[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

@Airborne

Please lets keep this thread about OS X, if you need help for ubuntu check this.

Thanks 

Jah.. thanks for the reply but this thead is about YOUR build.. which uses Ubuntu to mount Android! This error is happening when I try to install Ubuntu from your steps on the first page..... In which I gave up and installed Android-iA with no problems installing.. just keep having freezing wifi.. Looking into trying Android x86 4.4 with usb wifi next..

Hey guys, just got a surface pro 1st edition

I'm not sure if it's the brand of USB or what, but when I hold down the volume down button to boot to the USB, it just boots to windows.

On my mac the USB shows all content and is called install osx

On the pc it's called efi and shows that it's blank. I ensured the volume down button works.

I am doing a yosemite install, but it's not a clean install. I just shrank the volume and reformatted the shrank volume to ntfs.

• 2 weeks later...

@@JahStories

we all have that orange light, it could be a disk activity led or a wifibt one.

i've searched around the net about this orange led without success.

If you figure out what it is surely let us know  :D

Searching for the blinking orange light only brought me here again.

Don't know if it's any use, but my device has that video glitch where the apple logo tiles on the screen.

For me, the light starts when that happens.

• 2 weeks later...

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :) Happy Owner of Surface Pro 2 :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Thanks JahStories

Sucessfully installed Following OS

MAC OS 10.10-   Working USB Wifi and Internal Bluetooth + Touch Keyboard and pad + Internal Sound

UBUNTU 14-       Working internal wifi bloutooth + Touch keyboard and pad + Internal Sound

And Finally today morning after a long time struggle

ANDROID X86 4.4 RC1-   Working USB Wifi + USB Keyboard Mouse + Internal Sound

For android i followed following Guide it was for sony but worked for me also

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=51631211#post51631211

(Surface2Pro+OSX+Yosemite)

Hi. Just wanted to comment two things. I had no USB 3.0 support. So I have downloaded the latest "GenericUSBXHCI.kext" and then removed the "gux_defer_usb2" in my config.plist boot parameters got it working. At least I can say that I get very good transfer speed and all my devices are detected perfectly. I am using a HUB USB 3.0 and all my Hard Drives are USB 3.0. 

The second thing is that I had some graphic corruption in some apps and windows, so I have added this patch to KernelAndKextPatches -> KextsToPatch

<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>0x0a260006 9MB cursor bytes patch</string>
<key>Find</key>
<string>0600260a01030303000000020000300100006000</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<string>0600260a01030303000000020000300100009000</string>
</dict>

And got rid of the graphics issues... 

Thanks.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the guide. I successfully installed OSX 10.9 (NOT 10.9.1, 10.9.2, OR ETC. Just 10.9) on my SP2 (i5 4300u).
I followed every single step from getting a vanilla Mavericks from App Store.

However, I have a few problems with it:

1. I cannot boot into OSX without USB. Is there any way to dual-boot without re-installing? I couldn't find a way to fix it, so I just installed on my SSD (OSX partition) by following Step4 on this guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html). It messed up and, I couldn't boot into both Windows and OSX. I ended up formatting whole SSD and reinstall everything. I'm still at the stage "post installation" section of this guide of Jah. Can anyone help me please?

2. I cannot use Bluetooth. I "kextdropped" the attached bluetooth kext, but nothing happens.

3. Headphone jack doesn't work. Even if I connect my headphone to the jack, I still hear sound from the speaker.

4. How can I enable wifi? I have TP-LINK TL-WN723N. I tried every link here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/296114-wifi-kexts-needed/?hl=+tl#8208wn723n=). I don't even know what to do. After installing the driver there, what should I do? I plugged in my wifi dongle, but nothing happens. When I go to airport setting, no device shows up. When I check "Network" on preference, only Bluetooth shows up (and it is disabled as mentioned in #2 above). Would you please share some of your story to make an wifi dongle work?

5. I tried to make a clover bootable disk on my micro SD. I partitioned my 128gb MicroSD, but my SP2 doesn't recognize it as a USB disk when it boots up. I thought it would work since OSX recognizes both EFI and Storage partition, but Windows only recognizes my storage portion of 128gb MicroSD although I set "primary" for both storage partition and Clover bootloader partition. Guess this option is not working for me :(

(surface2osx) (surface2win)

Question, Latest Clover in the link in the guide does not give me any option to install to the actual USB as stated in the guide.

You state copy this below, to where ?

6. When installation is finished , copy Config.plist from attached files in EFI/CLOVER/
7. Copy dsdt.aml/ssdt-0.aml/ssdt-1.aml from attached files in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
8. Copy mach-kernel from attached files to your USB drive
9. Copy the extensions from the attached files to System/Library/Extensions

Doing this in Win 8.1 using vmware to try and create a USB stick to boot and install.

@Keited

The DMG to USB restore makes the nUSB stupid and not active, so it is not bootable. This happens if you use the .iso 10.10.1 or earlier base....dmg THat is why you have to run the clover bootloader installer to repair this problem.

Alternative what works in vmware is if you set the USB in the microsd card slot as scsi internal hard drive, use complete drive, install to this microsd card and then run clover bootloader.

Problem is it will actually boot and show the clover screen on the SP2 but if you did not copy the files it will run up to a point during OSX boot and then lock up.

(surface2osx)

Thank you so much for your help.

I have a few questions:

1. Sound jack doesn't work - sound comes from the speaker even if I plug-in an earphone to the jack. (Sound did not come out at first, but I fixed by following the audio glitch section of the guide)

2. I am on "10.9". Am I safe to update via "software update" on the apple menu? I want to update from "10.9" to upper version like 10.9.1 or further. What should I do? I don't want to install or fix any more drivers... I just want to update to the point where I can update without updating/installing any driver/kext.

Thank you!

(surfaceosx) (surfacewin)

Hi guys!

@OP: Thanks for the guide, it is amazing and easy to use.

My Surface Pro (1) is now dual boot OS X Mavericks and Windows 10 (Technical Preview).

I only have one issue, there is no sound at all, bluetooth is working (can't disable it), display is ok, camera (back and front) are working, even sleeping is working, but the sound icon is gray (on the menu bar) and the sound settings say that there is not sound device.

EDIT: I also want to know about updates... Is there a safe way?

Just curious. Actually more of a confirmation. After reading all of the updates, fixes, etc... on this thread. Is it safe to say that the most current install guide for the Surface Pro 2 is still on the main page of this thread? 

I.e. have all the updates and such been noted there as well?

SURFACE2OSX

Hi all,

Newbie here, preparing to install Mavericks on my SP2.

Question, I hope its not a silly one I have hunted around for an answer.  At the top of the guide it says 10.9.3 is the most recent supported update for SP2.  But then in the SP2 install guide it only references 10.9.2.  Which build should I use for the install?  10.9 and apply updates or can I use 10.9.3 from the start?

Also from what I read it seems Mavericks rather than Yosemite on SP2 is the best bet for most functionality at this point correct?

Thanks

Alex

Microsoft SurfacePro 2 OS:Windows 8,1, Cpu:u4200u Gpu:HD4400 Ram:8gb 1333  WiFi:internal + edimax wifi usb dongle SSD:512gb

(surfacepro2osx10.10.1)

I have a functional version of OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite dual booting with Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro 2. Mostly I followed this guide and another that I will pull out a link for in my next post.

What I wanted to know is, is there any reason I couldn't/ shouldn't post the entirety of my OS X bootable USB for other people to use? I'll include some instructions, drivers and advice in the areas I had trouble (it's been a long and tricky process) once I know.

Thanks

Si

Edit:

Also my first post. So hi all and thanks for all of the hard work.

(surfacepro2osx10.10.1)

I have a functional version of OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite dual booting with Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro 2. Mostly I followed this guide and another that I will pull out a link for in my next post.

What I wanted to know is, is there any reason I couldn't/ shouldn't post the entirety of my OS X bootable USB for other people to use? I'll include some instructions, drivers and advice in the areas I had trouble (it's been a long and tricky process) once I know.

Thanks

Si

Edit:

That will be great for noobs like me. Thx

(surfacepro2osx10.10.1)

Thanks

Si

Edit:

I would also love to read your advice!