[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

1. So cleaning your whole ssd solved it?

2. Put your screen to sleep and back in order to get display controls...or else it will be stuck at mid range

3. Volume controls on the left wont work due to Touchbase driver conflicts...you have to resort to the menubar. AppleWirelessKeyboard thankfully has the vol control options for me close to fingers.

1. I used "diskpart - clean" command before installing Windows 8.1, then this problem occurs. I must repartition the whole disk in OS X installer, so Windows 8.1 partition lost.

I attempted to install Win8.1 after OS X installed, but Win8.1 Setup told me the disk is MBR partition table! so I must diskpart - clean, then install Windows8.1 properly and of course OS X partition lost:(

I haven't used BootCamp on my SP2, only official diskpart and diskutil are used, so this problem is strange.

See comments below:

Thanks for this thread!

I have 3 problems on my Surface Pro 2:

1. Partition cannot be erased in OS X installer: My partition table is GPT created in Windows 8 Setup. I followed the C. Install OSX on the Surface Pro 2, step 3, Disk Utility reports "This partition cannot be modified." "This disk appears to be partitioned for BootCamp. Changing the partition map may make this disk unbeatable using Windows."  [ So, finally cleaned the whole disk and installed only OS X].

2. LED Backlight control didn't work. After installed followed this post and using FilesPackage V0.3 for 10.9.2, I found my SP2 backlight cannot be controlled in Display System Preference -- the scrollbar appears, but no effect when slide on it!

3. Cannot control volume by volume key on the left. I found the Volume -/+ keys didn't work, if this can be fixed?

Finally, I found the root cause of my partition problem:

If we installed Win8.1 first and then boot into OS X Installer, Disk Utility show "This disk appears to be partitioned for BootCamp. Changing the partition map may make this disk unbeatable using Windows." is just OK.

We must select the partition prepared for OS X installation, then erase it as normal, the operation will success!

The gibberish is one of the things that I wanted to clean. No idea why it would cause OS X to fail to load (except maybe because of boredom :) ).

I can confirm, beside that BT is working, that there are (since installing the kext) minor boot problems, that didn’t occure before. OSX "stuck" while booting i would say 2 out of 10 times.

Perhaps its just my system (OSX/Win8.1 SF Pro One)... shutdown and once more shutting down from the Surface-splash then reboot solves the problem.

AND my Win8.1 reported problems with "C:" and repaired it ... but just once.

... gibberish... :)

Anybody else?

Here is a new version. The sources are in the tarball, the kext is in the .zip file. Please delete the old one (/System/Library/Extensions/Avastar.kext) before upgrading!

I've cleaned up the kext, removed the "gibberish" and separated it from the Wlan stuff which may have caused issues. So now the kext is named "AvastarFwLoader.kext".  Additionally, the kext should now automatically unload itself once the firmware is uploaded. License is GPLv2 except for Marvell's firmware, which is proprietary but freely redistributable.

On the Wlan side... well, the source tar ball now contains a partially reverse engineered IO80211Controller.h header that is compatible with Mavericks, which is a first step.... I now think that porting the Avastar driver from Linux should be easier than e.g. the Intel Wi-Fi driver, because the Avastar driver doesn't call into the Linux 802.11 stack or anything like that. Still, it's probably a month's work just to get scanning working, and a year or so for a driver that can actually connect to anything. So I'm stopping there, I just don't have that much time.

AvastarFwLoader.kext.zip

Avastar.tar.gz

• Like 9

Thanks again, jape! :thumbsup_anim:

...Testing...

Works!    ...glibberish is gone... cool work tho!

@jape:

... i wish you had more time :D ... but it isnt worth, if a tiny dongle could fix that... at least it’s a hackintosh.

The BT-Fix, was a huge step in usability on this machine!!! You made it work, thanks once more!!!

(my innerst tells me, you are an apple-stuff-guy that just was shaking off the sleeves, to give a little push on the gamma-testing of the next "one more thing"... just kidding.) :D

• Like 1

(surfacewin)

Hey guys, i just wanted to come around this thread for

saying ADIOS! Thanks for the tips and tricks i received.

Spending about two weeks with the Surface Pro (64gb)

i came to the conclusion, that this piece of hardware is

not for me and the way i work. I've recognized 3 things:

-misconception in win os system design/metro vs classic

-real screensize & resolution gives me a true headache

-misconception in sp1 hardware design /stand & battery

I've tried to get the best out of the hardware, upgraded

from the Surface to the Pro ..BUT didn`t put OSX on it.

My issues with poor Windows system design when using

Metro or classic or vice versa (or versa vice?) on the SP1

will be obselete using OSX,but screen real estate and the

SPro1 hardware flaws will shurely be an ongoing issue.

Therefore, ciau. adios and tschüss.

Thanks/Regards. Floflood

..system default

..end-of-line

Wow so much progress! Ill be buying a Surface Pro 2 today alongside my Surface Pro 1.

Thank you to everyone who made this possible! In having access to both devices, my goal is to make a universal image/usb maker to streamline the process and roll everyones hard work into a Beta 1 type environment as opposed to a v.01, V.02+V.02b+V.03 (minus some files) ect... Hacking the hacks together has taught me much, but is no where near an ideal experience. I look to post an update/progress by 5/7.

Cheers  :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks a lot!

hope that someone continue your work!

Thanks again!!!

(link on the guide updated)

Wow so much progress! Ill be buying a Surface Pro 2 today alongside my Surface Pro 1.

Thank you to everyone who made this possible! In having access to both devices, my goal is to make a universal image/usb maker to streamline the process and roll everyones hard work into a Beta 1 type environment as opposed to a v.01, V.02+V.02b+V.03 (minus some files) ect... Hacking the hacks together has taught me much, but is no where near an ideal experience. I look to post an update/progress by 5/7.

Cheers  :thumbsup_anim:

Apreciate it! BUT: Think about that some stuff isnt "openSource", so telling people how to kill humans with salt isnt illegal, on the otherhand, if you mix the salt-water solution and fill it up in 5l-mugs and give it to people with the guidance to use it the right way is another thing...

Dont get into trouble. :wink_anim:

If you got it running up once... do some clonezilla backups (or other) ... and you are fine.

@floflood

Sad you leaved!

hope you find the system you need.

@eldabbagh

doing a sort of distro specifically for the surface could seems to be a good thing, but for now, is still yet, heres why:

1. just keep in mind that there are different versions of the surface pro and it'll be hard to make it work on every revision.

2. we still have to fix all these little bugs.

3. let the people learn how to install and prepare an hackintosh.

and last but not least, many of us have made a cloned image of osx, but we are preferring not to share it.

P.s.

if you still want to "publish" that please open another thread, cause that could cause confusion in the discussion.

Thanks!

I just added this to the buglist (switch between headphone/speaker):

"Open up System Preferences, go to sound, switch to stereo or microphone. OR "alt-klick" the speaker icon and selct the desired output."

... it is funny how menues magicaly change (in some options) if you press ctrl, alt, cmd and combinations... even as a "real mac" user i am sometimes still stunning.

osx loves shortcuts!

btw 

look here, i've found a monster!!

... i would like to see that too (OSX on this thingy)... :yes:

cool price... if it is not all glued together...hmmm... wipe my Win8 off of my SurfaXe... and get a "PiPO" (hehe... in germany we say "mit allem Pi Pa Po" - means "with everything you can imagine") just for the Windows... hmmm... but i did not see multitouch.

• Like 1

But its, 10 touch "Capacitive" screen! I dont think it will be the same quality as SP and also the screen is 1280x800 - wont you miss the HD?

if they make a two usb port version i'm surely going to switch to Pipo! XP

if they make a two usb port version i'm surely going to switch to Pipo! XP

yep. but a quicksearch on insanely told me: NO bay-trail atom - so probably NO hackintoshing (...or going back to SL)

maybe with snow leopard that kitten will purr even more! (faster) [i'm still enjoing leopard on my mini700el compaq netbook]

and who knows, maybe someone will come out with a kernel for 10.9 someday  :)

Is there anyway/script I can setup that would put SP to sleep and back awake everytime it loads OSX? It would be good for us with SP2 who need to manually sleep/wake the system everytime after a restart to get brightness controls to work. Thanks

Finaly i was able to install osx but i have an major issue .

I ve a external wifi but i am not able to get it work. I even got the driver cd but its not working

Anyone can help?

What wifi is it, I think there are problems with apple and certain ones?

@mithamp

you can probably use "automator" for that, is preety user friendly.

@hamido123 

look for the prod.it and vend.id on system profiler usb.

then search the forum for a 64bit 10.9 compatible kext.

• Like 1

After using my hacked surface pro for a few weeks, I've decided to sell the tablet.  I had hope it would replace my macbook air and iPad, but I could not get used to the 16x9 format and the battery life was too short. 

Funky. I had the same experience using the Surface Pro for 1-2 weeks.The last time my headache did feel like it

was when using the 11" screen of a MacBook Air. Screensize/resolution and battery is not quite ideal on the Pro.

Finally the inconsistency when using Windows was the real killer for me. The virtual keyboard pops-up in metro

but not in classic when writing. When you hide the taskbar in classic you have a real problem typing :frantics::fishing:

I'm using the ipad4 but there it feels like a handicap not beeing able to use any mouse our touchpad in the apps.

Anyway the MS hardware is a real cool brick. I like heavy quality hardware. They should offer a 12" incher Face.

@floflood

Sad you leaved!

hope you find the system you need.

Thanks, i liked the politness of this blog as much as the infos i came here in

the first place. I guess the system i need has a keyboard but no touchpanel

where i will be a happy B'camper for the next years. I like the Surfaces :bye: