Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,274 posts in this topic

Was also looking at why I haven't got gestures.

It would seem that the driver hasn't installed correctly or isn't being picked up? I see on trackpad on most macs it has tabs but mine is basic. It only allows me to swipe up and down with two fingers.

I installed better touch control but that says "no multi gesture pad installed"

@granty 

• upgrade - ha! it's almost too easy right? that's all i did to get to 10.9.3 - download, update upon reboot and then replaced the kexts.
  • multi-gestures
    well the synaptics can't do all the same gesture things as macbook touchpad.  here is what i know...the 2 main things i like/use are:

2 finger scrolling up/down

3 finger left/right swipe - i changed the swipe left/right key strings to map to back/forward when in safari. (this may take a little practice to get it)

i thought it was in the pacan install the voodooSynapticsPref pane (into System Preferences) to set and modify a few of the various settings. 

i am updating the bundle with voodoops2controller v1.8.13 that has some info.plist changes customized (easy) for the Lenovo T420. - requires some properties in the DSDT (PS2K mods added in the 06-06 bundle)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New Bundle Posted to the Clover UEFI on T420 Guide - minor updates and tweaks. 

06-June-2014 - changes since 22-May

• Clover updated to v2689 - minor changes in config.plist to boot installation or recovery with OEM config
  • FakeSMC.kext updated to v6.8.1315
  • VoodooPS2Controller updated to v1.8.13 - Compiled and modified Info.plist(s) to add LENOVO T420 keys. removed HP and fews other non-relevant options
  • DSDT mods to KBD device - renamed to PS2K and added OEM-ids for VoodooPS2Controller to pick up.
  • Like 2

I recently upgraded to 10.9.3. But it has been torture. 

I applied the last zip on my EFI partition. I have had several problems. 

I have no sound and no facetime, imensage ... 

They can help me solve it? 

Sorry for my English. 

attached my config. 

Greetings from Spain

EFI.zip

@granty 

• upgrade - ha! it's almost too easy right? that's all i did to get to 10.9.3 - download, update upon reboot and then replaced the kexts.
  • multi-gestures

well the synaptics can't do all the same gesture things as macbook touchpad.  here is what i know...the 2 main things i like/use are:

2 finger scrolling up/down

3 finger left/right swipe - i changed the swipe left/right key strings to map to back/forward when in safari. (this may take a little practice to get it)

i thought it was in the pacan install the voodooSynapticsPref pane (into System Preferences) to set and modify a few of the various settings. 

i am updating the bundle with voodoops2controller v1.8.13 that has some info.plist changes customized (easy) for the Lenovo T420. - requires some properties in the DSDT (PS2K mods added in the 06-06 bundle)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New Bundle Posted to the Clover UEFI on T420 Guide - minor updates and tweaks. 

06-June-2014 - changes since 22-May

• Clover updated to v2689 - minor changes in config.plist to boot installation or recovery with OEM config
  • VoodooPS2Controller updated to v1.8.13 - Compiled and modified Info.plist(s) to add LENOVO T420 keys. removed HP and fews other non-relevant options
  • DSDT mods to KBD device - renamed to PS2K and added OEM-ids for VoodooPS2Controller to pick up.

I just fix my efi partition thanks to tluck.

I tested last 06062014 pack everything is ok even if i thinks trackpad is less fluid (reactive) than it used to be in the previous pack.

Thnaks a gain for all the pack, time you (tluck) offer to us :)

I recently upgraded to 10.9.3. But it has been torture. 
I applied the last zip on my EFI partition. I have had several problems. 
I have no sound and no facetime, imensage ... 
They can help me solve it? 
Sorry for my English. 
attached my config. 

Greetings from Spain

to have sound, kextutiliy again

then reboot press space on the boot volume, boot without cache.

for FaceTime, be sure than you have a recovery partition (see 2 post before)

ethernet must be at the 1st place in network

@tetonne - glad your efi boot from GPT is working now.

i did increase the "fingerZ" value which is about pressure on the trackpad from 30 to 47. ( i must have a heavy touch!) i will look for other differences in the Info.plist settings. but that may be why its less reactive. 

@angelogtc - download the latest zip and start by using the full clover zip and use the OEM config.plist i posted as is. make sure you follow the instruction to replace/install the kext on the HD. your config is not too far different - looks like  an older one with out all the dsdt fixing ( i diff-ed it with mine) 

folks:

i was thinking to remove the whole OEM folder thing altogether. It might make it more simple to manage. just 1 config file. anyone have thoughts one way or another?

• Like 1

@zkeptic3 - glad it worked for you.

battery percentage

does it show a small plug (looks like wrench) or X on the battery icon in the menu bar? 

if X icon...

are you using the custom DSDT in the OEM folder?

are you using the ACPIBatteryManger.kext (i.e. installed in /S/L/E?

if plug icon ...

did you toggle on show percentage in the battery menu?

Hi tluck-  Would you please explain to dumb knuckles here how to install the custom DSDT in the OEM folder? I'm also using an X220 with amazing success, yet this is the only piece of the puzzle that I can't get to work and I've literally spent hours trying to figure out how to do this. I have an X in the battery bar icon. I did install ACPIBatteryManager.kext and it didn't fix the problem.

Thanks much for your assistance.

PS- I vote to abandon the OEM folder. Anything to make the process easier!

tluck- Success! This installation works 100% for the X220 Thinkpad including the battery manager.  Compared to yesterday's repeated attempts which pretty much ate up most of my Saturday, today's new method had me up and running on the first build in under an hour! I am now wondering if my original installation attempts were somehow getting corrupted because when I started, the OS kept reporting that I was installing 10.9.3 via battery power which I knew I was not. This new installation method however supports battery management (and recognition) from the beginning of the installation.

A couple of brief installation notes for what it is worth:

1) I did not have to install the E1000 ethernet kext separately with either the original installation or this new one. Networking worked fine immediately following the kext installations.

2) There is something not working (at least for me) regarding the SSDT generation script. It goes out to download the iasl tool from the 'net but so far all attempts have failed. Not sure if the path is broken..?  Fortunately, I had already manually created my own ssdt.aml file several days ago while attempting another OSX build. If this script works for others, please advise as I am learning and would like to know what I'm doing wrong.

If I come across anything else in question, I will post.. So far, very nice.

My hats off to tluck for a very stable OSX build on our beloved Thinkpads!  :)

• Like 1

All - to make it easier to install and maintain on the OS with Clover, I just posted a new guide and bundle Clover UEFI on T420 Guide WITHOUT the OEM folder steps. That is, there is a single common configuration for both the USB Installer and the OS (also bootsRecovery HD).  This configuration does use the custom dsdt.aml but it is now located in the top ACPI/patched folder. One no longer has to figure out the productID etc. Of course, you can still use this method/file layout if you choose to do so.  + made one more change - fixed up ssdt gen script to use included iasl tool instead of downloading it.

• Clover updated to v2703 - minor changes in config.plist to boot installation or recovery with OEM config
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext updated to v1.8.13 - Compiled and modified Info.plist(s) to add LENOVO T420 keys. Removed HP and few other non-relevant options in various Info.plist files
    Note: TrackPad pressure FingerZ value set to 47 - up from default of 30  - change to suite your touch inVoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2TrackPad.kext/Contents/Info.plist
  • Collapsed and removed OEM configuration step - single configuration for USB installers and/or HD OSX
  • Revised Pike's ssdt generation script and included local copy of iasl
  • Like 1

@tetonne - glad your efi boot from GPT is working now.

i did increase the "fingerZ" value which is about pressure on the trackpad from 30 to 47. ( i must have a heavy touch!) i will look for other differences in the Info.plist settings. but that may be why its less reactive. 

@angelogtc - download the latest zip and start by using the full clover zip and use the OEM config.plist i posted as is. make sure you follow the instruction to replace/install the kext on the HD. your config is not too far different - looks like  an older one with out all the dsdt fixing ( i diff-ed it with mine) 

folks:

i was thinking to remove the whole OEM folder thing altogether. It might make it more simple to manage. just 1 config file. anyone have thoughts one way or another?

It'm back doing the installation and construction of my hackintosh. 
I have had positive results audio. I also sleep, graphics etc ... 
But I still can not use Facetime and Imensage. The appstore if well. 
Any idea?

diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS MacOsX10.9              127.2 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk1

1:               Windows_NTFS Untitled                120.4 GB   disk1s1

2:                 DOS_FAT_32 MULTIMEDIA              199.6 GB   disk1s2

@Angelogtc

can you login to App Store and iCloud?

- what interface is your ethernet? usually should be en0 - did you do this sequence?

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelE1000e.kext
sleep
rm       /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

reboot

- i have heard some have to add credit card etc on your AppleID.

@Angelogtc

can you login to App Store and iCloud?

- what interface is your ethernet? usually should be en0 - did you do this sequence?

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelE1000e.kext

sleep 10

rm       /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

reboot

- i have heard some have to add credit card etc on your AppleID.

You're very quick to answer messages. thanks 
Do you sleep? hahaha I'll go to bed soon. 
I've tried that you mention several times. 
I tell you the problem. 
-I asked username and password, and we'll get. 
Then I detected the associated accounts. 
And then again ask me the username and password. loop

diskutil list

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN                     80.0 GB    disk0s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Power                   419.2 GB   disk0s3
   4:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s4

I'd like to install a dual boot 8.1 on disk0s2.
I create a 8.1 installer on a usb with RUFUS.

i installed 8.1, but can make it bootable.
can someone help?
i notice that the name on the WIN partition change? did someone notice that too?
for now i erase disk0s2 waiting for and how to for my working 10.9.3 HD thanks to tluck :).

@Tetonne

You don't need to erase disk0s2. You now need to run your 8.1 install usb again and run repair mode.

You will need to use bcdedit to restore the windows 8 bootloader and bcd info.

Verify that windows 8 boots. (OSX will be inaccessible temporarily).

Then boot from your OSX install USB and reinstall clover to the ESP.

Then Clover will become your bootloader for both operating systems.

This is precisely why i recommend installing OSX first, as it's easier (IMO) to install windows without having to mess with it. Windows relies on the ESP, its boot files are placed there during installation. OSX doesn't actually use ESP at all. It's only there to meet the spec.

• Like 1

@tetonne - Sheep_Reaper is correct. look at this post a few pages back -             #1048             and wetzel's post right after on what the ESP should look like and the command to create the bcd to match the partition.   Clover and Windows boot are separate - side by side - Clover finds the ms boot efi file and presents it as  boot option. there are 2 key pieces - bootmgfw.efi and the bcd file to point to your windows partition.  there are 2 names - the partition name - gpt can show (and rename) it if you want these names to match for some reason. and then there is the filesystem name (diskutil shows this). 

tluck@Toms-Mac ~

$ sudo gpt -r show -l disk0

start        size  index  contents

0           1         PMBR

1           1         Pri GPT header

2          32         Pri GPT table

34           6         

40      409600      1  GPT part - "EFI System Partition"

409640  1362786480      2  GPT part - "OSX+"

1363196120     1269544      3  GPT part - "Recovery HD"

1364465664   100681728      4  GPT part - "C+Win7"

1465147392        1743         

1465149135          32         Sec GPT table

1465149167           1         Sec GPT header

tluck@Toms-Mac ~

$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *750.2 GB   disk0

2:                  Apple_HFS OSX+                    697.7 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

4:       Microsoft Basic Data C                       51.5 GB    disk0s4

• Like 1

not so easy

sudo gpt -r show -l disk0

gpt show: disk0: Suspicious MBR at sector 0

start       size  index  contents

0          1         MBR                    i think it's due to clover install (component to have win/mac on same HD)

1          1         Pri GPT header

2         32         Pri GPT table

34          6         

40     409600      1  GPT part - "EFI System Partition"

409640       2008         

411648  156248064      2  GPT part - "WIN8"

156659712  818843880      3  GPT part - "Power"

975503592    1269536      4  GPT part - "Recovery HD"

976773128          7         

976773135         32         Sec GPT table

976773167          1         Sec GPT header

diskutil list

/dev/disk0

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0

2:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN                     80.0 GB    disk0s2

3:                  Apple_HFS Power                   419.2 GB   disk0s3

4:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s4

I copy file:///Volumes/WIN/Boot/ to file:///Volumes/EFI/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/

rename BOOTX64.efi to file:///Volumes/EFI/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

config

<key>GUI</key>

<dict>

<key>Custom</key>

<dict>

<key>Entries</key>

<array>

<dict>

<dict>

<key>Disabled</key>

<false/>

<key>FullTitle</key>

<string>OS X 10.9 - Power</string>

<key>Hidden</key>

<false/>

<key>Hotkey</key>

<string>m</string>

<key>Image</key>

<string>mav</string>

<key>InjectKexts</key>

<false/>

<key>NoCaches</key>

<false/>

<key>Type</key>

<string>OSX</string>

<key>Volume</key>

<string>Power</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Disabled</key>

<false/>

<key>FullTitle</key>

<string>OS X 10.9 - Recovery</string>

<key>Hidden</key>

<false/>

<key>Hotkey</key>

<string>r</string>

<key>InjectKexts</key>

<true/>

<key>NoCaches</key>

<false/>

<key>Type</key>

<string>OSXRecovery</string>

<key>Volume</key>

<string>Recovery HD</string>

</dict>

<key>Disabled</key>

<false/>

<key>FullTitle</key>

<string>Windows 8.1</string>

<key>Hidden</key>

<false/>

<key>Hotkey</key>

<string>w</string>

<key>Path</key>

<string>/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi</string>

<key>Type</key>

<string>Windows</string>

<key>Volume</key>

<string>WIN8</string>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

try to repair (i did this first) disk0s2 with the WIn8.1 USB installer without success. I use the item that propose to repair WIN8 boot.

the utility said failed.

pfff

did not find how to :bcdedit to restore the windows 8 bootloader and bcd info

Do i really need win? lol cos i want to give up :(

Hi all, 

I had another weird (not so) real problem. I remember correctly some days ago that I had an option to change display brightness level in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Display. Today I want to change the keyboard shortcut mapping to increase/decrease brightness, and weird.. the options is gone. Any suggestion to make it visible again? I see some people use fn+ScrLk/Pause, but I don't know how to use that.

@Tetonne - from the windows command line via repair run the bcdboot tool to fix the bcd file.

@trhoan - the patch i include will add the VGA on the side of the laptop. 

Note: this same kext patch replaces the 4th port/buffer (DVI on dock) with VGA on left side. The 4 ports after patch are: LCD, DisplayPort on side, DisplayPort on dock, VGA on side. If you need DVI on the dock - then you can either not do this! Or replace the 3rd port (DP) if you want the VGA.

there are only 4 buffers. LCD, DP on side, VGA on side and DP on dock - is the patch. you can change this use DVI on dock.

@parcox - the regular Scrlk and Pause (above F10/F11) keys map to brightness up/down like on a BT keyboard (F14/F15) . btw, that's a very cute baby!

• Like 1

@Tetonne - from the windows command line via repair run the bcdboot tool to fix the bcd file.

@trhoan - the patch i include will add the VGA on the side of the laptop. 

Note: this same kext patch replaces the 4th port/buffer (DVI on dock) with VGA on left side. The 4 ports after patch are: LCD, DisplayPort on side, DisplayPort on dock, VGA on side. If you need DVI on the dock - then you can either not do this! Or replace the 3rd port (DP) if you want the VGA.

there are only 4 buffers. LCD, DP on side, VGA on side and DP on dock - is the patch. you can change this use DVI on dock.

@parcox - the regular Scrlk and Pause (above F10/F11) keys map to brightness up/down like on a BT keyboard (F14/F15) . btw, that's a very cute baby!

@tluck

Thank for your info. Could you give me the detail where to configure it. I don't know howto do it

hoanf

@parcox - yes - look at the DSDT in the zip bundle. it has a PNLF device and modified PS2K (KBD). do you have the slider to modify display brightness in system prefs?

@trhoan - in general the method is a kext patch. Clover makes this very easy - its done in the config.plist (kext patch section). which port do you need? the default (no patch will give you all the digital ports) the patch i use in Clover config.plist replaces the DVI port from the dock with VGA on the side.

@tluck: if I used Digital Ports, how must I change in config.plist

<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Replace 4th port with VGA</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABAYAAAAEAAAJAAAA
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
AQIEABITAAASEwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABgIAABAAAAAJAAAA
</data>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>

@parcox - yes - look at the DSDT in the zip bundle. it has a PNLF device and modified PS2K (KBD). do you have the slider to modify display brightness in system prefs?

Yes, I have it. I already applied those patch but still there is no response from Scrlk/pause key.  :(

@parcox - well you could try my DSDT and then look for diffs.

@oxconan and trhoan - SNB patching.

you need to get a real Plist editor (for example, i use Plist Editor Pro - which is shareware) to translate the encoding. 

this what the kext patch in config.plist looks like in text. the red shows the 2 changes - 1) increased max brightness and in this case replace the 4th buffer to be VGA. so if you do not need VGA then just change the first line and leave the 4 buffers alone.

default -

(1) 0503 - LCD

(2) 0205 - DP on side

(3) 0304 - DP on dock

(4) 0406 - DVI on dock

original

01020400 10070000 10070000 

05030000 02000000 30000000 

02050000 00040000 07000000 

03040000 00040000 09000000 

04060000 00040000 09000000

patched