Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,274 posts in this topic

@wetzel - yes my LCD does dim (16 levels. 0 = black). the brightness levels have been fine with me. seems to get pretty dim before going black.

what screen size type do you have? are you using the DSDT i posted? 

3 things you to look at:

1. are you using the kext patch for SNBFramebuffer to change the max brightness (so it matches the before and after sleep levels)?
  2. i use a displayoveride with a different gamma and calibration than default. i put this file in the zip - it matches my 1600x900 model (override) that is injected by the Clover and DSDT.
  3. you could try using RehabMan's ACPI brightness kext - https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-acpi-backlight/downloads - seems to have some subtle difference effects on low end - but its not much IMO. well actually I am not sure it changed anything - as AppleBacklight already was managing my panel.
  • Like 1

@tluck, I have the 1366x768 14" screen, I am using the DSDT you posted for it, I do have 16 levels of brightness, it just seems that the lower levels are not as low as they could be. Is it possible to tweak brightness levels in the DSDT? I don't know much about DSDT patching.

I did try RehabMan's kext but I'm not sure it's working while the DSDT patch is live? It seems to be working exactly like it did before I installed the kext.

I'm not sure if messing with it is worth it :P

@tluck, I have the 1366x768 14" screen, I am using the DSDT you posted for it, I do have 16 levels of brightness, it just seems that the lower levels are not as low as they could be. Is it possible to tweak brightness levels in the DSDT? I don't know much about DSDT patching.

I did try RehabMan's kext but I'm not sure it's working while the DSDT patch is live? It seems to be working exactly like it did before I installed the kext.

I'm not sure if messing with it is worth it :P

If AppleBacklight works, you should be able to use my DSDT patches + ACPIBacklight.kext.

See: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch, then Apply DSDT/SSDT patches for brightness depending on hardware (eg. "Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)" or "Brightness Fix (Haswell)")

• Like 3

If AppleBacklight works, you should be able to use my DSDT patches + ACPIBacklight.kext.

See: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch, then Apply DSDT/SSDT patches for brightness depending on hardware (eg. "Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)" or "Brightness Fix (Haswell)")

Awesome RehabMan, thanks! I will play around with this when I have time (probably tomorrow evening) and post my results.

@RehabMan - ok. very cool. i already had the "backlight" in the PNLF and didn't see any change after installing the ACPIBacklight.kext.  

SO now I applied your graphics_PNLF_ivy_sandy.txt patch to the DSDT . well now I see that the changes are very apparent - gets much dimmer and each change is a lot more gradual. very slick!!!  

I will incorporate this addition in the next T420 Guide and zip.

And Thank You.

• Like 3

Updated the Clover UEFI on T420 Guide (and zip) today. I liked the new backlight stuff so much, I added it to the mix.

22-May-2014 - 10.9.3 update - changes since 10.9.2

• Clover updated to v2671
  • Kexts updated to OSX 10.9.3
  • FakeSMC.kext updated to v6.8.1307
  • Recompiled/fixed up VoodooPS2Controller 1.8.11 for double click issue on TrackPoint buttons
  • Revised (again) top-level config.plist for "DSDT-less" OS install, Clover patches built-in on-the-fly

New today

• Fixed up ssdtPRgen-clover.command script to copy ssdt.aml into proper ESP OEM location when mounted.
  • Added RehabMan's ACPIBacklight.kext v2.0.2 for smoother dimming. (patched DSDT included)
  • Like 2

22-May-2014 - 10.9.3 update - changes since 10.9.2

• Clover updated to v2671
  • Kexts updated to OSX 10.9.3
  • FakeSMC.kext updated to v6.8.1307
  • Recompiled/fixed up VoodooPS2Controller 1.8.11 for double click issue on TrackPoint buttons
  • Revised (again) top-level config.plist for "DSDT-less" OS install, Clover patches built-in on-the-fly
  • Fixed up ssdtPRgen-clover.command script to copy ssdt.aml into proper ESP OEM location when mounted.
  • Added RehabMan's ACPIBacklight.kext v2.0.2 for smoother dimming. (patched DSDT included)

T420 users:

Attached is a current full /EFI pack for the T420 for Clover and OSX 10.8.5 (12F45) and 10.9.3 (13D65).

Caveats:

My system is a T420 1600x900 LCD with dedicated Intel HD 3000 Graphics Only ... So can't speak to enabling Nvidia gfx myself.  This is a zip contains what is working for me. The guide outlines the 2 phases: (1) how create a USB installer and install OSX, and (2) run OSX for your HD. If your HW is not similar as mine, the included DSDT and configuration files may need to be retrofitted to work for your system. 

Highlights:

• A config.plist + kexts for Clover to boot without a custom DSDT file for the OS install 
  • Separate OEM config.plist with a custom DSDT for Clover to boot via UEFI, post OS install
    • OEM ProductID.1600x900 folder - has dsdt.aml for high-res LCD with DualLink=1 and injects a good/patched EDID
    • OEM ProductID.1366x768 folder - has dsdt.aml for low-res  LCD with DualLink=0 and no injected EDID
    • Note: the CPU section is not needed in the config.plist anymore, as Clover computes Bus Speed ok in later revs - check it though! should be around 99676 - 99700 to keep system clock accurate.
    • A current Clover and Kext Bundle for 10.8.5+10.9.3 is here in this post
  • An older non-maintained Kext Bundle for 10.8.4 is in post #241

ACPI Notes:

• the new DSDT conforms (more) to the native unmodified kexts ACPI spec... may not have to replace the AppleACPIPlatform.kext.
  • AppleACPIPlatform.kext v2.0 (10.9.x) works with new DSDT
  • AppleACPIPlatform.kext v1.8 (10.8.5) works with new DSDT
  • AppleACPIPlatform.kext v1.7 (10.8.4) works but does not wake as well when you have external eSATA/USB drives.  
  • Notes:  there are kext folders for 10.8 and 10.9 - but many of the kexts are the same.

BIOS

- the DSDT is based on BIOS v1.46 (whitelist mod or stock)

- Most defaults settings will work - but make sure SATA is set to AHCI mode and disable VT-d in the Virtualization option.

- disable Nvidia

Custom Kexts

• FakeSMC.kext (v6.x.xxxx) - Core hack mechanism. Using Kozlek's version + plugins - Note: Follow link to download full package - so you can install HWMonitor.app etc (no need to re-install FakeSMC.kext unless there is a newer rev - so if you do install - just select these 2 Plugins Sensors: ACPI and CPU)
  • AppleIntelE1000e.kext (v3.0.4.1) - Ethernet (gigE) - goes in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext (v1.8.11) - RehabMans's PS2 Keyboad/Trackpad -   Note: Follow link to get full package and installation instructions to install daemon and pref-panel 
  • ACPIBatteryManager.kext (v1.52) - RehabMan's kext configured for v3 ACPI instructions to show/track battery info on menu bar
  • ACPIBacklight.kext (v2.0.2) - RehabMan's kext for smoother/enhanced LCD backlight (dimming) control.
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext -  configured to make just the DVD device appear internal so iDVD player works. 

These kexts are 10.8.5 specific:

• AppleHDA.kext (v2.4.7 patched from 10.8.5)- for full audio support - note: requires matching DSDT sections using Conexant Codec and layoutID 12. Note: AppleHDA.kext has Manwe150's fix/additions for dock ports.
  • BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext (v4.1.7 with patched Info.plist from 10.8.5) - adds ProductID 8575 to make BT work! Put/replace one in /S/L/E/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

10.9  - use kext inject or install in /S/L/E (/System/Library/Extensions).

These 5 kexts are the same as in the 10.8 folder

• FakeSMC.kext
  • AppleIntelE1000e.kext
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext
  • ACPIBatteryManager.kext
  • ACPIBacklight.kext
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext 

These kexts are 10.9 specific:

• AppleHDA.kext (v2.6.1 patched from 10.9.3) - for full audio support (analog and DisplayPort/HDMI) Note: requires matching DSDT HDEF device sections using layoutID 12. (kext is patched for CX20590 codec)
  • BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext (v4.2.4 with patched Info.plist from 10.9.3) - adds ProductID 8575  in Info.plist to make BT work better! Put/replace one in /S/L/E/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

​10.*-Chameleon - extra patched kexts for use with Chameleon 

• AppleIntelCPUPM.kext (patched 10.8.5 and 10.9.3) - not really necessary to install/replace with clover since it does the patching. Optional Install in /S/L/E for Chameleon compatibility.

General Fixes and Features of Zip

• 3 config.plists in OEM folder

1 ) config.plist - (default) to use the custom DSDT and WITH extra Clover patching

2 ) config.nopatch.plist - (old way) uses custom DSDT but no Clover patching

3 ) config.nodsdt.plist - testing - remove DSDT.aml and use built-in DSDT with Clover patching (Note: battery will not work)

• Model is to set MacBookPro8,1 explicitly in config.plist. (needed to get DP/HDMI/DVI/VGA FrameBuffers)
  • Zip includes extra and custom kexts plus cVad's Kext Utility to v2.5.7 for easy kext installation (or you can use manual kext  _install_SLE.bash script)

Note: VoodooPS2Controller keyboard mappings have 3 or 4 finger swipe left/right to back/forward for browsers configured.

• removed ssdt.aml files from zip and added ssdtPRgen-clover.command script so you can create your own SSDT P/C state tables
  • High-res vs low-res config.plist (and DSDT) are very consistent - difference is EDID and DualLink settings.
  • Note: for 1600x900 the EDID is injected by Clover and is also in the 1600x900 version of the DSDT for - there are 2 sets of timings for 60 and 50 Hz options
  • Added folder for Displays/Overrides (for more natural color gamma curves and more screen size options) in this zip
  • Swapped out VBoxHFS-64.efi for HFSPlus-64.efi - supports installation bundles and Recovery HD better.
  • Clover patches string for SNBFrameBuffer kext to fix brightness LCD before sleep - now its the same brightness before and after. Thanks to Timewalker75a (again!)

Note: this same kext patch replaces the 4th port/buffer (DVI on dock) with VGA on left side. The 4 ports after patch are: LCD, DisplayPort on side, DisplayPort on dock, VGA on side. If you need DVI on the dock - then you can either not do this! Or replace the 3rd port (DP) if you want the VGA.

• Thinkpad theme (updated) to show badge (disk type) and added a Mavericks 10.9 Icon instead of using generic apple.
  • ScrLk and Pause keys change LCD brightness. ThinkPad button toggles fan to high speed.
  • Alt key is the Command key and Microsoft flag key is the Option key.

DSDT tweaks since 10.8.x version:

• DSDT includes source and binary with recent patches (beyond Clover and manwe150's edits)
  • Added MaxBeepBootVolume to DSDT to rid AppleHDA assertion on startup

• Shutdown fixes in DSDT  _PTS and _WAK (thanks to TimeWalker75, RehabMan and Manwe150)

• Battery fixes so one use native/current ACPIPlatform kext with Rehabman's ACPIBatteryManager kext - no need to rollback or patch AppleACPIPlatform.kext anymore.

• Change/fix to reset LEDs for proper sleep/wake status

The DSDT (in OEM folder) has some mods in the IGPU are that remove glitches/hangs on either Clover (or Chameleon.)

Basic instructions and notes:

Install (or reinstall/update) OSX to a GUID/GPT formated disk from a USB using the standard Install OSX .app

You can use this zip to build a Clover-based USB installer and then install on HD for UEFI boot.

• for 10.8.5 install USB
    1. Download Mountain Lion from the App Store - puts in /Applications
    2. Partition an 8GB USB as GUID (use option menu to change from MBR) - name this partition USB

Note: if you have a larger USB (say 16GB) you can split into 2 8GB partitions, so you can have 10.8.x and 10.9.x installers on the same USB key

3. Use Disk Maker to create an Installer from the downloaded Install Mountain Lion OSX.app

Note: you may need to disable BlueTooth in the BIOS to install 10.8.5 directly. Enable later when you boot up.

• for 10.9 install USB
    1. Download Mavericks from the App Store - puts in /Applications
    2. Partition an 8GB USB as GUID (use option menu to change from MBR) - name this partition USB

Note: if you format the USB as MBR, then you will need to install the Clover boot tools (after) - see note at the bottom.

3. Run this command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app —nointeraction

• Common steps:
  1. manually mount ESP of USB and copy the entire EFI folder (from the zip) onto USB ESP (assuming the USB is disk2)

For example:

mkdir /Volumes/ESP-USB

mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/ESP-USB

cp -rp ~/Downloads/T420/EFI /Volumes/ESP-USB

Note: if your USB is MBR format - just copy the EFI structure to the / (root) of the main partition instead!

2. Don't rename OEM folder yet!!!  For USB installers, use the top level config.plist so it will inject kexts.
  3. Rename config.1600x900.plist to config.plist or rename config.1366x768.plist to config.plist - depending on which matches your system.
  4. Boot from USB and select Install OSX
  5. Install on your GUID OSX partition!

TIP: enable debug mode for Disk Utility to see all the partitions (such as hidden EFI):

from the Terminal command line, run this:

$ sudo defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

Post OS Install on HD

1. Boot from USB - but now select the new OSX partition. this will boot up OS X with clover - this will use the kexts and "top" level config.plist.
  2. Install standard Clover (Clover_v2k_rxxxx.pkg into ESP (partition 1) of HD - use link to download from source forge. and select (check box) at least first 2 items! here is a good set of options:

attachicon.gifclover-pkg-install.png

3. If not still automatically mounted from installer pkg, manually mount ESP of HD on /Volumes/ESP and replace folders /Volume/ESP/EFI/CLOVER and BOOT with contents in the zip.
  4. rename config.1600x900.plist to config.plist or rename config.1366x768.plist to config.plist - depending on which matches your system.
  5. Install (copy) the DisplayVendorID-* folders from this zip file from to /System/Library/Display/Overrides
  6. Set up OEM folder: Here is the tricky part - fix OEM folder name to match your system model (found on the bottom label or clover will list it.)

Note: The OEM config.plist has kext patching options etc vs top-level config.plist

• If you have 1600x900 LCD, rename the OEM/<ProductID.1600x900> folder to match your product name.
    • If you have 1366x768 LCD, rename the OEM/<ProductID.1366x768> folder to match your product name.
    • You can delete the folder that does not match your LCD size.

Note: the OEM config.plist is slightly different than top-level config.plist. Most notable diffs are: (1) no kext injection from ESP and (2) kext patch of SNBGraphics buffers -  this same patch fixes brightness and replaces the 4th port/buffer (DVI on dock) with VGA on left side. The 4 ports after patch are: LCD, DisplayPort on side, DisplayPort on dock, VGA on side. If you need DVI on the dock - then you can either not do this patch! Or patch replace the 3rd port (DP) with VGA. 

1. Install custom kexts
    • if you use OEM folder and config.plist as is, install custom kexts from zip to /System/Library/Extension. Install from zip folder EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.[8 or 9] using shell script _kext-install-SLE.bash. Or I recommend this tool from cvad - which works well with 10.9 and the signature checking Kext Utility (included in Utilities folder). 
    • OR
    • If you choose to NOT install the custom kexts on the OS /S/L/E folder, then modify the OEM config.plist to inject custom kexts and copy the kext folders into OEM section too. Injecting AppleHDA and BroadcomBluetooth kexts from ESP may conflict unless the originals are removed from /S/L/E. 
  2. Reboot - hit spacebar on your boot selection to restart without kext caches to make sure it loads custom kexts just installed.
  3. Create custom SSDT for proper P/C states to match system (optional - but this tool may do a better job than Clover) 

Run ssdtPRgen-clover.sh script (modifed to work with clover!) in Utilities folder

It should ask you if you want copy ssdt.aml to your OEM folder, otherwise rename ~/Desktop/ssdt_pr.aml to ssdt.aml and copy/move ssdt.aml to same location as your dsdt.aml i.e /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/OEM/<product>/ACPI/patched

Note: this tool requires internet for first run to download iasl. 

4. Optional for fresh OS - resets network device order to have ethernet as en0 (may help with iMessage etc) run this set of commands:

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelE1000e.kext
    sleep 10
    rm       /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
  5. Reboot to use new SSDT table (and new network device order if doing step 4.)

Known Issues:

• E1000e ethernet hang: with the 2.5.4d and 3.0.4.x version of the Intel E1000e ethernet kext, I have seen some random problems. I rolled back to v2.4.14 and have not had issues lately. The issue crop up under heavy file copy/transfers and your ethernet stops working with a lot of log messages that only a reboot fixes. 

Note: the 4 problems listed below happened with earlier versions of Clover, but on 10.9.2 and with the rewrite of Clover and OsxAptopFixdrv-64.efi, these UEFI/ESP issues are seem to be a thing of the past.

1. putting to sleep can result in flashing/hung state

2. built-in keyboard mute button can totally freeze system - works fine from software (i.e. apple bluetooth KB)

3. shutdown may not go all the way to full power off (OS shuts down but at black screen with fans/lights on)

4. built-in PS2 keyboard/trackpad may disappear after sleep/wake 

Optional: Boot with Clover on MBR USB

One can still boot from the HD using UEFI. But one can also create a bootable MBR formatted USB with CloverEFI. This boot method may mitigate or eliminate any random UEFI issues. The exact same EFI folder can be used. To make a bootable MBR USB:

1. Format the stick as MBR (which is usually the default) with a single FAT32 partition named USB.
  2. Optionally copy the OSX installer to USB (same command for GUID USB above) but must be done before steps below!
  3. Then with Clover_v2k_rxxxx.pkg, install to the USB for "legacy CloverEFI" boot.  That is: Uncheck the top 2 items, and in Bootloader check the 2nd option to install boot0af.
  4. After the Clover pkg installer is finished and closed, then replace the EFI/CLOVER folder just like you did on the HD. the EFI/BOOT folder is not needed. Note: the HD ESP EFI folder and USB EFI folder should be exactly the same now.
  5. Then from the BIOS, set USB-HDD as top boot option (so you don't have manually boot from USB vs the HD)

I cannot understand how to match system model to rename ProductID.1600x900. Can you please help? maybe example.

I cannot understand how to match system model to rename ProductID.1600x900. Can you please help? maybe example.

Change the name of the folder to the product ID printed on the barcode on the bottom of your thinkpad. Mine is 4177R35 so the folder is called exactly that.

Hi everyone. I'm really grateful for everyone's hard work in getting OS X working on my laptop. It runs absolutely perfectly. However, I would like to dual boot with Windows 7. I'm currently using UEFI/tluck's setup. Is there an easy way to go about this?

I think I got it.

Hi everyone. I'm really grateful for everyone's hard work in getting OS X working on my laptop. It runs absolutely perfectly. However, I would like to dual boot with Windows 7. I'm currently using UEFI/tluck's setup. Is there an easy way to go about this?

Honeywell, it's very easy with Clover. Probably the best way is to have a second HDD, but it may be that you only have one drive and thus would need to partition it.

First, resize your mac partition with disk utility. You will probably need about 100GB minimum, but I guess 50 would be "enough". Second, create a partition type FAT, doesn't matter what you name it, the windows setup will format it NTFS for you and you can rename it then. Third, boot from a Windows 7 install DVD IN UEFI mode (just make sure you are set to UEFI only in the BIOS and it should boot). If you cannot make a DVD you will have to produce a UEFI bootable USB drive with the Windows installer on it, which can only be done from a running UEFI Windows environment. Fourth, you MAY be able to run the installer and select your FAT partition in the installer choices and choose to delete/recreate it as NTFS and just let the installer go. Otherwise, you will have to use the recovery tools on the installer DVD and use diskpart.

This technet article describes what is needed for Windows to boot UEFI: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824839.aspx

This technet article has a script with all the required diskpart commands: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825686.aspx

Keep in mind that the MSR is OPTIONAL (recommended by Microsoft), and, this is important: The "System" partition will be your ALREADY EXISTING ESP.

Install Windows, however it goes, and try to boot, if Clover comes up and shows Windows as an option then you are all set, but you will likely have to manually create the UEFI bootloader for windows. Boot back to the install DVD and in the command prompt, use diskpart to assign your ESP a drive letter (I chose s in my example), and then use the command bcdboot c:\windows /s s: /f UEFI

I know that's a whole bunch so if you can't figure out any step let me know, I'll try to help.

@all

To simplify making uefi bootable dvd's, use Rufus. http://rufus.akeo.ie/ The windows 7 dvd is not natively uefi bootable (rather, most images of it are not). Rufus can take any windows 7 install iso and turn it into a uefi bootable usb or dvd. It does much more, but this functionality is all you need for this example. The rest of the process is still the same, but I remember a time when I spent many hours trying to uefi boot my windows 7 disk.

also your 420's run 8.1 blazingly, please consider the upgrade. Everyone whines about 8, but 8.1.1 has reintroduced most of the features that will satisfy windows 7 users. you even get title bars on your full screen tile apps now. You can kill them without having to resort to task manager.

• Like 1

Well, {censored}. I just booted into a USB made with Rufus and started the process. I formatted the FAT partition I made for Windows, but the installer won't let me install. This is the error:

"Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only installed on GPT disks.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

How do I get past this?

honeywell - well I recommend you use GPT/GUID format for both OSX and Windows. so reformat your HD as GPT/GUID and life is very good. i have been booting UEFI for several months without a single issue!

this is great layout for dual boot ...

format HD as GPT

make 2 HFS partitions - call then OSX and NTFS (2nd of which can be reformatted to NTFS later on)

install OSX (which make the the recovery partition as well)

install windows using UEFI type installer

your ESP will have Clover and MS boot side by side. 

/dev/disk0

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *750.2 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS OSX+                    697.7 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

4:       Microsoft Basic Data C                       51.5 GB    disk0s4

@honeywell

I was assuming that you would be using GPT. To support tluck, there's no real good reason to use MBR. Windows 7 will boot on a GPT disk provided you use a bootloader like Clover or swap in the Windows 8 loader. In your particular situation, you should install Mac first to ensure that your disk is already formatted. Windows 7 will try to format the disk to MBR by default if no operating system is detected. If the disk is already partitioned when Windows 7 setup runs, it will try to use it as is. If you absolutely can't do it this way, you can try to install windows 7 first, but the process is much more involved. You would have to install W7 and then convert your disk to GPT (which is possible, I did this before using a script I found, I'll find it if you're interested.), then install W8 loader or Clover, then install mac.

Or option D give up on W7 and install it in a vm.

PS when you use rufus, make sure you select gpt partition scheme for uefi systems that way you can make sure that the system boots in uefi mode and not legacy. W7 setup will detect this. You didn't post any details of your setup when you got the error, so I'm trying to cover all the bases.

Well, {censored}. I just booted into a USB made with Rufus and started the process. I formatted the FAT partition I made for Windows, but the installer won't let me install. This is the error:

"Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only installed on GPT disks.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

How do I get past this?

It's possible to non-destructively convert your MBR partition table into GPT with some tools, either gdisk in Linux or this Windows based tool I found, see this post!

@all

To simplify making uefi bootable dvd's, use Rufus. http://rufus.akeo.ie/ The windows 7 dvd is not natively uefi bootable (rather, most images of it are not). Rufus can take any windows 7 install iso and turn it into a uefi bootable usb or dvd. It does much more, but this functionality is all you need for this example. The rest of the process is still the same, but I remember a time when I spent many hours trying to uefi boot my windows 7 disk.

also your 420's run 8.1 blazingly, please consider the upgrade. Everyone whines about 8, but 8.1.1 has reintroduced most of the features that will satisfy windows 7 users. you even get title bars on your full screen tile apps now. You can kill them without having to resort to task manager.

I highly agree, 8.1.1 is blazing. I triple boot Arch Linux, Mac OS X, and 8.1.1... I need Mac OS X for work (I administer a number of Apple machines), I use Arch for my personal stuff, and Windows is for games and C# and visual basic coding (I know, I have to, ok?)

yeah i heard things are getting almost usable in windows 8.1.1 ... but i have not upgraded to win 8 as i don't have or want to pay for the license. i did play around with the 8.1 preview a while back. still way too bipolar (windows or tablet mode not both) for my taste. anyway, yeah more and more I hardly use windows. i have a couple of apps (love Sony Vegas, turbotax) but i run these from a VM in Fusion. hardly ever use the native C drive.

@tluck and all

Millions thanks :) for your guide and the attached package. It made me be able to install Mavericks on T420 (4236NQ1) without any hassles. So far my T420 runs perfectly well. I'd like to second that your package also works very well for X220.

One problem I am having now is battery not showing percentage. Does anybody have the same problem?

many thanks again ! :thumbsup_anim:

@zkeptic3 - glad it worked for you.

battery percentage

does it show a small plug (looks like wrench) or X on the battery icon in the menu bar? 

if X icon...

are you using the custom DSDT in the OEM folder?

are you using the ACPIBatteryManger.kext (i.e. installed in /S/L/E?

if plug icon ...

did you toggle on show percentage in the battery menu?

after a HD issue, i restore on a new HD with Carbon Copy Cloner.

but i cannot boot on it :(

here are some information

diskutil list

/dev/disk0

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0

1:                  Apple_HFS EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS Power                   499.1 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             784.2 MB   disk0s3                my new 10.9 (system ok) Clover install on the EFI partition as usual
this disk is on a 2nd Caddy (great :)

/dev/disk1

0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *160.0 GB   disk1

1:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            160.0 GB   disk1s1               a bootable 10.8 MBR boot on this HD is ok

For unknown reason the disk0s1 is visible

my boot : seems to boot on EFI (theme is the proof) and Power is the default so boot ok

but if i eject disk1s1  and try to boot again: t420 ask on which partition (blue DOS like GUI) on normal HD place or in the 2nd HD caddy

:(

I use tluck pack (low res) i just change the name on my HD OSX+ to Power
Clover was install again

nothing works :( I have to use disk1s1 in to boot

after everything is ok so disk0s2 is fully working

hope i was clear lol

thanks for helping me

@tetonne

your (new GUID) disk0 is not formatted right. do NOT manually create a filesystem on your new GUID ESP partition - apple Diskutil does it for you. your "EFI" partition is not EFI type. it is formatted Apple_HFS and is not readable to boot by the BIOS.  the BIOS can only ready a fat32 partition to get started - meaning loads Cloverx86.efi which then loads more drivers. so reformat GUID and reinstall OSX. and then mount the ESP and copy the Clover stuff to it.

Your Disk:

/dev/disk0

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0

1:                  Apple_HFS EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS Power                   499.1 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             784.2 MB   disk0s3                my new 10.9 (system ok) Clover install on the EFI

my disk:

$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *750.2 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS OSX+                    697.7 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

4:       Microsoft Basic Data C                       51.5 GB    disk0s4

$ sudo gpt -r show disk0

start        size  index  contents

0           1         PMBR

1           1         Pri GPT header

2          32         Pri GPT table

34           6         

40      409600      1  GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B

409640  1362786480      2  GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

1363196120     1269544      3  GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

1364465664   100681728      4  GPT part - EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7

1465147392        1743         

1465149135          32         Sec GPT table

1465149167           1         Sec GPT header

• Like 1