Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,274 posts in this topic

Thanks for the advice tluck, I was so stupid to just automatically rename my OEM folder. I've got my T420 4236Z9U up and running now (i5-2520m, hd3000 gpu, wwan, 6gb, 120GB ssd (windows 8.1) and 120gb sata (osx).

By the way, when I reboot, my brightness resets to about 20%, but the maximum brightness doesn't cause any issues anymore (not going to max before sleep), so it's just the brightness resetting every time. Is there a fix I can try for this?

I'll try to get the t420s (4174PEG) to work as well.

@distortoinmusic - if you have not already done this - install the clover package with RC scripts which will save the current nvram values for next boot. i think this keep brightness level.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks to tluck and everybody involved for the great work, really easy install and works like a charm!

Two questions though:

- Is there any chance to get the card reader running (some kext...)?

- And will the express card slot work with any mac compatible card (usb 3, firewire, cardreader)?

Thanks

juniorprofi

Tried today with Page 25 Guild from Tluck.... Laptop is T520. BIOS version 1.39

System is OSX 10.9.2

boot stop at IOHIDSystem: postEvent LLEventQueue overflow.

I am using 1600x900 config.plist.

Any suggestion?

Tried today with Page 25 Guild from Tluck.... Laptop is T520. BIOS version 1.39

System is OSX 10.9.2

boot stop at IOHIDSystem: postEvent LLEventQueue overflow.

I am using 1600x900 config.plist.

Any suggestion?

Welcome

to my point of vue, you should give more information about your T520 (i5,i7...)

i found this for you :http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-laptop-support/82023-lenovo-thinkpad-t520-i7-2760qm-1920x1080-mountain-lion-10-8-a.html

in that proposition were is no kext dsdt only

my 2nd advice : wanting for MC tluck advice ;)

LOL.

I had to switch to nv4200m video card. At least the video {censored} issue was gone. The laptop won't sleep if I close the lid but menu works at this time. Not rush to get 10.9 going.

The information for T520.

i7 2860, 8G ram, 4239-CTO with 1980x1080 HD screen.

@all -

i just posted a new bundle in the Guide - just a tweak for dsdt-less installer - one of the patches (ADP1 Fix set to No now) was causing a corrupt DSDT.

by the way, i am having occasional ethernet unit hang issues with the most recent driver. i am trying some really old ones to see how they work. others have seen the same issue with the newer E1000e driver and OSX 10.9.x. will post my findings after some testing. mostly a problem when i sync (transfer) 50 GBs or more in a short period of time. 

@juniorprofi - 

glad it worked! 

1) never found a kext for the built-in SD card. I bought a cheap usb card reader.

2) i use a usb3 express card - works fine. can't speak to others but don't know why other would not work if there is an OSX driver.

@FireROR

the 1600x900 config has 2 things that might be messing your T520 up. 

1) DSDT for T420 - not sure what is different on the T520

2) EDID is set for 1600x900 in the 1600x900 config.

edit - do you have a firewire port? maybe that is causing the overflow? (i don't have that port)

there is a config.nodsdt.plist that can be used without DSDT - good way to patch up your built-in DSDT and then you can hand-modify and thing you want extra from the T420 DSDT.

@all

Using tluck's pack "19-Apr-2014", I successfully install 10.9.2 on my T420i ( Core i3 2310M | HD3000 only | 1st Disk 320GB MBR | 2nd Disk (Ultrabay) SSD 64GB GPT ).

Everything is working perfectly, except when I try to boot from my 2nd HDD (I've set boot options to UEFI only), it show blank screen after Apple logo's loading. But I know it reaches the desktop, since I could write "reboot" command from iTerm blindly. If I try to boot from Clover USB -> Internal UEFI -> Mac OS, the desktop is showed up. Any hints?

Thanks. 

@parcox

do you mean it won't boot all the way up from the using clover on SSD EFI partition? and if you boot from the USB it does boot from the SSD?

i don't have a disk bay so i don't know about boot from 2nd bay. you may want to try swapping disks to try booting from SSD in normal slot. i presume you cloned the 1st disk to 2nd disk with Carbon Copy Cloner or something like that? UEFI should not have anything to do with this issue. 

once it works with the SSD, be sure to enable TRIM with the clover kext patch for that function.

@parcox

If you did clone to SSD, bear in mind that cloning to SSD is not recommended. Clean install is the way to go.

@tluck

Is enabling TRIM with a kext patch still necessary? TRIM should work natively with 10.9.x At least, it should if the disk was detected correctly during install.

@parcox

do you mean it won't boot all the way up from the using clover on SSD EFI partition? and if you boot from the USB it does boot from the SSD?

i don't have a disk bay so i don't know about boot from 2nd bay. you may want to try swapping disks to try booting from SSD in normal slot. i presume you cloned the 1st disk to 2nd disk with Carbon Copy Cloner or something like that? UEFI should not have anything to do with this issue. 

once it works with the SSD, be sure to enable TRIM with the clover kext patch for that function.

no, I didn't clone anything. Here is my partition table:

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *64.0 GB    disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Mavericks               31.2 GB    disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Slackware               32.0 GB    disk0s4
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk1
   1:               Windows_NTFS SYSTEM_DRV              1.3 GB     disk1s1
   2:               Windows_NTFS Windows7_OS             93.6 GB    disk1s2
   3:               Windows_NTFS Lenovo_Recovery         10.5 GB    disk1s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS Home                    204.0 GB   disk1s5
   5:                 Linux_Swap                         10.7 GB    disk1s6

disk0 is my SSD in ultra bay. I already try to switch the disks like you said but the problem still persist. It show nothing after Apple logo loading, but the desktop is actually loaded. Strange because when I boot from Clover USB and select boot from internal EFI and select Mac OS it loads normally. 

@tluck

Once again sir, you are correct. OSX is capable of sending TRIM commands, but apple restricts the capability to only Apple SSD's in IOAHCIBlockStorage. Apparently, you can just replace "Apple SSD" with "INTEL SSD" or whatever the first 9 characters of your SSD's id and it works just fine.

Why Apple, why?

I'm really really struggling to get 10.9.2 on my T420 with 1600x900 resolution. The installer was downloaded from the app store.

How far I can progress seems to vary each time.

This is what I do:

Format 16gb USB with GUID and run command to make bootable USB. Works fine.

Run command to mount EFI to USB drive. Fine. I have re-named my 1600x900.config.plist to config.plist

Now booting up, I can get clover but have no trackpack/keyboard. I have to plug in a mouse and keyboard.

Most times, the install doesn't even install and seems to get stuck at AppleUSBDCWCM or NVDAStartup.

I have twice been able to get to the install. The first time it was asking for a bluetooth keyboard. The second I managed to get through to installing, it seemed to hang at the end with a "second remaining" for 10 mins. When it finally restarted I couldn't see the boot option in clover, just the install again.

Help anyone? Please

I have twice been able to get to the install. The first time it was asking for a bluetooth keyboard. The second I managed to get through to installing, it seemed to hang at the end with a "second remaining" for 10 mins. When it finally restarted I couldn't see the boot option in clover, just the install again.

Yes, that "second remaining" stage usually takes a long long time (I seem to recall over half an hour).

Many people have followed tluck's guide successfully (see sig). Just follow them closely and it should be pretty straightforward.

Hi all,

I got another problem. I noticed that my SSDT.aml isn't really loaded. I previously have fully working Lion, boot with chameleon, and use custom SSDT to limit my processor P-state, and it doesn't have any problem. Now I try to load it in Mavericks through Clover, it seems loaded but my CPU state still reaches the highest P-state. I also edit ssdt generated by ssdtPRGen-clover.command but still the same. Some information that maybe could be useful:

Clover boot log (check line 391-396)

Yes, that "second remaining" stage usually takes a long long time (I seem to recall over half an hour).

Many people have followed tluck's guide successfully (see sig). Just follow them closely and it should be pretty straightforward.

I have followed it closely and can't even get to the install any more using the same methods :/

The install SHOULD still be on the hard drive BUT clover isn't seeing it.

So now I'm just really stuck.

So I have got a bit further. I reinstalled Windows 8 to format the hard drive (as it worked straight away on a X220i) and run through the OS X install again. It installed, did its reboot but again when I get to Clover I can't see an option to boot the OS X partition I have just installed to?

Found my issue and you may not believe it. I realised after scratching my head for so long that Clover was having issues in 1600x900. However, if I put the Windows CD in and got to the startup screen which was in low res, forced a restart and went back to clover it would install.

I had to do that after every restart!

Anyway, got the OS installed and now working on all the little bits.

@granty - very weird?! but glad you are making progress. so i take it you do have 1600x900 LCD. if you did change the Clover screenresolution i would stay away from this. 

what is your bios version? 

since many T420 with 1600x900 have a bogus (malformed) EDID, i inject a different EDID via Clover and the DSDT. This fixes 2 things (1) random white screen at boot and (2) notorious HD 3000 glitches (aka artifacts).  some have mentioned removing the clover EDID injection to get things working.

---

@parcox 

try turning off generate P-states in the clover config.plist

<key>SSDT</key>
<dict>
     <key>Generate</key>
     <dict>
          <key>CStates</key>
          <true/>
          <key>PStates</key>
          <false/>
     </dict>