Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@XSmile2008

1) wifi replacement - yes whitelist removal is the desired (usual) outcome of using a modded bios in this this situation

2) if you have 1600x900, you can try the attached dsdt that includes the EDID.  

rename it to dsdt.aml and replace the one in ESP.

dsdt.edid.aml.zip

Where I can see whitelist to our notebook model? In BIOS? I do not find it. For example on aliexpress in inforamation to Broadcom BCM94352 I see that this adapter is not supported by Lenovo/IBM notebooks.

Broadcom BCM94322HM8L = Dell 1510? Works OBB? Or ar9280 will be best solution?

Today I also tried plug VGA projector to notebook and it not works. It just not see projector. In home I tried connect VGA monitor and it same not work. How to enable VGA out?

And what about "PrtSc" and "Insert" and two buttons in "arrows zone"? They are not works, but I want bind this buttons in ControllerMate,

WiFI:

the modded bios that i have removes the whitelist so any card you put in to replace the intel wifi will not be rejected by the BIOS and allows you boot up.

then you need get a card works well with OSX. the BCM 4322 or Atheros 9280 both work well with OOB support.

i did have to some eeprom flashing in windows on one atheros card i got to get the proper Locale and Country Code. so be prepared to do some research.

VGA:

the system will not auto detect a VGA connection to the VGA port.  it will only find external monitor or projector if you start up with them plugged in or do a sleep/wake cycle.

to get a better solution for VGA, i bought a DisplayPort to VGA adaptor which does do auto-detect. 

• Like 1

VGA:

the system will not auto detect a VGA connection to the VGA port.  it will only find external monitor or projector if you start up with them plugged in or do a sleep/wake cycle.

to get a better solution for VGA, i bought a DisplayPort to VGA adaptor which does do auto-detect. 

You can detect VGA display using system preferences

• Like 2

Hi guys,

thanks a lot for this guide. I managed to get El Capitan running on my T420 although I didn't understand some steps. For example Use the folder with its config.plist with the custom dsdt.aml (as is) to start. - Which folder and to start what?

Anyway, OS X seems to be running pretty well.

I wonder how I could install a second OS (Ubuntu) and make it dual-boot. Any ideas?

Sorry if this is a noob question. Of course I have searched the Internet, but most guides on this seem to be outdated.

I wonder how I could install a second OS (Ubuntu) and make it dual-boot. Any ideas?

Create 'ubuntu' directory in EFI partition and copy your kernel there but with name bootx64.efi, for example:

my example with Gentoo (just rename gentoo -> ubuntu), ls -l /mnt/EFI/EFI/:

~$ mkdir /mnt/EFI/EFI/gentoo

~$ ls -l /mnt/EFI/EFI/

drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  512 Sep 21 05:40 APPLE
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  512 Sep 21 16:05 BOOT
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 1024 Sep 21 16:05 CLOVER
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  512 Oct 16 17:11 gentoo

copy ubuntu kernel and icon to ubuntu dir:

~$ cp /boot/your-kernel-vmlinuz /mnt/EFI/EFI/ubuntu/bootx64.efi

~$ cp /home/user/ubuntu.png /mnt/EFI/EFI/ubuntu/ubuntu.png

config.plist:

<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Custom</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>FullTitle</key>
					<string>Gentoo</string>
					<key>Hidden</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Ignore</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Image</key>
					<string>EFI\gentoo\gentoo.png</string>
					<key>Path</key>
					<string>EFI\gentoo\bootx64.efi</string>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>Linux</string>
					<key>VolumeType</key>
					<string>Internal</string>
				</dict>
			</array>
		</dict>

• Like 2

So I'm currently on Yosemite. I have the BCM94352HMB combo card installed. Unfortunately it doesn't work for the BT as neither of the MoBos in both of my T420's support the combo cards. Instead BT is provided by the GMYLE BT4LE micro USB dongle (BCM20702 - exactly the same as whats on my combo card lol).

I want to upgrade to El Capitan. Is there anything in particular I need to look out for or do prior to the upgrade to ensure nothing breaks?

Create 'ubuntu' directory in EFI partition and copy your kernel there but with name bootx64.efi

Thanks, but where should I put the rest of the Ubuntu installation? (Which partition should I choose in Ubuntu installer as "/"?)

What if I receive a kernel update? Does this require me to copy the kernel after each update?

@emil1532

dual boot under Clover is similar no matter what OS.

EFI partition is for boot mgrs/loaders and the directory tree will look like this in general

/EFI/BOOT <- renamed copy of CloverX64.efi

/EFI/CLOVER  <- boots OSX

/EFI/Microsoft  

/EFI/ubuntu

then on the rest of the disk you need to make partition(s) or space for each OS you plan to install.

if OS X is taking up the full space then shrink it to make space. then use the UEFI installation procedure to install Ubuntu. Grub2 may the way to go but its up to you.

@Tetonne - run the 10.11 installer from the USB on top of your system install, and it will update the Recovery HD.

@AetherTom - just make sure you have the latest Clover pack installed which supports El Capitan. since you replaced your BT - the BluetoothT420 kext will not need to be updated post install.

• Like 1

I just updated the zip with newer VoodooPS2Controller to 1.8.16. this might help occassional issues. 

@XSmile2008 - well. i have seen that every so often the TrackPad is not working. The only way i know is restart or better yet cold start.

@DrMechxico - did you set the BIOS for this: Set Security / Memory Protection / Execution Prevention = Enabled

@tluck

I followed your instructions. I have shrunk the OS X partition from OS X using Disk Utility. Then I started "Ubuntu 14.04, 64-bit" installer from USB drive and created a new partition /dev/sda4 where I installed Ubuntu. The installer also installed Grub on /dev/sda (the hard drive with OS X installation). However, after reboot, Clover boot menu appeared as before. I didn't know from which OS I was supposed to run the commands you listed. So I started Ubuntu live OS from USB drive and mounted /dev/sda4 as /mnt/ubuntu and /dev/sda1 as EFI. From /mnt/ubuntu/boot I copied a file (.bin extension) which contained "vmlinuz" in the name, to /mnt/EFI/EFI/ubuntu as bootx64.efi. Then I copied the icon and edited config.plist like you wrote (with filenames altered).

Now I have the Ubuntu entry in Clover after boot. But when I select it, it's doing nothing. Any ideas?

I made few changes regarding the keyboard. 

The browser forward/back(next to the arrow keys) is mapped to pageup/pagedown. Should be possible to map them to cmd+[ and cmd+] but I don't know how to do...

PrtSc is toggle touchpad by default, since I always use touchpad I assign it to F13 for future use.

Context Menu/Apps key is mapped to right option by default, but as I seldomly use right side modifiers, I change it to F16, then I assign F16 to launchpad.

Below is the VoodooPS2Keyboard Info.plist for reference.

<key>ThinkPad</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>ActionSwipeLeft</key>
                        <string>37 d, 21 d, 21 u, 37 u</string>
                        <key>ActionSwipeRight</key>
                        <string>37 d, 1e d, 1e u, 37 u</string>
                        <key>Custom ADB Map</key>
                        <array>
                            <string>e06a=74;back to pageup</string>
                            <string>e069=79;forward to pagedown</string>

</array>
                        <key>Custom PS2 Map</key>
                        <array>
                            <string>e037=64;PrtSc=F13, toggle touchpad by default</string>
                            <string>e05d=67;Apps=F16</string>
                        </array>

</dict>

Another thing worth noting is, starting from Clover r3296 the console output before the Clover GUI can be "officially" hidden now.

<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>NoEarlyProgress</key>
<true/>
</dict>
  • Like 1

Hey Guys,

My Hackintosh  T420 has been running very well until I have encounter issue after running Kext Utility, after it reboot, i lose the Audio and the USB WIFI not loading. Has anyone seen this type of problem?

Lenovo T420 (4236-MBU) -i5, 4GB, 320GB, 1600x900 | USB WIFI chipset RTL8191S | v10.11.1

Hi everyone :)

I've been happily running Yosemite on my T420 since like a year or so. The last system update that I've done was to 10.10.3, but since installation (around December 2014) I've never touched neither Clover nor any kexts etc.

Everything was up and running so I didn't want to mess it up  :rolleyes:

As of today, I need new XCode for new project at work, and therefore I need to update my system either to 10.10.5 or 10.11.1 (so I though I will also update all low-level stuff), and so there goes my questions:

• What is the correct updating procedure scenario?
  • Should I update first Clover and the whole EFI-partition pack or OS first?
  • Will the OS update overwrite my custom kexts?
  • After updating EFI-part pack, do I need to manually update those kexts on system partition (use your provided script or Kext Utility)?

I have 1:1 backup of my SSD so even when I mess something up, I will be able to get it back to working state.

(but I'd like to avoid this, as this is time-consuming).

Any advices will be greatly appreciated  ^_^

Best regards,

Burag.

@ulyjunk - just use the _kext-install.bash script to reinstall the kexts from the zip.

@Burag 

1) download the latest zip from the guide and reinstall the pieces. (follow the guide on post install)

2) then download El Capitan to your HD and install it!

the custom kexts from step 1 are in /Library/Extensions and will not be bothered.

• Like 1

Hi truck, 

thank you do a great job.

Now my t420 can work perfect on OS X EI . the only issue is the dock speaker seem not work at all.

there is only one device listed in the OutPut of Sound and  indicate the devices  driver not correct installed.

I already check below file. the Platforms.xml.lib is renamed from Platforms.xml.lib.dock 

path /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources

-rw-r--r--@   1 root  wheel   4782 Feb 20  2014 Platforms.xml.zlib

-rw-r--r--@   1 root  wheel   1237 Oct  6  2013 layout12.xml.zlib

and the path /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/Resources

-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel  4782 Nov  6 01:29 Platforms.xml.zlib

-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel  4782 Nov  6 01:27 Platforms.xml.zlib.dock

-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel  4714 Nov  6 01:27 Platforms.xml.zlib.nodock

-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel  1237 Nov  6 01:27 layout12.xml.zlib

I don't know anything else need to be checked more.

thank you .