Clover Themes

Slice
1,844 posts in this topic

OSS Theme updated.

OSS.zip

The goal of this theme is to mimic vanilla Boot Camp screen on real Mac, which looks like:

post-732552-0-93837800-1432165333_thumb.png

Here is my theme currently looks like:

post-732552-0-18975700-1432165302_thumb.png

Clearly there is lots of work needed to be done, e.g. font, arrow, selection box, etc. But it is really challenging to me. So I need you guys' help.

My question are:

How to generate png font file "mpr.png" from existing system font?

How to show arrow indicator on GUI Clover?

How can I use larger icon file? The current one I am using is 128x128. So can I switch to 256x256 to better support high resolution monitor?

• Like 3

@lisai9093, need to be honest with you, i love themes of this type.

Create more themes like that!  :D

We need a new mavsgreysmall theme, with new icons. E.g: Yosemite.

• Like 1

OSS.zip

Update:

- Selection box from real Boot Camp screen.

- Font adjustment

Comments:

I did some research on fonts used by Clover. It seems Clover only recognizes fonts with fixed width, which I believe old Chameleon can do much better job.

post-732552-0-12600600-1432215309_thumb.png

• Like 1

False

That's good to hear. But I can't find any exist font under Clover site that have varying width, nor any instruction how to create our own font.

It also seems Clover's source codes regarding to font are imported from GNU GRUB. So should I research on GNU site then?

That's good to hear. But I can't find any exist font under Clover site that have varying width, nor any instruction how to create our own font.

It also seems Clover's source codes regarding to font are imported from GNU GRUB. So should I research on GNU site then?

No, variable width is possible by freetype (The FreeType Project) but this is very huge work to implement.

Chameleon uses constant width as well. It's hard to imaging that Chameleon is able to get over the difficulty.

There is nothing from Grub.

About existing fonts I may say they are drawn by different artist. First russian font created by dmdimon. The most significant contribution was made by Blackosx.

The best software is Adobe Photoshop.

No, variable width is possible by freetype (The FreeType Project) but this is very huge work to implement.

Chameleon uses constant width as well. It's hard to imaging that Chameleon is able to get over the difficulty.

There is nothing from Grub.

About existing fonts I may say they are drawn by different artist. First russian font created by dmdimon. The most significant contribution was made by Blackosx.

The best software is Adobe Photoshop.

Thanks for your information. But clearly Chameleon does have variable character width support. For example here is the screenshot:

post-732552-0-21081500-1432238875_thumb.png

I also found the font working principle from voodooprojects.org site: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=388.0

post-732552-0-37023400-1432238947_thumb.png

Basically chameleon separate each character by a red dot, therefore it can have different width for each character. I wonder if Clover can do the same thing?

I know this is (sorta) off topic but how do I create a theme I googled but that seems to not be of much help.

Thanks for your information. But clearly Chameleon does have variable character width support. For example here is the screenshot:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-05-21 at 1.07.28 PM.png

I also found the font working principle from voodooprojects.org site: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=388.0

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-05-21 at 1.02.37 PM.png

Basically chameleon separate each character by a red dot, therefore it can have different width for each character. I wonder if Clover can do the same thing?

Wow! Sorry, I didn't know this. And how long this feature exists?

No Clover has no such possibility. Hope some day it will be.

• Like 1

Wow! Sorry, I didn't know this. And how long this feature exists?

The website is updated in 2012. So the variable width font feature existed at least 2 years.

Since chameleon is open source, maybe some programmers can import the feature into Clover someday?

• Like 1

Sorry Slice off topic  do you know  where is blacksosx??  :(

Still here just busy with life :)

I know this is (sorta) off topic but how do I create a theme I googled but that seems to not be of much help.

Best approach would be to take an existing theme you like and start replacing image files with your own. Image format is .png. Then move on to changing the theme.plist file to reposition elements. Be prepared that it will take some time to complete.

** Note: device icon image files can/will be named with file extension .icns even though they are actually .png files.

It would be a nice addition. Maybe for clover 3.0 ?

• Like 2

By the quote he means that since September '14 nothing happened publicly (wherever apianti might be now).

And "Rootless" shouldn't mean anything to us. FS is FS and you can always manipulate it, if not from the inside, then from the outside. Might harm kext injection though if they tighten up kernel security...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fonts for themes - Update.

Proportional spacing

Since r3216, you can use both monospaced and proportional fonts as clover supports proportional spacing for fonts. The feature works on a per theme basis and is enabled by editing a themes’ theme.plist and inserting a ‘Proportional’ key set to ‘true’ in the Font section.

Example:

<key>Font</key>
           <dict>
               <key>CharWidth</key>
              <integer>10</integer>
              <key>Path</key>
              <string>GoB_PTMono_10W_Bevel3.png</string>
              <key>Type</key>
              <string>Load</string>
              <key>Proportional</key>
              <true/>
          </dict>

Fonts

Font files can be created using a combination of a script and ImageMagick. Follow this link for more details.

• Like 4