.S.: post the logs where appropriate, both in the topic of the guide you followed and the Clover main topic. You'll have better chances of support there... ;)

I posted them in the guide's thread, never been on the Clover thread. Which one should I post it to?

Just wasn't a 100% sure it's even a Clover issue, as I've never used it before lol

Everything I'm doing so far is from the USB. I created a 40GB partition on one of my HDD's that had some space on it and installed Yosemite there. I tried to install Clover to that partition but I get a boot1 error when I try to boot it. I'm sure I did it wrong tho lol

@ADHDMedia:

Everything that needed to be said about Yosemite DP1 was said in the first 5 pages of this thread.  After +Ira and a few others got things worked out, all we needed to do was follow their instructions and tweak things based upon the features of our own machines.  By carefully following the instructions on in the first few pages and knowing the characteristics of my laptop, I had Yosemite running as well as it can at this point in about 3 hours.  After that, I spent another 6 hours customizing it to see what works and what doesn't.  I've spotted several bugs in the display so far and found several programs that do not run correctly on Yosemite.

But somewhere along the line, this thread became a help forum.  I thought we make new threads about installation and post-installation problems in those forums, not in the new releases forum.  Our moderator has already pointed this out.  Then, I see a comment from someone who feels that because he managed to get DP1 running, he shouldn't have to start from scratch with a new developer preview.  Well, I think my comment was appropriate.  The people that have spent hours working on getting DP1 working know what's involved.  They don't do it entirely to be the first ones on their block to have some cool new toy.  It's really frustrating to have to scroll through all the "I got a KP, please help" posts to see if there is any useful information.  I personally am looking through this thread in the hope that someone may have a Lapic patch for the kernel that prevents HP laptops from getting a KP unless you use cpus=1.

Unfortunately,  I'm not really seeing any more useful information in this thread.  Many thanks to the guys that stayed up all night last Monday night to figure this out and make it easier for the rest of us.  I've said my peace.  I'll stick to substantive OS X matters from here on out.

• Like 3

Everything that needed to be said about Yosemite DP1 was said in the first 5 pages of this thread. After +Ira and a few others got things worked out, all we needed to do was follow their instructions and tweak things based upon the features of our own machines. By carefully following the instructions on in the first few pages and knowing the characteristics of my laptop, I had Yosemite running as well as it can at this point in about 3 hours. After that, I spent another 6 hours customizing it to see what works and what doesn't. I've spotted several bugs in the display so far and found several programs that do not run correctly on Yosemite.

But somewhere along the line, this thread became a help forum. I thought we make new threads about installation and post-installation problems in those forums, not in the new releases forum. Our moderator has already pointed this out. Then, I see a comment from someone who feels that because he managed to get DP1 running, he shouldn't have to start from scratch with a new developer preview. Well, I think my comment was appropriate. The people that have spent hours working on getting DP1 working know what's involved. They don't do it entirely to be the first ones on their block to have some cool new toy. It's really frustrating to have to scroll through all the "I got a KP, please help" posts to see if there is any useful information. I personally am looking through this thread in the hope that someone may have a Lapic patch for the kernel that prevents HP laptops from getting a KP unless you use cpus=1.

Unfortunately, I'm not really seeing any more useful information in this thread. Many thanks to the guys that stayed up all night last Monday night to figure this out and make it easier for the rest of us. I've said my peace. I'll stick to substantive OS X matters from here on out.

Thank you so much to all guys who helped me especially you Mnfsq since we both have HP's. Thanks to your clover guide I was able to get a running clover (it's been a while I was trying to get clover running on my HP, I was almost going to let down then you told me your clover was running on a non probook/elitebook HP I was excited to try it).

Now installing Yosemite. Hope everything will be smoth.

@abdouoi:

hi

you need to delete the kernelcache then boot into recovery partition go to Disk Utillity and klick repair Volume if this down restart to your 10.10 partition.

and don't forget if you have a patched kext in S/L/E you must add these to the AppleKextExcludeList,

and this to your boot-args

kext-dev-mode=1

good luck ^_^

Guys so here's the bullet proof simpliest guide i can write if you're using clover and already has it working with Mavericks.

I'm assuming you already know how to do a Base System based USB/HDD/Partition whatever installer:

1. Proceed with building the Installer as usual, but forget about mach_kernel, instead copy the BaseSystem.dmg and Basesystem.chunklist that are hidden in the OS X Install ESD dmg you already mounted to the root of your installer partition;

2. Create a folder called kexts in the root of the installer directory and put any needed kexts from your clover EFI partition or whatever they are;

3. Select those kexts and put them also in /System/Library/Extensions of the Installer;

4. Reboot to the installer in Single User Mode and run:

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions
exit
5. At this point the system may continue to load and you'll reach the installer, if it reboots just boot in to it again.

6. Install the system as usual, but do not reboot yet.

7. Close the installer and open Disk Utility select the partition where you installed Yosemite and notate the disk identifier ex: diskXsX

8. Close Disk Utility and open Terminal then run the following:

mkdir /Volumes/TEMP
mount -t hfs /dev/diskXsX /Volumes/TEMP/
cp -R /kexts/* /Volumes/TEMP/System/Library/Extensions/
9. Close Terminal and reboot to the partition you've installed Yosemite in Single User Mode;

10. Run the following commands again:

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions
exit
11. At this point the system may continue to load and you'll reach the system, if it reboots just boot in to it again.

Enjoy!

If someone found a simpler way please post, this is the way i get it working. Don't forget to thanks the guys behind Clover, netkas, @theconnactic, @snatch and the InsanelyMac Family. I've just glued the pieces together.

I'm now at step 8. But I get mount_hfs: resource busy

steep 8 not need, I make this :

cd /

cd kext

cp -R * /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions

sudo touch /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions

exit

• Like 1

Continuing my review: VirtualBox works flawlessly (latest version). Parallels 8 doesn't even start.

Final Cut Pro X, version 10.1, will work! :D

But OS X 10.10 doesn't want to let you know that: it won't appear in the Launchpad, and you won't be able to launch it clicking on the app's icon, which will have that "prohibited" sign around it. Well. Just right-click it, show package contents, open the MacOS folder and drag the file inside it to a terminal window. Hit return and voila: it will open!

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 04.36.51.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 04.36.59.png

All the best!

• Like 1

steep 8 not need, I make this :

cd /

cd kext

cp -R * /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions

sudo touch /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions

exit

However, I never use the touch command and other kextcache command, but yosemite boots nicely.

What does this command do actually?

I googled and find that for existing files, touch just change the time stamp. How is it related to our issue?

DESCRIPTION

The kextcache program creates kext caches, which speed up kext loading operations. It is invoked auto-matically automatically

matically as needed to rebuild system caches.

Caution: Incorrect use of kextcache can render a volume incapable of startup. Installers and adminis-trators administrators

trators should not use this program to update system kext caches. Instead they should run touch(1) on

the /System/Library/Extensions/ directory of the installation target volume after they have finished,

which invalidates the existing caches and causes the system to update all necessary kext caches.

kextcache -update-volume can be used to wait for this process to complete. See ``Apple Developer

Technical Q&A QA1319: Installing an I/O Kit Kext Without Rebooting'' for information on updating kext

caches on prior releases of Mac OS X.

kextcache(8) Mac OS X Manual Page

my comment to OSX 10.10 is  the concept of the design i so plain like the icons, docks and the other tabs & buttons,

for me Maverick still the best :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

I got it to boot on my Z68 rig. First I installed and tested it on my MBP on an external HD, then I decided, what the hell I might as well try it on my hack... Put FakeSMC in S/L/E, booted with kext-dev-mode=1 -s, using my existing Clover installation, loaded FakeSMC, and then exited. It went into a boot loop at first, but after turning it off and booting back into it, it worked just fine. Everything works with just FakeSMC (except audio, i never bothered with it on this computer because I use a USB audio interface which works OOB). Is it normal that I don't need kext-dev-mode=1 to boot after that, and if so, is it not going to load FakeSMC if I rebuild the kernel cache?

Another weird thing, on my MBP, my startup disk is labeled "OS X installer" and if I try to boot it, it shows the 10.10 progress bar loading screen. It shows it and boots it normally with refit though, which is what I use anyway... Strange.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to post this in the boot guide thread...

Its 775 not 755.

1 = execute

2 = write

4 = read

7 = 4 + 2 +1

5 = 4 + 1

the permissions are on the user - group - other models

so user = 7;  group = 7; other = 5

does the group need to have permissions to write on FakeSMCkext? I don't think so, just to read and execute it, IMO

sorry for this off topic   :P

• Like 3

Test, please, and report as much as possible.

Clover-2695

Hi Slice, quick question, I know that 269x builds are not official releases yet, but is there a changelog for versions between 2675 and 2689 that I'm not finding? It's not in the official Clover Changes thread.