OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

@jkbuha nice to see you around, too. I went with a *not-so-new* mac due to upgradability & repairability concerns, so it's only an Ivy Bridge laptop, but even our Sandy Bridge machines are still holding up pretty nice, so no worries there.. it's gonna age really well, considering SNB is at least 4 years old this year.

I have never had a KP that would be cause by HD3000 graphics. Actually, I can't even recall having a graphics related KP at all ...

Resuming from sleep with KPs has to do with UEFI booting & aptiofix in particular, I would suggest giving aptiofix2 a go if you hadn't already. 

Hey guys!

Thanks for the excelent job! I was able to properly install OSX Yosemite 10.10.2, even though I've never used OSX before.

I have only one doubt. I can see both of my gpus (Intel HD 3000 and Radeon 6750M) at system info. Apparently, the kexts are loaded correctly.

But I don't know how to switch to my radeon, I tried gfxCardStatus v2.3 but when choosing discrete, nothing happens.

I tried to enabled PatchVBios but then my system won't boot anymore.

I'm using vostro 3450.

What am I missing?

Really thanks!

• Like 1

Hmm, that's why! I saw this video: 

and thought it would be possible.

That's why I tweaked clover to inject radeon' kexts. 

It's possible to only inject Radeon, so?

Disabling Intel seems to have no effect (it's injected anyway)

thanks again.

AMD is only a hardware renderer and is incapable of outputting image to LVDS panel on its own, without passing it through the Intel card first. Hence there's no way to disable Intel card nor there is a way to make them switch either dynamically or on demand. The video shows a desktop boards. 

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification, it's not that easy to find this kind of information when you don't know the keywords, lol

Anyway, excelent job.
I'm myself a developer, if there's some way to help with this project, let me know!

New package.

Version 1.1.2 (February 14th, 2015):

- Clover updated to rev.3167 (boot up text removed)
- HWSensors and HWMonitor updated to 6.14.1364, HWMonitor fixed to display fan sensors
- ACPIBatteryManager updated to 1.55
- ACID (AC Adapter Information) added to FakeSMC to prevent powerd spam
- CodecCommander updated with changes by @darkvoid, custom user commands and user client (hdaverb-like) now available for experimentation
- VoodooPS2 Keyboard - Insert mapped to Apple Help (allows Insert to be used in Parallels etc), PrtScr mapped to F13.
- VoodooPS2Trackpad SwapDoubleTriple has been set to No, which previously was deliberately enabled. Right click now is 2 finger tap, middle click - 3 finger tap.
- Backlight control ACPI rewritten, original Q80 and Q81 EC Queries are no longer used and have been substituted with SAVE method on PNLF
- Backlight levels in OSX scale with BIOS levels - no more screen flashing and backlight dimming during cold/soft boots
- Keyboard F3 and F6 buttons can now be used in Special Mode (via Fn+Fx) without causing keyboard backlight level change or touchpad LED toggle
- CMO 1464 Display Profile updated with MacBook Pro 2012 Gamma override
- Handoff + Continuity kext patch added for OSX 10.10.2 (applicable to cards that use Broadcom4360)
- LoginWindow artifact kext patches added for OSX 10.10.2
- LoginWindow hook that tethered nvram save script to logout has been removed (don’t need it anymore)

P.S. Due to the nature of new Apple authentication, this package can no longer guarantee an out-of-the-box solution for Messages/Facetime

N.B. If your laptop behaves really slow (kernel_task takes all the CPU load) and temperatures are sky rocketing over 80C - reflash your BIOS using Pflash.efi method, but specify /cvar flag in startup.nsh to clear NVRAM store! This may happen after getting rid of EmuVariable driver with previous releases of the package.

• Like 2

Hallo TimeWalker,

my Mountain Lion Install was very easy- the guide that you made is perfect. I have changed the intel w lan card and now it is an bcm 94352hmb  azurewave  aw ce 123h - can you show me the way how i can get WLan and BT. Also i have problems this the internal cam thats work very bad image - can you help me to find the cause? 

Best regards

smittiee

For AW-CE123H Wi-Fi you would have to use FakeID in Clover. For bloothooth you would need to use @darkvoid's BrcmPatchRAM kext, which is intended to upload the firmware. I'm not sure there's a fix for the camera. iGlasses seemed like a good way around the pixel-chunky image, but it's blurry too.. mine is 720p and the video it outputs is basically shaite .. I would happily switch it for something compatible, just not sure what.. perhaps an iSight from an old plastic macbook would work .. but would require soldering on ribbon cables, which I'm not a fan of.

I have a L702x.

It's a non-3D model.

I managed to install Yosemite, but now I need a new WiFi card. I want to use Handoff & Continuity, but from what I know I need a BT 4.0 capable card.

I was thinking about buying a BCM943225HMB card and a separate BT 4.0 dongle or buying a more expensive card, like the BCM94352HMB (which has 802.11ac and BT 4.0 out of the box) , but I don't know if the more expensive one will work with my laptop, theoretically it should, but I'm not sure.

Any kind of advice is appreciated.

L.E.: Thank you! I'll buy the BCM94352HMB and patch it using the instructions.

I have a L702x.

It's a non-3D model.

I managed to install Yosemite, but now I need a new WiFi card. I want to use Handoff & Continuity, but from what I know I need a BT 4.0 capable card.

I was thinking about buying a BCM943225HMB card and a separate BT 4.0 dongle or buying a more expensive card, like the BCM94352HMB (which has 802.11ac and BT 4.0 out of the box) , but I don't know if the more expensive one will work with my laptop, theoretically it should, but I'm not sure.

Any kind of advice is appreciated.

Regarding BCM94352, I think that TW already answered on post #886 and #911

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo Timewalker,

i have found this app and install it after i open it the integrated cam has an very good picture - but in FaceTime is the picture always bad - why is it so? is it possible now to create a solution?

App download file: http://www.phoboslab.org/files/misc/uvc-camera-control-class.zip UVCCameraControl class

Best Regards

smittiee

Hallo Timewalker,

i have found this app and install it after i open it the integrated cam has an very good picture - but in FaceTime is the picture always bad - why is it so? is it possible now to create a solution? This is for the app.

App download file:  http://www.phoboslab.org/files/misc/camera-control.zip Demo App and XCode source

Best Regards

smittiee

A solution that works to this day is using iGlasses demo provided with the package. You can then select the camera from the drop-down menu in the respective application (FaceTime for example) and the quality will improve, dramatically. The origin of this issue is unknown to me, but for all I know this is something related to camera resolution not being selected properly .. it's either too low or too high for the camera to handle (you get black screen with the later one). HP ProBooks have had this problem with their Sandybridge series as well.. 

I have the L702x and I have Yosemite up and running. The only thing I haven't been able to get working is the mini DP so I can connect to an external monitor. HD3000 appears to be installed correctly but when I go to System Preferences > Display the external display isn't recognised and the screen has no input.

Is there a special step to enable the display port or have I made a mistake along the way do you reckon?

P.S. Thanks for all the great work and helping a noob like me!

Hallo Timewalker,

i have buy a very cheap (7,- GbP)  Dell Vostro 3550 Webcam 1MWM9 (ref 16697) at Ebay and change the webcam -it was very easy-.

because it has identical construction but is an Ricoh and works now obb in Yosemite. I have change the datas in Customperipheral.kext and revised the config.plist because i have the BCM94352hmb Wlan BT card and installed BrcmPatchRAM.kext now works all and i am very happy- thank you for your Installation Guide and the support.

best regards

smittiee

New package.

Version 1.1.2 (February 14th, 2015):

- Clover updated to rev.3167 (boot up text removed)

- HWSensors and HWMonitor updated to 6.14.1364, HWMonitor fixed to display fan sensors

- ACPIBatteryManager updated to 1.55

- ACID (AC Adapter Information) added to FakeSMC to prevent powerd spam

- CodecCommander updated with changes by @darkvoid, custom user commands and user client (hdaverb-like) now available for experimentation

- VoodooPS2 Keyboard - Insert mapped to Apple Help (allows Insert to be used in Parallels etc), PrtScr mapped to F13.

- VoodooPS2Trackpad SwapDoubleTriple has been set to No, which previously was deliberately enabled. Right click now is 2 finger tap, middle click - 3 finger tap.

- Backlight control ACPI rewritten, original Q80 and Q81 EC Queries are no longer used and have been substituted with SAVE method on PNLF

- Backlight levels in OSX scale with BIOS levels - no more screen flashing and backlight dimming during cold/soft boots

- Keyboard F3 and F6 buttons can now be used in Special Mode (via Fn+Fx) without causing keyboard backlight level change or touchpad LED toggle

- CMO 1464 Display Profile updated with MacBook Pro 2012 Gamma override

- Handoff + Continuity kext patch added for OSX 10.10.2 (applicable to cards that use Broadcom4360)

- LoginWindow artifact kext patches added for OSX 10.10.2

- LoginWindow hook that tethered nvram save script to logout has been removed (don’t need it anymore)

P.S. Due to the nature of new Apple authentication, this package can no longer guarantee an out-of-the-box solution for Messages/Facetime

N.B. If your laptop behaves really slow (kernel_task takes all the CPU load) and temperatures are sky rocketing over 80C - reflash your BIOS using Pflash.efi method, but specify /cvar flag in startup.nsh to clear NVRAM store! This may happen after getting rid of EmuVariable driver with previous releases of the package.

Thanks! This resolved issues I had with the laptop not recognizing the battery.

the only issue is: I had custom values for the serial, MB ROM, SM BIOS. For some reason the package replaced with random values, which caused the FaceTime to deactivate. Just had to put the older values there.

It depends on whether you use the OEM folder or not. If you do, then the backup script doesn't quite work the way I've intended it to. Perhaps I should rework the procedure and actually make the package do console logging .. but that's for next release I think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on whether you use the OEM folder or not. If you do, then the backup script doesn't quite work the way I've intended it to. Perhaps I should rework the procedure and actually make the package do console logging .. but that's for next release I think.

Ah, I see. Well, from what i think, I am uploading my serials using the config.plist, which wouldn't get replaced, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I can't to get the card reader of my laptop working (10.10.2).

I tried editing your injector (CustomPeripheral.kext) but it doesn't work, could you help my to fix it?

Thank you!

Your XML is broken  - you've lost the </dict> closing tag before the closing tag for the </plist>, therefore it is not being parsed and loaded. 

Plist parse error: Close tag on line 204 does not match open tag dict