[Guide] Gigabyte Z77X UD5H Clover UEFI Install/Tweak guide

xpamamadeus

465 posts in this topic

@D-an-W and @stuppy_ I believe the problem is more related to Mac OS. As far as I am aware WoL from Power Off ACPI State (S5) is not supported on Mac (if someone knows otherwise please speak up). On systems that support it and are setup correctly WOL will work to wake a computer from a S5 state when you send it a magic packet.

As a sidenote, an interesting quick test I just did was that I can send a magic packet to "wake" from from powered off state if I shutdown From Windows 8.1 x64, but if I attempt to do the same after i have shut down from OS X 10.10.5 (booted via clover) it will not work. This is from the same PC, with the Z77X-UD5H  Rev 1.1 motherboard, and I am sending the magic packets to the onboard Intel NIC over the local network. I have not tried it from 10.11 as I haven't got around to upgrading yet. I'm more a Windows/Linux person than Mac, so someone more knowledgeable may be able to provide more information. But perhaps this may give you idea of what direction to start from. One more thing I should mention, is I actually do have WoL Enabled in my BIOS settings, but it doesn't cause any kind of shutdown problems for me from Yosemite, Windows, or Linux Mint.

• 2 weeks later...

@D-an-W and @stuppy_ I believe the problem is more related to Mac OS. As far as I am aware WoL from Power Off ACPI State (S5) is not supported on Mac (if someone knows otherwise please speak up). On systems that support it and are setup correctly WOL will work to wake a computer from a S5 state when you send it a magic packet.

As a sidenote, an interesting quick test I just did was that I can send a magic packet to "wake" from from powered off state if I shutdown From Windows 8.1 x64, but if I attempt to do the same after i have shut down from OS X 10.10.5 (booted via clover) it will not work. This is from the same PC, with the Z77X-UD5H  Rev 1.1 motherboard, and I am sending the magic packets to the onboard Intel NIC over the local network. I have not tried it from 10.11 as I haven't got around to upgrading yet. I'm more a Windows/Linux person than Mac, so someone more knowledgeable may be able to provide more information. But perhaps this may give you idea of what direction to start from. One more thing I should mention, is I actually do have WoL Enabled in my BIOS settings, but it doesn't cause any kind of shutdown problems for me from Yosemite, Windows, or Linux Mint.

So, what about waking from a sleep state (not shutdown) in OS X? I'm sure I have previously tried enabling WoL in the BIOS settings, enabling 'Wake for Ethernet network access' in System Preferences > Energy Saver and then using a WoL app from my phone to wake it. It just didn't do anything at all.

edit: hm, anyone else having issues waking from sleep in 10.11.2? I got a kernel panic immediately after wake: as usual, I woke it using the USB keyboard and then had to hit a button again to get the screen to wake up. Seemed like I got a limited amount of time at the login screen (could start to type my password etc.) before the machine rebooted itself. Saw it a few times but decided to go back to 10.11.1 for now, really didn't feel like trying to diagnose it or living without sleep functionality.

• 4 weeks later...

So, what about waking from a sleep state (not shutdown) in OS X? I'm sure I have previously tried enabling WoL in the BIOS settings, enabling 'Wake for Ethernet network access' in System Preferences > Energy Saver and then using a WoL app from my phone to wake it. It just didn't do anything at all.

edit: hm, anyone else having issues waking from sleep in 10.11.2? I got a kernel panic immediately after wake: as usual, I woke it using the USB keyboard and then had to hit a button again to get the screen to wake up. Seemed like I got a limited amount of time at the login screen (could start to type my password etc.) before the machine rebooted itself. Saw it a few times but decided to go back to 10.11.1 for now, really didn't feel like trying to diagnose it or living without sleep functionality.

No issues with Sleep here through the updates from 10.11.2 and 10.11.3.  Maybe it has something to do with a particular device connected to your machine via USB?

No issues with Sleep here through the updates from 10.11.2 and 10.11.3.  Maybe it has something to do with a particular device connected to your machine via USB?

Could be worth trying it out with only a USB keyboard (and Bluetooth trackpad) connected, I suppose. But usually the only USB devices I have connected are a keyboard, mouse wireless dongle and DAC. I tried 10.11.3 the other day too, and instead of a KP every time I woke it from sleep, it would just KP randomly every so often (but fairly frequently).

I'm pretty much at the end of my tether; at the stage where I'd like to get a nice 15" rMBP soon enough and stay on 10.11.1 until then. If finances delay that and I have the time, I might try a fresh install of El Capitan on the hackintosh.

Essentially it seems quite likely that 10.11.1 is the end of the road for this particular hackintosh endeavour. It's possible that all these issues could be fixed somehow but I do get rather fed up of constantly having issues that need diagnosing.

I replaced OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi and ALL my panic on wakes were gone, which are you using?

I'm using OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi. A magic fix... could it be? :o

I have a feeling there was some reason I didn't use Fix2 instead initially. Anyway, I can try switching to Fix2 and see if it breaks anything with my current setup. If it doesn't, I can then try the 10.11.3 update again. But that wasn't panicking on wake, that seemed to be more random. It did it once after waking (but it was some time after, not immediate like it was on 10.11.2) but another time it did it when I had fresh booted the machine and not put it into sleep at all.

e: I really should update my signature, although part of me likes seeing it for history's sake :D

e2: switched to AptioFix2Drv and then updated to 10.11.3. So far, no kernel panics and sleep worked fine when I tested it (normally I still leave the machine on 24/7). So it seems like the mythical 'easy fix' might exist in this case.

• 1 month later...

FYI - when I updated to 10.11.4 on this system I had to redo my audio kext that was in /Library/Extensions.  I'm using theracermaster's script (here: https://github.com/theracermaster/Gigabyte-GA-Z77X-DSDT-Patch)so I just re-ran the "--inject-hda" function.  This fixed my audio.

If I had to suspect, I think the symlink in the kext generated from the script got corrupted/broken.

• 5 months later...

I'm too scared to try it yet, I might wait until the 10.12.1 update.

Then again, this may be the end of the hackintosh road for me. I'm pondering a platform upgrade to Skylake and I don't know if I can be bothered with setting it all up again, diagnosing the issues, and having to think about component compatibility for macOS. Might be time to pick up a rMBP.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This is the F16 bios with the firewire driver added. It should work fine but proceed at your own risk etc. 

It is based on the GA-Z77X-UD5H - F16 -20.Aug 13 bios.

Firewire EFI driver was added using UEFITool v0.21.4, nothing else in bios has been changed.
Sandy Bridge GOP video driver was removed from bios to free up space so DO NOT use this if you have a Sandy Bridge processor. If you have an Ivy Bridge Processor then this is fine (example 3770k etc).

Other than that change it is the same as the F16 Bios obtained from the tweaktown post of previous beta bios list for the Z77XUD5H.

When you have a chance after testing it please let me know how it works for you  :)

I have attached the bios

Edit: I had originally posted a bios file with the Sandy Bridge GOP Driver removed. However in the interest of this being useful to more people and less chance of someone making a mistake I chose to change the attachment to the F16 Bios with just the firewire driver added. So this 'Z77XUD5H-Firewire.F16.zip' will work for anyone with ivy or sandy bridge. I have tested this new version myself and it seems to works fine.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead...but I was wondering if you would be able to mod a newer version of the BIOS based on the latest beta.  Gigabyte released about 6 months ago F16h, which fixes some sort of security vulnerability with the system.

EDIT: I'm using the new F16h (beta, but official) and everything is fine.  In fact, booting to Clover is faster now, for some reason.