[Guide] Gigabyte Z77X UD5H Clover UEFI Install/Tweak guide

xpamamadeus

465 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am having ongoing issues with sleep on El Capitan.

Basically, unlike in my Yosemite install, the system wakes when any thing happens to a USB device connected to the computer. This includes mice, keyboards and even the switching on or off of the monitor (when the monitors USB hub is connected to a USB port).

I have been using TheRacerMaster script at https://github.com/theracermaster/Gigabyte-GA-Z77X-DSDT-Patch which gets the system booted and works for the most part.

TheRacerMaster has offered me a lot of advice over PM and gave me additional DSDT clover patches to try and disable USB waking, but it doesn't work unfortunately

I have tried a shed load of configurations in the config.plist but to no avail. I have also tried removing my nvidia graphics card to see if that and the nvidia software that was causing it.

I have also tested various BIOS setting configurations; changing the XHCI mode (auto, enabled, smart auto), enabling or disabling EHCI and XHCI hand off modes.

Inside OS X all the settings relating to power management are set sop that nothing should wake it.

Every time the system enters sleep mode, it can be woken by moving the mouse, pressing the keyboard, plugging in or unplugging a USB device or as said above, switching the monitor on or off.

In console, the wake reason are EH01 EH02 or XH01.

I am at the end of my tether as sleep is important for me.

Anyone got any advice?

Have you tried using the SSDT & config.plist generated by the script with Yosemite? Does sleep work then?

Ah ok with ya.

I know I think I have asked you this many many times... Your sleep works as it should right? Does your computer wake on USB input like mine is? If yours does wake on USB input and it is intentional and you like it like that, then have you tried the fixes you sent me to see what effect they have?

I just don't understand why I'm having issues. We have the same motherboard so one would assume what works on yours should work for me.

I think maybe if you could send those screenshot of your bios set up for me to copy it might be and idea. I'm using F16 mod11 but have used that for ages now including in Yosemite.

In fact if you could just send me pretty much all the info you have for your set up, your config.plist, your SSDT's, your bios settings, the exact kexts you're using etc. Maybe just zip your efi partition and send. Just a thought. :)

Ok, I used your scripts and files on my Yosemite installation.  The computer will wake with USB devices as it is doing on El Capitan.

The way that I was able to stop USB devices from wake Yosemite was to enable Inject and Add ClockID in Devices -> USB.  This does not work in El Capitan though.

Not sure if that helps at all.

@TheRacerMaster afaik we have similar hardware but go about things differently so can I please ask if you have any issues with an immediate panic/reboot when waking from sleep with the latest 10.11.2 beta?

I had the same issue with public betas of 10.11 but it was fine when the final release came (Foolishly I didn't test 10.11.1 final).

So am I the only one using the Z77X-UD5H, El Capitan and Clover and is having trouble with USB waking the system?

I have tried without nvidia graphics card. Same issue.

I am using the bios version in my sig. Is there an issue with that bios? Arrrgghhh!!!

Edit: my board revision is 1.0 btw.

Mine wakes when I press either the trackpad, mouse or keyboard (All Apple Bluetooth) and also when I press the power button.

If I don't fix mDNSResponder it also "dark wakes" (No monitor) every two hours but it is supposed to do that.

Mine wakes when I press either the trackpad, mouse or keyboard (All Apple Bluetooth) and also when I press the power button.

If I don't fix mDNSResponder it also "dark wakes" (No monitor) every two hours but it is supposed to do that.

And I take it that on Yosemite the only way you could wake up was by pressing the power button?

TheRacerMaster has tried all sorts of clover patching and even editing a dsdt file and still the bloody thing wakes up when USB devices do anything.

My shutdown is also not working properly either. It goes through the shut down procedure, turns off and then springs back to life 5 seconds later.

It is literally the only thing stopping me using El Capitan as main OS, and i so want be able to so that I can use the upgraded notes app on my other devices.

DOING....MY....TREE IN

I have always had WoL enabled in bios as I do use it.

Everything worked as I wanted it to on Yosemite. The only thing that does seem to be working the same is the bloody USB ports now wake the system whenever anything happens on them. Move a USB mouse, plug something into a port or unplug it, and then sometimes it just wakes on its own with no apparent input. Each time the wake reasons are XH01, EH01 or EH02.

Hey guys,

I'm looking to try a fresh El Capitan install myself but all of these USB and Sleep issues have me worried. My current version of Yosemite is pretty much perfect.

For those with USB/Sleep issues, make sure the "Enable PPL override" or whatever that option is in the CPU settings is disabled.

With 10.11 final I had no problems running El Capitan once I had edited a plist to allow USB 3.0 to fully work (Had to edit AppleHDA and mDNSResonder also but that has to be done in Yosemite too), my panic from wake issue have only been with beta releases and it could be due to the none DSDT system I run.

EDIT: Panic from wake fixed with latest beta.

• 2 weeks later...

I just updated my BIOS with all the latest files using UEFI BIOS Updater (UBU) and so far it's working well.

If anyone wants my personal "Mod20" let me know (Use at your own risk of course).

Are BIOS updates still being created for this board?  If so, where are you getting them?

I'm running the latest official one (f14) right now.